Topic: Greenpeace don't understand how fusion works.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I consider myself to be environmentally conscious. But honestly I think Greenpeace do the environment more harm then good by these ridiculous campaigns.

Quote from: Greenpeace
Greenpeace deplores the agreement by the Representatives of the Parties to the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) (1) to construct one of the world's largest nuclear fusion experiments in Cadarache, Southern France. The project, estimated to cost 10bn euros, will not generate any electricity, instead it will need massive amounts of energy to heat up.

Fusion energy - if it would ever operate - would create a serious waste problem, would emit large amounts of radioactive material and could be used to produce materials for nuclear weapons. A whole new set of nuclear risks would thus be created.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/press/releases/ITERprojectFrance/

So much stupid, they don't even understand basic science.

Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:36:41 am by Apostrophe Spacemonkey

Posted: December 09, 2015, 09:11:21 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Eco freaks are zealots dedicated to their cause.. No different from ISIS or the IRA in many ways.

Reply #1 Posted: December 09, 2015, 09:19:51 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I fully support the move to solar and wind as a source of renewable power. But research in fusion is equally important.

If we covered the whole planet (as much as practical) in solar panels and wind turbines, we would probably have enough capacity for another 50 years.  But eventually we are going to run out of room for solar and wind. Fusion power is still far in the future, but the research needs to happen now, and it's expensive.

Ironically, Greenpeace don't seam to care about the future, they only care about now. That's the same kind of thinking we had 50 years ago when we were burning all that coal.

Reply #2 Posted: December 09, 2015, 10:35:47 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
What about a 100 years ago when we were burning all those whales?

Where was Greenpeace then?

Reply #3 Posted: December 09, 2015, 05:31:03 pm

Offline ninjaweedman

• Just settled in
  • ninjaweedman has no influence.
Oh dear, this is one of the most retarded greenpeace statements I have read, and that says a lot. what reactor they being oblivious to? is this the big prototype fusion generator designed in germany with the wavy plasma ring thingy?
Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 07:33:51 pm by ninjaweedman

Reply #4 Posted: December 09, 2015, 06:58:15 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I should write up an agreement with greenpeace.

For every Watt the new fusion reactor consumes I give them $1, for every watt it produces, they give me $1.

Reply #5 Posted: December 09, 2015, 11:04:10 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K