Topic: What grinds your gears?

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Depends how it's used IMO.

Reply #150 Posted: January 24, 2010, 12:20:17 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10621938

"I made a decision today. My partner and myself decided to sell the truck," he said.

"My partner and I" - its not difficult. But when you hear All Blacks mangling the language in this way its hard for the morans not to follow suit.

Reply #151 Posted: January 24, 2010, 12:54:13 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Well yeah, like that it's silly.

But when telling a story or something... "There were three of us, James, Robert and myself." - Doesn't sound so silly to me.
Like a second-person listing. Of course, I wouldn't expect someone to keep that up through the entirety of the tale.
And that's about the only place I can think of using it like that, outside of it's intended use "I accidentally myself", etc.

Reply #152 Posted: January 24, 2010, 04:22:51 pm

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1055453
The word 'douche' for some reason. Espeically when used as a form of insult.

Never visit Canada then

Reply #153 Posted: January 24, 2010, 04:48:52 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: TofuEater;1055743
morans

This word grinds my gears

Could you please just use the word 'Numpty' instead? It only has one meaning, its not a sad attempt at irony and you can use it in scrabble

Reply #154 Posted: January 24, 2010, 06:41:44 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
"It's been great moment for myself," Henin said. "It's a great feeling to be back, been a great fight and thank you."

They obviously get into sport because rocket science isn't a career option.

Reply #155 Posted: January 25, 2010, 10:56:38 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
I think she might be allowed a little slack since I assume English is not her first language.

Reply #156 Posted: January 25, 2010, 11:07:15 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;1056076
They obviously get into sport because rocket science isn't a career option.

A shame really because Belgium has such a great space programme too.

Just kidding, I know what you mean. On a related note, people who lengthen a word to make it sound more intellectual when all they end up with is a made up one.

As an example - instead of saying "He was not easy to understand", they say "His incomprehensionability makes it difficult to understand his rationality". That really grinds my gears.

However, it soon grinds theirs because I then push the matter to get them to explain what they just said and then point out that they just made up a word. My habit of doing that probably grinds their gears, but I don't care :).

Reply #157 Posted: January 25, 2010, 11:07:43 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
When people quote an ENTIRE post and respond to one tiny, insignificant part of it. I'll give you an example:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t61279.html

The guy at the end quotes the entire first post and asks:
How did you turn it back to the new control panel?

Parents: Smack your kids if they do this

Reply #158 Posted: January 25, 2010, 06:19:53 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
War.
Mainstream media and its deception/ignorance/lack of reportage/superficiality.
Excessive wealth.
Willful littering.
Speeding.
Undercunting undercutting motorbikes.
The top 40.
Religion.
Social injustice.
Personal Music Devices made public.
SMS language.
Slappers and their make equivalents and the associated raucousness.
Most sports fans.
Having to fucking work (even though I love my job, work is so 20th Century).

Reply #159 Posted: January 25, 2010, 06:30:16 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Corporate speak

"Let's touch base", "going forward","Best practice","we did our due diligence" and many others that just make me want to scream.

Mostly these come from my work and the NZRFU

Reply #160 Posted: January 25, 2010, 06:36:12 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: kilabee;1056327
"we did our due diligence"

That is actually quite an important one and even using the phrase "best practice" is useful in the right setting. The other two I agree with. They are right up there with "I'll get my people to call your people and they can arrange for us to do lunch".

Reply #161 Posted: January 25, 2010, 06:39:36 pm

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
People

Who

Do

This

Annoying

Eh?

Reply #162 Posted: January 25, 2010, 10:25:41 pm
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: TofuEater;1055701
People who refer to themselves as "myself" in conversation as if it makes them sound more "highbrow". No, you fuckwit it just confirms your illiteracy.

You mean like this?  :heheh:

Reply #163 Posted: January 26, 2010, 06:43:58 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: kilabee;1056327
Corporate speak

"Let's touch base", "going forward","Best practice","we did our due diligence" and many others that just make me want to scream.

Mostly these come from my work and the NZRFU

Oh man totally.

The owner of the business that I work at says "in my world" all the time.

Like the fucker thinks he is in another world to us plebs or that he owns the entire world.

Pompass arsehole.

// Just had a little meeting.

He said;

"can we make a consieted effort on this"

A what?

Reply #164 Posted: January 26, 2010, 08:52:17 am

Offline Pyromanik

"Dub Dub Dub"
Wanna fucking smash the persons nose in whenever someone says that shit to me.

I heard something else in the car (on the radio) this morning... can't remember what it was now :(

Reply #165 Posted: January 26, 2010, 09:56:19 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1056558
"Dub Dub Dub"
Wanna fucking smash the persons nose in whenever someone says that shit to me.

I heard something else in the car (on the radio) this morning... can't remember what it was now :(

Yeah, that annoys me too.

Though tbh, whoever came up with the letter W was silly. We have 25 single syllable letters, lets add a letter with 3 syllables!

Reply #166 Posted: January 26, 2010, 10:01:08 am

Offline Pyromanik

They're all single syllable or under.
Unless you're 'naming' them.
Personally I always thought it looked more like a double V

Now that would be good right now. Certainly wake me up :>

Reply #167 Posted: January 26, 2010, 10:02:10 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Terrorists grind my gears

Reply #168 Posted: January 26, 2010, 10:02:15 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1056561
Though tbh, whoever came up with the letter W was silly.

Doesn't it stand for World Wide Web?

Of course, if you are referring to the letter in general, yes, that is somewhat inexplicable.

Reply #169 Posted: January 26, 2010, 10:13:39 am

Offline Pyromanik

^ yea he's talking about the letter literal.
"double-eugh double-eugh double-eugh" stands for "world wide web", yes. It's where we get the web standards authority w3c from (world wide web consortium... however if doing math though, that would conventionally be written as 3w I guess, although technically it doesn't matter).
But some lazy faggot with a slack jaw decided to shorten it. And it's pretty much only kiwi's that use the term widely. Even aussies who managed to shorted the exasperatingly long "Sarah" to "Sass" don't do it ffs. (well, at least not that I've come across).

People who get angry about nature grind my gears.

Oh, and also websites that force the usage of the old (redundant) www. subdomain.
Canterbury university of all fucking places is one ><
"canterbury.ac.nz" -> "This site does not exist" OH FUCKOFF!

Reply #170 Posted: January 26, 2010, 10:23:05 am

Offline Aezra

• Devoted Member
  • Aezra has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1056562
They're all single syllable or under.
Unless you're 'naming' them.
Personally I always thought it looked more like a double V

The 'double-yew' name might have something to do with the latin 'u', which is written 'V', therefore two 'u's would make VV etc. Just a guess though.

But yeah, 'dub dub dub' is pretty annoying, "Look at me, I'm internet-savvy." Lazy bastards.

Reply #171 Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:02:00 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1056579

Oh, and also websites that force the usage of the old (redundant) www. subdomain.

lol, that's pretty messed up, oh well canterbury's loss there.

I'll be happy to see away with the old www, at least in spoken language.

Reply #172 Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:02:19 am

Quote from: Aezra;1056586
The 'double-yew' name might have something to do with the latin 'u', which is written 'V', therefore two 'u's would make VV etc. Just a guess though.

Yeah, It was originally two V's or something. In some fonts, the V's cross over, like in Times Bew Roman, which looks pretty cool.
W
But system W is the best

Reply #173 Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:07:49 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1056579

Massey does that.

Might have something to do with the 'ac.nz'?

Reply #174 Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:07:52 am