Topic: What are you or have you kickstarted/indiegogo'd?

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Thought I'd fire up a thread as it's always interesting seeing what people are backing in the crowdfunding area. Especially as the sites are so crowded with potential projects, it would be good to see what others are, or have backed whether on Indiegogo or Kickstarter, or some other site, or even independently.

To fire it off, my toys:

Smart Herb Garden
A cool little desk garden which operates fantastically. I'd definitely recommend it for retail purchase, and I can see this getting stronger as a product over time. I'm growing Basil, Thyme & Lemon Balm. I had no issues with MAF (surprisingly), and the unit was perfect when it arrived. My only criticisms would be that they promised other seeds with the kickstarter which weren't delivered, there is no current way to get more cartridges for the garden, and one of the features I wanted (smartphone app) is not yet available.

Titanium Keychain tool
A small and easy purchase, this is just a titanium multi-tool. Was something I actually could see myself using, and lo and behold it's become very handy.

Fusion Plate
A simple tripod mount with a loop connected for attaching your shoulder strap. This is a solidly made piece of gear with the only downside I still need to buy a ball head for my tripod as I'm using a video fluid head lol. I still use them for the shoulder strap I have though.

HOT Watch
In the same vain as the Pebble watch, this a "smart" watch with some extra features. Has ended up having some extensive changes since I kickstarted, and will be a very interesting gadget once it arrives... In about 3 months. Which is only 4 months over it's touted arrival...

Legion Portable Battery
Just a standard portable battery for your gadget needs. This one has an ePaper readout to show various stats, and is also a giant 11,000 mAh for me. Supposed to arrive in the next month or so now Chinese New Year is over with.

What you guys rolled out with?

Posted: February 10, 2014, 03:19:03 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Smart Herb Garden looks awesome. Will have to get one. All my plant keep dyeing, having something like this on my desk will be fun.

Reply #1 Posted: February 10, 2014, 04:47:25 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Totally into the herb garden. Thanks for the tip Arsey.

That will be my first ever kickstarter pledge. Call me a cynic.

Reply #2 Posted: February 10, 2014, 04:56:22 pm

lol @ console hate

Codex

Project Phoenix
Project Phoenix is a JRPG with a squad based RTS game design, brought to you by veteran developers and creators from the East and West.

and this series:
Bee & PuppyCat

Reply #3 Posted: February 10, 2014, 05:52:39 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
It was on kickstarter at the beginning so i guess it counts.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Reply #4 Posted: February 10, 2014, 06:39:05 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Michron: Timelapse intervalometer
Timelapse device, lots of features. Controlled via smartphone app and phone can be disconnected from device once set. Has not arrived yet, should do late March.

The Legion battery device looks pretty cool.

Reply #5 Posted: February 10, 2014, 08:40:11 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Michron: Timelapse intervalometer
Timelapse device, lots of features. Controlled via smartphone app and phone can be disconnected from device once set. Has not arrived yet, should do late March.

The Legion battery device looks pretty cool.

Shit that's pretty sweet - keen to hear how it goes dude.

The Smart Herb Garden I threw a question at the creator of the KS campaign for you guys to see when shit was going to be available for retail. The dude replied pretty quick and said that they'd be sending it live once they refined the design and the updates they wanted to make and maybe the retail version would be a newer version than the one we got.

In the meantime, here's a pic of mine next to my desk right now!

Reply #6 Posted: February 11, 2014, 12:57:23 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Noth'n. 'Cause I'm a cunt like that.

Reply #7 Posted: February 11, 2014, 08:35:32 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Codex

That's fucking sweet arsey

Reply #8 Posted: February 11, 2014, 08:39:49 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Funding actual stuff, so much cooler than funding software :<

Reply #9 Posted: February 11, 2014, 08:43:06 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Elite Dangerous

And

Civitas which cancelled it's kickstarter after getting secret investor funding then promptly died (which means the KS being cancelled probably saved me loosing some $$$)

Reply #10 Posted: February 11, 2014, 12:27:48 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I've been tempted in the past, but it's hard to find stuff that's actually cool that actually interests you that you think might actually benefit you in some way (that you want) that you think will actually get funded and not end up being a bunch of cash down the drain.

I've found a couple of cool things but no spare cash and such. It's a far sounder investment to kickstart my keeping an abode for rent than it is to have a cool 3d printer filliment dispenser for the 3d printer I don't have, etc.

Or if someone tried to kickstart something like phoneblocks. I could see many a derphead throwing a fist of cash, but all it'd make me want to do is throw a fist, sans cash.

Maybe one day I'll have leisurely cash and run across something that intrigues me, I can see benefit in & think I'd actually use (more than once) if I had the option to purchase it. Oh, and was a sound investment rather than "LOL HAVE MONEY BECAUSE I LIKE YOUR IDEA"

Hence, funding tangible better than funding intangible. And I don't either. But that could change, maybe one day.

Eg. click and grow. That shit's cool, and I could see myself funding/buying one, if I owned a house, had spare cash and stable job/life, etc. But I have exactly zero of any of these, so yeh.
Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:03:47 am by Pyromanik

Reply #11 Posted: February 12, 2014, 09:00:49 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Great call Pyro - that's why I wanted to post this thread because those are the same reasons I look at Kickstarter & Indiegogo for stuff I'll actually use that are good ideas. Unfortunately, when you take this approach there is typically stuff all that you end up backing, but as per my OP, I had a couple of cool things because I wanted and have wanted for a long time a fresh herb garden of sorts. The WTF Titanium tool was a cheap useful tool that I could see myself using, and the same for the battery. The Hot Watch was a definite punt, but is also something I've wanted for a while, and it was my Christmas present to myself, which many end up being this year's present at the rate it's going.

So I agree with your post, and hope that peeps can share the things they roll out on so we can all jump on board, and consequently share stories etc.

Reply #12 Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:32:09 am

Offline Pyromanik

ppl can share the things they roll out on so we can all jump on board, and consequently share stories etc.

On.... fuck. GETSOME crowdfunding thread. Like a filter for non-shit things folks of like mind deem worthy of a bit of investment.

You hurd it here first (lol getit? CROWD fund pun right there).

Get on board with shit that isn't shit that could be worth backing.

Reply #13 Posted: February 13, 2014, 10:32:30 am

Codex

Just put some towards this little awesome looking title
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171497873/earthlock-festival-of-magic

Reply #14 Posted: March 27, 2014, 09:50:12 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Warmachine: Tactics

Never really gone looking for stuff to kickstart, but put a little behind that because it looked cool.

Reply #15 Posted: March 27, 2014, 12:21:08 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I think we need to start crowd funding missions in space.

Otherwise er're all going to die of economic decisions.

Reply #16 Posted: March 31, 2014, 10:33:53 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I think we need to start crowd funding missions in space.

Otherwise er're all going to die of economic decisions.

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/ + kickstarter = ?

Reply #17 Posted: March 31, 2014, 11:02:57 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Okay, I went on a bit of a spastic run at Kickstarter and IndieGogo...

Tickle King Documentary
A story in it's own right, but a twisted journalistic adventure that I've been following from David Farrier. I'm more keen to see how it all evolves, so my backing of this is to assist Farrier to make it all happen.

Carbon Fibre Wallet
Because I fucking can.

Blue Mountain State Movie
A TV series I watched and enjoyed, so thought I'd jump on this movie bandwagon. It's become one of the most funded campaigns on KS as well, which is no mean feat.

Dig Down Dwarf - Dice Game
I occasionally look over the board games, and typically they're all rinse and repeat. This one appealed for it's differences, but also the creator is a seasoned KS campaigner, and is including all sorts of bonuses, some completely unadvertised as well. Will be a sweet little board game combined with a very good looking box and set.

Mirobot DIY robot for kids
Pretty self explanatory, but it's the full kitset. The kids will be able to solder it, program it, and expand on it. I'm looking forward to this one for my eldest daughter as a birthday present.

Legion Meter
Just another fast charge device for your smart phone (which all they do is drop the data port and re-route it to send charge to the phone), but this has a little e-paper readout. It's made by the same people who made the battery I bought (in OP).

La Fenice Induction Coffee Maker
Other than being a fancy looking piece of kit made by Italians, it does some cool shit with coffee via an induction process. Also comes with a frother and lots of cool add ons. If it makes a few stretch goals, the dude is going to add all sorts of functionality, so I'm pretty excited about this one - by the time it arrives, it'll be an awesome Christmas present.

NIWA - smartphone controlled growing system
A climate controlled growing system with smartphone controls. I've enjoyed the herb garden I bought, but the major drawback is the peat moss and seeds all have to go through MAF increasing the cost. This system will be all potted and planted by me, so makes for a more open option for me to grow peppers, or tomatoes or anything else!

Lunecase
A little bit of a different case - has glowing shit on the back when a call or text or other comes through. This is more a curiosity purchase than anything, but given I'll soon have two bloody iPhones for work and personal, it will at least get some use ;)

Gokey - charger, cable etc.
Pretty self explanatory - a few cool features in one keyring thing.

Reply #18 Posted: May 26, 2014, 11:01:28 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
If I had an iPhone, I'd not buy the Lunecase purely based on that shitty, stereotypical demo vid. Holy crap what a bunch of marketing dribble.

Also, was that a kiwi as the marketing dude? I want to punch him in the throat for not only looking like a giant spastic douche, but for coming up with such a shitty demo vid.

Case seems cool though, if a little superfluous. I never put my cellphone face down on surfaces. Whole thing has kind of a vapourware feel to it, kind of scammy.

Reply #19 Posted: May 26, 2014, 11:14:21 am

Codex

If I had an iPhone, I'd not buy the Lunecase purely based on that shitty, stereotypical demo vid. Holy crap what a bunch of marketing dribble.

Also, was that a kiwi as the marketing dude? I want to punch him in the throat for not only looking like a giant spastic douche, but for coming up with such a shitty demo vid.

Case seems cool though, if a little superfluous. I never put my cellphone face down on surfaces. Whole thing has kind of a vapourware feel to it, kind of scammy.
Ah now when I had an iphone I never cared what way I put it so it usually went face down, why? No notification light. Makes sense to have a case like this when there are no visual signs of notifications otherwise. Didn't watch the video though.

Legion meter is tempting

Lunecase looks cool, but iphone, no ty.

Induction coffee machine looks epic too, sent that to my rents

Niwa looks awesome, would be great for apartment life, will keep an eye on that

everything else, meh

Reply #20 Posted: May 26, 2014, 11:21:50 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Niwa does look effing awesome.

The backing options are confusing as fuck though. Might wait until things are a little clearer when it comes to purchasing options.

Reply #21 Posted: May 26, 2014, 11:40:40 am

Codex

^Yeah I agree

Also hue hue hue にわ/庭 (niwa) means garden

hue hue hue hue

Reply #22 Posted: May 26, 2014, 11:43:32 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Niwa does look effing awesome.

The backing options are confusing as fuck though. Might wait until things are a little clearer when it comes to purchasing options.

I think this is happening a little too much with backing options because of Kickstarter's rules around what you can and can't offer as a backer reward. It's why product creators (as opposed to more artistic things like movies, books, or shows etc.) are more moving to Indiegogo - as well as the fact the money is taken then and there for Indiegogo where KS waits until the project is funded before charging you.

For the Niwa, I got the $249 Mini Early bird deal. The size is all I'll need to get some small plants running, and I'd also like it on my desk instead of taking up a whole fucking corner like the big one will. I'd have loved to get the Premium version, but unless I have some solid surety that the product will be mint, I'm more cautious. This as an example is what I did with the La Fenice - I took the $370 option because it looks legit, and these guys clearly know what they're doing.

yeah, the marketing vid was average, but I want it for the features, as I do often have my phone face down in meetings and if I'm out when I put it on the table. Like I said before, more of an interest purchase for something different at a very cheap price than anything else.

Reply #23 Posted: May 26, 2014, 12:19:53 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
interesting stuff arsey. love the feedback on it too.

id love to put my dream project up for funding, but itl never get the funding :S plus i dont think its in the allowed list of products.

Reply #24 Posted: May 26, 2014, 01:14:59 pm