Topic: The V8 Coffee Table

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
So I've wanted one of these for longer than top gear has had their V12 (I'm a hipster petrol head ok?)

I bidded on a few blocks over the years, bidded on a few blocks with a few parts, I always wanted one with at least the block, crank, conrods and pistons, also it has to be an ally engine, I don;t want an ugly steel one, one night my old flatmate was yarning while drunk about how he had this rover V8 sitting in a gorse bush, later I swapped him a wrx block for it (cost me $60) sooooo $60 for my V8 and I was happy.

He went and picked it up and I left it in the front lawn under a bush in my front yard for a few months.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7703[/ATTACH]

I finally started tearing it down tonight...

Posted: January 29, 2013, 09:40:49 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
pics!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7704[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7705[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7706[/ATTACH]

Reply #1 Posted: January 30, 2013, 09:19:37 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Geeez, did you take these photos with a potato?

Reply #2 Posted: January 30, 2013, 09:55:34 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Growler;1516372
Geeez, did you take these photos with a potato?

nah galaxy s2 while i was getting the pushie out of the garage, it might still be on macro mode....

Reply #3 Posted: January 30, 2013, 10:21:34 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Should have taken the photos with an iPhone.

Coffee table looks like a piece of shit.

Reply #4 Posted: January 30, 2013, 01:07:41 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Going to be cool. Keep us posted.

Reply #5 Posted: January 30, 2013, 01:51:03 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Are you going to tear it right down to just the bare block?

Reply #6 Posted: January 30, 2013, 02:17:56 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pitchey;1516387
Are you going to tear it right down to just the bare block?

tear it down to the block, clean up crank, conrods, pistons, (remove rings) lightly grease all contacting parts, build a small stepper motor controller and gear it to rotate the engine a full turn every 12 hours.

One bank is going to keep the cam shaft, valves and push rods.

I was going to put it on castor wheels, possibly on a nice ally chassis, but I might also bolt some really fucking heavy leaf springs on the bottom to act as "legs" except I don't want it to bounce (unless I do?! trampoline V8 coffee table!)

I saw Kevin McCloud's Man Mande Home on Sunday night and liked that sort of steam punk, slightly dirty look he made his chair

Kind of like buff up the steel parts on the extremities so it's all silvery, but leave the deep recesses and things blackened.

but maybe not, I was going to paint it up a nice sky blue or try polishing the rough ally and put a clear coat on it, Anyone have any other ideas?

Reply #7 Posted: January 30, 2013, 04:11:12 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
ally?

Reply #8 Posted: January 30, 2013, 05:47:59 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Aluminium, but if you are American Aluminum.

Reply #9 Posted: January 30, 2013, 05:57:28 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: deanox;1516413
Aluminium, but if you are American Aluminum.

this, or alloy, context dependant, probably a really bad habit.

Reply #10 Posted: January 30, 2013, 06:28:03 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
I read op haha
Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:44:13 pm by deanox

Reply #11 Posted: January 30, 2013, 06:38:15 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516424
this, or alloy, context dependant, probably a really bad habit.

Yeah, I was thinking you'd typo'd alloy.
But then I saw it again so I thought you'd mis-spelt it.
But then I thought "Dave is smarter than that"
So then I thought it might have been some derpy autocorrect.

Reply #12 Posted: January 30, 2013, 06:47:06 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
Give it a real good degrease, then acid wash it with some industrial acid, then polish what you can, that will bring up the 'ally' really nice and paint exposed steel satin black and keep the moving steel parts oiled with a lighter oil that keeps them from oxidising but doesn't hide their mechanical beauty!

Reply #13 Posted: January 30, 2013, 06:55:05 pm

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
  • Ninja has no influence.
replaced the coolant in my water to air intercooler, the old
shit was red/brown and fucking gross

Reply #14 Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:20:24 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Ninja;1516551
replaced the coolant in my water to air intercooler, the old
shit was red/brown and fucking gross

lol ninja, wrong thread? or epic hijack?

Reply #15 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:11:41 am

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
  • Ninja has no influence.
nope, im gonna go with massive browser fuckup :/ seriously i got huge problems with GetSome atm

cant view threads, pics not loading, and this sort of crap
sigh

Reply #16 Posted: February 02, 2013, 12:32:32 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Codex

PB blaster and a whiz wheel, buff that baby up

Reply #17 Posted: February 04, 2013, 11:48:04 am

Offline Pyromanik

Hi Ninja
As codex said, try updating punkbuster, works for me.
Hope it helps.
Cheers, Pyromanik.

Reply #18 Posted: February 06, 2013, 08:43:08 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Pulled off the other exhaust manifold last night, snapped off bolts wont be too much of a hassle, I'll heat em up and get on to them with the vice grips when I get round to purchasing a pair.

Gave the engine a quick degrease with some oven cleaner, I know it's bad on ally (uminium) but I was quick and it hasn't done anything bad. worked quite well as a first go, I'll get some proper degreaser once I get further into the engine, I need a few tools for getting the conrods off and the pully off the end of the crankshaft.

Reply #19 Posted: February 07, 2013, 07:21:22 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Just drill them out?
(ermm, manifold bolts that is)
Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:40:44 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #20 Posted: February 07, 2013, 07:38:13 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1517175
Just drill them out?
(ermm, manifold bolts that is)

Nah I've got a solid 10-15mm to grip on to, a smack with the hammer, a tonne of 5.56 and a solid grip on the pliers ought to see 'em pop out.

Might try heating, the ally will probably suck up all the heat though.

Reply #21 Posted: February 07, 2013, 07:57:47 pm

Offline Pyromanik

heat stud, expands in hole, gets more stuck?
Or you mean heat head, loosen grip on stud? In which case you want the heat to be in the Al...

Reply #22 Posted: February 07, 2013, 11:18:14 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1517204
heat stud, expands in hole, gets more stuck?
Or you mean heat head, loosen grip on stud? In which case you want the heat to be in the Al...

heat head, the aluminium will expand at a different rate to the steel bolt freeing it.

except there's lots of aluminium and it'll move the heat away almost faster than I can put it down.

I think a whack with a hammer and a squirt of CRC every now and then ought to do it.

Reply #23 Posted: February 08, 2013, 08:24:25 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Ok so I've competely forgotten about this thread.

I have the whole thing apart now, except for one bank of head and I cant work out how the gudgeon pins come out of this fuckin thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7976[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7977[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7979[/ATTACH]

As you can see there's carbon and rust and grease and oil all over this fucker.

Am I best to get it acid dipped? what're the costs like? any recommendations in chch?

Reply #24 Posted: September 15, 2013, 04:59:21 pm