Topic: fuck I love science

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1492716
I dont believe in a particle that facilitates quantum chromodynamics.

So a Higgs Boson walks into a church.
The Pastor says "I'm sorry, but we do not allow Higgs Bosons in here"
The Higgs Boson simply replies; "But without me, how can you have mass?"

No one liked it when they basically said that a Jedi's power was predetermined at birth either, it's just bullshit.

Reply #25 Posted: July 08, 2012, 11:45:40 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
A new XKCD section. What If?

Reply #26 Posted: July 10, 2012, 08:20:01 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
the batter would be considered "hit by pitch", and would be eligible to advance to first base.

Lol =P

Reply #27 Posted: July 10, 2012, 08:30:13 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Dr Woomanchu;1493504
A new XKCD section. What If?

tl;dr

KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Reply #28 Posted: July 10, 2012, 10:00:50 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Wait...I realise we're onto higgs tits now but I think given the title of that news item, we need to spend some more time considering the virus...

"A virus that creates electricity"

creates? CREATES?!? IT CREATES ELECTRICITY?!?!

surely this is far more important than discovering something that was always there? something that's been around for 14.6 billion years, and we've only just cottoned on to now?

This virus will solve all of our energy problems! no more worries about crude oil, lithium batteries, coal, hydroelectric dams covering pretty hill sides and noisy wind farms, no longer do we have to worry about global warming, war, famine, money, power and greed!

We can all quit our jobs and laze around on a beach for the rest of our lives! woohoo! I'm outta here! see ya's!

Reply #29 Posted: July 11, 2012, 02:30:31 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1493592
Wait...I realise we're onto higgs tits now but I think given the title of that news item, we need to spend some more time considering the virus...

"A virus that creates electricity"

http://io9.com/5910682/a-virus-that-creates-electricity
A virus that creates electricity

A virus called simply M13 has the power (literally) to change the world. A team of scientists at the Berkeley Lab have genetically engineered M13 viruses to emit enough electricity to power a small LED screen. M13 poses no threat to humans — it can only infect bacteria — but it could one day serve humanity by powering your laptop, or even your city.

Colour me skeptical. However:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080103101137.htm
Fuel Cell That Uses Bacteria To Generate Electricity

ScienceDaily (Jan. 3, 2008) — Researchers at the Biodesign Institute are using the tiniest organisms on the planet -- bacteria -- as a viable option to make electricity. In a new study featured in the journal Biotechnology and Bioengineering, lead author Andrew Kato Marcus and colleagues Cesar Torres and Bruce Rittmann have gained critical insights that may lead to commercialization of a promising microbial fuel cell (MFC) technology.

Was always interesting!

Reply #30 Posted: July 11, 2012, 02:54:48 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
M13 poses no threat to humans

Not intresting.

I'm only intresting in things which have the ability to kill all humans.

Reply #31 Posted: July 11, 2012, 03:37:40 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1493594
http://io9.com/5910682/a-virus-that-creates-electricity

Colour me skeptical. However:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080103101137.htm

Was always interesting!

yeah, great, keep all your research on a database, so when skynet takes over it has a shortcut to a good idea....

but seriously, I doubt the bacteria can convert enough biomass into energy to push even itself...a quick scan of the rest of the article doesnt suggest any numbers....

Reply #32 Posted: July 11, 2012, 05:40:10 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Electricity is an energy.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transphased into other forms of energy. (Yeah that's right, I probably just made that word up. Deal with it.)

Where does the virus harvest the energy from?
Converting the bacterium's chemical potential energy?
Virus' destroy things. They'd destroy the nucleus of the bacterium.
What kind of impact will that have on our environment?
What happens when there's no more bacteria?

The human body relies on bacteria.
The human body also produces electricity.
If the virus cannot infect humans, but can still infect the bacteria in the human, would destroying all the humans bacteria also affect the human? Would they feel ill, would the extra electricity have a harmful effect on the operation of the human body?

CONVERGE ON GREY MASS THEORY, ONLY WITHOUT ROBOTS.
Honestly, wtf science, I thought you were better than this. Fuckoff with your genetic engineering.
Self harming virus has to be the most retarded way to end the world.
Bring on homocidal robots.

Reply #33 Posted: July 12, 2012, 09:30:28 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Shit just got intresting.

Reply #34 Posted: July 12, 2012, 09:34:14 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1493814
Electricity is an energy.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transphased into other forms of energy. (Yeah that's right, I probably just made that word up. Deal with it.)

Where does the virus harvest the energy from?
Converting the bacterium's chemical potential energy?
Virus' destroy things. They'd destroy the nucleus of the bacterium.
What kind of impact will that have on our environment?
What happens when there's no more bacteria?

The human body relies on bacteria.
The human body also produces electricity.
If the virus cannot infect humans, but can still infect the bacteria in the human, would destroying all the humans bacteria also affect the human? Would they feel ill, would the extra electricity have a harmful effect on the operation of the human body?

CONVERGE ON GREY MASS THEORY, ONLY WITHOUT ROBOTS.
Honestly, wtf science, I thought you were better than this. $#@!off with your genetic engineering.
Self harming virus has to be the most retarded way to end the world.
Bring on homocidal robots.

We'll get the nanobots to kill all viri, then when there's no more viri the aliens will be able to attack without fear of getting a cold.

THEN

we get the robots to fight the aliens for us, then when there's no aliens....

THEN

the robots take over.

exciting times!

Reply #35 Posted: July 12, 2012, 10:03:16 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Shit'll never progress that far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

Although it probably will get this far:

Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:17:20 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #36 Posted: July 12, 2012, 10:14:12 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Man she has awesome tits.

+1 for science making awesome tits.

Reply #37 Posted: July 13, 2012, 09:57:05 am

Offline deamora

• Devoted Member
  • deamora has no influence.

Reply #38 Posted: August 25, 2012, 07:00:36 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
http://gizmodo.com/5939642/newly-discovered-hulk-protein-could-make-you-a-beefcake-without-the-weights?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Stop/Destroy/Fuck over a gene in the womb, and you become instant strong.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ you guys are all slow today. Pick up forum activity now
Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:52:30 pm by `Kyane Reeves

Reply #39 Posted: September 02, 2012, 05:40:02 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

Hmmm. This is an interesting development!

http://phys.org/news/2013-01-atoms-negative-absolute-temperature-hottest.html

http://phys.org/news/2013-01-gas-temperature-absolute.html
(Phys.org)—A team of physicists in Germany have succeeded in forcing a gas to become colder than absolute zero. Using lasers and a magnetic field to manipulate an ultra-cold gas, the researchers, as they describe in their paper published in the journal Science, managed to coax the temperature of the gas to a few billionths of a Kelvin below absolute zero.

Reply #40 Posted: January 07, 2013, 08:46:07 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I fucking love science, great facebook page for anyone interested.

http://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience

My other favourite:

http://www.facebook.com/Atheism411

Reply #41 Posted: January 07, 2013, 08:55:38 am

I don't love science. I perfer voodoo magic.

Reply #42 Posted: January 07, 2013, 09:54:56 am

Offline Tiwaking!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2189318/Atom-smashing-scientists-reach-highest-recorded-man-temperature--100-000-TIMES-hotter-Suns-interior.html

Atom-smashing scientists reach highest ever recorded man-made temperature - 100,000 TIMES hotter then the Sun's interior
Quote from: Damien Gayle

PUBLISHED: 08:14 GMT, 20 August 2012  | UPDATED: 06:38 GMT, 21 August 2012
Physicists at CERN's Large Hadron Collider have broken a record by achieving the hottest man-made temperatures ever - 100,000 times hotter than the interior of the Sun.

Scientists there collided lead ions to create a searingly hot sub-atomic soup known as quark-gluon plasma at about 5.5trillion C, the hottest temperature ever recorded in an experiment.

That's about 40 per cent hotter the old record, set by the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Laboratory, New York, by smashing gold ions together.

Hmm. I cant seem to find Quark-Muon plasma. Oh well, I guess this stuff will do

Reply #43 Posted: January 23, 2013, 11:39:11 am

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1513727
Researchers force a gas to a temperature below absolute zero

http://phys.org/news/2013-01-atoms-negative-absolute-temperature-hottest.html

http://phys.org/news/2013-01-gas-temperature-absolute.html

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1515780
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2189318/Atom-smashing-scientists-reach-highest-recorded-man-temperature--100-000-TIMES-hotter-Suns-interior.html

Atom-smashing scientists reach highest ever recorded man-made temperature - 100,000 TIMES hotter then the Sun's interior

Hmm. I cant seem to find Quark-Muon plasma. Oh well, I guess this stuff will do

I'll have to redo Spacemonkeys scale of coolness, the only official scale, for everything.

Reply #44 Posted: January 23, 2013, 12:54:48 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
Why isn't my car running on M13 yet?

Reply #45 Posted: January 31, 2013, 04:38:31 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/8802118/New-York-tech-con-explores-immortality

Geeking out about this today.

I don't see immortality in terms of a robitc body a problem for humanity, sure you may still compete for work, but it's not like you'd be consuming/excreting.

Personally if I were converted to a robotic body because my human body was dying I'd build a body capable of space flight and fuck off to mars etc

Reply #46 Posted: June 17, 2013, 11:02:17 am

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1527225
Personally if I were converted to a robotic body because my human body was dying I'd build a body capable of space flight and fuck off to mars etc

Hell yes. Immortality.

The colonization of other planets would be a perfect application for our immortal robot bodies. Immune to the effects of radiation, requirements for food and water etc.

They would make an excellent precursor to preparing a planet for organic human colonists.

His Timeline is very aggressive.

• By 2020, robots we can control remotely with our brains.
  • By 2025, a scenario familiar to watchers of sci-fi cartoon show Futurama: the capability to transplant the brain into a life-support system, which could be a robot body. Essentially, a robot prosthesis that can replace an ailing, perhaps dying body.
  • By 2035, the ability to move the mind into a computer, eliminating the need for the robot bodies to carry around wet, messy brains.
  • By 2045, technology nirvana in the form of artificial brains controlling insubstantial, hologram bodies.

We can already control robots remotely with our brains, if not very accurately, it's just a question of refining the process.

I don't think it will be possible to move the 'mind' into a computer. The brain is hardware, not software (excuse the pun), and you can't move one set of hardware into another set of hardware.

But you can link hardware, so what I would imagine, is your brain sitting in a vat in some secure location, wirelessly connected to your robotic avatar. If your avatar gets damaged, it can easily be replaced. (aka Surrogates)
Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:26:05 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #47 Posted: June 17, 2013, 11:23:13 am

From the article

"I'm not too fond of the idea of immortality, because I think it will be deathly boring," he said, with a twinkle in his eyes. Giving up our bodies could also be problematic, he said.

For one, I would imagine that most people would only do so when they are very old, so giving up your body probably wouldn't be a problem if it's only got a few years left in it anyway.

And I just can't understand how anyone could consider immortality boring. They must be very boring people to start of with if that's the case.

For me, there are so many things I would like to do, and I can't fit them into a normal human lifespan.

Reply #48 Posted: June 17, 2013, 11:44:55 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1527227
But you can link hardware, so what I would imagine, is your brain sitting in a vat in some secure location, wirelessly connected to your robotic avatar. If your avatar gets damaged, it can easily be replaced. (aka Surrogates)

Laaaaaaaaaag.

Imagine latency to mars....I think keeping the brain with the robot is the best option, you can put a titanium thinger around it, harder and stronger than bone, oh and more cushioning to reduce the chance of the brain colliding with the side of the vessel in a fight with a space dinosaur.

Travel would be best if the brain could be dropped into a semi-conscious coma, go to sleep after exiting earths gravitational field, wake up nearing mars....I'd want to wake up somewhere in between though just to revel in the moment of human superiority and experience whatever it is you would experience when you're 25 million km from the place you were born.
Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:00:48 pm by Bounty Hunter

Reply #49 Posted: June 17, 2013, 11:56:26 am