Topic: Xbox Kinect

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spork;1336349
So, the Kinect is about 100% better than Move?

Move is better for traditional gaming.
Kinect is better for casual gaming.

Reply #25 Posted: November 28, 2010, 09:49:40 pm

Offline MindRiotNz

• Just settled in
  • MindRiotNz has no influence.
looks like a total blast..

Reply #26 Posted: November 28, 2010, 10:24:44 pm

"The internet is not something that you just dump something on. It\'s not a big truck. It\'s, it\'s a series of tubes."

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

I would call them different peripherals that wouldn't be able to compete against each other. You could own both systems and still use both without favouring one over the other.

Reply #27 Posted: November 29, 2010, 10:35:59 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Playstation move comes with a Marital Aid. That has be worth some points.

Reply #28 Posted: November 29, 2010, 03:57:46 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Move is more accurate then kinetic as well. Kinetics accuracy, from what i have read, is on par with the wii.

So it all comes down to whether you look more ridiculous waving your arms around in the air with a glowing wizard staff, or without one.

Reply #29 Posted: November 29, 2010, 07:59:34 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Move provides the rotation and position of one single point in 3D space with a high degree of accuracy.
Kinect provides a depth map and 20 of so positions in 3D space with an average degree of accuracy.

Quite different really.

Reply #30 Posted: November 29, 2010, 08:11:03 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1336698
Move provides the rotation and position of one single point in 3D space with a high degree of accuracy.
Kinect provides a depth map and 20 of so positions in 3D space with an average degree of accuracy.

Quite different really.

I meant in the sense of comparing kinetic to move. Obviously kinetic has capabilities, the move doesn't (and i would consider it much better than the move), but if you wanted them for the same application (say a game where you need to navigate around tight corners), the move would be better.

Reply #31 Posted: November 29, 2010, 08:29:46 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1336411
I only develop using the official licensed kinect SDK as an licensed Xbox developer so there is no way you can get the same tools and libraries as I do.
This makes me a sad panda. I was hoping to surprise Ken yesterday.

I wonder what will happen when the advisory council finds out that they have invested money in a device that has no useful purpose other than playing games?
Quote from: Bell;1334608
It doesn't really do fingers.
Looks like I'll have to stick with sello taping two wiimotes to my hands and using that then.

Like Wolverine with Wiimotes.

Wiiverine.

Reply #32 Posted: November 30, 2010, 08:04:59 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I hooked up my rock band guitar to my PC, going to use it as a controller for my XNA game.

Reply #33 Posted: November 30, 2010, 08:07:05 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1336793
I hooked up my rock band guitar to my PC, going to use it as a controller for my XNA game.
Dont bother watching this video.

The title is cool enough.

p.s - If you are wondering about the title of this post, one of the characters from the video game "The Last Blade 2" uses a fishing pole as a weapon.

Reply #34 Posted: November 30, 2010, 08:46:11 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
What kind of game could someone makes using the drum kit I wonder.

Reply #35 Posted: December 01, 2010, 09:00:25 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Bell;1336413

Move is for traditional gaming.
Kinect is for robotics, and sometimes gaming.
fixed :D

Reply #36 Posted: December 01, 2010, 09:24:10 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Bell;1334608
It doesn't really do fingers.
Ran into this from the TVNZ webpage:

http://www.conceivablytech.com/1377/products/5-reasons-why-xbox-360-kinect-could-fail/
Limited body recognition

Tied to the camera capability is what appears to be very limited body recognition. According to IGN, Kinect’s sensor cannot recognize skeletal movements (Microsoft says 48 skeletal points, down to fingers, are tracked) while the gamer is sitting, which means that Kinect games will only work when you are standing up, even if you are trying to navigate through menus using just your hands. If you sit down, Kinect will only work with voice recognition. Imagine that playing a simple game while you actually sit on the couch will not work anymore.

I am hoping Microsoft were telling the truth here, even if it was tested 'under special conditions'.

Then again: I've already proven you can play Kinect games while seated in a CHAIR, even if the chair starts flying.

Reply #37 Posted: December 13, 2010, 11:17:22 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
The hands generally work sitting down

Reply #38 Posted: December 13, 2010, 11:57:45 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Bell;1335563
I've pretty much played all of the release titles now.
This one looks like fun - Fighters Uncaged:

Have you played it Bell?

Reply #39 Posted: December 27, 2010, 07:49:20 pm

The Kinect SDK will be available sometime this year. I'll be getting a Kinect when that's released, if not sooner.

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-confirms-kinect-windows-sdk-due-in-spring/?utm_campaign=twitterwp&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Reply #40 Posted: February 22, 2011, 08:45:56 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Exciting. Might be worth buying one of those. I want to see if i can get it to do 3D mapping better than the cameras we have at work (which are pretty bad). Hopefully the SDK won't be windows only.

Reply #41 Posted: February 22, 2011, 11:32:47 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
What exactly do you need to do 3D mapping on?

Reply #42 Posted: February 22, 2011, 12:44:47 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1362214
What exactly do you need to do 3D mapping on?

Just mapping of environments, and object detection. Its just for a mobile robot, that needs to move in unknown environments. You can use any two camera setup, but kinetic is good, because it can be used to play games on the xbox as well.

Reply #43 Posted: February 22, 2011, 01:08:32 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
The IR on the kinect would work pretty well for object detection.

Reply #44 Posted: February 22, 2011, 01:14:20 pm

I got the Kinect yesterday. We got Dance Central because my gf wanted to play it.

Originally I didn't care much for Kinect Adventures, but there was no way to buy the Kinect without it. But after playing it i'm glad I got it, it's pretty fun, and i'm pretty impressed by it and how it tracks my body movements.

Unfortunately we can't play two player without rearranging all the future in the whole house.

I'm looking forward to Kinect SDK.

Reply #45 Posted: March 09, 2011, 09:47:16 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Is the Dance Central any good? Think it might be the next one I get for the girls....

Reply #46 Posted: March 09, 2011, 10:52:38 am

lol @ console hate

Quote from: Daddy Clin;1366804
Is the Dance Central any good? Think it might be the next one I get for the girls....

I couldn't get the dance moves right, but I have no style.

I guess it's good if your into dancing.

Reply #47 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:27:15 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Wife was a jazz instructor, so maybe she'll dig it..

Reply #48 Posted: March 09, 2011, 11:30:19 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Daddy Clin;1366804

Yep chicks love it.

Reply #49 Posted: March 09, 2011, 12:40:48 pm