Topic: Basic rundown on getting started with BF3

Offline Ret-

• I Posted!
  • Ret- has no influence.
Whats up people

So I'm very interested in getting into this game, I just need to know whats up with a few basics and avoid making a noob move

Thought I'd ask here before I go spending

I used to play BF1942/BF2 quite hardout back in the day so if you recognize me, whats up!

Is everyone thats playing BF3 online playing the expansions? or are people just playing the original BF3? In BF1942 there were expansions but multiplayer for them was never really that popular

Whats the best possible thing for me to do/buy/cheapest way of getting the whole package with everything I need?

I'm pretty adamant on NOT buying this through Origin and want buy a physical copy as I don't want to download the whole game.

I went into the Warehouse the other day and noticed BF3 premium for like $60 or so, was gonna buy it on the spot but thought I'd ask on the innernets first if its worth getting all the expansions as I am mainly interested in playing online

Is there much of a clan scene? are there pugs or clan matches going on? tournaments? What are the pub servers like? people still use Vetrilo or TS? Basicly just interested in a "heads up" on the NZ scene, are there any other forums/websites that cater for BF3 rather than this forum? (aka clan websites?)

Cheers bois!

Posted: March 13, 2013, 06:22:52 pm
Heavy Metal or No Metal atall!!!

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Erm, id or wtf? one of those? That ret?

Bf3 is a little dead now, you kinda missed the boat. There will be a bit more life from the last expansion which comes out today, but it will probably drop off again in 2 weeks or so.

Would suggest waiting for bf4 later this year or whatnot, unless you can get bf3 super cheap somehow.

Reply #1 Posted: March 13, 2013, 07:07:02 pm

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
If you are going to buy bf3, buy premium, BF3 is different to how the battlefield franchise use to work. now with mixed servers so that you play maps from all expansions and game modes. You would be limiting yourself on server choice by just buying the original game.

There are still a fair amount of us running around playing, and there are still many servers up and running, but just take note you are a year into the game. So there are mainly a lot of seasoned players around

Reply #2 Posted: March 13, 2013, 07:49:40 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
even buying a physical copy you will still have to use origin and you will still have to have a download all of the newer maps from origin anyway so you arent saving much by getting a physical copy this late in the game

Reply #3 Posted: March 13, 2013, 08:21:03 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
BF3 isn't dead.... not by a long shot.

Reply #4 Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:10:22 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Yeah, origin is not optional.

The expansion maps seem a lot better than the vanilla ones for me, apart from CQ.

Don't know about the clan scene, there seem to be a few around, but I don't know how it would work competitively.

Reply #5 Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:29:29 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
BF3 doesn't have in game VOIP... PS3 or EggsBox would be better for that.

Reply #6 Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:31:51 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Seems pretty dead clan and community wise

Reply #7 Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:33:54 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
If you're going to go through the ware house, Go find a 15$ price sticker, rip it off, put it on BF3 Premium (make sure it includes the original game, not just the expansion packs), And then pay 15$ for the whole thing.

#yolo

Reply #8 Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:44:48 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Arma3 is going well so far... maybe look into that instead.

Reply #9 Posted: March 14, 2013, 12:44:35 am

Offline Meat2Potatos

• Just settled in
  • Meat2Potatos has no influence.
Quote from: Emrico1;1520631
Arma3 is going well so far... maybe look into that instead.

Is this what your playing these days?

Wait a sec, this isn't full release yet is it?

Reply #10 Posted: March 14, 2013, 07:17:34 am
"You make life hard, you get hard people" - Jan Molenaar

Offline benlav

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1520628
Seems pretty dead clan and community wise

Was never alive clan wise, when they restricted local hosting games and the xtra rental servers dropped off it killed the battlefield community.

Reply #11 Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:07:06 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Meat2Potatos;1520638
Is this what your playing these days?

Wait a sec, this isn't full release yet is it?

Yeah it's alpha, I haven't had much time to play but it's pretty damn slick so far.

Reply #12 Posted: March 14, 2013, 01:28:15 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
Make sure that's the Premium Edition for $60, not just the Premium expansion/add-on. Def get it if it's the full Premium Edition.

And yeah, there will be a 6GB patch + a bit more for the maps waiting for you on Origin when you install it. If you know someone with the full install then you can grab their install files on a HDD and that will save you some DL GB's.

Reply #13 Posted: March 14, 2013, 03:38:51 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: benlav;1520652
Was never alive clan wise, when they restricted local hosting games and the xtra rental servers dropped off it killed the battlefield community.

So it's dead then :P

Reply #14 Posted: March 14, 2013, 07:18:54 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Bell;1520706
So it's dead then :P

Non-living, technically.

Reply #15 Posted: March 15, 2013, 12:50:15 am

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: mattnz;1520745
Non-living, technically.
Obviously stating the obvious

Reply #16 Posted: March 15, 2013, 12:56:09 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Steps how to play Bf3:

Jump on a server,
Get owned by lvl 100s
Call Hax
RageQuit

Reply #17 Posted: March 15, 2013, 09:07:47 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Once you've got a battlelog, become a fan/join whichever GetSome Platoons you can and join games with the members :)

Reply #18 Posted: March 15, 2013, 11:08:17 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1520779
Steps how to play Bf3:

Jump on a server,
Get owned by lvl 100s
Call Hax
RageQuit

That statement sums up why BF and in part the FPS genre in general is dead.
5 years ago that statement would make no sense in the context of a FPS people would think you were talking about WoW

Reply #19 Posted: March 15, 2013, 07:27:38 pm

Codex

Start buy returning it to EB for a real game. Probably not available at EB though (A real game, that is)

Reply #20 Posted: March 17, 2013, 08:57:35 am

Offline Stiffhardy

• I Posted!
  • Stiffhardy has no influence.
Hmmmm, Rrretereno!

Yeah bro, bring your HDD up next time and I can slap all them files on there for you. Haven't played the new expansion yet but did notice its downloaded somehow already. You could always buy off origin if its cheaper and burn a copy of my disc.

Reply #21 Posted: March 18, 2013, 06:13:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Hey Ret!

We don't really play battlefield any more, instead we mostly just hang out and laugh at people who actually game.

Reply #22 Posted: March 25, 2013, 10:01:49 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bell

• Addicted
So much truth.

Reply #23 Posted: March 26, 2013, 07:45:14 pm

Offline mattnz

Well some of us play, but talking about it is a sure way to get an "omgroflnoob you play bf3, bf2 was sooo much better, u dont even know"

Reply #24 Posted: March 28, 2013, 11:10:43 am