Topic: Motorcyclists of GetSome

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
I guess this would probably be the best place to ask as I too am about to start riding a motorcycle.

I'm after a helmet, preferably sub $250 range and from what I've found on Cycletreads site, I'll be going with either Rjays, LS2 or FFM at that price range.
Can anyone give me a reason to choose one over another or if you have any other suggestions.

Helmets I'm considering so far:
Rjays - http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1886-rjays_full_face_helmets/11180-rjays_dominator_full_face_helm.aspx
           http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1886-rjays_full_face_helmets/11178-rjays_apex_full_face_helmet.aspx
LS2 - http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1028-ls2_full_face_helmets/5180-ls2_ff3511_full_face_helmet_gl.aspx
         http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1028-ls2_full_face_helmets/10003-ls2_ff384_blade_full_face_helm.aspx
FFM - http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1023-ffm_full_face_helmets/11091-ffm_streetpro_touring_full_fac.aspx
Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:34:35 pm by Dr. Acula

Reply #25 Posted: July 11, 2013, 10:20:17 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Cant speak for the other brands, but FFM's tend to be cheap, heavy, and noisy . They all save your skull in a crash, but you get what you pay for with helmets, I have an FFM, I lust after a Shoei :-)

Reply #26 Posted: July 12, 2013, 01:02:12 am

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
Yea, I figured FFM to be a cheaper brand, not that I'd be complaining if I got one.

I can agree with you there, a Shoei would be stellar, though a bit out of my price range atm :P

Reply #27 Posted: July 12, 2013, 01:47:01 am
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
sub $250 makes little difference as most of them are produced at the same factory anyway

Reply #28 Posted: July 12, 2013, 08:07:28 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
I'm only saying sub $250 as that's my budget and wanted to state that before people come along telling me to ditch the cheap shit and grab a $500+ helmet.

From what I've seen, I think I'll be inclined to get the LS2 Blade.

Reply #29 Posted: July 12, 2013, 02:25:59 pm
Dr. λculał

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
What's in the bag???

http://www.iforce.co.nz/i/nfhqhwcv.ioz.jpg
Motorcyclists of GetSome

It's a LS2 Blade! :D

http://www.iforce.co.nz/i/mmjuzxae.0nc.jpg
Motorcyclists of GetSome

http://www.iforce.co.nz/i/e50snj2n.d2v.jpg
Motorcyclists of GetSome

Reply #30 Posted: July 12, 2013, 06:56:43 pm
Dr. λculał

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
looks like quite a neat helmet.

Reply #31 Posted: July 13, 2013, 11:57:18 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
drop down visors are all the rage these days...

Reply #32 Posted: July 13, 2013, 12:30:29 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
I have the flip front version of that one.

Reply #33 Posted: July 13, 2013, 12:43:04 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
I would've loved to have bought the flip front version but that was a bit out of my price range, plus the guy at Cycletreads knocked 20% off the price for me, though I think it was because my dad was with me and he was wearing his fire service jacket :L

Reply #34 Posted: July 13, 2013, 03:19:49 pm
Dr. λculał

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
So, its is pretty much confirmed, I am going to be going to a car park with a mates bike and practicing my BSH, then in the very near future going for my learners, - will hit some of you guys up a bit more in details about gear and bikes and stuff.

thanks for all the input though, really did help in the decision making process

Reply #35 Posted: July 15, 2013, 07:55:07 am

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
Good luck Demon Lord, I'll be doing my BSH in the next couple of weeks as well once I get the last few parts for my bike(which should be in the post today :D) and get it all legal.

Reply #36 Posted: July 15, 2013, 03:56:27 pm
Dr. λculał

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I have a full license that I got just by sweet talking the girl doing licensing a long time ago, but I've not ridden one much.

I've been thinking about getting a bike just for fun when it warms up a bit.

Should I start small and work up or just go for it and hope I can learn before I hurt myself?

Reply #37 Posted: July 15, 2013, 04:05:58 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1528554
I have a full license that I got just by sweet talking the girl doing licensing a long time ago, but I've not ridden one much.

Should I start small and work up or just go for it and hope I can learn before I hurt myself?

everyone I have spoken to has recomended that I start small.

Also I think from the UK at one time, one of the leading causes of Death amongst 30-40 year old male professionals was riding Japanese Rocket ships

Reply #38 Posted: July 15, 2013, 04:15:57 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Generally a chap should probably start with one that won't throw him off the back if he opens the throttle whoopsidentally.

Reply #39 Posted: July 15, 2013, 09:54:37 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted

by small I mean a low power to weight ratio.

most of the 400's will be fine, you might even be ok on an sv650

Reply #40 Posted: July 16, 2013, 08:03:35 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.

I coach at a couple of ACC training days a year, you my friend need to do one. Statistically you are the prime candidate to cause an increase in our ACC levies.

Generally it is like this:
got licence by sweet talk back in the day - Check
haven't ridden much in last 20 years - Check
Wants to relive misspent youth - check
financially secure so can afford bike now - check
remembers tearing round on mates rd350 - check
goes and buys 200hp death machine as starting on something smaller is belittling - check
overcooks a corner and can't haul her up in time, running it wide onto other side of the road into oncoming car - Checkmate.

honestly this is about as true as it gets.

On another note, make sure you guys make a trip down to the Burt Munro Challenge if you can. Time magazine recently described it as one of the 5 must do events in the world, I kid you not. Great event.

Reply #41 Posted: July 16, 2013, 08:13:10 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: frankytanky;1528591
I coach at a couple of ACC training days a year, you my friend need to do one. Statistically you are the prime candidate to cause an increase in our ACC levies.

Generally it is like this:
got licence by sweet talk back in the day - Check
haven't ridden much in last 20 years - Check
Wants to relive misspent youth - check
financially secure so can afford bike now - check
remembers tearing round on mates rd350 - check
goes and buys 200hp death machine as starting on something smaller is belittling - check
overcooks a corner and can't haul her up in time, running it wide onto other side of the road into oncoming car - Checkmate.

honestly this is about as true as it gets.

On another note, make sure you guys make a trip down to the Burt Munro Challenge if you can. Time magazine recently described it as one of the 5 must do events in the world, I kid you not. Great event.

You couldn't sugar coat it a bit?

Reply #42 Posted: July 16, 2013, 08:58:12 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Quote from: Zarkov;1528592
You couldn't sugar coat it a bit?

haha there is zero fun to be had with that!

Reply #43 Posted: July 16, 2013, 09:18:06 am

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
  • Easymeat56k has no influence.
frankytanky is on to it.
To many inexperienced riders cannot counter steer and under estimate how low they can lean a bike over
and don't know that using the front brake "stands' a bike up and the rear brake will "pull" a bike down,
 not mention nearly all tend to over use the rear brake when its the front that does the most to stop.
If your worried about locking up the front, use 2 fingers on the lever for a smooth pressure, not sudden.
Find out if your local race track has open days or if any bike selling shops runs demo days.
Find out if there are trail/motocross open or demo days near you.
Attend and learn.
Skills learnt on the dirt track transfer wonderfully to the road.
Pick a quite spot of road and practice emergency stops.

Reply #44 Posted: July 16, 2013, 10:37:37 am
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
Quote from: frankytanky;1528591

This is something I intend on doing next year. The missus' dad goes down every year with his purpose built, 750cc burnout bike, and usually takes the first in the burnout comp.

Edit: Actually, I don't know if it's the Burt Munro or the Cold Duck that I'm thinking of, either way, I hope to be down there :D
Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:27:46 pm by Dr. Acula

Reply #45 Posted: July 16, 2013, 12:23:30 pm
Dr. λculał

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Dr. Acula;1528609
This is something I intend on doing next year. The missus' dad goes down every year with his purpose built, 750cc burnout bike, and usually takes the first in the burnout comp.

Edit: Actually, I don't know if it's the Burt Munro or the Cold Duck that I'm thinking of, either way, I hope to be down there :D

Swing by the shop if your in the hood. Let me know if you want to do a ride day at Teretonga etc

Reply #46 Posted: July 16, 2013, 12:59:32 pm

Offline Pyromanik

When is this event?

Reply #47 Posted: July 16, 2013, 10:18:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
last few days of november, first few of december.

hopefully heading down with the 6

Reply #48 Posted: July 16, 2013, 10:29:36 pm

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
  • Easymeat56k has no influence.

Reply #49 Posted: July 17, 2013, 02:11:05 pm
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.