Topic: Best reading order for Enders Game series

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Sup Internet dwellers.

As above, what is the best order for reading these? Publication order or chronological order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_%28series%29#Novels_in_the_series

Am tempted to go publication, just wanna know what you lot think

Posted: January 31, 2014, 09:23:19 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
The first book was supposed to be a short story (but 'novelised'), I have started the second book, but fuck it is hard to get into. It's completely random and has nothing to do with the first book... (well, I'm a chapter in and Ender hasn't even appeared yet).

I'd read the first book, watch the movie (if you haven't already) then try with the second book.

Reply #1 Posted: January 31, 2014, 09:26:24 am

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
I would go the first book into the Shadow series (Enders Shadow,  Shadow of the Hegemony etc) then move on to the Speaker for the Dead stuff.

Shadow series follows pretty much straight on from Enders Game, well  Enders Shadow is the first book but from Beans perspective.

Reply #2 Posted: January 31, 2014, 09:37:23 am
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Having read the lot I'd suggest reading Ender's Game and then stopping there.

Reply #3 Posted: March 02, 2015, 08:19:25 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Published order is the best. Maybe read Ender's Shadow straight after Ender's Game, since they are somewhat similar in style and such.

That being said, the sequels to Ender's Game (the non-shadow series stuff) are a bit different in tone to Enders Game. But its worth pushing through the odd start of Speaker of the Dead, because its quite a good book. I actually found the sequels more enjoyable than the shadow series.

Reply #4 Posted: March 02, 2015, 11:34:29 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
Ultimately what Pitchey said is best, fuck me but both the series turn to absolute crap.

Reply #5 Posted: March 02, 2015, 11:37:19 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
We should suggest more books. I like reading but I can't put energy into actually trying to find "a gem".

So I've pretty much personally stuck to Stephen King and Andy McNab..

Anyone got decent books that I'll probably enjoy?

*thread hijack*

And yes - to beat everyone to the punch line about my YOUTHFUL looks, I've read Harry potter and deltora quest.

Reply #6 Posted: March 02, 2015, 11:49:42 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
Been working my way through Isaac Asimov stuff recently. A must read for any Sci-fi nerd. Highly recommend, man was a genius.

Also in the middle of The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, the guy who finished of The Wheel of Time series when the original author died. Very entertaining writer, easy to read, well paced books.

Reply #7 Posted: March 03, 2015, 12:16:09 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Also in the middle of The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, the guy who finished of The Wheel of Time series when the original author died. Very entertaining writer, easy to read, well paced books.

Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings is a good read too.

Reply #8 Posted: March 03, 2015, 08:49:01 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Stuffs I like:

Pretty much anything by Heinlein
Honorverse stuff from David Webber (can get most of them as free, legal e-books from the Baen Free Library, I did and liked so much I now own about 20 of them in hardcopy)
Vatta's War and Familias Regnant seires by Elizabeth Moon
Vorkosigian series by Luis Mcmaster Bujold

You can get a retardedly huge amount of free scifi from the Baen free library.
https://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx

Reply #9 Posted: March 03, 2015, 05:00:15 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
The Mistborn Trilogy

I love it

So much

Holy christ thanks so much for mentioning it.

Just stayed up all night reading it - I'll regret it when I get fired.

I'm hoping the second book turns out to be good, will be interesting where it goes.

Reply #10 Posted: March 12, 2015, 05:15:21 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I read the first 3 books of the Ender's Game series. I really enjoyed it. Must get back into it.

Piggies!

Reply #11 Posted: March 12, 2015, 05:46:37 am

The Mistborn Trilogy

I love it

So much

I'm hoping the second book turns out to be good, will be interesting where it goes.

Alloy of Law is pretty good too, it's set 300 years after the first trilogy. It's basically the same kind of stuff but with guns and trains.

Reply #12 Posted: March 12, 2015, 05:49:08 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
I did enjoy the Mither Mages series. Written by Orson Scott Card (who wrote ender game series). Only 2 of the 3 books are out though, so you get left on a cliffhanger of sorts.

Reply #13 Posted: March 12, 2015, 10:29:40 am

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
The Mistborn Trilogy

I love it

So much

Alloy of Law is pretty good too, it's set 300 years after the first trilogy. It's basically the same kind of stuff but with guns and trains.

Oh snap, didn't know this. Just decided to read Mistborn on a whim while I waited for some books to arrive from overseas.

Reply #14 Posted: March 12, 2015, 05:27:36 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
I read the first 3 books of the Ender's Game series. I really enjoyed it. Must get back into it.

Piggies!

Orson Scott Card is the George Lucas of writing. Fantastic idea's, terrible execution. The Piggies are great and really interesting but man the story nose dives at the end. Never have I wanted to dive into a book and murder the characters more than with Card's writing, I hate every member of Enders "family" so much.

Reply #15 Posted: March 12, 2015, 05:34:17 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
WarHammer 50,000, the Gaunts Ghosts series.

Reply #16 Posted: March 12, 2015, 07:41:21 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
WarHammer 50,000, the Gaunts Ghosts series.

Read the Horus Heresy series too.

Reply #17 Posted: March 12, 2015, 09:50:45 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
Read the Horus Heresy series too.

Have done, its on the shelf too, the Ciaphas Cain series is good too!

Reply #18 Posted: March 13, 2015, 05:47:18 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
SO. While I've realised I love Brandon Sanderson's writing style / "mind" , I'm running out of his books to read (currently have two cliff hangers that he hasn't finished writing for yet)

But I need more.

Oh God, Do I Need More.

Someone please help me climax and give me more books to read.

Reply #19 Posted: April 01, 2016, 01:34:24 pm

SO. While I've realised I love Brandon Sanderson's writing style / "mind" , I'm running out of his books to read (currently have two cliff hangers that he hasn't finished writing for yet)

But I need more.

Oh God, Do I Need More.

Someone please help me climax and give me more books to read.

Yes!!

I'm a bit behind you, I still have Calamity and Bands of Morning waiting to be read.

However I've started rereading Mistborn series from the beginning. And i'll probably want to reread Stormlight after that, so I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy till the next book comes out.

I recommend The Passage by Justin Cronin.
Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:47:51 pm by Apostrophe Spacemonkey

Reply #20 Posted: April 01, 2016, 01:43:53 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Oh gosh.

Oh gosh I've made a fool of myself.

I don't know why I assumed I had read all of his books. I've just gone on his website

- The steelheart series (As you mentioned)
Actually scratch what I said before, The steelheart series seems to be the only series of interest that I haven't read, by Brandon Sanderson. The rest just seem a bit "eh"

But still, I'll download go outside and serach for order it online and then download the book you suggested

Reply #21 Posted: April 01, 2016, 02:03:20 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
The 30ish books in the Honorverse series should keep you busy for awhile, but be warned if you get into them like I did you will cry at the slow output speed. Not because he's a slow author (he's actually prolific as fuck) but because he has _so_ many series on the go so you'r lucky if you get a book a year in the Honorverse.

Elizabeth Moon, Familias Regnant and Vatta's War series.

Pretty much anything by Robert Heinlein, one of my favorite authors of all time. Especially Starship Troopers (compare it to the movie then see why most Heinlein fans hate the movie), Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Friday & Job.

Seafort Saga by David Feintuch, heavy on the god squad but still a good series.

Old Man's War series by John Scalzi

All the Warhammer 40,000 novels, but particularly the Horus Heresy and Gaunt's Ghosts series

Foundation series by Asimov is still a great read for some classic SciFi

Vorosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Bit old and cheesy but I love em is the Dumarest of Terra series by E C Tubb

Riverworld series by Philip Jose farmer

Phules company series by Robert Aspirin (also his MythAdventures fantasy series)

The Tripods by John Christoper

Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison

Majipoor/Lord Valentine series by Robert Silverberg

Footfall by by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The White Plague by Frank Herbert

Fantasy:
Anything by Anne Mcafferey, but in particular the Dragonriders of Pern
Anything by David Eddings or  Terry Pratchett
Spellsinger series
Dragonlance and Darksword Series by Weis and Hickman
Good Omens by Pratchett/Gaiman

That should keep you busy for awhile.

Reply #22 Posted: April 01, 2016, 03:20:58 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
Funny this pops up as I just finished reading Shadows of self last night (well 3am this morning) . I just love these characters, especially Wayne.

As for Lias suggestions:

I just recently finished Starship Troopers, really enjoyed it although it has a very different tone to the movies (still love the movie though).

Isaac Asimov - quite enjoyed the first few Foundation books but just got tired of the constant jumping ahead several decades at a time. Because of this there no consistent characters to follow. However I absolutely loved the Robot novels. Asimov basically invented how we see AI/robots in sci-fi today.     

Reply #23 Posted: April 01, 2016, 05:56:59 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Funny this pops up as I just finished reading Shadows of self last night (well 3am this morning) . I just love these characters, especially Wayne.

Brandon Sanderson definitely seems to have my kind of comedic style, at least mainly in his latest books (stormlight, Alloy of Law series)

Although this current book (Steelheart) is actually a bit grinding, I'm not the biggest fan of first person narrative, and I'm not sure if these bad metaphors are supposed to be cute, funny, or just a characteristic trait

But I'm already on to firefight (book #2) so I guess I can't complain.

Gosh I hope Megan and Daffid progress further.

Reply #24 Posted: April 03, 2016, 02:50:01 pm