Topic: I'm over 3D

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Last 2 movies I've seen at the theatre, Avengers and Mad Max, were in 2D. And I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I believe I gave 3d movies a fair shot. But I've had enough bad experiences with it to decide that I'll no longer bother choosing the 3d version over the 2d version when going to see a movie.

My good experiences of 3d have been where it's been subtle to the point where it's not noticeable. And it doesn't detract from what I'm watching on the screen.

And I figure, if it's not noticeable, what the point of having it.

Where as my bad experiences consist of the following;

The Hobbit - objects 'closer' to me the screen become blurry, or I see two fuzzy images overlapping. Sometimes this happens with the background as well.
I'm not a fan of the high frame rate either, but I'm willing to give this a chance.

Transformers - vast expansive scenes which are supposed to show giant robots in the distance, actually end up looking like a scene showing tiny toy robots.

In General - stupid glasses which have smudges which have I have to clean myself. And refract lights from the sides/behind me etc

The price - For this degraded movie experience, they charge me $2 to $5 more then a normal ticket.

I like going to the movie theatre, the big screen and the immersive sound make it worth it. But for me, 3D doesn't add anything positive to the experience.

Posted: June 02, 2015, 08:46:51 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
I tend to agree and all valid points, to the same effect i actually got rid of my 27inch 3d lightboost asus monitor

Reply #1 Posted: June 02, 2015, 08:49:41 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I've seen 2 3D movies.

Both times it wasn't worth the admission price.

I like letting my eyes wonder during scenes, taking in the background. 3D doesn't let you do this, it forces you to pay attention to whatever part is in focus/3D.

Shitty gimmick.

Reply #2 Posted: June 02, 2015, 10:17:56 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I like 3D and I like HFR.

Now - let me be clear - I like Proper 3D (not shitty Post Production 3D) and I despise gimmicy 3D (as in where objects come out of the screen to make you jump) but I feel that proper 3D really does add a depth (excuse the pun) the Film.

Does that mean that the 2D version is bad - no, I have the Lego Movie in 2D on DVD, but I watched it in 3D at the movies - I can enjoy both. but I find when watching a proper 3D film, it really is enjoyable.

as for HFR - I always find that in intense action sequences, the images are clearer, more crisp - for me compare the intro to Saving Private Ryan to a similar high action sequence of the same era - the into is sharper.

Again - its not a case of night and day or a case to say that normal frame rate is bad - I just find HFR again to be slightly more enjoyable (like the difference between BF4 at 36 fps on a console and BF4 at 70-80 fps on my PC - it just looks nicer)

Reply #3 Posted: June 03, 2015, 12:03:40 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
as for HFR - I always find that in intense action sequences, the images are clearer, more crisp - for me compare the intro to Saving Private Ryan to a similar high action sequence of the same era - the into is sharper.

What does Saving Ryan's Privates have to do with anything? The only movies so far to be filmed in HFR is the Hobbit series.
Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:46:04 pm by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Reply #4 Posted: June 03, 2015, 12:42:50 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!

What does Saving Ryan's Privates have to do with anything? The only movies so far to be filmed in HFR is the Hobbit series.

I always thought that the first section of Saving Private Ryan was shot at 48 fps as opposed to the normal 24 - but further reading suggests it was the shutter angle that did it - either way the Hobbit and Saving private ryan look nice

Reply #5 Posted: June 03, 2015, 03:34:28 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I do enjoy HFR. Saw the Hobbit in cinemas with HFR. That with a 4K projector and holy tits you've got some HD goodness.

Reply #6 Posted: June 03, 2015, 04:08:08 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
While I agree with pretty much all points in this thread, I am not yet going to rule out 3D completely. 3D, where you have to wear those glasses, active or not, is just shit. I don't think I've seen a solid representation of it yet, BUT when it comes to 3D in the form of something like the Oculus Rift, this is where I'm hoping it will finally come in to it's own. Having used DK2 for a short amount of time, and with CV1 being just around the corner now with the specs it supposedly will have, I can definitely see 3D as not just a gimmick to TRY and make things more immersive, but as something that will work well and will make the content more immersive.

Reply #7 Posted: June 03, 2015, 05:39:12 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
HFR is superior.

/r/PCMR

HFR 3D was bearable, I enjoyed the hobbit in 3D.

Everything else is ruined by the shitty frame rate.

Reply #8 Posted: June 03, 2015, 06:07:27 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
I feel like you are all watching the shittest movies out.

I found 3D to be quite a nice addition to Prometheus, Back Door Sluts 9, and the hobbit.

It does add depth, making corridors feel longer (as it was with Prometheus) and personally, I've found it to *Feel* as if it was even clearer than normal.

Reply #9 Posted: June 03, 2015, 06:29:25 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

I found 3D to be quite a nice addition to Prometheus, Back Door Sluts 9, and the hobbit.

It can be good, but it can also be not. So it's always a bit of a gamble.

There were parts of the hobbit where the 3d caused some fuzziness for me, but maybe there just something wrong with my brain.

Reply #10 Posted: June 03, 2015, 06:37:03 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Well I've known a few people to hate it because their eyes can't cope?

Just like some people hate "cam-corder" movies (i.e Cloverfield) because they feel motion sickness.

Reply #11 Posted: June 03, 2015, 06:47:28 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
I think the main issue with it is, you have to be sitting in the perfect spot in the cinema for it to work optimally, great example of this was a couple of weeks back when I went to watch Mad Max in 3D, I was sitting at the back and to the left, and a lot of it was quite out of focus, but other times when I've been sitting near to the middle of the cinema, it's been a lot better.

Reply #12 Posted: June 03, 2015, 07:39:42 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
The only movie I've seen so far which was awesome in 3D was Avatar. I'll never forget the scene where they're inside the cockpit of the ship as its coming into land on Pandora, and the view through the windscreen was fucking amazing in 3D.

Every other prick ruining James Camerons shit.

Reply #13 Posted: September 28, 2015, 06:58:15 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I've seen 2 3D movies.

Both times it wasn't worth the admission price.

I like letting my eyes wonder during scenes, taking in the background. 3D doesn't let you do this, it forces you to pay attention to whatever part is in focus/3D.

Shitty gimmick.

Always was, always will be. Right from the very start (of the return of 3d movies) I said this. I've seen a few (usually where attendance was as part of a group of friends). Never enjoyed any of them as much as I would have if I'd seen them in 2d. I've always made a point of purposely going to the 2d version.

Except Mad Max: Fury Road. I saw that in 3d because I thought I should see if maybe it's a bit better on IMAX.
It was actually enjoyable, but again it probably would have been better still in 2d. Or more relaxing, I guess is the way I like to describe it. Even if I enjoy the movie, I don't feel relaxed in 3d. 2d gives that softer edge of enjoyment. Like 3d is at best the same experience, but with sharp corners (metaphorically, not on screen).

I feel vindicated that these sort of post now also exist.
Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:05:36 am by Pyromanik

Reply #14 Posted: October 02, 2015, 10:01:53 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Out of curiosity

Do the people who have problems with 3d, wear glasses or no (not wearing glasses does not include "I should go get glasses but I can't be fucked right now, so I don't wear them")

Reply #15 Posted: October 04, 2015, 07:46:41 am

Out of curiosity

Do the people who have problems with 3d, wear glasses or no (not wearing glasses does not include "I should go get glasses but I can't be fucked right now, so I don't wear them")

I wear glasses, so I'm wearing the 3d glasses over the top of my normal glasses.

Reply #16 Posted: October 04, 2015, 12:05:35 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I do not.

Reply #17 Posted: October 10, 2015, 01:41:40 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I'm furious that The Martian has no 8pm screenings here in Palmy (non 3D). All the late viewings are shitty 3D.

However Palmy cinemas are doing their best to fuel piracy with $17 ticket prices.

Reply #18 Posted: October 10, 2015, 06:01:11 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Wholey shit, that's cheap.

Reply #19 Posted: October 15, 2015, 06:45:19 am