Topic: Motorcyclists of GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Reply #50 Posted: July 17, 2013, 07:01:27 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #51 Posted: July 18, 2013, 09:19:50 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I like these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-587864705.htm

Maybe not to ride, but as a work of art.

Comments plz.

Reply #52 Posted: July 18, 2013, 10:03:30 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Quote from: Zarkov;1528727
I like these.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-587864705.htm

Maybe not to ride, but as a work of art.

Comments plz.

I have never been a big ducati fan tbh (doesn't help I have grown up with Honda). I see them as nice looking bikes but they are awkward to to work on, they are noisey (see dry clutch), and generally the servicing costs are higher, particularly when dealing with the top of the engine (see vlave clearance on desmodromic.
When jappas create a bike, they do actually take into account the fact that you will at some stage work on them, so in their design briefs the layout and access of service items and such is factored in. Not so with Ducati, they cram everything they can in anyway they can which means that some relatively easy jobs can be quite time consuming.
However as I say they are nice looking bikes and have a large appeal, and who doesn't like the sound of a V twin....(except when there is a dry clutch involved)

Reply #53 Posted: July 19, 2013, 08:08:03 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
$40 honda rear brake light switch

$370 ducati rear brake light switch

this is a momentary micro switch you can buy from jaycar for $3 molded and shaped in a special way.

Yes the honda part is expensive for what it is, but the ducati part is fucking silly.

Reply #54 Posted: July 19, 2013, 07:04:39 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pe_Pa_Possum

• Just settled in
  • Pe_Pa_Possum has no influence.
I have had a Honda VTR250 for 4 years now. Has been a great bike, handles well, just could do with a bit more power, not because of my size - I am pretty small and only weigh about 55 kgs. I would like a bigger bike but it is hard to find a sports bike that has a low seat. Most bikes are pretty tall nowadays

Reply #55 Posted: July 20, 2013, 08:56:57 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
On this - have started taking a mates bike around a car park to get up to the point where I can confidently take my BSH

Reply #56 Posted: July 22, 2013, 04:29:38 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Update Part 2:

So my Brother still has his Bike Gear from the UK, but doesn't have a Bike

Cue one pillage session later I have:

Summer Gloves (kangaroo leather and Armour bits)
A Helmet
Neck Guard (even though my beard should do a good job)
Winter Gauntlets
a Set of Boots (with lots of armoury bits on them)
and a Winter rain onsie type thing

Sadly my Beer gut has become increasingly Manly of late and I couldn't fit the leathers.

So I am looking to Buy some leathers and then looking to buy a Bike

Seeing as several of you fine, upstanding gentlemen have indicated you have contacts in this area - talk to me.

My Budget is flexible (and by Flexible I mean, I am getting a mortgage and will just put it on that)

I am thinking brand new leathers (cause if I come off, I will want some form of guarantee!) and second hand bike

Reply #57 Posted: July 26, 2013, 08:08:17 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1528952
Update Part 2:

So my Brother still has his Bike Gear from the UK, but doesn't have a Bike

Cue one pillage session later I have:

Summer Gloves (kangaroo leather and Armour bits)
A Helmet
Neck Guard (even though my beard should do a good job)
Winter Gauntlets
a Set of Boots (with lots of armoury bits on them)
and a Winter rain onsie type thing

Sadly my Beer gut has become increasingly Manly of late and I couldn't fit the leathers.

So I am looking to Buy some leathers and then looking to buy a Bike

Seeing as several of you fine, upstanding gentlemen have indicated you have contacts in this area - talk to me.

My Budget is flexible (and by Flexible I mean, I am getting a mortgage and will just put it on that)

I am thinking brand new leathers (cause if I come off, I will want some form of guarantee!) and second hand bike

Sounds like you bro did some riding anyways, he should be able to advise you on what you should look at to get you started.

IMO:
I recommend not getting leathers (unless you are doing track days). Mainly for aesthetics, they look cool on the bike but one you get off and walk to the ice cream store (actually waddle as they don't allow good walking style) people will look at you funny. Also if it is stinking hot you will suffer.
Modern riding jackets/pants are fine if you don't mind paying for decent gear and it is worth it. They have armour, generally the pants and tops zip together, they have removable linings for winter riding, the material is strong and will last a crash (generally they are throw away post dismount but a good insurance policy should cover gear).
The good thing is that you can generally wear civies underneath so when you get to destination you can whip them off and look normal instead of looking like some sort of leathered up S & M character (of course, unless that is the look you were going for).

Again, unless you are planning on track days I owuld keep clear of race gear, sure its cool but it is shit in bad weather, race boots leak like a sieve and the gloves are horrible wet, as well they go like cardboard. Proper riding gear, although not completely waterproof (more water resistant)is far better. You mention you have a wet weather onesie so there is the wet weather bit sorted.

If you budget on a grand you will be sorted well and truly.
A quick look on the racks at the shop here
250 jacket
230 pants
110 gloves
220 boots

Also if you buy all the above we would generally do a bulk discount, and we could do something about freight. PM me if you want to know more

Reply #58 Posted: July 26, 2013, 08:51:45 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: frankytanky;1528955
Sounds like you bro did some riding anyways, he should be able to advise you on what you should look at to get you started.

IMO:
I recommend not getting leathers (unless you are doing track days). Mainly for aesthetics, they look cool on the bike but one you get off and walk to the ice cream store (actually waddle as they don't allow good walking style) people will look at you funny. Also if it is stinking hot you will suffer.
Modern riding jackets/pants are fine if you don't mind paying for decent gear and it is worth it. They have armour, generally the pants and tops zip together, they have removable linings for winter riding, the material is strong and will last a crash (generally they are throw away post dismount but a good insurance policy should cover gear).
The good thing is that you can generally wear civies underneath so when you get to destination you can whip them off and look normal instead of looking like some sort of leathered up S & M character (of course, unless that is the look you were going for).

Again, unless you are planning on track days I owuld keep clear of race gear, sure its cool but it is shit in bad weather, race boots leak like a sieve and the gloves are horrible wet, as well they go like cardboard. Proper riding gear, although not completely waterproof (more water resistant)is far better. You mention you have a wet weather onesie so there is the wet weather bit sorted.

If you budget on a grand you will be sorted well and truly.
A quick look on the racks at the shop here
250 jacket
230 pants
110 gloves
220 boots

Also if you buy all the above we would generally do a bulk discount, and we could do something about freight. PM me if you want to know more

PM'd

Reply #59 Posted: July 26, 2013, 09:04:06 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650

Bought one of these today.

Ducati next year.

Reply #60 Posted: July 26, 2013, 04:14:11 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1528985
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650

Bought one of these today.

Ducati next year.

oh good bike, jealous here.

Reply #61 Posted: July 26, 2013, 06:05:00 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
$800 later;

1 x alpine Star Jacket (2XL)
1 x Rev-It Set of pants (3XL, with a shortened Leg)

Elbow, shoulder, back, wrist, hip and knee Armour and removable winter inners and removeable waterproof layer

now all I need is my BSH (booking this week), my Learners and of course - a Bike!

Reply #62 Posted: July 28, 2013, 03:56:54 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1529075
$800 later;

1 x alpine Star Jacket (2XL)
1 x Rev-It Set of pants (3XL, with a shortened Leg)

Elbow, shoulder, back, wrist, hip and knee Armour and removable winter inners and removeable waterproof layer

now all I need is my BSH (booking this week), my Learners and of course - a Bike!

BSH booked for this Sunday.

Wish me Luck!

Reply #63 Posted: July 29, 2013, 08:33:36 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1529090

Wish me Luck!

No luck, all skill mate!

Reply #64 Posted: July 29, 2013, 10:23:30 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: frankytanky;1529095
No luck, all skill mate!

Yeah, I think I will be sweet, just worrying about my Clutch control and putting my foot down by accident

Reply #65 Posted: July 29, 2013, 10:42:03 am

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1529090

Wish me Luck!

I'll be going for my BSH either next week or the week after, this weekend getting my bike re-vinned, and all that other legal jazz.

Also, check out this video, I went down to the Trust Stadium carpark yesterday with my partners father and went over the tests that they make you perform.

Reply #66 Posted: July 29, 2013, 11:15:06 am
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
I have been watchinvg the stuffing out of that so I am prepped

Reply #67 Posted: July 29, 2013, 11:44:17 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
It's not actually about doing what the video tells you, more about the control with which you do it and all the other in between movements like head checks and stuff. I booked a 2hr session and am actually fucking glad I did. No way in hell I'd have passed if I hadn't, even though I'd studied the video intensely and practiced the manuvres after marking the course out with chalk in a parking lot on several occasions.

I dunno if it's standard, but my tester was pretty open about it all and told me straight up exactly what he was looking for. But that extra hour 45 to practice each section beforehand before stringing it all together for one test was crucial. The infractions stack up pretty quick.

Was also good in that it pointed out things that I need to improve on when I'm riding that I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Do recommend proper tuition.
Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:44:45 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #68 Posted: August 01, 2013, 05:40:25 pm

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
I spent a bit of time going through the test beforehand as well. I recommend it.

I got shown each part of the test and did them a few times. Spent around 40mins - 1hr on it. I did the test and passed it easy (this was back when the test was even easier).

Reply #69 Posted: August 01, 2013, 06:02:45 pm
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.

Reply #70 Posted: August 01, 2013, 06:19:19 pm

Offline playerB

• Devoted Member
  • playerB has no influence.
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=bmsk3wyh.jd2.jpg
Motorcyclists of GetSome

Hamptondowns 28/07/13

Reply #71 Posted: August 02, 2013, 08:09:09 am
sila.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Body position looking good like someone who's only a step away from scraping knees.

Maybe work on keeping your head level, but otherwise very good for a first track outing by a road rider.

Reply #72 Posted: August 02, 2013, 07:51:24 pm

Offline Pyromanik

how level is level?

Reply #73 Posted: August 02, 2013, 11:54:35 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1529376
how level is level?

pretty bloody level.

You should plug your outside ear to the closest shoulder

B appears to be keeping his head central, which is great, but he needs to turn it a tad so it stays level with the horizon. This keeps your internal ear whosawhatsits level so they can balance better and you have a better sense of how low you are. When braking you should keep your head level with the horizon, same for doing wheelies and stoppies.

Reply #74 Posted: August 03, 2013, 10:55:22 am