Topic: www.redhotpawn.com - safe for work - online chess

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
T you show me too much respect. Even without those pieces you still would have outplayed me!

I also just cocked up a move. Pawn meant to go to g3, not g4. Caused me a few problems.

Reply #50 Posted: February 07, 2010, 08:52:36 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: benlav;1065114
T you show me too much respect. Even without those pieces you still would have outplayed me!

I also just cocked up a move. Pawn meant to go to g3, not g4. Caused me a few problems.

Crikeys! You did exactly what I just did in the previous game!

That was a short, but very instructive game!

1. e3 e5 2. f4 e4 3. g3 d5 4. g4 Qh4+ 5. Ke2 Bxg4+ 6. Nf3 Bxf3++ 0-1

Round three: FIGHT!

Reply #51 Posted: February 07, 2010, 09:01:01 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Game on! Evens out the last one.

Reply #52 Posted: February 07, 2010, 09:03:53 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: benlav;1065119
Game on! Evens out the last one.

You threw away a win benlav!!

Threw away a win!

18. Nd5?

You didnt have to play Nd5! I was already heavily sweating under the combined efforts of your bishop and pawn

That. Was an intense game!

Good Game and Good Night :)

(Game is spoilered)
Spoiler :
1. Nb1c3 e5 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 3. e4 Bf8c5 4. Bf1c4 Ng8f6 5. Nf3g5 O-O
6. d3 h6 7. Ng5f3 d6 8. h3 Nc6a5 9. g4 Na5xc4 10. dxc4 Bc8e6 11. g5 hxg5
12. Bc1xg5 Be6xc4 13. Rh1g1 g6 14. h4 Qd8e7 15. h5 Qe7e6 16. h6 Kg8h7
17. b3 Bc4a6 18. Nc3d5 Nf6xd5 19. exd5 Bc5b4 20. Nf3d2 Qe6xd5 21. Rg1g3 Qd5h1
22. Rg3g1 Qh1xg1 0-1

Reply #53 Posted: February 07, 2010, 10:52:37 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1065107
I think Im going down in this game too :\

Hah, don't think so.
Looks like you've got me on the ropes already :/

Reply #54 Posted: February 07, 2010, 11:13:30 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline benlav

• Addicted
Yeah..I kinda ran at out ideas.

Reply #55 Posted: February 08, 2010, 06:25:49 pm

Offline Anaraith

• Addicted
  • Anaraith has no influence.
Tiwaking smashed me :(

Reply #56 Posted: February 09, 2010, 03:14:33 pm
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Pokemon arent real but they should be.

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: benlav;1065614

Quote from: Anaraith;1066197
Tiwaking smashed me :(

Rematch. Both of you. LETS GO!

Reply #57 Posted: February 10, 2010, 09:14:56 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: benlav;1065614

Good game again benlav

You've been in a sacrifice checkmate net since move 18

[edit]

1. Nb1c3 d5 2. Ng1f3 c5 3. e3 a6 4. Nf3e5 Qd8d6 5. Qd1h5 g6 6. Qh5g5 f6
7. Qg5f4 fxe5 8. Qf4a4 Bc8d7 9. Qa4h4 Ng8f6 10. f3 Nb8c6 11. a3 d4
12. Nc3e2 Bf8g7 13. Qh4f2 O-O 14. d3 Nf6g4 15. Qf2g3 Ng4xe3 16. Bc1xe3 dxe3
17. O-O-O Nc6d4 18. h4 Nd4xc2!!

I'll do an analysis when we completely finish
[/edit]

[edit2]
Game Analysis
1. Nc3 d5 2. Nf3 c5

A weird opening. White hasnt committed any pawns to attack the center so I grab as much as I can on the Queen side

3. e3 a6

White opens up the diagonal for his light squared bishop, but because I've gobbled up all the the space on the queen side, I play a6 to take away yet another square from the bishop. This leaves only the squares e2 and d3 (horrible) to develop to

4. Ne5 Qd6

The Knight moves but I try to force it to go home, centralising my queen in the process

5. Qh5 g6

White attempts a sneaky but obvious checkmate try. 6. Qxf7++. g6 blocks the threat, attacks the queen and opens up for my bishop all in one move

6. Qg5 f6

Forks the Queen and the Knight. OM NOM NOM

7. Qf4 fxe5

Attacks the Queen AGAIN

8. Qa4+ Bd7

Queen tries a sneaky check, but is batted away by the bishop

9. Qh4 Nf6 10. f3 Nc6 11. a3 d4!

White tries to restrict the mobility of the knights with his pawns. I stab and whites cramped position, aiming to get my knight to c2 for the King - Rook - Check fork

12. Ne2 Bg7

The knight runs for its life. However exchanging my d4 pawn for whites e3 pawn would open up whites position. So I develop instead

13. Qf2 0-0

White is preparing to free itself but that gives me time to get my king the hell out of Dodge

14. d3 Ng4!

Whites queen only has two squares to run to. Notice that white cant play fxg4 because of RxQ. The Queen only has one real square to go to (g3) as I can attack h4 with my bishop

15. Qg3 Nxe3

This wins a pawn and if white exchanges pieces, also wins the center

16. Bxe3 dxe3

TRIPLED e pawns!

17. 0-0-0 Nd4

Remember how I said I was going to get my Knight to c2 for a fork? Well now its going to be for checkmate

18. h4? Nxc2!!

The game is over. White is trapped in a huge net where he either gives up alot of material, gives up his attack on blacks king or gets check mated

19. Kxc2 Ba4!+ 20. b3

Notice that if the king moves then the BxR

21. ... Bxb3!

Thats right! Its a double piece sacrifice. Both the Knight and the Bishop are in the way of my big guns and the best way to fix that is to offer white something he cant refuse

22. Kxb3 c4!+

That pawn is in the way and must be sacrificed. Notice that if dxc4 then Qxd1+ is still check

23. Kxc4?

The c4 pawn was the only thing stopping my rooks from carving up the board

23. ... Rc8+ 24. Kb3 Qd5+ 25. Ka4 Qb5++

If 25. Kb2 Qb5+ 26. Ka1 (The best move) Qb3 and there is on defence. Black is threatening the Rook on d1, Qxa3+ and even e4+
[/edit2]

Reply #58 Posted: February 12, 2010, 03:59:19 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
I'll challenge you when I get a free game. Only way I'll get better is to play peeps better then me.

Reply #59 Posted: February 13, 2010, 05:18:04 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

If you are on RHP you might notice that almost all my games are against the Forum Users. This is because the one non-forum user I am playing with moves incredibly slowly (especially now since he's about to lose in two moves)

People on these forums actually do move at least once every three days (sometimes MORE!)!

Also: Try to use the conditional moves function as it can speed up some relatively mundane moves. If you are really smart (i.e NOT me, because I cant figure it out) then you can use the Deep Mode and setup automatic moves in positions or even play whole openings with just the press of a button!

Reply #60 Posted: February 18, 2010, 07:57:07 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I had an excellent game using the Open Games function on RedHotPawn last night. An Open Game is exactly that: Users create a new game with no opponent and anyone with a spare game can play against them!

Anaraith: You've timed out of our game. Im not going to take a timeout win though so hurry up and move already!

The game was Queenside Fianchetto vs Tiwaking

1. b3 e6
The Larsen opening of b3 applies pressure on the center indirectly with the bishop. It shares an interesting relationship with the Orangutan opening (b4) except without risk of blacks cheap attack of e6

2. Bc1b2 f5
I was considering d5 here, but because I like f4 as an opening for white, I thought I'd try f5: The Dutch

3. e3 Ng8f6

A very lively game occurs if: 3. e4! fxe4 4. Qh5+ g6 5. Qe5 Nf6 6. Qxf6 Qxf6 7. Bxf6

4. Bb2xf6 Qd8xf6
This exchange caught me by surprise. The b2 bishop should be kept on the diagonal to apply pressure on the center. Not only does it weaken whites dark squares, it also gives me a free attack on the rook on a1

5. Nb1c3 Bf8b4
Gains a move by attacking the Knight. The Knight needs to be defended because the pawn cannot recapture else Qxc3+ forces either the King to move or the loss of the rock in the corner. The only way to defend the knight is Ng1e2, which blocks in the Queen AND the other bishop

6. Ng1e2 O-O
I use my free move to castle increasing the pressure along the f-file eyeing up f2 with Queen+Rook cannon

7. g3 Nb8c6

White trys to fianchetto's his other Bishop as it is out of squares to develop to. I develop a piece and am going to stonewall the postion with d5 if white fianchettos

8. Bf1g2 d5
9. a3 Bb4d6

White attacks the bishop which I dont wish to exchange just yet. I retreat hoping for possible attack lines down the black diagonals to support the Queen. White has other ideas though
10. Nc3b5 e5

Bah. Bully. I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to lose the dark squared bishop and decide to rush ahead and attack/open the f-file

11. Bg2xd5 Bc8e6

Damn. I didnt even see that my pawn was hanging, nor did I see that e5 lets me defend my bishop with my queen instead of the pawn on c7. 10. ... g5 was most probably the best move as it supported my attack without losing pawns

I need to develop my last minor piece so decide to attack whites bishop with my own expecting an exchange war

12. Bd5g2 f4

Im not sure why, but I believe the bishop retreat to g2 to be a bad move. I press on with my attack

13. Nb5xd6 cxd6

White sees through my rather unsubtle plan to win an exchange war on f4 (dxf4,exf4,gxf4,Bxf4,Nxf4,Qxf4) and eliminates one of my defenders/attackers

14. exf4 exf4
15. Ne2xf4 g5

The loss of my Bishop on d3 means Im one attacker short. With nothing to lose and two pawns down I decide to evict the knight on f4 with my pawn. The knight cannot play Nxe6 because of Qxf2++ so the knight must retreat to d3 to defend the f2 pawn

16. Nf4d3 Nc6e5

The white knight is the only defender for f2. It needs to be punished

17. O-O Be6g4

The king castles to safety and my attack peters out. Next target is the Queen. I was considering the moves: Nxd3 which wrecks whites pawn structure but does nothing else, g4 - which blocks my bishop from going to g4 but does threaten Ne3+. Bg4 forcefully gains a move and a pawn by attacking the Queen since the only reply is f3.

18. f3 Bg4xf3

The idea here was to be a pawn up in the exchange war. In fact, I was meant to play: Nxf3 here and Bxf3 was an accident

19. Bg2xf3 Ne5xf3+
20. Kg1g2 g4

I messaged my opponent here to say I did not expect this king move (I was expecting a big exchange). Since I need to defend my Knight, I do it with my g pawn

21. Nd3e1?? Nf3h4!+

The idea behind this sacrifice was, surprisingly enough, NOT to win the game! All I saw was: gxh4, Qxh4 threatening Qh3+. However the previous knight move means that the Rook on f1 is en-prise and its a two move checkmate

22. gxh4 Qf6xf1 0-1

White resigned one move before the end.

I really cant see much hope for my game after a move like: 21. Nf4 (blocking the f diagonal and defending h3)

Reply #61 Posted: March 02, 2010, 08:28:26 pm

Offline Anaraith

• Addicted
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1077344

Anaraith: You've timed out of our game. Im not going to take a timeout win though so hurry up and move already!

I gave up on chess :P

But ok just for you I shall play.

Reply #62 Posted: March 02, 2010, 09:47:28 pm
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Anaraith;1077393

But ok just for you I shall play.

Thanks Anaraith :) Good Game that was too

I didnt even realize I had a Knight check forks King + Queen on move 9

Reply #63 Posted: March 07, 2010, 07:11:42 pm

Offline Anaraith

• Addicted
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1080147
Thanks Anaraith :) Good Game that was too

I didnt even realize I had a Knight check forks King + Queen on move 9

Haha dam you are good. I didn't have much idea what I was doing past my current move and didn't even realise I walked into checkmate at the end.

Reply #64 Posted: March 07, 2010, 07:27:41 pm
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Sorry Tiwa, I can't really be bothered feeding my pieces to you :/

Reply #65 Posted: March 07, 2010, 08:14:30 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Anaraith;1077393

Me too. I'll sit around and take challenges, but actively playing requires too much brain power: Power I could be using to play Counterstrike
Quote from: Pyromanik;1080173
Sorry Tiwa, I can't really be bothered feeding my pieces to you :/

1. f4 d5
2. Ng1f3 Ng8f6

Black bullies me away from playing e4
3. e3 c5
4. c3 Nb8c6

Im trying to take away blacks knights options by restricting the squares where they can move. Currently e4 is open for the knight, but I can easily boot it with d3.

5. Bf1b5 a6
6. Qd1a4 e6

With nothing to lose I lash out at blacks queens knight. Notice that the a pawn is pinned here since axb5, Qxa8 and black is a rook down. Blacks e6 loses a pawn since Bd7 is required to prevent Bxc6+, bxc6, Qxc6+

7. Bb5xc6 Bc8d7?
8. Bc6xd7 Qd8xd7
9. Qa4c2 c4

Scored a free knight and my queen escapes

10. Nf3e5 Qd7b5

This Knight move gains a move since the Queen is forced away

11. Nb1a3 Qb5b6

...and again

12. Qc2a4 Ke8d8?

Black cannot block the Queen check with his own queen because of NxQ. The king retreats to the entirely wrong square

13. Ne5xf7+! Kd8c7
14. Nf7xh8 Bf8xa3

And loses his rook

15. Qa4xa3 Ra8xh8
16. Qe7+ Nf6d7
17. Qe7xg7 Rh8f8

Basically my queen is trying to squeeze black to death, pinning his knight, taking pieces and threatening to eat everything in sight

18. Qg7xh7 a5
19. g4 d4

My g pawn is a monster. It has no opposing pawns and is going to try to advance to the end of the board

20. cxd4 Qb6c6

The black squares around my king are totally safe from any Queen attack

21. Rh1f1 Qc6g2

This was a good try, but all Im focussing on at the moment is promoting the g-pawn. The Queen has no way through the kings fortress

22. g5 Qg2g4

Black NEEDED to play Kd6 or something here to free up his knight
23. g6 Qg4xg6???
24. Qh7xg6 resigns

Even without the blunder, black needs to give up another piece to prevent g=Queen and even if it DOES, then the h pawn is going to get promoted as well

Reply #66 Posted: March 08, 2010, 06:10:38 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Tiwaking vs Muncher

Shit. I've just done the wrong move. This has been one of the hardest games I've played so far.

1. f4 d5
2. Nf3 g6!

g6 is an excellent move here. Black is under no pressure to develop any pieces just yet

3. e3 Bg7

Black threatens d4 here without commiting his Knight to a square

4. c3 Nc6

d4 is under attack by two pieces, but defended by two pawns. Its interesting to note that I've found that playing c4? in the birds opening is quite bad (Tiwaking vs Anaraith) as declining the pawn gives black an advantage

I decide to take the risky alternative to the normal Stonewall (which is d4) and wipe out an attacker

5. Bb5?! a6
6. Bxc6 bxc6
7. Ne5 Qd6

I am trying to bait blacks bishop into exchanging here which would give me a nice center: Bxe5, fxe5 followed by d4 and Im in a good way. Black declines the exchange and defends the c6 pawn with is queen so....

8. 0-0 Bxe5
9. fxe5 Qxe5

Sacrifices a pawn, but I gain a move on the queen with

10. d4 Qd6

This is the best square for the Queen. Note that the Queen could also go to e6 which is slightly more vulnerable (moving the Rook behind the e pawn maybe)

The move I am horrified of Muncher playing here is: f4 which would totally destroy any chance of a quick attack. This is why I didnt play the obvious: Qf4. So: I sacrifice another pawn

11. e4?! dxe4
12. Nd2? Nf6?

Thank goodness for Nf6! The correct move I should have played here is: 12. Bf5! Which gains a move on the Queen. Please note that I am 100% sure that Black is going to castle king side here.

13. Nc4 Qe6
14. Ne5 Bd7

PHEW! Dodged a very large and very angry bullet here. Qe6, Nf6 and the Bishop on c8 are threatening the square: g4, which is the diagonal where my Queen is. Now, it may not look it, but my Queen is actually pinned to d1 for various defensive reasons

Ne5 defends g4 from a queen exchange attempt or a sneaky bishop attacks queen attempt

15. h3 0-0-0!

This move caught me by surprise. The reason being is the location of the White Queen in relation to the Black King. I grasp my only hope of a quick attack

16. Qa4 c5

The bishop threatens my queen and must die

17. Nxd7 Nxd7 - Rxd7 is also playable here

If Qxd7?? Qxa6+, Kb8, Ba7+, Ka8, Bb6+, Kb8, Qa7++.

18. Be3 exd4

Im trying to play: exd4 followed by d5! I couldnt do this straight away as my rooks are not connected AND exd4, Nxd4 and my Queen is attacked losing a move. The bishop is now defending the pawn.

19. Bxd4 Nf6 - Blocks the attack on blacks rook
20. Rae1 Rhe8

And finally the bad move....

21. Qc2

What should have been played here is b4 and pushing the pawn to eradicate the pieces in my Queens way

Chess is too hard a game

Reply #67 Posted: March 09, 2010, 07:59:49 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1081590

Chess is too hard a game

A fickle mistress.

Reply #68 Posted: March 09, 2010, 08:01:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Pyromanik;1081591
A fickle mistress.

“If Chess is a science, it's a most inexact one. If Chess is an art, it is too exacting to be seen as one. If Chess is a sport, it's too esoteric. If Chess is a game, it's too demanding to be just a game. If Chess is a mistress, she's a demanding one. If Chess is a passion, it's a rewarding one. If Chess is life, it's a sad one”
(Unknown)

Reply #69 Posted: March 09, 2010, 08:12:25 pm

Offline Pyromanik

So true. One wrong move and things can turn around just like that! *waits 15 minutes then clicks fingers*

Reply #70 Posted: March 09, 2010, 08:20:16 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1081590
Tiwaking vs Muncher

21. Qc2

What should have been played here is b4 and pushing the pawn to eradicate the pieces in my Queens way

Chess is too hard a game

Unbelievable

Muncher just threw away a drawn game! (pictured below)

21. ... g5 - Stopping the rook from playing Rf4
22. g4 Qxa2? - g4 lets me play Rf5 instead. I was hoping Muncher would take the bait on a2 since eating that pawn leads to a drawn ending
23. Bxf6 exf6
23. Rxe4 Rxe4
24. Qxe4 Rd6 - Defends both f6 and any attempt to play Qc6+
25. Qa8+ Kd7 - Forced
26. Re1 Re6 - Prevents Qe8++
27. Rd1+ Rd6 - I offered Muncher a draw here. The game is effectively drawn since the only chance I have is Re1 which Muncher can block by playing Re6

28. Re1 Qxb2??? - The worst move!
29. Qe8++

That game was too hard. Far too hard

Reply #71 Posted: March 10, 2010, 05:02:16 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Here is an interesting game I had recently. USParaTrooper had been complaining in the chess forums about losing his temper when he lost. Had a look at his games and he didnt really have anything to be angry about, was pretty solid play, but got outplayed by better players

I decided to test him and challenged him to a game (I am playing as black)

1.d4 f5 - This is the black Dutch defense. It stops e5 and frees up the f file
2. Nc3 nf6?

Yeah. A mistake on move two? Its not a true mistake, its just that it can lead to some very 'hard' situations for black where bad move = lose. The problem here is: 3. d5! Since I cant play Nxd5 and it prevents e5 since dxe5, dxe5 QxQ KxQ and I am slighty worse off

3.Bf4? e6 - Bf4 is definitely a mistake. It is throwing a piece out to be attacked whereas it isnt supporting or attacking anything important

4. Nf3 Bb4 5. a3 Bxf3 6.bxf3 Nc6

This is good for me. It wrecks whites pawn structure and gains a move which I use to develop a piece. Whites best option would have probably been 5. Qd3 to stop his pawns being wrecked

7.e3 Nh5

The idea here is to make white think they are gaining the upper hand by 'winning' a move with a safe attack on the Queen

The true purpose of the move is to try and force an exchange:

- 8. Bg5 Nf6
 - 9. (Pretty much any move other than BxN) h6

8. Bg5 Nf6
9. Be2 h6
10. Bh4? g5!

In this case USArmyParatrooper declined the exchange and traded a piece for two pawns. He probably saw an attack with: Bh5+

The problem is after: Rxh5, Qxh5+, Nxh5, BxQ, KxQ - White has traded two bishops and a Queen for a Rook and a Queen. White already being a pawn down AND with a smashed pawn structure means its chances of winning are slim

11. Nxg5 hxg5 12.Bxg5 Qe7

And here comes a bad move

12. 0-0? Qh7

Castles right into an instant-checkmate threat. There are several ways to prevent: Qxh7++, but White chooses the most obvious one

13.h3 Ne4!

Unpinned the knight can go wreak havoc on the white position. It attacks the bishop and the unprotected pawn on d3, which threatens a fork. It impossible to prevent all these threats. However I mess up here

14. f4 Nxg5? - D'oh. My eagerness to eat that annoying bishop gets the better of me
15.fxg5 Qg8 - The g pawn threatens to become an advancing monster
16.Bh5+ Kd8 - Castling rights gone
17.Be2 Qxg5 - Problem pawn OM NOM NOM
18.Rf3 b6

Rf3 is forced as I am threatening Rxh3 (fxh3 is not possible as it is pinned by the Queen)

19.Qd2? Bb7 - I am pretty sure that Qe1 was required here. It threatens Rg3 threatening blacks Queen

20. d5? Ne5! - Threatens whites rook, but that is not the true purpose of this move....

21.dxe6?? Bxf3

White resigns

USParatrooper overlooked the fact that:

Ne5 prevents any attempt to play Qxe2++
Ne5 pins the d pawn to the rook on f3
Ne5 threatens Nxf3+ which forks the King and Queen
f3 is completely unprotected
f2 is completely unprotected

edit: 3. Bf4? e6 (originally e5, mistake)

Reply #72 Posted: April 12, 2010, 12:55:41 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Just had a fun game against Pyromanik which you can check out here:
http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=10432016&cbqsid=15979

I'll post up the annotated analysis game as well. I actually messed up the ending and missed a Mate in Two!

Good Game Pyro, but what was with you letting me eat your Knights like that?!

Reply #73 Posted: January 21, 2014, 01:38:56 am

Offline Pyromanik

That my friend, is called extreme rust.

I had a reasonably strong opening I thought, purely by accident for the most part. I had no plan after that, and the opening left me reasonably restricted with my bigger pieces. I tried for some traps, but often didn't see a third piece that could defeat me. That's what happened with both knights I think.

Once you moved your second knight into play it pretty much locked down the board and crippled the majority of my plans (most of which I'd made then ignored anyway, leading to the capture of my second knight). I didn't have my pieces in the right places and not enough moves left before your looming checkmate for me to salvage any useful play.

But it was fun to play again. We should do this more often. But for now I'll break I think, plus it's nearly 2am in NZ, do you not have work in the morning?
Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:48:02 am by Pyromanik

Reply #74 Posted: January 21, 2014, 01:45:35 am