Topic: Comic Books [MARVEL]

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Since dating my woman friend, she gave me the nudge I was looking for to get stuck into comic books. I had been into X-Men in a big way when I was much younger and have decided to get back into it.

Just started reading Secret Wars - Marvel's universe reboot without being a reboot (go figure). Holy fuck, best thing I've read, ever and I'm only 2 issues in.

In the comic book world, Wolverine is dead and will be superseded by a female Wolverine clone called X-23. There's a shit load of Hulks, grey hulk, savage hulk (green), red hulk, prof green. Each one representing a different repressed personality (except for Red Hulk, he is someone different). Prof Hulk is the current Hulk, which shows the Hulk as retaining his super intelligent side together with his massive strength. Whats more, in the comic book world, Hulk's strength is unlimited, infinite and has gotten strong enough to destroy planets. The movie version of Hulk is a shadow of what he is capable of.

Comic book world's Thor is now unworthy of MJLONIR (hammer) and the new Thor is now a woman, and a hell of a lot more powerful.

Spoiler :
Jane Foster is now Thor, and she is dying of cancer due to being a mortal while wielding MJOLNIR. Odinson (old Thor) had his arm chopped off and now has a false arm and wields an axe, made from the same dwarf race that crafted MJOLNIR. Nick Fury whispered something in old Thor's ear which made him unworthy of wielding MJOLNIR.

If you ever wanted to get into Comics, after the Secret Wars arc, now will be your time. Everything is being re-started at #1 due to the events that will happen in Secret Wars (2 universes colliding).

Want to know about the Marvel Universe(s) that you don't see in the movies? Ask, and I'll do my best to answer. But be prepared to get confused because the Marvel Comics run separately from the Marvel Movies.

Posted: June 15, 2015, 12:33:33 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
At first I was relatively devastated at the news that Wolverine was yet again to die in the universe - but was not coming back this time around. Then I heard x23 and went Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn thats close enough.

TBH I'm looking forward to this - kids need to continue to learn to live with imagination and what better way than reviving the Marvel Universe?  I see they are totally bypassing Mar-Vell and rolling with Carol Danvers to try and balance out the male/female superhero ratio.

I'm totally excited by this!! The Clevelander and I even came up with our own new Marvel superhero.  I wonder if they will ever raise Kiwi Black or maybe even Gateway!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #1 Posted: June 16, 2015, 10:33:46 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/03/16/marvel-reveals-more-comics-spinning-out-of-secret-wars?page=1

What I've got going on subscription with Arkham Comics so far:

Mad Max: Fury Road
Thor [2014]
Secret Wars
Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
Age of Apocalypse.
Armour Wars.
Guardians of Knowhere.
Infinity Gauntlet.
Old Man Logan.
Ultimate End.

I also picked up The All New Captain America Special - Inhuman ERROR. Black Bolt has gone AWOL and is fucking everyone up with Terrigen. Spiderman tried to mack on Medusa and got shut down, haha.
Deadpools remaining issues up to issue #45 (Death of Deadpool).
Thanos vs Hulk. (This was a little underwhelming. Done in the traditional writing style where every page is narrated instead of unfolding at its own pace)
Hulk Annual 2015.

Will be looking at grabbing a whole lot more on sub when Secret Wars ends and the new Marvel begins (so to speak).

Reply #2 Posted: June 16, 2015, 10:47:57 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
i havent bought comic book in decades but im thinking the secret wars might just reignite that

Reply #3 Posted: June 16, 2015, 11:03:13 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I only read books with no pictures.

Reply #4 Posted: June 16, 2015, 11:21:42 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I only read books with no pictures.
Fuck off.

Reply #5 Posted: June 16, 2015, 11:51:01 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

I'm a tad intrigued as to why they chose colossus to be outed as gay.....

Reply #6 Posted: June 16, 2015, 12:11:46 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Really? He's gay?

How does that stick? He's had a massive romance with Kitty Pride for a long time.

Kitty Pride is now dancing with Star Lord.

Reply #7 Posted: June 16, 2015, 12:38:12 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

Ok, I think you just converted me, now I want to read all these comics.

Why would be a good place to start?

I like Star Lord, Daredevil,
Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:18:42 pm by Plain ol' Spacemonkey

Reply #8 Posted: June 16, 2015, 12:55:44 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

Really? He's gay?

How does that stick? He's had a massive romance with Kitty Pride for a long time.

Yeah bro i read they were going to out Colossus as a batty boy - no reason given at all

Reply #9 Posted: June 16, 2015, 01:37:00 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Ok, I think you just converted me, now I want to read all these comics.

Why would be a good place to start?

I like Star Lord, Daredevil,

A good place to start would be to wait until the Secret Wars event is over. With Marvel, when an event is started, it is usually in conjunction with every other series it runs, it's a way of keeping all the comic books running in tandem and creates continuity with all its characters. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy isn't called Guardians of the Galaxy right now due to the multiverse crashing into itself (events of Secret Wars), they're called The Guardians of Knowhere (funny play on words, not a typo). Once Secret Wars is done, the Marvel universe will theoretically be rebooted, but word on this is still a little thin.

Marvel Comics, the home of the greatest super heroes of all time, introduces a new direction for the Marvel Universe. This is All-New All-Different Marvel!

Coming this fall, all fans will be introduced to the perfect start to the Marvel Universe featuring the biggest creative names in the comic book industry – Brian Michael Bendis, Jason Aaron, Mark Waid, Dan Slott, Charles Soule, G. Willow Wilson, Jeff Lemire, along with many more, will have a hand in crafting an all-new and all-different Marvel Universe.

“This is the Marvel Universe,” says Axel Alonso, Editor In Chief. “This fall, we will be inviting readers into a universe comprised of bold new landscapes populated with characters and teams both familiar and brand-new.”

“This is going to be an absolute game changer for Marvel,” says David Gabriel, SVP of Sales & Marketing. “Similar to the most successful comics industry program of this century, Marvel NOW!, All-New All-Different Marvel is going to be presenting fans new #1’s for every title coming out during this event. This is a brand new beginning that honors our past 76 years, yet takes a bold step with daring, and accessible, entry points. Simply stated – this is Marvel!”

This fall, the comics industry’s greatest creators invite fans into a spectacular universe that truly represents the marvelous world outside your window!

However, what has been a god send for me is signing up to Marvel Unlimited. (marvel.com). This gives you access to all Marvel comics online running up until 6 months ago (comics made available when they are 6 months old). I think it's like, $10USD a month.

Star Lord was given his own series back in Nov 2014 called The Legendary Starlord, some places might still stock issues from #1 until present (put on hold while the Secret Wars event is happening). I'm not sure if this starts with his Origin story but he's been re-modeled to look like his movie version so it might be easy enough to pick up once seeing Guardians of the Galaxy movie, of not, a bit of Wikipedia on him will brig you up to speed.

As for Daredevil, he was currently in his 2014 series, but I assume that has also been put on hold while Secret Wars happens.

You're in Auckland, so you have access to a really cool shop called Arkham Comics, which is in the Royal Oak Shopping Mall. The guys there helped me out with picking up series and they're always keen to put newcomers on the right tracks.

Seriously though, check out signing up for Marvel Unlimited. It's cheap and gives you access to a shit ton of online comics which lets you get familiar with certain aspects of Marvel without spewing out cash for printed copies before you decide which series you want to invest in (in NZ, comics are usually $10 a pop compared to $3.99USD. I think it's the way the distributors have to bring them in which adds a huge mark up). You'll need a tunnel app to mask you're from NZ in order to sign up, but once done you wont need it again.
Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:29:01 pm by Retardobot

Reply #10 Posted: June 16, 2015, 03:26:27 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit Emily Blunt as Captain Marvel oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeayah!!!!!!!!

Reply #11 Posted: June 19, 2015, 09:30:10 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

So, Fantastic Four has bombed. Didn't even win its opening weekend and is not set to even break even with the $120M price tag it had to get made. Damning reviews on RT and much the same on IMDB.

Trank (directer) has come out swinging against 20th Century Fox. Apparently Fox came in at the 11th hour before filming and butchered the whole movie which left it a corpse. Poking around at the info behind the shitty movie lead me to some new info.

Last year Marvel cancelled the Fantastic Four comic series. The characters still exist, they show up in other series, but as individuals, not as the original team. Disney/Marvel have distanced themselves from Fantastic Four as they sold the rights to Fox years ago to make movies (along with X-Men) before Disney bought Marvel and set up Marvel Studios and started making their own movies. The reason they did this is that before Marvel sold Fox the rights to make movies from F4 and X-Men, they attempted to make their own movies, including some Captain America flicks, Howard the Duck and a Nick Fury starring Daivd Hasselhoff (they all bombed, they didn't know how to make movies). So now Marvel have the expertise to make their own movies (thanks to the takeover from Disney) they are slowly dropping anything that Fox still has the rights to make movies about.

This also explains why there are 2 Quicksilvers (one in the X-Men movies and one in the Avengers movies). Marvel don't have the rights to put Quicksilver in their movies as they sold the rights to Fox. So, Marvel got sneaky and retconned Quicksilver. They re-wrote his history by explaining that he was never a mutant/X-Man, instead he was a genetic experiment along with his Sister, Scarlet Witch- undertaken by someone called The High Evolutionary (a dude who experimented on himself, making him powerful and super smart). This is explained in The Avengers - Age of Ultron.

Marvel killed off Wolverine some months ago and have rebooted him as X-23 (female wolverine) as what I assume is an attempt to recreate Wolverine so they can make movies about her in the future. Professor X is dead. The X-men comics haven't been a top seller in a LONG time, it's been all about the Avengers. How can they kill off the X-Men? What will they replace them with? The InHumans. They'll be the new 'mutants'. A race of ancient homosapiens that where insta-evolved by an alien race during a huge war in an attempt to create biological weapons with the use of Teragen mist. The alien race thought they were a failure and left them on Earth where they evolved further along side us.

So, once the InHuman's movie drops in 2019, I can guess that Marvel will be pushing InHumans alongside The Avengers so hard that the X-Men would have either already been killed off (in a similar event to The House of M) or forgotten about.
Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:29:45 am by Retardobot

Reply #12 Posted: August 10, 2015, 10:27:57 am

Offline broncos

• Addicted
  • broncos has no influence.
Used to collect 2000ad back In the day also spider man/ daredevil- what's a comic cost these days ?
Wouldn't read online - it's just not the same .

Reply #13 Posted: August 17, 2015, 11:39:23 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

They're around $9 - 10NZD a pop.

Not cheap, but no one has set up as an NZ distributor so everything is brought over from US suppliers. If in Auckland, Heroes4Sale sell older series for $3 a copy.

Reply #14 Posted: August 17, 2015, 11:59:54 am

Offline broncos

• Addicted
  • broncos has no influence.
Holy crap .... There used to be a shop in queen st, mark1 I think it was . $ 10 wow.

Reply #15 Posted: August 17, 2015, 12:14:20 pm