Topic: THIS IS SHIT SHIT SHITBALLS

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Wait, does this affect the Humble Bundles as well?

The more money you pay, the more the Government gets?

affects anything deemed to be a service or goods that sells more than a stupidly low threshold, netflix, steam, amazon books, itunes, etc etc

Reply #25 Posted: November 23, 2015, 07:20:44 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
If you don't like people having the ability to complain about tax move to N Korea

It doesn't make sense to complain about tax. It's the governments source of income. Same as every other country.

Complaining about how that money is spent is a different matter.

Of course it makes sense. I'm not complaining about paying tax, I'm complaining about paying MORE tax in a country that is in the top ten "most taxed" countries.

Things are semi-ok at the moment but it's been a rough 5 - 10 years and people don't have a lot of money. Increasing the cost of entertainment by 15% is a dick move. Government service indeed.

Reply #26 Posted: November 23, 2015, 10:54:50 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Also on the related subject of physical imports, if NZ retailers only charged 15% less than online I'd buy from them, but they don't..

If I can buy things overseas, and even with shipping to NZ they can be 1/2 the price of the same item in NZ, something is very rotten.

Reply #27 Posted: November 23, 2015, 11:20:43 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Regional pricing and buying power. Retail prices are more controlled by distributors than you'd think. I have to buy product x from the importer/distributor, even when product x is for sale online to the end user at less than my cost.

When the boomers are dead and gone, so too will bricks and mortar go. Scary prospect for me really. I'm trying to get our online store up to scratch with little funds and less understanding from boomer management.

Also trying to get a younger market, but until I can drop ship from overseas it's never going to happen.
Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:21:48 pm by Clin

Reply #28 Posted: November 23, 2015, 12:18:10 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
My theory for digital goods, is that NZ law should be changed so that any digital good (game, tv show, whatever), should be made available by the supplier/copyright owner at the cheapest price anywhere in the world, or it becomes legal to copy it because they are illegally price gouging. Would also apply if they decline to make it available in NZ. It would kill regional pricing dead.

To take an example from SteamPrices, currently Silent Hill Homecoming is USD$39.99 (NZD$61.11),  GBP£17.99 (NZD$41.81), or EUR€19.99 (NZD$32.54). It's also not currently available on steam in NZ. Under my proposal, it would be legal to pirate it because it's not offered here, but even if it was offered here they would have to price it at the lowest global price(NZD$32.54) or again it would be legal to copy it.

It's the logical extension of our pro consumer laws into the global digital marketplace, they can provide the goods at a reasonable price, without price gouging, or they can have their content pirated.

I don't really see why we shouldn't extend the pricing requirements to physical goods, I they sell it anywhere in the world at Cost X, the price in NZ should only ever be Cost X + shipping to NZ.

Reply #29 Posted: November 23, 2015, 02:39:02 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
^ communist.

Reply #30 Posted: November 23, 2015, 08:48:55 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
My theory for digital goods, is that NZ law should be changed so that any digital good (game, tv show, whatever), should be made available by the supplier/copyright owner at the cheapest price anywhere in the world, or it becomes legal to copy it because they are illegally price gouging. Would also apply if they decline to make it available in NZ. It would kill regional pricing dead.

To take an example from SteamPrices, currently Silent Hill Homecoming is USD$39.99 (NZD$61.11),  GBP£17.99 (NZD$41.81), or EUR€19.99 (NZD$32.54). It's also not currently available on steam in NZ. Under my proposal, it would be legal to pirate it because it's not offered here, but even if it was offered here they would have to price it at the lowest global price(NZD$32.54) or again it would be legal to copy it.

It's the logical extension of our pro consumer laws into the global digital marketplace, they can provide the goods at a reasonable price, without price gouging, or they can have their content pirated.

I don't really see why we shouldn't extend the pricing requirements to physical goods, I they sell it anywhere in the world at Cost X, the price in NZ should only ever be Cost X + shipping to NZ.

HEAR HEAR, GIVE THIS MAN A JOB AS AN MP

Reply #31 Posted: November 24, 2015, 07:40:29 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
That's anti-competitive to the extreme. Anyone who couldn't compete on the price would go out of business (because they are "illegally price gouging", leaving one vendor holding a monopoly, who could then charge what ever they want.

Most stupid idea ever.

Reply #32 Posted: November 24, 2015, 09:07:37 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Despite the obvious flaws in your proposal. I'd like to see other markets in NZ be held responsible for blatant price gouging long before videos games/software were looked at.

Reply #33 Posted: November 24, 2015, 09:20:24 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted

Despite the obvious flaws in your proposal. I'd like to see other markets in NZ be held responsible for blatant price gouging long before videos games/software were looked at.

LESBI'ONEST HERE Lias was actually only ever talking about the  "Games " Digitial Goods"  aka Hookers  were price gouging, i mean if you can root in a bar for the cost of two or three spirits drinks, then $50 for blowie is just price gouging.. and $180 per hour for GF experience is just gouging as well.

especially since Lias pays for everything with reach arounds.
Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:06:22 am by Xsannz

Reply #34 Posted: November 24, 2015, 09:38:46 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I don't even know what you're saying right now.

Stop smoking meth before breakfast.

Reply #35 Posted: November 24, 2015, 09:50:26 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
I don't even know what you're saying right now.

Stop smoking meth before breakfast.

Pah all i did was sniff your protein powder...

Reply #36 Posted: November 24, 2015, 11:05:31 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
That's anti-competitive to the extreme. Anyone who couldn't compete on the price would go out of business (because they are "illegally price gouging", leaving one vendor holding a monopoly, who could then charge what ever they want.

Most stupid idea ever.

It's not meant to stop a monopoly, it's meant to ensure that kiwis never pay a cent more than anyone else in the world for a product. If the entire planet is begin squeezed by a monopoly, then so be it, but I doubt that situation would ever happen, someone would innovate around it.

Reply #37 Posted: November 24, 2015, 11:27:56 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
It's not meant to stop a monopoly, it's meant to ensure that kiwis never pay a cent more than anyone else in the world for a product. If the entire planet is begin squeezed by a monopoly, then so be it, but I doubt that situation would ever happen, someone would innovate around it.
Let's not stop on a country level.

Regionally people in Otago shouldn't be paying more for butter than the people in Waikato.

Hell, throw out regionally, lets do it on postcodes, no streets!

Stupid idea is stupid.

Price varies "inexplicably", just deal with it. If you don't like it move to the place which offers things at the price you want, and complain about other things you don't agree with.
Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:04:41 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #38 Posted: November 24, 2015, 04:30:23 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Clin

• Addicted
^You're in my cool book.

If you don't understand the way goods are priced here you need to look up both "economies of scale" and "distance to market". Both of which pose difficulties to New Zealand businesses.

If you try to price gouge anything, anything the next guy in line will take your market share. People are too savvy now, and they're price checking globally, just like us when we buy games.

Reply #39 Posted: November 24, 2015, 07:30:49 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
^You're in my cool book.

If you don't understand the way goods are priced here you need to look up both "economies of scale" and "distance to market". Both of which pose difficulties to New Zealand businesses.

If you try to price gouge anything, anything the next guy in line will take your market share. People are too savvy now, and they're price checking globally, just like us when we buy games.

I think you are missing Lias' point - he is referring to digital media where there is almost zero cost in terms of Distance to Market (econmies of Scale really only applies to digital media if the servers can't handle the load - a la the slashdot effect)

pricing differences based on ease of delivery to various regions I have no problem with - but again, that doesn't apply to Digital Media.

Reply #40 Posted: November 25, 2015, 08:51:32 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
I'm totally with him on the digital side. It blows my mind that physical media is cheaper than digital in NZ, but unless I'm mistaken he's brought physical consumer goods into his argument and it's simply not the same thing.

Example lazy quote:

"I don't really see why we shouldn't extend the pricing requirements to physical goods, I they sell it anywhere in the world at Cost X, the price in NZ should only ever be Cost X + shipping to NZ."

Reply #41 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:10:06 am

lol @ console hate

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I'm totally with him on the digital side. It blows my mind that physical media is cheaper than digital in NZ, but unless I'm mistaken he's brought physical consumer goods into his argument and it's simply not the same thing.

Example lazy quote:

"I don't really see why we shouldn't extend the pricing requirements to physical goods, I they sell it anywhere in the world at Cost X, the price in NZ should only ever be Cost X + shipping to NZ."

Well the + Shipping to NZ should account for the cost to market that you are raising.

Reply #42 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:20:49 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
But not economies of scale. More units garner lower prices. Biggest guy wins, boom monopoly.

Reply #43 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:24:00 am

lol @ console hate

The point of regional pricing is because in some regions, people are willing and able to pay more then people in other regions, due to things like average wealth. i.e in NZ, we are generally more wealthy then people in Kyrgyzstan. So you can't charge people in Kyrgyzstan the same price that you would charge people in NZ for a game (i.e $80), because no one in Kyrgyzstan would be able to buy it.

Vice versa, if you changed people in NZ for games at the price you charge a Kyrgyz (let say $20), then you no going to make as much money.

There will be a sweet spot for every region where a distributor will get the best return for a particular price. It's fully within their right to set that price, they are a business, not a charity. They're there to make a profit.

You are not entitled to their product for a certain price, digital media is not a life necessity, it's entertainment. You don't need it, you just want it.

It might not be fair, deal with it. There are ways to work around it.

Haveing legalisation like Lias suggested which sets the price on digital media is extremely anti-competitive, and a restriction of freedom on how business are allowed to operate. It would also be terrible for our economy.

Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:27:17 am by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #44 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:25:06 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
The point of regional pricing is because in some regions, people are willing and able to pay more then people in other regions, due to things like average wealth. i.e in NZ, we are generally more wealthy then people in Kyrgyzstan. So you can't charge people in Kyrgyzstan the same price that you would charge people in NZ for a game (i.e $80), because no one in Kyrgyzstan would be able to buy it.

Vice versa, if you changed people in NZ for games at the price you charge a Kyrgyz (let say $20), then you no going to make as much money.

There will be a sweet spot for every region where a distributor will get the best return for a particular price. It's fully within their right to set that price, they are a business, not a charity. They're there to make a profit.

You are not entitled to their product for a certain price, digital media is not a life necessity, it's entertainment. You don't need it, you just want it.

It might not be fair, deal with it. There are ways to work around it.

Haveing legalisation like Lias suggested which sets the price on digital media is extremely anti-competitive, and a restriction of freedom on how business are allowed to operate. It would also be terrible for our economy.

Respectfully - Bullshit.

If the people of poverty-stan can't afford to buy it at $80, then they can't afford to buy it. Period.
If the game developers make enough profit off a $20 sale in Poverty-stan for it to be viable to sell at $20 (for a given number of units), then they can make the same profit by selling it in NZ at $20.

This is a legacy of the physical media age where there was a significant barrier to people going to poverty-stan and getting the discount price, now with the internet, that barrier has been removed, yet businesses are still clinging onto distribution models that artificially inflate the price solely to increase their profit.

Reply #45 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:32:14 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
^ What TDL said :-P

If they can sell it in whogivesafuckistan at $20 and make a profit, and shipping to NZ is $20, it should be $40 in NZ, not $80.

Reply #46 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:47:01 am

So your logic is, I want it for $40 so it should be $40?

Who cares about businesses actuality making money.

Like I said, digital media is not a necessity, you are not entitled to it. Companies have a freedom to change what ever they want. Just like you have the freedom to decide to buy it or not.

Reply #47 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:53:54 am

If the game developers make enough profit off a $20 sale in Poverty-stan for it to be viable to sell at $20 (for a given number of units), then they can make the same profit by selling it in NZ at $20.

It's not viable to only sell at $20 in Poverty-stan, that market is not enough to pay for the development of the game.
That is why they also have to sell in in NZ for $80.

Digital media is not a physical good, you don't get profit per sale, because, unlike physical good, there is no cost per sale.

The cost is the development of the game, the revenue is to total of all sales worldwide, and the profit makes the difference.

It's ironic that you reference the legacy of the physical media age as a factor, where in fact, you are the one treating a digital product as a physical one.

Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:03:31 am by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #48 Posted: November 25, 2015, 09:56:28 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Maybe they aren't selling it at a profit.

Maybe by taking a negative profit (aka. "a loss" to the people in the know) they are able to get their game to reach more of an audience. And just maybe that might add more intangible value to their product.

These "facts" you are basing your argument on are crap.

It's like you've written a book, or many books, on how you think things should be done with "testaments"; and are now knocking on peoples doors looking for people to join your crusade. Sound familiar?

Don't come in here and pretend to know what you're talking about when you don't have all the information.

Do I agree with GST on digital goods? I don't know. It feels weird, but I'm certainly not pretending that I know more about the markets than the companies selling the goods.

Idiocy in thread is at an all time high.

Reply #49 Posted: November 25, 2015, 10:00:38 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-