Topic: What did you do to your vehicle today?

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Looks great alright,is it HRCs test scheme or something?

Reply #575 Posted: June 08, 2012, 10:03:26 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Quote from: Hmmmgood;1489380
Looks great alright,is it HRCs test scheme or something?
Na, just a promotional colour that Honda used for their show versions of the RCV. Honda Aussie ran similar colours (without the wing) for their superbike team a few years back.

Quote from: slicD-woodN-caT;1489361
Thanks, Its based on this (attached) and is a red metallic base coat with metallic orange (namedly MAL19 Giallo Perla Met 232b)
Looks crazy amazing in direct sunlight :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]7310[/ATTACH]
Is that pick you attached a VFR400 with different fairings?

Reply #576 Posted: June 11, 2012, 01:34:42 pm

Codex

Someone suggested I pull apart my dead electric window switch to see why it stopped working:

The right prong was worn, not only that but the contacts where the see-saw type bar connected were so filthy I don't even know how they were touching at all.

I rotated the prong and cleaned the contacts + bars in IPA. Tested the switch and works better than the one in use right now. So keeping it as a spare until that one dies lol. The casing is quite easy to get apart without breaking.

Reply #577 Posted: June 24, 2012, 06:53:21 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
BOUGHT NEW CAR

Reply #578 Posted: June 24, 2012, 06:59:06 pm

Offline D_Unit

• Addicted
  • D_Unit has no influence.
Getting car windows tinted, 35% by Autotintz

Reply #579 Posted: June 27, 2012, 11:59:09 am

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Stripped out instrument cluster/speedo from my old XJ750P (it's started to make a horrible squealing noise when riding).

Removed speedo (a fiddly job), cleaned gears and other parts, lubed, discovered that the reed switch was also a bit dicky so replaced it from another spare I had sitting there, refitted it all again.

Just waiting on a better casing for the digital readout part from a mate then hopefully back onto the bike and no more squeal...... I hope....

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6804/350pt.jpg
What did you do to your vehicle today?
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reply #580 Posted: June 27, 2012, 12:54:43 pm

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
  • Ninja has no influence.
so recently my clutch started slipping, and since the cambelt is getting old as well i had to do some work, and since it's transverse 4wd i had a LOT of work to do

started by putting it on the hoist

removed bonnet and started to disconnect the intercooler, loom, fuel lines, clutch, gears and so on

brought the hoist down and put the engine onto a table

braced it from above and disconnected the subframe and tophats

lifted the car off the engine, subframe and suspension

it was a lot heavier than we thought, bent the engine crane set to 750kg

disconnected the subframe from the engine and got the gearbox off, no photos of that cause it was an absolute bitch and took a whole afternoon

removed the old clutch, flywheel and cambelt

new clutch

flywheel machined

new clutch aligned and installed

new cambelt installed and cam timing checked as well as water pump, tensioner and idler bearing

everything done in reverse, getting the gearbox back on was the biggest son of a bitch imaginable, took about 3 hours with 4 people

everything back in car and connected, no photos cause i was in a hurry
apart from finished product

new oil, powersteering fluid, gear oil, coolant, clutch and brake fluid

unfortunately the ignition timing had gone out from the cams firing 30 degrees "after" top dead center, oops, took a timing light to it and its back to its factory 255WHP(ish)

done want to do that again anytime soon, maybe i shouldnt have become a mechanic/dyno tuner, sigh
Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:22:52 pm by Ninja

Reply #581 Posted: July 02, 2012, 03:17:03 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I think I would have bought a new one.

Reply #582 Posted: July 02, 2012, 03:51:12 pm

Codex

^Tear, zarkov, disappoint.

Did you do tensioners idlers pulleys pumps or just the belt?

Reply #583 Posted: July 02, 2012, 06:33:01 pm

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
Quote from: Ninja;1492288
new cambelt installed and cam timing checked as well as water pump, tensioner and idler bearing

:) lol, yes i did

Reply #584 Posted: July 02, 2012, 07:56:08 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Codex

Quote from: Ninja;1492341
:) lol, yes i did
Was too distracted by the pictures :P good work though!

Wish I had easy access to a hoist sometimes lol

Reply #585 Posted: July 02, 2012, 08:25:36 pm

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
Nice work

I actually really want to learn the automotive trade for my own purposes at home but there's no such thing as a part time mechanics course unfortunately

Reply #586 Posted: July 10, 2012, 08:27:14 am

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
My precious has been in the workshop since last Wednesday, hopefully get her back today. Noticed some coolant drop last monday lunchtime, was coming from mid-engine, dropped in to workshop - couldn't find anything to begin with. Traced it back to a dodgy o-ring on the thermostat housing, and in the process of pulling the housing they noticed a bit of internal corrosion on the hose connectors (weird as have always run anti-freeze). Opted to replace the housing rather than repair the existing one, figured it was better long term.

Reply #587 Posted: July 10, 2012, 09:03:06 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Codex

Good plan spig.

Strut brace arrived today :B

Reply #588 Posted: July 10, 2012, 09:14:33 am

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
Quote from: Greaver;1493382
Nice work

I actually really want to learn the automotive trade for my own purposes at home but there's no such thing as a part time mechanics course unfortunately

hey greaver, im doing a 3 day a week course in palmy, i know theres ones in feilding and somewhere in hawkes bay, there are courses round, maybe ask at a local workshop?

Reply #589 Posted: July 10, 2012, 04:52:08 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
Serious?

Might have a deeper look in my area

I live in Tauranga and I figured the Polytech would be the only ones with courses, full time 36 hours p/w or part time if you are emplyed at a garage and have done a year full time.

Not ideal lol

Reply #590 Posted: July 10, 2012, 05:35:55 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I ripped the fucked old mongoose alarm out of my hiace (bike transport slut) cause it finally crossed the line.

Then I popped a new set of tyres on the back, new sway arm bushes (first time I've ever worked under a car lift.....the first week of an apprenticeship must be hell) and some other stuff to get it back up to WOF standard, going to flick it off soon though as it's a bit much work and money for a student to afford just to transport a race bike out to the track (which I cant do half the time cause i have no money from maintaining a dumb van and an mx5)

also bought a CTEK 5A charger, was a bonus kit with the flashing LED connector, put the flashing LED connector on the race bike, so I can monitor the battery and put the standard plug on the van battery and trickle charge that when it's not used.

I want a ford straight 6 ute (the car-like one)

Reply #591 Posted: July 10, 2012, 05:50:57 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Codex

Mongoose and avs alarms are jokes, waste of time. They only score 5 stars because our rating system is hilarious, they don't stand up to international standards. If you want a real alarm get an autowatch or cobra alarm.

Strut brace and coolant bubble bleeding kit arrived :D the bleeding kit seemed a bit pricey but it's very epic quality, doesn't feel flimsy or cheap at all.

The brace has a wee bit of rust so going to sand back and treat (thanks xsannz for the treatment howto)

Wondering if it would cause any issue to dismantle the ends so I can clean it all up and get then ends powder coated.

Reply #592 Posted: July 10, 2012, 06:08:30 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Dismantle how? It's only one bolt each end as far as I can see. They're made to be taken apart anyway because you need to do it to access the engine sometimes.

Reply #593 Posted: July 10, 2012, 06:22:51 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Codex

Okay, was more wondering if there was a specific torque spec they used etc.

Will be a very tight fit >_<

Reply #594 Posted: July 10, 2012, 06:26:08 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Codex;1493386
Good plan spig.

Strut brace arrived today :B

:( she's still got a wee bladder issue... undergoing more pressure testing tonight :(

Reply #595 Posted: July 10, 2012, 07:29:32 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Codex

Are you sure it's coolant and not refrigerant? Check ac run off hose? I thought I had a coolant leak but it was refrigerant from fucked expansion valve o-o although my coolant is the same dark green as refrigerant lol

Reply #596 Posted: July 10, 2012, 07:36:02 pm

Offline Ninja

• Just settled in
Quote from: Greaver;1493472
Serious?

Might have a deeper look in my area

I live in Tauranga and I figured the Polytech would be the only ones with courses, full time 36 hours p/w or part time if you are emplyed at a garage and have done a year full time.

Not ideal lol

yea bro id just ask around at local workshops, see how any apprentices got into it, or if anyone knows of anything around

the one in palmy and fielding is operated by courtesy ford.

Reply #597 Posted: July 10, 2012, 09:13:07 pm
Ninja! We Own The Night!

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Put in one of these:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4756/photozsg.jpg
What did you do to your vehicle today?
Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:25:05 pm by BerG

Reply #598 Posted: July 15, 2012, 03:23:01 pm

Codex

GET TO ZAEH CHOPPA

Reply #599 Posted: July 15, 2012, 03:35:37 pm