Topic: Gareth Morgan and Cats

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Normally I don't care about the News, half of it is crap I don't care about, the other half is crap I have no control over and thus don't care about.

However:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10860618

and

http://garethsworld.com/catstogo/#section-n0

I could write an entire page of derogatory and insulting remarks about this person. But I shall restrain.

I love my cat - woe betide anyone who would take my cat from me.

Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:27:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
This guy is hilarious.

Yes they are nature's adorable little murder machines.
But it's not exactly like they drive over to their mates place and carpool out to the native forests to go on a rampage and then be back in time for morning biscuits.

It's feral cats that one should worry about.
The people who should not replace their pet cat are the ones who shouldn't have a pet cat in the first place. Because they either don't look after it, or didn't want to look after it, or dumped a box of kittens in a rest area on a state highway, or suchlike.
Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:34:39 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #1 Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:29:44 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Hate cats.

Good Guy Gareth.

Reply #2 Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:30:30 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
I have my burlap sacks ready, wheres the nearest river?

Reply #3 Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:35:50 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
bhahahaha, sound argument.
If they are not bringing home native birds it’s because there are none around left to kill.

OR BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN THE AUCKLAND CBD.

Who cleared out the space to live in the middle of a city?
Who burnt away all the natrual habitat for much of the endemic fauna?
Who hunted many of the birds to near or complete extinction?

urhh, why are there no native birds in my city?
BECAUSE THE HUMANS ATE THEM ALL.

Registering and chipping cats is fine. No issue there. But blanket saying "CATS SHOULD BE EXTINCT" is a bit stupid.

Reply #4 Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:39:00 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
I agree with Gareth

I kill cats all the time at my parents place, because they are wild/used to be someones cat. They actually travel from towns in the Wairarapa, across farmland and go live in the Aorangi national park because of the birds.

That and the fact that we work in the same building, I see him everyday and we have chats in the elevator.

Reply #5 Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:51:43 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Lets get rid of all the cats.

If you want a cat, you can have a small dog.

If you still want a cat, you can move to Australia.
Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:54:25 pm by kookynic

Reply #6 Posted: January 22, 2013, 06:57:05 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Western Australia, as of Nov 2013, will have strict laws against owning cats.

Under the Cat Act, cats must be sterilised, microchipped and registered with local government.

Which I think is fucking awesome.

Reply #7 Posted: January 22, 2013, 07:03:27 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
^ Totaly Agree

I love my cats, but people need to control their cats, and not let them have cat babies.

My cat likes to play with rats and eats their heads.

Reply #8 Posted: January 22, 2013, 07:40:56 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1515664
Western Australia, as of Nov 2013, will have strict laws against owning cats.

Which I think is fucking awesome.

that is responsible pet ownership - I 100% support that

Reply #9 Posted: January 22, 2013, 07:44:46 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Around here cats piss all over the sides of the house and shit in the garden. I hiss at them when I see them and try to shoot them with a water gun.

Reply #10 Posted: January 22, 2013, 07:52:28 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: mycoolcar;1515676
Around here I piss all over the sides of the house and shit in the garden. I hiss at them when I see them and try to shoot them with my 'water gun'.

fixed

Reply #11 Posted: January 22, 2013, 07:55:36 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
We had some discourse on this back in August 2012 in the CHCH treehouse

From then:

Quote from: Super_Hori;1499543
At the expense of ruffling the feathers of cat-owners, I would fully support moves to phase-out domestic cat ownership (generationally) in New Zealand.

Kill a cat, save ten birds.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/7470900/Stewart-Island-moggies-may-get-marching-orders

Pretty much this, on a national basis.

There's such lax regulation of domestic cat ownership in this country, but even with microchips and strict management in place by the owners - cats have a natural propensity to prey. I don't know if you can actually mitigate that in an effective way* - apart from removing them entirely.  

From a conservation standpoint, it seems arrogant and bizarre that we would allow the continued breeding and proliferation of one the major threats to our unique native wildlife. Cats serve no industrial purpose, and are unnecessary. Their utility is derived from being a pleasure to own, and a creature comfort. I don't think it's implausible that we could find a suitable replacement.

Current efforts to mute the negative effects of feral cats, stoats, possums are, in part, negated by the continued proliferation of domestic cats - who, due to irresponsible owners, often cause significant damage to endemic fauna. There's not much point in trying to eliminate all the feral cats, when people's negligence means a continued supply of replacement bird-hunters exists.

*By-laws or even legislation could make it mandatory to ensure cats are kept on the property of the owner at all times, but it would require a fair bit of administrative costs + enforcement to be effective. I spose you could try to offset this by having extremely punitive fines.

Reply #12 Posted: January 22, 2013, 08:05:57 pm

Offline GRIM

• Addicted
  • GRIM has no influence.
In Rotorua, theres approximately 60 - 100 cats per square km lol

Reply #13 Posted: January 22, 2013, 09:07:59 pm
Its over rover.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
One cat's heaps.

Reply #14 Posted: January 22, 2013, 09:50:18 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Absolutely with Gareth Morgan.

I think we should take it further.. Treat cats like dogs.. Illegal to let them off your property and if it gets caught roaming the streets it goes to the pound until you pay muchos dinero.

I used to regularly put a .22 slug from an air rifle into any cat I saw on my property, until I was advised that unless I could guarantee a kill it probably wasn't "humane". Still think it should be legal.

Reply #15 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:04:16 pm

Offline Pyromanik

If you did that to a dog the whole country would be calling for your head.

Reply #16 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:07:34 pm

Obble

Quote from: Lias;1515708
Absolutely with Gareth Morgan.

I think we should take it further.. Treat cats like dogs.. Illegal to let them off your property and if it gets caught roaming the streets it goes to the pound until you pay muchos dinero.

I used to regularly put a .22 slug from an air rifle into any cat I saw on my property, until I was advised that unless I could guarantee a kill it probably wasn't "humane". Still think it should be legal.

You used to be a real fucking winner by the sounds of it lias88.

Reply #17 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:22:23 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

Quote from: Pyromanik;1515709
If you did that to a dog the whole country would be calling for your head.

But dogs don't eat native species of NZ like cats do.

Reply #18 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:31:12 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
gareth would do a better job by killing all the pigeons that shit on everything in town to allow other species back into town

also no problems with native birds around my place

Reply #19 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:36:19 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Pyromanik

I think of dogs like career beneficiaries.

They roll around in shit and make a tonne of noise when you don't want them to, eat all your monies, attack your childrens, but then people get all upset when you start shooting them.

Reply #20 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:37:29 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Quote from: kookynic;1515720
But dogs don't eat native species of NZ like cats do.

Ahem, Kiwi's.

Reply #21 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:38:08 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Goats eat our trees, stoats and weasels eat our birds eggs, feral cats eat birds, dogs maul kiwis, possums do all of the above.
Household kitteh eating a few bellbirds isn't really the issue here.

Reply #22 Posted: January 22, 2013, 10:41:10 pm

Offline Munchie

• Devoted Member
  • Munchie has no influence.
My 2 fat snuggle bastard cats are De-sexed, micro-chipped and live indoors. When one sees a fly all it does is make this chatter sound, it can't be bothered trying to get it lol. I think all pets should be registered in some shape or form.

I take them outside on the leash but they don't really care to be out and about.

Reply #23 Posted: January 22, 2013, 11:00:35 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

Quote from: Pitchey;1515726
Ahem, Kiwi's.

I think you will actually find cats go for kiwi's more than dogs do.

Dogs aren't nocturnal

Reply #24 Posted: January 22, 2013, 11:03:18 pm