Topic: VB

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Hey guys - I have a question from my Brother, he is wanting to get some VB macros for Excel to do the following:

Look at a folder structure and output the folders to Excel:

(so look in C:\stuff and output the folder names to Excel) so:

job1
job2
job3 etc

Then Look into each sub folder that is there and determine if there is a particular .pdf

So looking into C:\stuff\Job1\Folder1 and seeing if there is a .pdf file in there - if there is, set the status in Excel to something like 'opened'

Then look into a different sub-sub folder and see if there is a *.doc file in there

So looking into C:\stuff\Job1\Folder2 and seeing if there is a *.doc in there and setting the status in Excel to something like 'tested, awaiting approval'

Then look into another different sub-sub folder and see if there is a *.doc file in there

So looking into C:\stuff\Job1\Folder3 and seeing if there is a *.doc in  there and setting the status in Excel to something like 'Billed'

so it would look like this in Excel:

job1 - Billed
Job2 - opened
job3 - Tested awaiting approval

Anyone here that could be keen to write this? I am sure there could be some form of fee arranged (copping a feel etc.)

Posted: April 19, 2013, 11:55:03 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I stopped reading at VB.

I dislike VB. Both the programming language, and the beer.

Reply #1 Posted: April 19, 2013, 11:57:53 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1523757
I stopped reading at VB.

I dislike VB. Both the programming language, and the beer.

Know ye of another programming language in which the above could be accomplished in Excel?

Reply #2 Posted: April 19, 2013, 12:02:14 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
I sometimes work in VB.

Excel is terrible, and macros are worse.

He should Google how to VB, and then do it. It's very common, especially folder scanning.

I hope this helps.

Reply #3 Posted: April 19, 2013, 02:08:35 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
What version of Excel?

Reply #4 Posted: April 19, 2013, 02:19:43 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1523775
What version of Excel?

He got up to the point where it would look in the directory and output into excel - it was the 'if folder x contains = true then set coloum to status "blah"' that he was stuck on - and not knowing the programming language and syntax

Reply #5 Posted: April 19, 2013, 02:22:51 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Does it have to be in excel? If you are happy to have to output a txt/csv file which you then open, can be done in almost any language. Your description is also majorly unclear, in regards to what sets the text. Are you looking for a specific document in each folder, or is it *.doc in one, then *.pdf in the second etc. I imagine using dir(), and checking for a null would work.
Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:06:46 pm by toofast

Reply #6 Posted: April 19, 2013, 06:04:05 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Thought this thread was about Virtual Bulletin.
Son, I am disappoint.

Reply #7 Posted: April 19, 2013, 08:48:07 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Thought this thread was about demon drinking VB.

Reply #8 Posted: April 20, 2013, 05:25:53 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Don't be silly, no one does that.

Reply #9 Posted: April 20, 2013, 12:31:50 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1523756
Hey guys - I have a question from my Brother, he is wanting to get some VB macros for Excel to do the following:

Look at a folder structure and output the folders to Excel:

(so look in C:\stuff and output the folder names to Excel) so:

job1
job2
job3 etc

Then Look into each sub folder that is there and determine if there is a particular .pdf

So looking into C:\stuff\Job1\Folder1 and seeing if there is a .pdf file in there - if there is, set the status in Excel to something like 'opened'

Then look into a different sub-sub folder and see if there is a *.doc file in there

So looking into C:\stuff\Job1\Folder2 and seeing if there is a *.doc in there and setting the status in Excel to something like 'tested, awaiting approval'

Then look into another different sub-sub folder and see if there is a *.doc file in there

So looking into C:\stuff\Job1\Folder3 and seeing if there is a *.doc in  there and setting the status in Excel to something like 'Billed'

so it would look like this in Excel:

job1 - Billed
Job2 - opened
job3 - Tested awaiting approval

Anyone here that could be keen to write this? I am sure there could be some form of fee arranged (copping a feel etc.)

this is basically what my day job involves doing for people..  can whip something up...

question why 3 subfolders?

why not c:\stuff\Job1\

and three documents with a defined name scheme.  I.e xxx.pdf = opened Billed.doc = billed, T&A.doc - Tested etc?

give me 1 hour to eat my dinner and i will have some code posted...

Reply #10 Posted: April 21, 2013, 06:29:20 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1523756

done

zip attached

Stuff = v1

stuff 2 = v2 (has option on the stuff sheet to change the filenames you are looking for etc....  i could shorten the code down but CBF since it works..  and its robust...  and it's sunday...
Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:08:30 pm by Xsannz

Reply #11 Posted: April 21, 2013, 08:03:36 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Cheers Xsannz - have sent off to my brother to see how it works

Reply #12 Posted: April 22, 2013, 08:28:13 am

Offline Slingshot

• Just settled in
  • Slingshot is looked down upon.
Quote from: Xsannz;1523883
done

zip attached

Stuff = v1

stuff 2 = v2 (has option on the stuff sheet to change the filenames you are looking for etc....  i could shorten the code down but CBF since it works..  and its robust...  and it's sunday...
needs moar tray icon

Reply #13 Posted: April 22, 2013, 12:50:50 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Slingshot;1523923
needs moar tray icon
+1

Reply #14 Posted: April 22, 2013, 01:41:59 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

This code is not sufficiently documented, nor has it gone through the proper QA procedures.

Reply #15 Posted: April 22, 2013, 01:50:34 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1523926
This code is not sufficiently documented, nor has it gone through the proper QA procedures.

so it will actually work properly then and keep me in my job because then only i can debug it...

FFS ...  it was a quick slap up if you want me to go through and comment it all so you can understand it by all means happy to do so..  but i's pretty easy to follow.

Reply #16 Posted: April 22, 2013, 09:33:27 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Xenolightning;1523924
+1

i agree, and it needs a tray notification on hide that says i am still running...

Reply #17 Posted: April 22, 2013, 09:34:06 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Code: [Select]
[COLOR=#008000]'private Global Variables[/COLOR]
Private insetspace As Integer

Private activeSht As Worksheet

[COLOR=#008000]'Display all the files in a folder. Searches all the sub folders.

'Prints Folder Names in Column A and and the file Names in Column B[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008000]'this Sub is called by the button embedded on the the Output worksheet and is also selectable from the Macros menu in Excel.
' If you dont want numpty users calling the modules or subs in the wrong order, change them to functions this allows you to access them through code
'but stops them from appearing in the Macros menu and being executed out of sequence... for an example see below.. this sub appears in the macro section and it calls the function below it which
' doesnt appear in the macros menu.[/COLOR]

Sub SearchME()
    Dim pth As String
    Dim fso As FileSystemObject
    Dim baseFolder As Folder
    insetspace = 2
[COLOR=#008000]    'set the path to be read from the config ""STUFF"" worksheet cell A2[/COLOR]
    pth = Worksheets("Stuff").Range("A2").Value

Set fso = New FileSystemObject

[COLOR=#008000] ''check if the folder actually exists or not[/COLOR]

If (Not (fso.FolderExists(pth))) Then
        'the folder path is invalid. Exiting.
        MsgBox "Invalid Path"
        Exit Sub
    End If

[COLOR=#008000] ' sets the base level to scan from using the the path set earlier[/COLOR]
    Set baseFolder = fso.GetFolder(pth)

[COLOR=#008000]'Select and Change focus to the ""Output"" Worksheet[/COLOR]
    Worksheets("Output").Select
   [COLOR=#008000] ' clear the contents of the sheet[/COLOR]
    Selection.ClearContents
    [COLOR=#008000]' Insert Header Names onto Row 1 Columns[/COLOR]
    Worksheets("Output").Range("A1").Value = "Folder Name"
    Worksheets("Output").Range("B1").Value = "File Name"
    Worksheets("Output").Range("C1").Value = "Found"

[COLOR=#008000] 'if something fucks up exit nicley[/COLOR]
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler
    [COLOR=#008000]'dont update the screen and freak out the fucking user and cause epiliptic seizures from flashing[/COLOR]
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    [COLOR=#008000]'tell excel to only calculate manually so that if it pulls a massive dataset it doesnt trip over it's own shoes run out of memory and crash like all Microsoft office apps.[/COLOR]
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
  [COLOR=#008000]  'call the function that actually does the work and pass it the basefolder variable to scan[/COLOR]
    RFileNames baseFolder

[COLOR=#008000]'this it where we go when something fucks up royally - generally caused by some BS undocumented Microsoft bug /Ahem Feature....[/COLOR]
ErrHandler:
   [COLOR=#008000] 'let the screen update so the user can see the big fucking fireball crash thats about to happen with the pretty error messages[/COLOR]
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
  [COLOR=#008000]  'and set excel to turn calculation back on automatically otherwise the user will complain that his formulas are not working...[/COLOR].
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

End Sub

[COLOR=#008000]' I use a function so some numpty cant see the code in the MACRO list and accidently call it out of sequence.[/COLOR]

Function RFileNames(baseFolder As Folder)
[COLOR=#008000]    'make silly declarations based on their type[/COLOR]
    Dim folder_ As Folder
    Dim file_ As File

[COLOR=#008000]    'Now we loop through the folders and subfolders[/COLOR]
    For Each folder_ In baseFolder.SubFolders
        [COLOR=#008000]'call recursive function.[/COLOR]
        RFileNames folder_
  [COLOR=#008000]  'and we go again .. .. next folder[/COLOR]
    Next folder_

[COLOR=#008000] 'now lets loop through each file we find in each folder and check if it meets our criteria....  YOU COULD USE A CASE SELECT HERE.. but i am lazy and this is small enough for this.[/COLOR]
    For Each file_ In baseFolder.Files
        [COLOR=#008000]' check if the file we found is called one of the names from the ""STUFF WORKSHEET CONFIG CELLS" A5, A8, or A11[/COLOR]
        If file_.Name = Worksheets("Stuff").Range("A5").Value Then
            Worksheets("Output").Range("A" & insetspace).Value = baseFolder.Path
            Worksheets("Output").Range("B" & insetspace).Value = file_.Name
            Worksheets("Output").Range("C" & insetspace).Value = "FOUND"
        ElseIf file_.Name = Worksheets("Stuff").Range("A8").Value Then
        ElseIf file_.Name = Worksheets("Stuff").Range("A11").Value Then
        Else
         [COLOR=#008000]  'do nothing if it's not one of the above[/COLOR]
        End If
        [COLOR=#008000]' increment the row number by two so we get a space between each output.[/COLOR]
        insetspace = insetspace + 2
   [COLOR=#008000] ' and we go again.. .. next file[/COLOR]
    Next file_
[COLOR=#008000]'time to exit this function ...[/COLOR]
End Function

THERE YOU GO... ALL COMMENTED FOR YOU..... sometimes i wish i coudl put those comments in production code.
Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:56:16 pm by Xsannz

Reply #18 Posted: April 22, 2013, 09:52:09 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
You can in game dev :P

Reply #19 Posted: April 22, 2013, 11:37:41 pm

Swearing in comments is not enough. You have to put it in your code.

Dim bullshitPath As String
Dim motherFuckingBaseFolder As Folder

Reply #20 Posted: April 23, 2013, 07:59:27 am

Offline Xenolightning

^I agree with the monkey.

Or be a real cock, and name your variables with incrementing numbers, such as v1, v2, v3, v4.

Then you get crap like, makes for much increased readability.
Code: [Select]
var v5 = v1 + v2.substring(0, v3) + " would " + v3 + " that skank unil " + v4;

Reply #21 Posted: April 23, 2013, 08:31:32 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Pyromanik

sprintf("%s %s %s %s %s",s1,s2,s3,s4,s5);

Reply #22 Posted: April 23, 2013, 05:37:58 pm