Topic: America's Cup

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: Hmmmgood;1531877
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/9186542/Laser-guided-smart-bomb-crushes-small-boat

The yanks have even been practicing.

Watch out TNZ!

Jesus H ! Stephen Fleming has put on a few pounds.

Reply #100 Posted: September 19, 2013, 10:43:18 pm

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
So it all comes down to one race...

Reply #101 Posted: September 26, 2013, 07:27:26 am
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
In B4 the Court Case and bad loosing NZers

Reply #102 Posted: September 26, 2013, 08:41:42 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Both teams sailed really well.

It was super-awesome exciting to watch.

Ah well.

Reply #103 Posted: September 26, 2013, 08:50:42 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
The boys did so well, hope stupid people arn't mean to Team NZ.

Couldn't have done any more than they did with the inferior resources they had.

Reply #104 Posted: September 26, 2013, 09:21:37 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Great racing though, I think this will really boost the popularity of the sport.

Hell, I never used to watch it.

Interestingly, I've been keeping an eye on the San Francisco news websites over the past 3 weeks and they've been largely ignoring the race while they were losing.

Now, its front page news.

Reply #105 Posted: September 26, 2013, 09:25:33 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I think it's a little sad that Oracle was an automated boat and that's what it took to beat us. Soon we will see an F1 driver with no steering wheel or pedals, just sitting in the car sipping tea as the car drives itself.

I would like to see an americas cup where every boat is identical in every way. Where everything is manual, the only thing that comes into it is pure skills and sail choices on the day, all sails regulated too.

The last half of the AC races was like godzilla at bathurst, it just wasn't a competition.

Reply #106 Posted: September 26, 2013, 10:09:29 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1531941
I would like to see an americas cup where every boat is identical in every way. Where everything is manual, the only thing that comes into it is pure skills and sail choices on the day, all sails regulated too.

That is where they have gone with the Volvo Ocean Race. Everyone who competes in that will sail the same design of boat from the same builder etc. Kind of sad it knocks out the competition between designers but for cost and safety reasons it is good.
I would not really be surprised to see a new match racing regatta emerge like the Luis Vuitton Pacific series for teams who won't be able to afford $200Million+ to compete against Oracle.

Reply #107 Posted: September 26, 2013, 03:26:53 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I think it's a little sad that Oracle was an automated boat and that's what it took to beat us. Soon we will see an F1 driver with no steering wheel or pedals, just sitting in the car sipping tea as the car drives itself.

The last half of the AC races was like godzilla at bathurst, it just wasn't a competition.

Didn't this sort of happen in F1 with the Williams team having hardout pc controlled braking/stability control? I think it did, but I don't know how to google to find it out.

The world series regatta was supposed to have everyone in the same boats, but you know cheating and shit.

Reply #108 Posted: September 26, 2013, 05:11:48 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: mycoolcar;1531984
Didn't this sort of happen in F1 with the Williams team having hardout pc controlled braking/stability control? I think it did, but I don't know how to google to find it out.

Yeah they did, 1992's car had active suspension, computer software controlling the suspension to keep the ride height consistent through cornering and deceleration, to retain downforce levels. It wasn't cheating as such, there was nothing in the rules preventing it, but it got banned soon after as the cornering speeds were getting unsafe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_FW14
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/05/17/banned-active-suspension/

Reply #109 Posted: September 26, 2013, 05:20:51 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I am still super proud of what Team NZ did. They did well. AAAAA++++ would boat again.

Reply #110 Posted: September 26, 2013, 05:50:37 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

No technology is what separates sport from athletics.

Reply #111 Posted: September 26, 2013, 06:26:48 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
LOL.

Reply #112 Posted: September 26, 2013, 06:30:36 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.

Reply #113 Posted: September 27, 2013, 08:46:19 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Ok, so are we supposed to be seeing an elephant?

Because I don't mind either way, it's a cool looking elephant.

Reply #114 Posted: September 27, 2013, 09:26:23 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.

It's not like what they did was incredibly expensive or complex, we just didn't think about it. The America's Cup has always been about technology as much as seamanship, and we just didn't go far enough this time.

The first half of the races were also like godzilla at bathurst.

Reply #115 Posted: September 27, 2013, 10:45:36 am
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
That's because america couldn't sail their boat, they Physically could not foil. I wasn't until they got the $20mill SAS system installed that they could foil up and foil corner down.

Do you know the rules were changed just before the regatta started so that USA could keep up? NZ made the boat fly when people said it would be too hard, OTUSA couldn't, so they changed the rules to suit them.

When the defender can change the rules AFTER the boats are made and sailing to suit them because they cant keep up & can afford to replace half their boat, then yes it is expensive and a sham.

SAUCE:  http://www.worldregattas.com/ViewInfo.php?ContentID=547

Reply #116 Posted: September 27, 2013, 01:34:08 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
TNZ sailed rubbish.

They'd should have sewn the thing up with races to spare, and then boatspeed wouldn't have been an issue.

How many in race penalties did TNZ get? Five.

How many in race penalties did Oracle get? Zero.

How many starts did we win? Seven.

How many did Oracle win? Eleven.

Who had the better tactician? Oracle no doubt.

Who had the better skipper? ^^^

Money had nothing to do with that stuff.

Reply #117 Posted: September 27, 2013, 04:16:01 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
No, you're right. Money had nothing to do with spending 50mil in 7 days when it came to testing the boat with Navy equipment.

Reply #118 Posted: September 27, 2013, 04:23:28 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Quote from: Zarkov;1532046
TNZ sailed rubbish.

They'd should have sewn the thing up with races to spare, and then boatspeed wouldn't have been an issue.

How many in race penalties did TNZ get? Five.

How many in race penalties did Oracle get? Zero.

How many starts did we win? Seven.

How many did Oracle win? Eleven.

Who had the better tactician? Oracle no doubt.

Money had nothing to do with that stuff.

Despite all of that, we were winning easily until Oracle threw more money at it.

ETNZ won the start and raced perfectly in the last two races, they were simply slower.
Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:36:32 pm by BerG

Reply #119 Posted: September 27, 2013, 05:32:21 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: Zarkov;1532046

Listened to Brad Butterworth this morning on the radio and he disagrees with you completely. Doesn't mean he is right,but he's probably right.

Edit: Our next boat is going to be MEGA!
Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:44:46 pm by kilabee

Reply #120 Posted: September 27, 2013, 05:39:59 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

All I know is, I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms now that its over.

I want to come home every day of the year and watch ETNZ racing someone.

Reply #121 Posted: September 27, 2013, 05:45:16 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1532047
No, you're right. Money had nothing to do with spending 50mil in 7 days when it came to testing the boat with Navy equipment.

From a technical point do you even know what 50 million bought them?

Reply #122 Posted: September 27, 2013, 06:00:47 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Growler

new set of foils and SAS installation + people

Reply #123 Posted: September 27, 2013, 06:23:06 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
And a Navy flow tank.

Also, this Mega funding business is rubbish. Kim doesn't have anywhere near enough clashflow to prop up a new race. Yeah, he'd chip in a few million maybe but I can't imagine seeing any funds being thrown in from the government at the same time a yet to be trialed 'criminal' would be helping out. Kim will more than likely be gone by the time a new regatta rolls around anyway.
Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:27:44 pm by Retardobot

Reply #124 Posted: September 27, 2013, 06:24:15 pm