Topic: Monitor upgrade

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
I've been thinking about upgrading my monitor for a while, I currently have a Samsung SyncMaster P2350 and it's not too bad but it annoys me that the viewing angle is not great. It also has those shitty touch sensitive buttons.
 Mightyape has a sale on their ASUS monitors today:
http://www.mightyape.co.nz/daily-deals/slot/15350

I have $40 in account credit there so it would be handy to use that up, but I'd shop somewhere else.
I got a budget of $400 I might push it a bit further if the quality was significantly better, and on the other hand if one of the 200-300 monitors does a good job having some money left over would be good too.

Mainly used for gaming and watching stuff, I could fit a 27" screen on my desk but as I sit about 70cm-1m away from my current monitor so they may be too big?, but would be great for watching stuff from the couch about 5m away.

Opinions?

I don't know too much about monitors so I'm here asking advice.

Posted: February 26, 2014, 12:47:50 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
I'm a bit out of the monitor race, as I purely roll over to the Korean dudes and grab whichever floats my boat on 2560x1440monitor.com. I'm currently rocking a QNIX, and will be grabbing another one once I get the cash together for it.

Reply #1 Posted: February 26, 2014, 01:05:19 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
I had a look at those on that site Arseynimz but at $330US I'd be looking at $108 of duty tax to pay on one if I imported it. watched this review ww.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtR8UFU-b9k and they do look quite good.

Reply #2 Posted: February 26, 2014, 01:44:04 pm

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
If i had the money I'd be getting at least 27" @ 2560x1440.

Fuck 1080p.

Reply #3 Posted: February 26, 2014, 03:57:09 pm
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #4 Posted: February 26, 2014, 04:45:05 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #5 Posted: February 26, 2014, 04:46:33 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
On each of those listings it states import duties and taxes are not included, putting each amount in the NZ customs calculator http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/ would add a little over $100 on to it. I have been stung in the past buying items from America over the duty threshold so I'd be more keen to buy from New Zealand.

Reply #6 Posted: February 26, 2014, 05:45:26 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Mainly used for gaming and watching stuff, I could fit a 27" screen on my desk but as I sit about 70cm-1m away from my current monitor so they may be too big?, but would be great for watching stuff from the couch about 5m away.

In the same boat here. Got 2 24" and a 22" and thinking of moving to 27" for my main one. But not sure if it will be oversized for how close i sit.

Reply #7 Posted: February 26, 2014, 05:49:14 pm

Offline Growler

There should be no import and duty on anything under $400. And yes that calculator confirms it (put in $320 USD with $0 shipping)

If you want some definitive answer I will ask my Bro in law for you who is a customs agent, hell he can tell us the best way to have it shipped.

$320 US is around the magic number, a little higher due to the exchange rate being .83 atm

Reply #8 Posted: February 26, 2014, 07:43:13 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
Often the ebay sellers for those Korean monitors will give a false declaration on the value for customs from what I've read elsewhere, i'll try and find a quote for that.

Reply #9 Posted: February 26, 2014, 09:08:21 pm