Topic: Printing advice

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Hey guys,

Our class have to present a poster in the next few days for our final year projects.

Mine is 594mmx841mm, res is 7016x9933 (300dpi)

I'm getting mine printed tomorrow morning (I'll pop it up for C&C here when it's nearly done).

One of my class mates has been told the file has to be PDF and less than 10MB, is this even possible? is it possible while maintaining even a shread of quality?

How else might I package this thing up to make it smexy?

Posted: October 06, 2014, 04:12:28 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
it is possible, all depends on what the artwork is.

Should have asked me mate I would look after you.

Reply #1 Posted: October 06, 2014, 09:21:41 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

WIP

Reply #2 Posted: October 06, 2014, 10:07:13 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Have you done this in Illustrator or other?

Reply #3 Posted: October 07, 2014, 08:17:54 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Have you done this in Illustrator or other?

Photoshop

Reply #4 Posted: October 07, 2014, 10:24:26 am

Offline Growler

That's going to bump the size of it up a fair bit.

Have you tried saving it as a PDF from photoshop, dont rasterise the text!

Reply #5 Posted: October 07, 2014, 11:19:53 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Good luck getting that in under 10MB after creating it in Photoshop.

Host the PSD file somewhere, PM me the download link and I'll drop it into inDesign and then spit out a PDF for you.

Reply #6 Posted: October 07, 2014, 05:48:39 pm

Offline Growler

That's a fairly stunning offer.

PS + text = sin.

PS for graphics + indesign/illustrator/freehand = win.

When do you have to have it printed by and how much are you paying?

Reply #7 Posted: October 07, 2014, 07:02:35 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Thanks for the offer guys.

The printers at uni started blocking up at 3:30 on Monday apparently.

We finished yesterday at about 2pm heh. Being a resourceful cunt I had a trump card.

Shot in to CPIT with my brother and printed it off there, it's holidays, so no queue. saved a couple a bucks too!

I'll post my final submission soon. They go on display at Uni on Thursday at 4pm.

Reply #8 Posted: October 08, 2014, 10:01:11 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Thanks for the offer guys.

The printers at uni started blocking up at 3:30 on Monday apparently.

We finished yesterday at about 2pm heh. Being a resourceful cunt I had a trump card.

Shot in to CPIT with my brother and printed it off there, it's holidays, so no queue. saved a couple a bucks too!

I'll post my final submission soon. They go on display at Uni on Thursday at 4pm.

If you ever need to do that again, let me know.. I work at CPIT so have unlimited print credit :-)

Reply #9 Posted: October 09, 2014, 08:13:06 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Does CPIT allow you to spend print credit at their local printery? On large colour prints?

That seems odd.

Reply #10 Posted: October 09, 2014, 09:44:45 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Does CPIT allow you to spend print credit at their local printery? On large colour prints?

That seems odd.

CPIT have an internal printery, no idea if students can send stuff to them or not, but there are a buttload of A3 colour laser MFP's around the campus, all of which are fairly shiny and new because the printing contract changed providers recently. Obviously not quite full print grade, but sufficient for things like this I'd imagine.

Reply #11 Posted: October 10, 2014, 08:24:11 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

That seems odd.

CPIT have an internal printery, no idea if students can send stuff to them or not, but there are a buttload of A3 colour laser MFP's around the campus, all of which are fairly shiny and new because the printing contract changed providers recently. Obviously not quite full print grade, but sufficient for things like this I'd imagine.

The size that Bounty posted was A2. You're not going to get that for free off any lab connected printer.

If you go to the internal printery, you'll more than likely be charged like any other joe bloggs as they'll be operating as a commercial outfit regardless of staff/student status.

Reply #12 Posted: October 10, 2014, 10:20:19 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
The size that Bounty posted was A2. You're not going to get that for free off any lab connected printer.

If you go to the internal printery, you'll more than likely be charged like any other joe bloggs as they'll be operating as a commercial outfit regardless of staff/student status.

Well he said he printed it at CPIT in the end, so maybe we have an A2 printer around I don't know about.

Reply #13 Posted: October 10, 2014, 10:24:42 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Yeah, he would have gone to the internal printery and had it printed on wideformat.

Reply #14 Posted: October 10, 2014, 12:58:31 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Yeah, he would have gone to the internal printery and had it printed on wideformat.

Nah, the printery is a restricted access area, you can't just pop in.

I'll get motivated and go ask one ofthe printer folks if we have cool toys.

Reply #15 Posted: October 10, 2014, 03:12:47 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Yeah Printery can only do A3, but apparently we have some sort of huge thing for doing engineer plans over in the engineering department which can do massive things.

Reply #16 Posted: October 10, 2014, 03:17:08 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

WTF.

They have either a flatbed or a wideformat that comes off a role and they have it in the engineering unit?

Fucking lol.

I'm guessing the printery is pretty small if they don't open up to the public and students.

Reply #17 Posted: October 10, 2014, 03:21:13 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
They have either a flatbed or a wideformat that comes off a role and they have it in the engineering unit?

Honestly you think that's bad, at several places I can name *cough* universities *cough* each department/school often has it's own IT department because they are that precious about things. Like a friend of mine is an IT technician for a particular department at Waikato University.

Reply #18 Posted: October 11, 2014, 05:10:34 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Yeah, I know that feel. Some departments here have their own designers.

It's stupid and ego driven.

Reply #19 Posted: October 11, 2014, 06:47:48 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
3rd time lucky.

Here's the final poster, half res saved in jpg for your viewing pleasure.

Also here's a picture of Dave (right) and a man named Stu (not right - ha) at the poster event.

The architecture students at CPIT apparently have access to an A0/1 printer that costs like $12 or $20 or something. It's super speedy and I was happy with all the colours except the green which is probably my fault, I wanted more saturation, more kermit the frog in direct sunlight colour, but oh well.

Reply #20 Posted: October 25, 2014, 01:30:18 pm