Topic: Rasberry PI - Best invention since sliced bread.

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
  • CSfaith has no influence.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

My work mates one arrives on Monday. These lil bad boys can run Quake 3 and a shitload more. Perfect for linux users as well. Also the jawdropping price of only $50.00 NZ (what he paid anyway)

Thoughts gogo

Posted: May 26, 2012, 04:19:21 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Looks pretty cool tbh,how does one get hold of it in nz?

Reply #1 Posted: May 26, 2012, 05:01:29 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Awesome.

Will be picking one up when they are cased.

Reply #2 Posted: May 26, 2012, 05:06:30 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Hmmmgood;1487306
Looks pretty cool tbh,how does one get hold of it in nz?

You gotta sign up to a waiting list on element 7 or rs components.

I can't wait to get mine. Placed the order a few weeks ago.

Reply #3 Posted: May 26, 2012, 05:30:50 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: toofast;1487309
element 14

brothers mate in the Uk has one already - we are going to order a couple for work

Reply #4 Posted: May 26, 2012, 06:12:47 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
Work mates one arrives on Monday. Lucky sodd, wish I ordered when he did.

Reply #5 Posted: May 26, 2012, 06:29:27 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Can you let us know how it runs? I am well curious about this to see if it is as good as they say it will be

Reply #6 Posted: May 28, 2012, 08:47:31 am

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Got an email about the ordering stuff today.

Reply #7 Posted: June 18, 2012, 02:19:01 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline LeadCollector

• Game Server Admin
  • LeadCollector has no influence.
I will be invited to order on the 25th :)

Reply #8 Posted: June 18, 2012, 03:38:51 pm

Quote from: Spork;1411842
Your face won\'t make top four!

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Unfortunately there's like 3 months lead time :/

Reply #9 Posted: June 18, 2012, 04:36:56 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I'll wait, and see what people manage to do with it.

Reply #10 Posted: June 18, 2012, 06:55:54 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
So so interested. But don't really have a need for one :/
Though it would be nice to have a GNU machine again.

Reply #11 Posted: June 18, 2012, 09:05:03 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1490510
GNU machine
TERRIBLE, out with you!

Reply #12 Posted: June 18, 2012, 09:21:27 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
The pun? :P

You LOVED it.

Reply #13 Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:25:42 pm

Offline Pyromanik

The pun? :P

You LOVED it.

Also, GNU (or at least GNU+Linux, as my post originally said) because otherwise Stallman will cut off my hands with katanas.

(yeah it's old, but fuck you it's good!)

Reply #14 Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:29:57 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
So mine arrived today. Excited to get it going, except i failed to read the power supply requirements and it requires 700mA and all i have is a bunch of 500mA cellphone chargers. Atleast this gives me a reason to buy a 1A charger, since my phone uses that current to charge and i have been charging it on a 500mA one.

Reply #15 Posted: June 23, 2012, 11:03:22 am

Offline mattnz

Could you not just charge it from a powered USB slot in the meantime?

Reply #16 Posted: June 23, 2012, 12:15:14 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
Like like matt said buy a powered USB wall charger, ones designed for newer phones or tablets will probably pump out 1A and may come in handy in the future.

Reply #17 Posted: June 23, 2012, 11:15:56 pm

Codex

i'd love to know what you're all using yours for xD

Reply #18 Posted: June 24, 2012, 12:52:48 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Not sure what you guys meant. I thought my post implied i was  going to buy a 1A wall charger. Anyway i did that, and got it powered up. It runs reasonably smoothly. Got up to trying to get samba to work on it, to network my windows drives in. Will probably have a go at playing some hd content as well, to see how well it does the job of a htpc.

Reply #19 Posted: June 24, 2012, 09:47:04 am

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
Lol my work mates one is epic. He is going to get up to all sorts of stuff with his one hehe. Cranks out Quake 3 like a boss as well !

Reply #20 Posted: June 24, 2012, 10:47:28 am

Offline mattnz

Quote from: toofast;1491219
Not sure what you guys meant. I thought my post implied i was  going to buy a 1A wall charger. Anyway i did that, and got it powered up. It runs reasonably smoothly. Got up to trying to get samba to work on it, to network my windows drives in. Will probably have a go at playing some hd content as well, to see how well it does the job of a htpc.

Well I meant running it from another computer's USB slot. Hopefully it works off my TV's.

Reply #21 Posted: June 24, 2012, 10:54:54 am

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
And yes Matt, you can run it off USB power :D

Reply #22 Posted: June 24, 2012, 01:41:15 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: mattnz;1491225
Well I meant running it from another computer's USB slot. Hopefully it works off my TV's.

It says on their site not to try power it off computer usb ports/usb hubs. But that may be just because usb ports don't all do the same current. If your TV is anything like mine, i can't imagine it working just because most TVs can't power harddrives, which i imagine have similar power demands.

Reply #23 Posted: June 24, 2012, 02:48:14 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Raspberry Pi: Microchip PC. They are very, um, 'interesting': As powerful as the Original Xbox (but with better graphical capabilities) and run on a version of Debian.

They cost $25 USD or $35 USD and take any sized SD card as a Hard Drive.

This roughly equates to $50 NZD for the $35 USD version.

Does anyone own one?

Reply #24 Posted: July 01, 2012, 08:01:42 am
I am now banned from GetSome