Topic: Advice re CPU and MB

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Hi guys, a good friend wants to upgrade his machine. He needs a good CPU and MB combo, and perhaps faster RAM, what would you advise.
He doesn't play games but uses video and photoshop handling very large files. Money is not too important.
Cheers...

Posted: May 20, 2013, 11:14:23 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=19365

A combo like that would really bring him up to date. Ton of CPU processing power with some nice fast RAM and plenty of it.

Reply #1 Posted: May 20, 2013, 12:06:13 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Ah yes that's the stuff, though he doesn't need the case or power supply. The main reason he's upgrading is because his machine refuses to start randomly, he's had it to Playtech and they say there's nothing wrong with it. I reinstalled win7 for him after Playtech mucked that up but it still plays up again when starting.

Reply #2 Posted: May 20, 2013, 01:01:59 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Can he wait approx 6weeks? Haswell release be coming up.....

Assume he will just be running everything as stock?

Reply #3 Posted: May 20, 2013, 03:03:11 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Don't think he can wait that long, it's driving him crazy.

Reply #4 Posted: May 20, 2013, 03:09:49 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Fair enough, I realise Playtech may not be in the good books currently but they have better pricing on hardware (mobos). Sandy Extreme as noted by swindle really isn't needed... considering the 3820 vs 3770 are evenish, And your associate won't require quad channel ram etc etc of sandy e.
Normally I would say get the 3770k + a cpu cooler of sorts but is it really needed/will he overclock? He could also treat himself to a mini itx build? Only need to change mobo & get a case.

#Everything looks expensive to me until i realise AUD vs NZ $$ :)

Reply #5 Posted: May 20, 2013, 05:52:56 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I disagree with ya Mayhem.

Primary use of the machine is Photoshop with very large files. RAM is god here. Sandy-E/Socket 2011 is the way to go, because that way he can have 64gb of RAM.

i7 3820 (Cheapest 2011 i7)
Asus P9X79 (cheapest 2011 mobo with a minimum 3 year warranty)
64gb (8x8) Kingston Value Ram (reasonably cheap, lifetime warranty, overclocking is not an issue here)

Also Bill, if he's not using an SSD and a decent Photoshop supported GPU, slap him upside the head and make him buy those as well.

Reply #6 Posted: May 20, 2013, 06:39:43 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Thanks guys I shall pass all this on, no he won't be overclocking and quietness isn't too important, he's older than I am...

I wish it was for me! :)

Reply #7 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:20:11 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
64GB RAM is ridiculous, 24-32GB will suffice for anything not running Crysis.

Sandy-E, sure why not.

SSD a must have, RAID 0 those bitches if you can too

Reply #8 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:40:30 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1525607

Depends on if Bill meant _large_ when he said large.. I know people that edit 20gb files in photoshop.

I guess he could go with 4x8 now and upgrade later if needed.

Reply #9 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:55:06 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
If more ram is needed then bump up to 32gb. Sandy E is a waste if you only run a 3820 cpu.

+11 to the SSD & GPU goodness

Reply #10 Posted: May 20, 2013, 07:55:23 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Mayhem_Lee is spot on,you really need a hex core to benefit from 2011.

Depending on how big the dudes files are the money would be better spent on 1155 + ssd/gpu.

Reply #11 Posted: May 20, 2013, 08:24:53 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
I favour 2011 for the ability to go to 64gb of ram, but hey lets get the guy to buy a hex core 2011 :-) It's not our money i spose :-)

Reply #12 Posted: May 20, 2013, 08:27:04 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
Quote from: Lias;1525613
I favour 2011 for the ability to go to 64gb of ram, but hey lets get the guy to buy a hex core 2011 :-) It's not our money i spose :-)

Trims the beard, buys flashy clothes.... Now advising on excessive pc hardware! What happened to the noobtube/CG troll Lisa we all grew to love?

Reply #13 Posted: May 20, 2013, 08:29:59 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
Quote from: Xenolightning;1525607

Sandy-E, sure why not.

SSD a must have, RAID 0 those bitches if you can too

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

Would be cheaper to buy one larger drive than two and spend extra money on the GPU if he doesn't have one

Reply #14 Posted: May 21, 2013, 05:12:32 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1525633
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

Would be cheaper to buy one larger drive than two and spend extra money on the GPU if he doesn't have one

This, photoshop uses the GPU as well these days.

Reply #15 Posted: May 22, 2013, 01:47:22 am

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
He's gone for much of what you reccomended Mahem, I suggested he send his case PSU and GPU to Computer Lounge to install the new stuff including an ssd drive and test it and install win7 and ship it back.

Reply #16 Posted: May 23, 2013, 08:12:16 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
Quote from: bigROBOTbill;1525740
He's gone for much of what you reccomended Mahem, I suggested he send his case PSU and GPU to Computer Lounge to install the new stuff including an ssd drive and test it and install win7 and ship it back.

No worries, Let us know how he gets on with it all.

Reply #17 Posted: May 24, 2013, 02:56:30 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Update so far, I convinced him to send his case/GPU/PSU to Computer Lounge and get them to install all the new toys and win7 64 and an SSD and make it all go well. He's 72 and just wants it to humm.  :)

Reply #18 Posted: May 30, 2013, 08:31:33 pm

RCranesNZ

I got the peripherals from here: http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/computer-hardware/. Always follow Reviews and Ratings for best buy.
Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:37:56 pm by RCranesNZ

Reply #19 Posted: June 12, 2013, 07:31:33 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
Quote from: bigROBOTbill;1526122
Update so far, I convinced him to send his case/GPU/PSU to Computer Lounge and get them to install all the new toys and win7 64 and an SSD and make it all go well. He's 72 and just wants it to humm.  :)

So any update for us on how he finds the system? Assuming it made it out of CL in one piece

Reply #20 Posted: July 10, 2013, 12:49:15 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Yep it all came back and he's pretty happy, other than having to install everything of course. Says it does open programs real fast though. He got all his pld [parts back which he thought were causing all sorts of problems. I have installed his slightly better old MB into my machine, as well as his 550Ti and they have been running real well for me ever since. I'm now trying to sell my MB, CPU (q6600) 8GB of ram and a pair of matching GTX 460's if anyone is keen. $600 the lot freight free...

Reply #21 Posted: July 10, 2013, 01:54:12 pm