Topic: Amd duh duh duh Fury Flop

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Hype monster bites again.

although perhaps a few driver versions may boost it to ti perf..

and in nz its priced same as TI

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-tested-not-quite-a-980-ti-killer/

doesn't beat a 980TI

Posted: June 25, 2015, 07:07:21 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
It's been updated with a mea culpa that it performs on par with a stock 980ti, not the OC edition they were using :-)

Ars has a pretty good article over here : http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06/amd-fury-x-reviews-show-strong-4k-performance-but-doesnt-beat-980-ti-overall/

Basically they are saying it's not an NVIDIA slayer, but it is a huge leap for AMD, they've never before been able to go toe to toe with NVIDIA's top performance cards. AMD has always been about bang for your buck, but now it's fighting for the performance crown too, which is kind of cool.

Reply #1 Posted: June 25, 2015, 07:33:47 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
It's been updated with a mea culpa that it performs on par with a stock 980ti, not the OC edition they were using :-)

Ars has a pretty good article over here : http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06/amd-fury-x-reviews-show-strong-4k-performance-but-doesnt-beat-980-ti-overall/

Basically they are saying it's not an NVIDIA slayer, but it is a huge leap for AMD, they've never before been able to go toe to toe with NVIDIA's top performance cards. AMD has always been about bang for your buck, but now it's fighting for the performance crown too, which is kind of cool.

Fuck off...  Amd is coming in at the same price point  and in other articles its clsoe but doesnt beat a 980ti stock edition.. and yes perhaps in the next 6 months amd will gain 20% in drivers but by then the next gen HBM2.0 or next gen Nvidia will hit testers...

given that the NZ dollar just shit itself these card are going to be same price as a TI not worth it also the following points

Fury x  - no overlcocking potential or very very little as noted by all.

144hz and 120hz users have issues because amd has gone all DP with no Dual link dvi ports and DP to Dlink dvi adaptors are shite and dont work well

4k users are limited to dp because again amd didnt support HDMI 2.0.

also non oem cards are not likely as amd want to keep it in house at this stage.

$ for $  a 970 - 970 sli  or a single 980ti  with room to OC would be the best bet.

I dont argue that the tech is amazing it just didnt live up to hype.

Reply #2 Posted: June 25, 2015, 07:51:26 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I agree I'd choose the NVIDIA at that price point, but AMD has never had a card before that's even close to being the same power as an NVIDIA flagship. EVER.. The fact they now have one even if less than perfect is still a win for AMD.

Reply #3 Posted: June 25, 2015, 08:00:26 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
I agree I'd choose the NVIDIA at that price point, but AMD has never had a card before that's even close to being the same power as an NVIDIA flagship. EVER.. The fact they now have one even if less than perfect is still a win for AMD.

only because they shut nvidia out of HBM 1 / 1.5 as they co developed it.

but Nvidia have confirmed HBM2.o will be used in the next 2 gens... then Nvidia will crown again, not that i want it to happen as competition drives prices down for us.. but the truth is Nvidia didn't even need to change architecture to still sit up high..

TBH honestly i hope AMD get the upper hand with this new tech buy doing dev time now before nvidia get into the same hbm space otherwise it will just be all the same same again.

Reply #4 Posted: June 25, 2015, 08:08:54 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
...is still a win for AMD.
It's a win for Us.

I tend to agree with Lias on all points.

Won't be buying a FuryX, pretty seriously looking at replacing 2x570 with a 980Ti, but the card still hold great merit.

Reply #5 Posted: June 25, 2015, 08:10:31 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Xeno if you have 2.. TBH for price 2 x 970 > than TI and cheaper..

i just wanted one single card

i see his points and wish AMD the best but if they rest now without putting future dev into this hbm ahead of nvidia opening the door.. then they will end up in same boat as always  waving at nvidia in the distance.

But amd have cut the budget user nose to spite their face a little with the connectivity options here, budget users dont use DP generally speaking and 120 - 144hz users mainly use dual link dvi  and 4k users use hdmi 2.0  so nvidia at least thought about that with the flagship

TBH HBM SOC chips will be AMD win for htpc.. the gfx and compute power of an HBM gpu/cpu SOC is what i am excited about

Reply #6 Posted: June 25, 2015, 08:13:05 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Eh, I've had SLi cards for.... 6/7 years. I don't actually run SLi because it won't support three monitors on my system.

Not to mention some games just don't do SLi well.

It's just a pain. Single card seems like such a nicer option.

Reply #7 Posted: June 25, 2015, 08:49:42 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Eh, I've had SLi cards for.... 6/7 years. I don't actually run SLi because it won't support three monitors on my system.

Not to mention some games just don't do SLi well.

It's just a pain. Single card seems like such a nicer option.

fair enough then 980ti SC evga is the same price as a stock 980ti  and the ACX models are not much more if you want to really push the oc

Reply #8 Posted: June 25, 2015, 08:59:02 am

Offline Xenolightning

The G1 Gaming would be ideal if it weren't 11.6" long. My case JUST fits a 10.6" card.

HMMMMMMM, more thinking is needed.

Reply #9 Posted: June 25, 2015, 10:58:55 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
LOL AMD

Reply #10 Posted: June 25, 2015, 03:01:01 pm

Offline Xenolightning

LOL AMD
I'm not on board with this?

Why is it LOL?

A card that performs close to that of the 980Ti.

Yes, it's more expensive.
Yes, it doesn't live up to AMD's claims.

But the card itself is as close as AMD has come to de-throning nVidia in a long time.

Is it only I who thinks the existence of the card is a good thing?
Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:01:50 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #11 Posted: June 25, 2015, 03:37:25 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Is it only I who thinks the existence of the card is a good thing?

Not just you.

Reply #12 Posted: June 25, 2015, 03:52:20 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Competition is gooooooood. I am on Xenos side. All I see here is Green hating on Red.

If it wasn't for AMD, DX12 would not be as awesome as it is going to be.

Reply #13 Posted: June 25, 2015, 03:58:03 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Wasn't hating its a good thing hbm pushes tech and boundaries.

But its the hype that and spun that is being hated on ... They talk it up and fail every time.

Rather just say yes its going to take on the to and we will se 20% increase within months of launch and everybody would be crowing how good the card is and what competition this brings instead of saying ha ha ha you failed all the expectations you were drumming up

Reply #14 Posted: June 25, 2015, 06:03:12 pm