Topic: If I know C and Python

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
And matlab....lol matlab as a programming language....

but if I "know" C and python, will I pick up VBA pretty easily? (this is the key question)

What about C# or C++?

What about java?

I say "know" 'cause compared to 6 months ago I'm a fucking pro with C, but I gather I'm just scratching the surface.

C was half OS based and half micro controller based.

I guess the real question is, what did you start with and what have you found difficult to move to? and have other people found that?

Posted: November 08, 2012, 01:48:44 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I started with QBASIC when I was a youngin, then had a gap of about 10 years where I didn't do any programming. Then had a Java course in my Degree, then C#

The transistion from Java to C# was pretty easy. But I was also pretty keen on XNA at the time, which would have help me learn C# quite a bit.

lol, I did matlab at Uni as well.
Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:11:08 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #1 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:02:53 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
To answer your question, I think yes. Visual Basic is very wordy and I dislike it, but I think it's easy to pick up.

But you'll miss your {}'s

Reply #2 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:06:20 pm

This brings back memories

Reply #3 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:07:54 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
Was a dream moving from Python into C#.

C# though, is a, and is this the right term? strongly written language, whereas python is weakly written. There are a lot of differences but the thing you'll notice immediately is the difference in power between them. Not to say python isn't a great language, of course.

I also forgot C# because I didn't use it for so long, but it's very very easy to pick up. I'll always have python because I use it for 3D.

Started in QBasic also SM, and like you, massive gap. Think we had this discussion a while back, though.

Reply #4 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:08:34 pm
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Thanks Monkey!

I've always been really good at picking up software, even back in my graphicsy days

Reply #5 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:15:53 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Vba is like any language but. Why vba? Are you automating office files?  You can use c# in modules with office.

I use c# and vba all day everyday for office automation and data analyst stuff hit me up if you need anything.

Reply #6 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:21:12 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1508152
Vba is like any language but. Why vba? Are you automating office files?  You can use c# in modules with office.

I use c# and vba all day everyday for office automation and data analyst stuff hit me up if you need anything.

cause that's what the job description asks for :) says it's a benefit though, not a requirement.

Reply #7 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:30:52 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Vba is very very easy its generally used for macros or excel and access automation.

Reply #8 Posted: November 08, 2012, 02:34:17 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1508144
And matlab....lol matlab as a programming language....

but if I "know" C and python, will I pick up VBA pretty easily? (this is the key question)

What about C# or C++?

What about java?

I say "know" 'cause compared to 6 months ago I'm a fucking pro with C, but I gather I'm just scratching the surface.

C was half OS based and half micro controller based.

I guess the real question is, what did you start with and what have you found difficult to move to? and have other people found that?

Nothing. You currently own the universe. Stop searching.

Quote from: Oddball;1508148
Was a dream moving from Python into C#.

C# though, is a, and is this the right term? strongly written language, whereas python is weakly written. There are a lot of differences but the thing you'll notice immediately is the difference in power between them. Not to say python isn't a great language, of course.

I also forgot C# because I didn't use it for so long, but it's very very easy to pick up. I'll always have python because I use it for 3D.

Started in QBasic also SM, and like you, massive gap. Think we had this discussion a while back, though.

Strong/weak typed. Close.

Reply #9 Posted: November 08, 2012, 06:09:22 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Foreach ( Post post in GetSome.Forums )
{
     if ( Post.Stupid == true )
     {
          this.Angry = true;
          Post.Troll( );
     }
}

Reply #10 Posted: November 08, 2012, 06:27:54 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xsannz;1508176
Foreach ( Post post in GetSome.Forums )
{
     if ( Post.Stupid == true )
     {
          this.Angry = true;
          Post.Troll( );
     }
}
Glad to see you gave up on VB :P

It's a whore, we use it at work. As previously mentioned; I feel like I'm writing as essay every time I write some code. One thing I do like is the case insensitivity though :P

Reply #11 Posted: November 08, 2012, 06:40:09 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
i write all modules in c# now and then interface them with as minimal vba as a i can.

Reply #12 Posted: November 08, 2012, 07:02:59 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
best programming joke ever

Code: [Select]
If (DateTime.Now == Valentines Day)
{
///Womens Valintines Day Mod Begin
if (pm.Female == true)
{
if (pm.spouse == true || pm.BoyFriend == true)
{
If (pm.spouse.Paycheck == true || pm.BoyFriend.Paycheck == true)
{
pm.addtobackpack ( new Spouse.Paycheck(amount));
pm.addtobackpack ( new BoyFriend .Paycheck(amount));
pm.GivesOnedayofNagfreemomentIfGivenPaycheck = true;
Pm.Spouse.Broke = true;
Pm.BoyFriend.broke = true;

Pm.Spouse.SavesOwnLife = true;
Pm.BoyFriend.SavesOwnLife = true;
}
If (pm.spouse.Paycheck == false|| pm.BoyFriend.Paycheck == false)
{
spouse.Divorce = true;
spouse.Castration = true;
spouse.LooseAllBelonings = true;

BoyFriend.Divorce = true;
BoyFriend.Castration = true;
BoyFriend.LooseAllBelonings = true;

LoosePayCheckAnyways = true;
InDebt = true;
}
}
///Mans ValintinesDay Mod Begin
if (pm.Female ==false)
{
if ( Pm.Spouse == null || pm.GirlFriend == null)
{
pm.Drink = true;
pm.addbackpack ( new Vodka(50));
pm.RentHooker = true;
pm.IsHappy = true;
pm.DiesWithAGrinOnHisFaceAndAWoody = true;
DiesWithMoney = True;

}
if ( Pm.Spouse == true|| pm.GirlFriend == true)
{
pm.Drink = true;
pm.RentHotelroom = true;
pm.addbackpack ( new Vodka(50));
pm.RentHooker = true;
pm.IsHappy = true;
pm.PayOffHooker = true;
pm.DiesWithMoney = false;
pm.PraysOtherHalfWontFindOut= true;
pm.DiesWithNagginBitch = true;

}

else If ( pm.Name == "Obble")
{
pm.HasHeart = False;
pm.IsBitter = True;
pm.IsPoor = True;
//Dont need Female To be Poor, but would be in debt if had one
pm.InDebt = false;
}

else
{
pm.SendMessage ("Wat are you a Hermit?");
}
}
Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:11:10 pm by Xsannz

Reply #13 Posted: November 08, 2012, 07:07:51 pm

You forgot to declare 'pm'.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object!!!

And 'Pm' as well...

Reply #14 Posted: November 08, 2012, 07:17:52 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

IMO if you learn something like C++ where there is no garbage collection and its static and strongly typed its relatively simple to move to any of the newer garbage collected dynamicly typed langauges.
In other words once you know a low level langauge reasonbly well and understand OO being able to be somewhat productive in a new language can take only a-few hours.

I started my new job a month ago and first day I was working with 2 languages I haven't had much to do with, while I still get confused sometimes a quick google search enables me continue to be very productive.

If you know C I would suggest you pick up some C++ get familiar with the OO goodness, move to C# to get to used to garbage collection and all the nice new fancy programming language concepts and then the world is your oyster.
Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:43:10 pm by Bell

Reply #15 Posted: November 08, 2012, 07:38:10 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
awesome.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Reply #16 Posted: November 08, 2012, 07:52:28 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1508186
You forgot to declare 'pm'.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object!!!

And 'Pm' as well...

What if boyfriend is true but spouse is null!?
How can I laugh if the joke doesn't compute :(
Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:10:02 pm by Bell

Reply #17 Posted: November 08, 2012, 08:07:40 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
I use matlab at work yo

Reply #18 Posted: November 08, 2012, 08:45:47 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
but if I "know" python

I know Python too. Hssss. HSSSSSSS
#400459 +(13059)- [X]

someone speak python here?
  HHHHHSSSSSHSSS
  SSSSS
  the programming language

Reply #19 Posted: March 09, 2013, 02:06:37 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

If I know German and French.

Will I pick up Russian pretty easily?

Reply #20 Posted: March 12, 2013, 05:28:35 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1520401
If I know German and French.

Will I pick up Russian pretty easily?

Those European languages all stem from the same roots (some more than others, russian, german and french less so) so often the principles of one language are similar for the others.

Though, monkey, you're too old now to find learning a language easy.

Reply #21 Posted: March 12, 2013, 08:59:04 am

That's ok.

I don't know German and French anyway. The question was purely academic.

Reply #22 Posted: March 12, 2013, 09:43:37 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
No.

Reply #23 Posted: March 12, 2013, 05:35:19 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.