Topic: Solomon Islanders and Dolphins

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
As we know, Whales are awesome and dolphins closely related, the motorcycle form of a whale, are awesome also.

So why the fuck do we need to pay a bunch of savages to stop killing them?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/8218747/Row-leads-to-dolphin-slaughter

Do they not understand that if they kill off the dolphins, it'll be worse than not having 1.7 million NZD because you wont have anything and you will die.

I think we need to start nuclear testing in the Solomons.

Fuck Gareth Morgan and his Ailurophobia

Posted: January 24, 2013, 04:11:09 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
fuck . stupid oxygen thieves . cut the fuckholes and feed them to the sharks .

Reply #1 Posted: January 25, 2013, 09:46:10 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Disgraceful bunch of heathens!

and some are always blaming the Japs.  Without civilized intervention those motherfuckers would turn the place into a Pacific Zimbabwe

Reply #2 Posted: January 25, 2013, 10:57:12 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1515934

So why the fuck do we need to pay a bunch of savages to stop killing them?

[URL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/8218747/Row-leads-to-dolphin-slaughter[/URL]

Do they not understand that if they kill off the dolphins, it'll be worse than not having 1.7 million NZD because you wont have anything and you will die

The simply response is - no they don't understand.

They have been doing something for a very long time and given the amount that they kill and the size of the solomin island population, I dare say that the amount would be negligable.

Along comes the western world - rapes and pillages resources and now suddenly (through little to no fault of the Solomon Islanders) Dolphins are now endangered.

Along comes the Western world and tells the Solomon Islanders, that something they have done for a long time is now a threat to the species and needs to stop. Since the dolphins were a source of food and income, they offer to compensate them so that they don't kill the dolphins.

They didn't pay up, they now need to kill dolphins for food/income - and we are mad at the Islanders?

If anything, we should be rebuking the tight asses who underpaid the Islanders in the first place (shades of the old colonial attitude of 'lets screw the Natives'?). Were it not a bunch of natives they were dealing with, but a big corporate entity, I doubt this would have happened or if it did, the lawyers would have been sueing them over a breach of contract.

or we should be rebuking the industries that have led to the decline of the dolphin in the first place?

Reply #3 Posted: January 30, 2013, 03:37:13 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1516394
They didn't pay up, they now need to kill dolphins for food/income - and we are mad at the Islanders?

If anything, we should be rebuking the tight asses who underpaid the Islanders in the first place (shades of the old colonial attitude of 'lets screw the Natives'?). Were it not a bunch of natives they were dealing with, but a big corporate entity, I doubt this would have happened or if it did, the lawyers would have been sueing them over a breach of contract.

or we should be rebuking the industries that have led to the decline of the dolphin in the first place?

Negligible income considering the taboo around purchasing endangered species parts, I would walk out of the house of a person who proudly displayed their dolphin jaw collection. Negligible food, there's plenty other fish in the sea, other island nations have managed to get by without it?

Also it's said they paid them out the 2.4 mill but it sounds like one of the savages has pocketed most of it and buggered off, wouldn't surprise me.

Reply #4 Posted: January 30, 2013, 04:02:07 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516395
Negligible income considering the taboo around purchasing endangered species parts, I would walk out of the house of a person who proudly displayed their dolphin jaw collection. Negligible food, there's plenty other fish in the sea, other island nations have managed to get by without it?

Also it's said they paid them out the 2.4 mill but it sounds like one of the savages has pocketed most of it and buggered off, wouldn't surprise me.

Negligible food and income are relative.

What I consider negligible would equate to a Kings Salary and banquet to a native of the 3rd world.

I concede your comment about the possibility of a Native stealing the money and running off (hell I would contemplate doing a runner if someone gave me 2 Million...) but then - if they were paying the money to one individual directly, that does strike me as somewhat 'naive'

Reply #5 Posted: January 30, 2013, 04:07:30 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1516396
Negligible food and income are relative.

What I consider negligible would equate to a Kings Salary and banquet to a native of the 3rd world.

I concede your comment about the possibility of a Native stealing the money and running off (hell I would contemplate doing a runner if someone gave me 2 Million...) but then - if they were paying the money to one individual directly, that does strike me as somewhat 'naive'

I figured that because someone didn't get all the money it probably made it to the country intact, but then when it was divided out to the individual islands/towns/tribes it went missing.

I still think murder of 900 dolphins is a bit extreme and shows how dumb these people are. (I dolt like using the term "dumb", but I haven't time to think of a better term, maybe ignorant?)

Speaking of dumb though I had a friend doing mechanical, he had an assignment where they had to design a tap for the solomons that didn't fail and could be used without instruction because the average Solomon islander was too poorly educated to work out how a regular tap works let alone repair one.

Reply #6 Posted: January 30, 2013, 04:23:44 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I thought something seemed suspicious about this whole thing. Who do they sell the dolphin bits to?
http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/solomon_islands_dolphin_kill_spurred_by_corrupt_dolphin_traders/

Solomon Islands’ Dolphin Kill Spurred by Corrupt Dolphin Traders, Says Animal Rights Group

A group of villagers in the Solomon Islands in Oceana captured and killed over 1,000 dolphins this week in the worst dolphin massacre in the region in recent years.

Photo by John Norton
IMMP says that dolphin traders, who can make as much as $150,000 per dolphin sold to
 aquariums and marine parks in China, the Middle East, and the Caribbean, may have
 helped sabotage their conservation efforts.

The killings occurred in two spates — the first on Monday, when 700 dolphins including about 240 calves were killed, and the second yesterday that led to the death of 300 more dolphins.

The initial slaughter triggered off a spate of news reports in Australian and New Zealand media that said that the slaughter was in protest against International Marine Mammal Project’s (IMMP) failure to pay up funds promised to the villagers to help support sustainable development without dolphin kills.

The reports relied on allegations made by Fanalei Association chairman Atkin Fakaia who claims that IMMP hadn’t paid up the full amount it had promised and that the villagers had on option but to resume killing in order to survive.

IMMP rubbishes this allegation.  

It says the dolphins were killed by a break-away band of villagers from South Malaita’s Fanalei village. The rest of the people of the three villages — Fanalei, Walende, and Bitamae — that the project had reached agreement with back in 2010 were not involved in the killings, it said in a statement. (Full disclosure: IMMP is a project of Earth Island Institute, which is also the publisher of Earth Island Journal.)

“The sudden decision to kill dolphins lies with a disparate group from one community, Fanalei, who broke from the consensus we have built around ending the dolphin killing," the statement said. “Many in this very community we helped are furious over these renegades."

Fanalei chief Willson Filei, who had helped strike the deal with IMMP, condemned the killings. “The Honiara based committee was only formed when they learn that money was actually coming in. They refused and discourage us at the first place,” he told the local daily Solomon Star. “But when money came in they tried to push their way in. They then messed up the whole project and encourage villagers to return to hunt. I wash my hands from this recent string of slaughter.”

Killing dolphins for their meat and teeth, which is also used as currency on some of these islands, has been a traditional practice in these islands. But in recent years villagers have also been capturing dolphins to sell to international traders who supply the mammals to dolphinariums across the world.

IMMP, which has been fighting for decades to end marine mammal slaughter and stop captive whale and dolphin trade, brokered an agreement with the three villages in 2010. “The agreement effectively stopped the killing of dolphins more than 2,000 dolphins a year by these three villages,” said IMMP associate director Mark Berman.  The resumption of  killings is a sad setback to the project’s conservation efforts.

“It is tragic that the renegade group has broken this consensus and started killing dolphins again,” Berman said. IMMP has been providing these villages with funding for infrastructure rebuilding, paying schools fees for children, and helping villagers develop alternative employment opportunities.

Reply #7 Posted: January 30, 2013, 04:52:54 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
And where did the millions go?
http://www.care2.com/causes/900-dolphins-killed-in-solomon-islands.html#13595180993091&action=collapse_widget&id=3494063
The islanders have aired their concerns about Earth Island Institute on Radio Australia, says the Guardian. Residents of Fanalei say that the conservation group had only paid a third of the promised funds. As a result, “disillusioned” villagers have returned to hunting. Atkin Fakaia, a community leader, says flat-out that “Earth Island had been reluctant to pay the agreed amount that was due to the community.”

For its part, Earth Island claims that the issue is more complex. David Phillips, who oversees international dolphin protection efforts for the group, alleges that a “renegade group” based in the capital of Honiara has “grabbed1 funds that were supposed to go to the community” and not distributed them. The funds were supposed to be paid as small grants for community and “income generating projects” specifically in the village of Fanalei.

Nyack C.
 6:29PM PST on Jan 29, 2013

Misunderstand? More like animal terrorists. They held dolphins hostage and killed them when they didn't recieve money.
Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:59:38 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #8 Posted: January 30, 2013, 04:57:55 pm

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516399
I still think murder of 900 dolphins is a bit extreme and shows how dumb these people are. (I dolt like using the term "dumb", but I haven't time to think of a better term, maybe ignorant?)

I'm assuming they then used the dolphins for food etc?

Reply #9 Posted: January 30, 2013, 05:33:01 pm
sila.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
what about the millions they were making before the pay out?

$150,000 per dolphin times 2000 dolphins a year is 300 million dollars a year going?

Reply #10 Posted: January 30, 2013, 05:36:26 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516407
what about the millions they were making before the pay out?

$150,000 per dolphin times 2000 dolphins a year is 300 million dollars a year going?

This is actually more interesting than it looks. This is for the LIVE sale of dolphins.

If the Islanders kill 900 dolphins that is $135,000,000.
$1,700,000 seems pittance in comparison.

HOWEVER: There is 0 chance of selling 900 dolphins. The market just wouldnt stand for it. Plus it is mostly illegal.
Therefore it looks like someone convinced the islanders that they were missing out on a huge amount of money, then that same someone took all the money that was meant to be given to the islanders before telling the islanders that they 'hadnt been given the money'.

Apparently they kill 500 - 1500 dolphins a year anyway and the uproar is about an agreement with the payment to not kill dolphins.

Reply #11 Posted: January 30, 2013, 11:57:12 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I also heard some islander guy ate a dog.

Why can't other cultures just be normal and civilized and setup elaborate killing systems that slaughter millions of baby sheep and celebrate the tastyness of pig like the rest of us.
Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:37:46 am by Bell

Reply #12 Posted: January 31, 2013, 02:34:49 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Isn't there a similar thing still going on with seals (whales?) in Iceland?

Reply #13 Posted: January 31, 2013, 09:22:08 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: winter;1516472

Seals are not whales.

How you could confused the two? One has wings and flys, and the other runs around in tunnels underground.

Reply #14 Posted: January 31, 2013, 09:57:25 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516477
Seals are not whales.

How you could confused the two? One has wings and flys, and the other runs around in tunnels underground.

Fuck me - Flying whales would be awesome

Reply #15 Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:08:49 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: winter;1516472
Seals are not whales.

Winter is not wrong here, he has just mixed up the Scandanavian countries.

The Faroe Islands of Denmark kill dolphins, but they do it for the dolphin meat. They dont do it for money like these scummy islanders

It is also quite regulated the wikipedia page about dolphin drive hunting in the faroe islands doesnt say much about the killing of dolphins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

BUT, the ever reliable snopes does:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/dolphinhunt.asp
We don't yet know the specific origins of the photographs displayed above, but they're consistent with other documentation of the hunting of pilot whales by residents of the Faroe Islands (an autonomous province of Denmark), a subject which has long been a subject of controversy.  Although the International Whaling Commission enacted a ban on commercial whaling since 1986, pilot whales are technically a member of the dolphin family, and the Faroe Islands is one of the parts of the world where the IWC's rules still allowed for subsistence hunting of such small cetaceans

Supporters of the hunt maintain that the practice of killing pilot whales is "an age-old communal, noncommercial hunt aimed at meeting the community's need for whale meat and blubber," that the animals are dealt with so quickly that their pain is brief, and that whale meat accounts for a quarter of the Faroe islanders' annual meat consumption.  Conservationists charge that the hunts, which may take hundreds of whales at a time, are barbaric and pointless, that "the practice is outdated, cruel and unnecessary for a place with one of the highest standards of living in Europe," and that most of the whales go to waste (either being left on the beach to rot or thrown back to sea after they are killed.

In late 2008, chief medical officers of the Faroe Islands advised that they no longer considered pilot whales to be fit for human consumption because the animals' meat and blubber had been found to contain too much mercury, PCBs and DDT derivatives.

edit: Oh yeah, warning. The snopes site has pictures of mass dolphin slaughter that might disturb. So I guess NSFW
Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:15:42 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #16 Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:14:04 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Seals are not whales.

I thought it was either one, not that Seals are whales haha .. It's TOO EARLY FOR THIS SM!

Reply #17 Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:35:30 am

Codex

Kill dolphins

Fuck bitches

Reply #18 Posted: January 31, 2013, 12:37:51 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
In that order?

Reply #19 Posted: January 31, 2013, 01:01:18 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1516460

Why can't other cultures just be normal and civilized and setup elaborate killing systems that slaughter millions of baby sheep and celebrate the tastyness of pig like the rest of us.

well we carefully control the birth and death rate of livestock, and they're isolated in a farm, soooo if thry made a sea farm for whales and dolphins that'd be great, totally impractical but that's not my problem.

Reply #20 Posted: January 31, 2013, 01:33:51 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1516460

well we carefully control the birth and death rate of livestock, and they're isolated in a farm, soooo if thry made a sea farm for whales and dolphins that'd be great, totally impractical but that's not my problem.

Reply #21 Posted: January 31, 2013, 01:34:12 pm

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1516501

Agree with this.

Sheep and Cows have no danger of becoming endangerd, because we don't eat wild cows, they're farmed. Can't compare the consumption of livestock to wild animals like whales and dolphins.

Hunting wild animals is usally not a sustainable source of food.

Reply #22 Posted: January 31, 2013, 01:40:28 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516503
Hunting wild animals is usally not a sustainable source of food.

How long have they been hunting dolphins?
I bet it has been sustainable for them for along time.

Bottle nosed dolphins are also not endangered, so I think this is more to do with your feelings that dolphins are cool than anything else.
If some villagers killed 3000 wild boar would you give a shit?
Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:18:33 pm by Bell

Reply #23 Posted: January 31, 2013, 09:14:36 pm

Of couse, everything is to do with my feelings.

Dolphins are cool.

Reply #24 Posted: February 01, 2013, 08:12:45 am