Topic: THIS IS SHIT SHIT SHITBALLS

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
GST hits Steam and other digital stores next Oct

Games purchased on Steam will be subject to GST from next October, Revenue Minister Todd McClay says.

As reported by Stuff, from October 1, a GST charge of 15 per cent will be added to Netflix subscriptions, iTunes downloads, Amazon e-books, and other digital products and services purchased offshore.

Any foreign company that sells more than NZS$60,000 of digital services to New Zealanders each year will be required to register with Inland Revenue and collect the GST on its behalf.

Those avoiding GST by using a VPN to make it appear they lived outside the country would be liable for a fine of up to $25,000, said McClay. It will be up to the IRD to implement the rules.

However, those circumventing geo-blocking to access content would probably not be liable for fines, said Deloitte tax partner Allan Bullot.

The tax is designed to close a loophole under which digital products and services can be bought from overseas firms tax free. It is expected to raise about NZ$40 million a year for the government.

The Government first announced its plans to impose the so-called "Netflix tax" in August.

Several countries, including South Africa, Norway and Japan, have introduced similar regimes to that proposed by the new legislation, with Australia set to follow in July 2017.

Posted: November 20, 2015, 08:38:14 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I don't mind.

For most games it will only be an extra couple of bucks, still get good deals on steam stales.

Considering the value I get from Netflix, I would happily pay twice what I'm paying now.

Taxes gonna tax.

Reply #1 Posted: November 20, 2015, 08:47:39 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
VPN ho...

Reply #2 Posted: November 20, 2015, 08:53:28 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Back to buying CD keys to activate on steam I go.

Reply #3 Posted: November 20, 2015, 09:12:26 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
VPN ho...

I wouldn't use a VPN to avoid GST. Not worth the bother, plus I have no issues with paying taxes, gotta pay for roads and schools.

I may use it to avoid regional pricing.
Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:14:35 am by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #4 Posted: November 20, 2015, 09:12:57 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Back to buying CD keys to activate on steam I go.

GMG  or CDKEYS sites yep i'm with you there,  on cdkeys i got mortal combat x deluxe edition for 4usd....

still better deals.. than steam sale..

Reply #5 Posted: November 20, 2015, 09:17:27 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
VPN ho...

I wouldn't use a VPN to avoid GST. Not worth the bother, plus I have no issues with paying taxes, gotta pay for roads and schools.

I may use it to avoid regional pricing.

i pay my rates and my taxes, but paying for DLC is bad enough without be taxed on it ontop off, i use digital companies so i dont have to pay the premium have having to pay some twat at EB's markup and markup for import and gst.

Reply #6 Posted: November 20, 2015, 09:18:43 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
If this applies to the XBOX store it's going to mean paying nearly $150 for triple A's. I get fucked and peters of Kensington still gets to sell kitchen appliances for less than my cost.

Thanks National.

Reply #7 Posted: November 20, 2015, 10:10:04 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
you fuckers

Reply #8 Posted: November 20, 2015, 10:10:13 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Actually, I reckon it’ll bring in a wave of overseas based credit card accounts,

Actually if you look at the way the law and legislation is written the end user is dictated by the billing address for the end user.

HELLLO  VISA application for the USA, or USA visa prezzy cards.

Create foreign steam account and pay with foreign visa or prezzy card and then  ‘gifting’ purchases to themselves (real steam account).
Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:12:44 am by Xsannz

Reply #9 Posted: November 20, 2015, 11:11:05 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
If this applies to the XBOX store it's going to mean paying nearly $150 for triple A's. I get fucked and peters of Kensington still gets to sell kitchen appliances for less than my cost.

Thanks National.

FUCK PETERS OF KENSINGTON. THESE FUCKERS GOT MY EMAIL ADDRESS OFF SOME SPAM LIST AND HAVE BEEN REAMING MY GMAIL'S PROLAPSED ASSHOLE EVER SINCE.

Pro-tip, don't buy digital unless it's Steam's massive annual sales. AAA titles are always cheaper at JB Hifi than what Steam releases them as.

Reply #10 Posted: November 20, 2015, 11:59:02 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
I signed up on purpose to keep an eye on things. Regret.

Actually, I reckon it’ll bring in a wave of overseas based credit card accounts,

Actually if you look at the way the law and legislation is written the end user is dictated by the billing address for the end user.

Create foreign steam account and pay with foreign visa or prezzy card and then  ‘gifting’ purchases to themselves (real steam account).

Yeah, that sounds way too complicated for a dummy like me.

Reply #11 Posted: November 20, 2015, 12:01:24 pm

lol @ console hate

Gosh peoples, just pay your taxes

Or move to Northland, the land where no one pays taxes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=11548461
Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:12:00 pm by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #12 Posted: November 20, 2015, 12:07:58 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
I smoke cigarettes. I pay enough tax thanks mate.

Reply #13 Posted: November 20, 2015, 12:20:45 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I pay an astro fucking nomical amount of PAYE already, money which goes to paying for all sorts of shit the government has no business providing (like giving a cent to anyone who is not an NZ citizen).

Reply #14 Posted: November 20, 2015, 01:54:23 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
If the Govt is going to charge GST - I wonder if one could make legal challenge that international purchases should be covered by the CGA (if the NZ Govt is going to charge me Tax on it, then they better be covering me as well)

Reply #15 Posted: November 20, 2015, 03:24:33 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
If the Govt is going to charge GST - I wonder if one could make legal challenge that international purchases should be covered by the CGA (if the NZ Govt is going to charge me Tax on it, then they better be covering me as well)
Consumer guarantees act for electronic purchases?

Hahahhahahahahahahaha

No.
Still waiting for news or any information about what the TPPA contains about copyright infringement. I'm pretty sure that if you pirate then the rules state that you'll get a free trip to guantanamo bay.
I take it you are one of those anti-TPPA loonies?
Electronic Commerce? Thats covered by the TPPA.

Who is the loony now?

p.s Neither of us

Reply #16 Posted: November 20, 2015, 09:55:53 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
If you don't like paying tax, leave NZ.

Reply #17 Posted: November 21, 2015, 11:08:10 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
If you don't like people having the ability to complain about tax move to N Korea
Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:55:34 am by Clin

Reply #18 Posted: November 21, 2015, 11:51:40 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
If you don't like paying tax, leave NZ.
It's a bit hard to justify telling people that their copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops 16 from an online store is funding roads in Auckland, when in reality it is funding John Key's bathroom robe malfunctions in Manila.

Reply #19 Posted: November 21, 2015, 12:02:19 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

Apparently when Valve figures this out you get banned, refunded, etc

Reply #20 Posted: November 21, 2015, 04:37:32 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
When it comes to games, blame the publishers for the excessive price, not the tax.

Reply #21 Posted: November 22, 2015, 12:02:01 am
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

If you don't like people having the ability to complain about tax move to N Korea

It doesn't make sense to complain about tax. It's the governments source of income. Same as every other country.

Complaining about how that money is spent is a different matter.

Reply #22 Posted: November 22, 2015, 07:54:55 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
My main complaint is that currently anything I buy that has GST, also has consumer protection (enforced by the Govt) Buying overseas did mean no GST, but also no Protection for the consumer - that was a trade off I was happy with.

Now I see the Govt having their cake and eating it too.

Reply #23 Posted: November 22, 2015, 08:09:38 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Wait, does this affect the Humble Bundles as well?

The more money you pay, the more the Government gets?

Reply #24 Posted: November 22, 2015, 11:18:42 pm