Topic: PC Build - Recommended Systems Thread - February 2012

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
'(total is 12.8Ghz)', wow thats some serious OC ;) wonder if they just drowned the whole thing in LN2 ?

OT, avoid generic PSU and the 6850 will spank the GTS450.  i'd take a 500GB F3 over anything Seagate or is it actually a WD ? unless your working with massive video/photo files the extra RAM won't do much.

my2c

Reply #75 Posted: May 11, 2011, 09:43:48 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
going with the new build ensures you have receipts and parts warranty as well as better GFX, faster RAM and better HDD. and of course the newer gen Motherboard

Reply #76 Posted: May 11, 2011, 10:31:16 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
Just going to ask here as I don't want to make a new thread.

Corsair HX1000 still one of the best for around that money? Look for a 1000W for $300-$400

Reply #77 Posted: May 13, 2011, 08:58:01 am
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I'm going to say yes, with this and this coming close.

Sounds like review reading time for you.

Reply #78 Posted: May 13, 2011, 09:43:36 am

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Updated 17/07/2011

Tired of waiting for Bulldozer to actually show up, so have updated everything.  There are some minor changes to prices and products (such as hard drives, memory and CPU cooling due to availability) as well as a universal movement from Sandforce 1200 to Sandforce 2200 solid state drives where present, with a resultant near doubling of speed.  

A welcome and easy change is from P67 to the new and superior Z68 motherboards in our very prevalent LGA-1155 (Sandy Bridge) PC's - as a result of Z68, the gaming rigs now all have included SSD's, due to the awesomeness of SSD caching and shome shiny new cases to boot. At the upper end, all PC's now have 8+GB of RAM due to its cheapness and can observe a pro Nvidia graphics movement (with the GTX 560 Ti, GTX 570 and GTX 580 ruling the upper end).  

In the budget end we also see AMD's powerful new Llano CPU's take up home - increasing cost by $200, but bringing quad core (with each core being much faster) and critically very functional basic gaming capabilities to even our cheapest system. HTPC's stay with Intel for now due to their lower price and power consumption (though this may change with incoming cheaper Llano CPUs and boards) with a few minor changes and speed upgrades.

Mmm.. power :D  Now for AMD to bring out Bulldozer, and Intel Sandy-Bridge E...

Reply #79 Posted: July 17, 2011, 06:50:41 pm

Offline J Bomb

• I Posted!
  • J Bomb has no influence.
Thanks for the update philo, this thread is really helpful. Looking at popping my build a pc cherry this year.

Reply #80 Posted: July 23, 2011, 10:01:20 am

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Quote from: philo-sofa;1401234
Updated 17/07/2011

Tired of waiting for Bulldozer to actually show up, so have updated everything.  There are some minor changes to prices and products (such as hard drives, memory and CPU cooling due to availability) as well as a universal movement from Sandforce 1200 to Sandforce 2200 solid state drives where present, with a resultant near doubling of speed.  

A welcome and easy change is from P67 to the new and superior Z68 motherboards in our very prevalent LGA-1155 (Sandy Bridge) PC's - as a result of Z68, the gaming rigs now all have included SSD's, due to the awesomeness of SSD caching and shome shiny new cases to boot. At the upper end, all PC's now have 8+GB of RAM due to its cheapness and can observe a pro Nvidia graphics movement (with the GTX 560 Ti, GTX 570 and GTX 580 ruling the upper end).  

In the budget end we also see AMD's powerful new Llano CPU's take up home - increasing cost by $200, but bringing quad core (with each core being much faster) and critically very functional basic gaming capabilities to even our cheapest system. HTPC's stay with Intel for now due to their lower price and power consumption (though this may change with incoming cheaper Llano CPUs and boards) with a few minor changes and speed upgrades.

Mmm.. power :D  Now for AMD to bring out Bulldozer, and Intel Sandy-Bridge E...

The gaming build has a 6950 2gig instead of the 560Ti you update the list again since this post philo old boy?

Reply #81 Posted: August 15, 2011, 09:31:39 am

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Quote from: mayhem_lee;1410629
The gaming build has a 6950 2gig instead of the 560Ti you update the list again since this post philo old boy?
Cheers for bringing that up.  It wasn't quite a typo so much as my being as clear as mud. At stock (and let's face it that's where the majority of people leave their cards) the 6950 is faster than the GTX 560 Ti and as such it's 'just right' for the $2,200 build.  The GPU market is refreshingly competitive - what I was meaning is that Nvidia have pretty much cleared AMD out of the higher end builds - of the four 'gaming' builds the one you mentioned is the only one with an AMD card, however the price vs performance differential is razor thin, so whilst Nvidia is a bit dominant overall it makes sense to have the 6950 in that dollar build - basically I overstated Nvidias dominance a bit, albeit that they are ahead.

... of course that's until the 28nm Southern Islands (including one code named 'New Zealand'!) come out, allegedly before the end of the year and well ahead of Nvidia's new cards.

*rubs hands together in glee*

Reply #82 Posted: August 15, 2011, 02:26:06 pm

Offline Aquila Rossa

• Just settled in
  • Aquila Rossa has no influence.
Some of the 6950s flash to 6970s too, which makes them even better value. The only reason I grabbed a GTX570 was because it was an open box deal for only 400 bucks, otherwise it would have been Radeon for me too.

Reply #83 Posted: August 15, 2011, 02:37:44 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Quote from: Aquila Rossa;1410736
Some of the 6950s flash to 6970s too, which makes them even better value. The only reason I grabbed a GTX570 was because it was an open box deal for only 400 bucks, otherwise it would have been Radeon for me too.

people have had issues with it and some cards wont do it.

Reply #84 Posted: August 15, 2011, 02:53:48 pm

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
Quote from: mayhem_lee;1410746

hardly anyone has issues with it, its probably around a 95%+ success rate?

Reply #85 Posted: August 15, 2011, 02:57:14 pm
sila.

Offline Aquila Rossa

• Just settled in
Quote from: mayhem_lee;1410746

that is why i said:
Some of the 6950s
. it must be possible to find out which cards are most likely to flash with success.

Reply #86 Posted: August 15, 2011, 03:12:33 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
Even some non-refernce cards flash to it. Even if they don't their is only a little bit of soldering to fix that (differrent for each card though)

Reply #87 Posted: August 15, 2011, 07:38:39 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Not all current cards can do it, 5loth is right.  If you know what you're doing the vast majority should be able to be do it tho (just use a shader unlocker to modify the card's BIOS) and in most cases significantly oerclocked up to 6970 speeds.

Reply #88 Posted: August 15, 2011, 08:34:48 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
Pretty sure AMD haven't been crippling them and it's just some of the card makers changing the board to stop flashing. Or did I miss the headlines?

Reply #89 Posted: August 15, 2011, 11:07:38 pm

Offline Aquila Rossa

• Just settled in
Pity it's not possible with a GTX 570.

you guys agree with this from MS:

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that
•Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
•Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
•Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.

In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.
Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:00:51 am by Aquila Rossa

Reply #90 Posted: August 15, 2011, 11:09:51 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Sorry if this has been asked before, But the Uber Gaming build, Is the extra cooling needed, or only if you are planning on overclocking? And should it definately run BF3 on high deetz with very little fps lag? I realise that BF3 release specs haven't been released yet, but maybe you guys have an estimate?

Reply #91 Posted: August 17, 2011, 09:25:30 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
The cooling isn't needed if you aren't overclocking.  However even the 'auto overclock' should give you ~4.4GHz stable, so it's well worth spending a little extra on the cooling, even if you're only going to tell the motherboard to do the work for you. For BF3 - I'd first of all wait, but given the 'demo rigs' for BF3 have apparently been using a mildly overclocked 2600K and a single GTX 580, the uber build should be able to handle it very well yes :)

One the game is out, an dif it really is all that great we'll slap together a build or two specifically for it.  However the top end will likely be pretty close to the 'uber build'.

Reply #92 Posted: August 17, 2011, 10:03:06 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Cheers man ^_^. I've worked out that it's going to take me around 3 months to get enough money to buy a pc like this, So with BF3 coming out in 2 months, we should have more than enough time :)

Reply #93 Posted: August 18, 2011, 08:53:09 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
I dispute your maths there chief ;)

Reply #94 Posted: August 18, 2011, 10:28:16 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Hi

Does anyone know much about these foxcon cases?

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=488481
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Chassis/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000114

They are a pretty good price, they look nice too, but I can't find any reviews on them.
Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:35:52 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #95 Posted: August 19, 2011, 03:29:05 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Looks more like an office box to me, would it be for a gaming rig? You could probably get something with more room and better cooling.
Although the website says 'good cooling' and shows a side vent :D

Reply #96 Posted: August 19, 2011, 03:33:05 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Emrico1;1412716
Looks more like an office box to me, would it be for a gaming rig? You could probably get something with more room and better cooling.
Although the website says 'good cooling' and shows a side vent :D

na, not a gaming rig.  I'm going to be upgrading my gaming computer for BF3, I want to stick my old parts in a horizontal case which I can connect to my TV and use it as a HTPC.

Reply #97 Posted: August 19, 2011, 03:37:38 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Looks perfect for that man.

I was going to do that too but I've decided this rig will run Bf3 and I'll get another so I can has 2.

Reply #98 Posted: August 19, 2011, 03:40:20 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
Foxconn employies went on a suicide streak about a year, all I know about them

Reply #99 Posted: August 19, 2011, 05:37:17 pm