Topic: Steam Download Tools

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
If you see a lot of data going through the http ports on TCPView on Steam, then your not safe.  But from my experience, using steam limiter should block HTTP steam downloading.

Reply #75 Posted: December 03, 2012, 05:03:35 pm

Offline Citysoldier

• Just settled in
  • Citysoldier has no influence.
Put it this way, these days everything is using the new http system.  Don't count on anything not being http.  There is a list somewhere that shows what is using the new system.  Probably not updated though.  Need either something to force it to use Telstras content server, Steam to put in the option to use the Telstra content server, or Telstra to offer all Steam unmetered.  Just have to wait and see what happens in the future but dont get your hopes up.

Reply #76 Posted: December 04, 2012, 12:31:58 pm

Offline simcore

• Addicted
  • simcore has no influence.
Making great progress guys, hope to give you more information either before Christmas break or in early January.

Reply #77 Posted: December 07, 2012, 12:45:19 pm

@simcore
You Suck @ Counter-Strike

New Zealand\'s most capped WCG representative 2003-201

Offline scoffyburito

• I Posted!
  • scoffyburito has no influence.
Hi all
So I've been using the steam-limiter and the hard firewall rules but they both haven't worked. I've just checked my usage meters and my multiple steam downloads have been metered and I'm over my limit :upset: Has there been some change so these two techniques don't work anymore as I thought they should work?

Reply #78 Posted: December 30, 2012, 07:07:10 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: scoffyburito;1513087
Hi all
So I've been using the steam-limiter and the hard firewall rules but they both haven't worked. I've just checked my usage meters and my multiple steam downloads have been metered and I'm over my limit :upset: Has there been some change so these two techniques don't work anymore as I thought they should work?

What games were you downloading?  Are they HTTP only?
http://www.getsome.co.nz/showthread.php?81579-NEW-List-of-HTTP-delivered-titles-NOT-available-on-the-TCL-Steam-Content-Server

Reply #79 Posted: December 30, 2012, 07:33:27 pm

Offline scoffyburito

• I Posted!
  • scoffyburito has no influence.
Quote from: BeNZene;1513089
What games were you downloading?  Are they HTTP only?
http://www.getsome.co.nz/showthread.php?81579-NEW-List-of-HTTP-delivered-titles-NOT-available-on-the-TCL-Steam-Content-Server

Yes all 3 are on that list sadly. If only I had seen that.
Shouldn't have the firewall rules or steamlimiter blocked it?
EDIT: Just saw that the steamlimiter 'Filter Content Servers' box wasn't ticked. That explains half of it
Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:07:42 pm by scoffyburito

Reply #80 Posted: December 30, 2012, 07:37:55 pm

Offline Jacksonator36

• I Posted!
  • Jacksonator36 has no influence.
okay, im pretty sure everything on steam is delivered by http now. I have tried so many games without avail this week. :(

Reply #81 Posted: December 31, 2012, 09:18:23 am

Offline Mongo

• I Posted!
  • Mongo has no influence.
Yeah +1 for that, no luck with the 6 games i bought in the Steam sales. I downloaded first 1 and that got me capped which brought me to this thread. I was wondering why all of the games i bought from Steam were counting against my data but this explains it well. Hope Steam throws you something you can work with Simcore.

Reply #82 Posted: January 01, 2013, 08:24:40 pm

Offline Citysoldier

• Just settled in
At this point Telstra should remove the advertising of unmetered steam.  There may be what 5% of games that are unmetered and they would be games people have or will never get.  Of course I made up that percentage but the point stands.  For people who do not search or do not visit these forums, they will hit their cap and have to pay stupid amounts for over usage.  As much as we all like the idea of unmetered steam it is just not happening at the moment.  Once it is sorted then advertise it again when ever that time may be.

Reply #83 Posted: January 02, 2013, 12:31:41 pm

Offline The Butcher

• I Posted!
  • The Butcher has no influence.
Quote from: Citysoldier;1513328
At this point Telstra should remove the advertising of unmetered steam.  There may be what 5% of games that are unmetered and they would be games people have or will never get.  Of course I made up that percentage but the point stands.  For people who do not search or do not visit these forums, they will hit their cap and have to pay stupid amounts for over usage.  As much as we all like the idea of unmetered steam it is just not happening at the moment.  Once it is sorted then advertise it again when ever that time may be.

I agree. Here is a list of the games currently on the old content servers.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3025212
Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:10:02 pm by The Butcher

Reply #84 Posted: January 04, 2013, 03:06:47 pm

Offline simcore

• Addicted
Could you direct me to any advertising that you feel makes this situation unclear? We have made changes late last year to address this but happy to take further action if it is still confusing to customers.

Reply #85 Posted: February 18, 2013, 10:34:15 am

@simcore

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Everyone playing 1.6 is confused >.>

Reply #86 Posted: February 18, 2013, 02:23:10 pm

Offline simcore

• Addicted
Quote from: Nostargate;1518398
Everyone playing 1.6 is confused >.>

Can you elaborate on that? Confused by what? :>

Reply #87 Posted: February 18, 2013, 06:02:40 pm

@simcore

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Quote from: simcore;1518429
Can you elaborate on that? Confused by what? :>

Clearly a rhetorical question. :|

Reply #88 Posted: February 18, 2013, 06:10:03 pm

Offline Vitriol

• Just settled in
  • Vitriol has no influence.
Quote from: simcore;1511007
Making great progress guys, hope to give you more information either before Christmas break or in early January.

So uh, how is that going?

Reply #89 Posted: February 23, 2013, 01:18:36 pm

Offline simcore

• Addicted
Honestly, just hit a delay wall due to a changing environment with the TelstraClear/Vodafone merger.

Not bad news, just put to the back of the list of priorities until it can be sorted out, still in contact :)

Reply #90 Posted: February 26, 2013, 03:47:31 pm

@simcore

Offline Nigel Bree

• I Posted!
  • Nigel Bree has no influence.
For anyone interested, during the last few days the old TelstraClear steam server had its DNS name vanish, but I was pleased to discover it is now named steam.cdn.vodafone.co.nz and unlike the Telstra server which had HTTP access firewalled, this now allows HTTP downloads.

I have just released a new version of Steam-limiter (v0.7) which supports this server and over the weekend during my testing I was able to download several games over HTTP and verified that they did not count against my metered data usage.

I haven't yet changed the recognition of this to specifically call out Vodafone as a group since absent an official announcement there's no way of knowing whether this is unmetered for the other Vodafone broadband customers, but for ex-TelstraClear customers like me it definitely is. I'll add in any other Vodafone customer ASNs as and when there's some official announcement of support for unmetered download for those customers, but in the meantime it does all appear to be working fine. Be nice if it'd been up during the Steam sale, but given that basically every other ISP in New Zealand has discontinued their Steam servers, this is a welcome development.

Reply #91 Posted: August 05, 2013, 06:57:27 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Nigel Bree;1529550
For anyone interested, during the last few days the old TelstraClear steam server had its DNS name vanish, but I was pleased to discover it is now named steam.cdn.vodafone.co.nz and unlike the Telstra server which had HTTP access firewalled, this now allows HTTP downloads.

I have just released a new version of Steam-limiter (v0.7) which supports this server and over the weekend during my testing I was able to download several games over HTTP and verified that they did not count against my metered data usage.

I haven't yet changed the recognition of this to specifically call out Vodafone as a group since absent an official announcement there's no way of knowing whether this is unmetered for the other Vodafone broadband customers, but for ex-TelstraClear customers like me it definitely is. I'll add in any other Vodafone customer ASNs as and when there's some official announcement of support for unmetered download for those customers, but in the meantime it does all appear to be working fine. Be nice if it'd been up during the Steam sale, but given that basically every other ISP in New Zealand has discontinued their Steam servers, this is a welcome development.

Sweeeeeeet

Reply #92 Posted: August 05, 2013, 07:35:10 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Sounds good but I've personally found bigger caps have solved the problem for me. I have to go finding games to download just to make use of my cap.

Reply #93 Posted: August 05, 2013, 07:38:15 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: .osiRiS;1529556
Sounds good but I've personally found bigger caps have solved the problem for me. I have to go finding games to download just to make use of my cap.

You sir, are not spending enough during steam sales!

Reply #94 Posted: August 05, 2013, 07:40:48 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: .osiRiS;1529556

Same here. No longer really come close to finishing my cap, so my worries over unmetered steam are long gone.

Reply #95 Posted: August 05, 2013, 10:25:19 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Lias;1529557
You sir, are not spending enough during steam sales!

How much do you have to spend to reach an unlimited cap?

Reply #96 Posted: August 06, 2013, 08:02:46 am

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Interesting how within 2 years we have gone from caring about Steam bandwidth to not giving a shit. :D

Reply #97 Posted: August 06, 2013, 08:41:10 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Have biggest possible cap on vodafone cable (150gb) hit cap every month.

Simcore needs to get some farking unlimited cable up in this shizzle for me.

Reply #98 Posted: August 12, 2013, 03:12:37 pm

Offline Citysoldier

• Just settled in
Quote from: Nigel Bree;1529550

Yeah I just installed steam limiter again with latest update.  Didn't think there was much point after new pc build so only just reinstalled.  Appears to be working.  Wish I installed it earlier.  Thanks for that and hope it will work for everything.  Lots of huge downloads to get through

Reply #99 Posted: September 11, 2013, 08:16:36 am