Topic: Learning Guitar.

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
  • nzjeebs has no influence.
Any suggestions as to which songs i should try learn? Im newish so its got to be moderatly easy and Rock n Roll, Blues or Country style (Think The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry)

At the moment i know (and yes i realise these are really easy songs)
Down on the corner - Credence Clearwater Revival
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Some of duelling banjos (From deliverence)
Sunshine of your love - Cream

Also, wouldnt mind learning songs with this kinda sound (acoustic blues)

Posted: December 03, 2007, 01:33:32 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
I just learnt Plug In Baby by Muse - good song for getting the whole 4-finger thing on the fretboard sussed (I'm a defective player - I don't use my little finger much when playing bass, so trying to fix that).

Reply #1 Posted: December 03, 2007, 04:14:49 pm

Offline Aezra

• Devoted Member
  • Aezra has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;605725
I just learnt Plug In Baby by Muse - good song for getting the whole 4-finger thing on the fretboard sussed (I'm a defective player - I don't use my little finger much when playing bass, so trying to fix that).

Me too :(  Wish I'd had been a bit more diligent with scales and so forth back in the day. All it really means is that it's a lot harder to shred up a storm. So yeah, make sure you stick with it, means more practise but it'll pay off heaps in the long run.

Also, I started by picking a song that I really loved but
 sounded fairly simple, grabbed the tabs off the net, grabbed the CD and just jammed that song over and over until I got it down. Then I chose another by a different artist and did the same thing. That way you learn different chord progressions ( even if you don't know which chords you're actually playing :P ) and can slowly start to improvise as well :bigglasse

Just for reference I use http://www.ultimate-guitar.com for my tabs. It's a pretty decent general guitar website as well with news and reviews, a forum etc.

Reply #2 Posted: December 03, 2007, 06:51:07 pm

Offline SUPA_maori_BRO

• Devoted Member
  • SUPA_maori_BRO has no influence.
'The John butler trio' should be on your list chief. John Butlers gat skills is just the sex.

Reply #3 Posted: December 03, 2007, 06:56:51 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
im gonna try learn televators by the mars volta tonight...

Reply #4 Posted: December 03, 2007, 07:21:27 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Obbles

• Obbles has no influence.
This song is quite easy to learn

[video]QjA5faZF1A8[/video]

Reply #5 Posted: December 03, 2007, 08:27:34 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
There's heaps of these guitar lesson vids on youtube.

Dust in the Wind

Reply #6 Posted: December 03, 2007, 08:48:45 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Quote from: Fragin';605945
There's heaps of these guitar lesson vids on youtube.

Dust in the Wind

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/3623/blue0xl.jpg
Learning Guitar.

Reply #7 Posted: December 03, 2007, 08:51:48 pm

Offline Cruzin

• Just settled in
  • Cruzin has no influence.
Start with the basics mate, stuff like Enter Sandman and One by Metallica.

Reply #8 Posted: December 03, 2007, 09:02:23 pm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bobziolla

• Addicted
  • bobziolla has no influence.
Quote from: Cruzin;605958
Start with the basics mate, stuff like Enter Sandman and One by Metallica.

lol.

Reply #9 Posted: December 03, 2007, 09:05:39 pm
One cool cat :orange:

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
Jesus did anyone actually READ my first post? Rock n Roll is not muse or metalica lol...I even gave examples of bands. I know where to find tabs im looking for suggestions on what songs to learn (in the genre of Rock n Roll, Blues or country.

Also hori, war in movies is awesome...some of the only decent movies are based on war and killing (Pulp Fiction, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket)

I dont care if you dont like my music so dont tell me if you do. Just looking for song suggestions from people who know this kind of music. Dont want to get into an argument about how much modern music sucks...infact il make a new thread for that.

Reply #10 Posted: December 03, 2007, 09:13:26 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline enile8

• Devoted Member
  • enile8 has no influence.
This guy does some good video lesson's.

This first song I learnt was Wish you were here. And the second was purple haze.

Reply #11 Posted: December 04, 2007, 08:17:47 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: NZJeebs;605967
Jesus did anyone actually READ my first post? Rock n Roll is not muse or metalica lol...I even gave examples of bands. I know where to find tabs im looking for suggestions on what songs to learn (in the genre of Rock n Roll, Blues or country.

Also hori, war in movies is awesome...some of the only decent movies are based on war and killing (Pulp Fiction, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket)

I dont care if you dont like my music so dont tell me if you do. Just looking for song suggestions from people who know this kind of music. Dont want to get into an argument about how much modern music sucks...infact il make a new thread for that.

fuck sake...i just wrote a massive post on modern rock n roll and how it's still there a wee bit but then realised this was the learn guitar thread not the modern music thread...screw you and your similar threads jeebs!

Reply #12 Posted: December 04, 2007, 10:09:47 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
For a computer literate guitar noobie, I would thoroughly recommend Guitar Pro. It's only $59 USD, and you can find literally thousands and thousands of tabs for it for free.

I recently was shown this piece of software, and am pretty blown away by it, and the price is really awesome. I used to go to School of Audio Engineering and similar programmes would cost thousands. Guess things have changed since then, but I really think it's a worthwhile investment for someone that is wanting to learn the guitar.

Download the trial anyway, see what you think.

http://www.guitar-pro.com

Reply #13 Posted: December 04, 2007, 10:24:21 am

Offline enile8

• Devoted Member
  • enile8 has no influence.
Quote from: Templar;606254
For a computer literate guitar noobie, I would thoroughly recommend Guitar Pro. It's only $59 USD, and you can find literally thousands and thousands of tabs for it for free.

I recently was shown this piece of software, and am pretty blown away by it, and the price is really awesome. I used to go to School of Audio Engineering and similar programmes would cost thousands. Guess things have changed since then, but I really think it's a worthwhile investment for someone that is wanting to learn the guitar.

Download the trial anyway, see what you think.

http://www.guitar-pro.com

+Rep always wondered how you look at the guitar pro tabs on Ultimate Guitar etc.

Reply #14 Posted: December 04, 2007, 12:45:29 pm

Offline MrBurNZ

• Devoted Member
  • MrBurNZ barely matters.MrBurNZ barely matters.
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;605887
im gonna try learn televators by the mars volta tonight...

Awesome song. Tough to learn though, hope you have a good ear for it.

Reply #15 Posted: December 04, 2007, 02:13:38 pm
BF3 = MrBoourNZ

Offline [tsw].Forsaken

• Just settled in
  • [tsw].Forsaken has no influence.
If you are newsish to guitar try learning Smoke on the Water (the riff makes you feel like a rock star). thats if you have an electric guitar.

For classical...mmm...can't think of any right now. I'm half way through Ocean by John Butler but thats definetily not a starters song. Though one song that I LOVE TO PLAY is from a japanese dude I can't remember...

OH!! here it is....enjoy. Only thing annoying about it is that you need to tune your guitar differently for this.

[video]bvkmosEt_RM[/video]

Reply #16 Posted: December 05, 2007, 06:39:01 am

Offline Snoopy

• Just settled in
  • Snoopy has no influence.
Quote from: (oga).Forsaken;606785
Though one song that I LOVE TO PLAY is from a japanese dude I can't remember...

GUITAR WOLF!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #17 Posted: December 05, 2007, 08:38:20 am
[SIGPIC]http://forums.iconzarena.com/signaturepics/sigpic5034_1.gif[/SIGPIC]

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
  • DEATH0WL has no influence.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;605725

Me and my mate just learnt that too!!!

Well...

Learn Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. It's not that hard. I know everything except the solo and it's really not the hardest thing in the world to learn.

+1 for Guitar Pro. Best program ever! Along with using UltimateGuitar.com for tabs. Avoid the forums, mostly teenage guitarists: very chatty but weird as fuck!

Don't put off songs using all four fingers. That's a very common mistake that I luckily avoided. Only being playing maybe 7 or 8 months myself.

Reply #18 Posted: December 09, 2007, 05:55:52 pm

Offline qwerty4me

• Just settled in
  • qwerty4me has no influence.
If your into classic rock, Back in Black is awesome to learn. The bend on the second fret might kill your fingers, if they haven't hardened all ready. But work on it, its a pretty cool song to play.

Also, Detroit Rock City by Kiss is quite cool.

Reply #19 Posted: December 09, 2007, 08:58:18 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Learn this one :D

[video]0jgrCKhxE1s[/video]

Okay um what about Green Day - Time of you life? Or aren't you into finger picking etc. Well I suppose you can finger pick or strum. I play drums, but I picked this song up quite easily on guitar fingerpicking and strumming

[video]VXXQK59wD9c[/video]

Reply #20 Posted: December 09, 2007, 09:14:26 pm
snprkd

Offline nzjeebs

• Addicted
Quote from: snprkdFACE;610097
Learn this one :D

http://www.youtube.com/v/0jgrCKhxE1s&rel=1">

Take the code at the end of the youtube links (so for http://www.youtube.com/v/0jgrCKhxE1s&rel=1 the code is 0jgrCKhxE1s&rel=1)

then put it inside these  so it will turn out like this:

Reply #21 Posted: December 09, 2007, 09:16:22 pm
aka Jeebs

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Quote from: NZJeebs;610100
Take the code at the end of the youtube links (so for http://www.youtube.com/v/0jgrCKhxE1s&rel=1 the code is 0jgrCKhxE1s&rel=1)

then put it inside these  so it will turn out like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s&rel=1

Yeah I figured just after I had posted. Thanks though

Reply #22 Posted: December 09, 2007, 09:17:46 pm
snprkd

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
What songs can you play already?

Reply #23 Posted: December 09, 2007, 10:44:25 pm

Offline DEATH0WL

• Addicted
Reading this thread makes me wonder about how many guitarists there are on Iconz...

What's everybody learning right now? I'm learning Everlong acoustic - my first acoustic song!

Find some songs to learn Jeebs?

Reply #24 Posted: December 13, 2007, 11:13:10 pm