Poll

Do you help the axis of Game Piracy turn?

No, i hold a lot of respect for game developers.
16 (19.8%)
Occasionaly, just to trial it before i buy.
35 (43.2%)
Yes, but not very much. My cap doesn't allow it.
16 (19.8%)
Hell yeah, my entire catalogue is pirated.
14 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 337

Topic: Game Piracy.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I've been stung by some ultra shit indy film game crossover crap on steam.
Fucking thing was nothing more than a flash slideshow.
Apparently it won awards. Must have been dished out by emo hipsters.

I'd have gotten my money back if I could've. Hell I'd even just go for never having it come up in my library ever again. But instead it's forever stuck there as a reminder that I epicly failed and paid money for a flash game ON STEAM.
Actually no, I'd not like to just hide it from my library list, because I'd still know that it's there. I'd prefer to purge all reference to the fact that I ever paid money for it. (So far as Steam goes).

Reply #100 Posted: July 06, 2012, 07:22:07 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1493003
I've been stung by some ultra shit indy film game crossover crap on steam.
Fucking thing was nothing more than a flash slideshow.
Apparently it won awards. Must have been dished out by emo hipsters.

I have to know what game this is! I found Auditorium, but it cant be that game.

The Mighty Ape sale I got a whole bunch of games from were selling them for about $10 with free shipping. You can get them on steam as well, but I like games to have boxes.

Oddly enough the games I bought did not include instructions.

Reply #101 Posted: July 06, 2012, 11:42:55 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
something like "injury" or "carwreck" or the like.

User manuals are usually packaged as a PDF on the physical media these days (or downloaded with the digital media).
Games bascially come in this stupidly oversized box for even less of a reason than they used to. Even the DVD style cases are OTT when you think about it. Usually only 1 disc. And at about 1/4 the size of your average USB drive these days. Imagine if USB drives came with ROM instead of a flash chip. That would be cool. Then us oldies could blow into the adaptor end of the drive before putting it into the USB slot for nostalgia's sake :P

Ah yeah, I remember.
"Trauma".
Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:53:33 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #102 Posted: July 06, 2012, 11:47:07 pm

Offline Pyromanik

On the other hand I've bought some seemingly cool looking games that I've never been able to play.
You might be interested Tiwa, turn based strategy seems to be your thing.

Greed Corp.

Reply #103 Posted: July 06, 2012, 11:57:15 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1493060
On the other hand I've bought some seemingly cool looking games that I've never been able to play.
You might be interested Tiwa, turn based strategy seems to be your thing.

Greed Corp.

Actually a friend of mine showed me a steam game which looked amazing to me:
SpaceChem

It is basically a chemistry game where you create molecules from elements and use factories to create products and stuff.
Totally reminded me of the surprisingly easy to cheat Programming Game: Manufactoria
http://www.kongregate.com/games/PleasingFungus/manufactoria

p.s I've completed manufactoria by cheating.

SpaceChem is very similar to one of my database projects, except I was doing things like
Cotton -> Cloth
Cloth -> Turban
Wood -> Gun Stock
2 x Iron + Coal -> Steel
Steel -> Gun Barrel
Gun Stock + Gun Barrel -> AK47
AK47 + Turban -> Terrorist.

Reply #104 Posted: July 07, 2012, 12:22:27 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: PrinceTuiTeka;1492973
I think you are missing the point that from time to time on selected games, steam does already do this.

Plus, what is the difference between dl it via steam then cracking it as opposed to using a torrent program. Pirates will pirate regardless.
No I understand that, but only multiplayer games that require online verification, they don't do it for single player games AFAIK. Yes pirates will pirate, especially if you give your new release to them free.

Reply #105 Posted: July 07, 2012, 11:11:48 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1493064
Actually a friend of mine showed me a steam game which looked amazing to me:
SpaceChem

It is basically a chemistry game where you create molecules from elements and use factories to create products and stuff.
Totally reminded me of the surprisingly easy to cheat Programming Game: Manufactoria
http://www.kongregate.com/games/PleasingFungus/manufactoria

SapceChem is not a chemistry game, it's a puzzle game with a sci-fi chemistry theme.

It's awesome.

Reply #106 Posted: July 07, 2012, 08:46:36 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1493091
No I understand that, but only multiplayer games that require online verification, they don't do it for single player games AFAIK. Yes pirates will pirate, especially if you give your new release to them free.

So the pirates excuess to pirate games is because there is no way for a pirate to play the game before they buy it.

But if the pirates were given the option to play it before buying it, they will still pirate it because it's easier.

So what's your point?

Pirates will pirate regardless. I see this as an option for people like me (and a large majority of others), who would like to try out a game (as in a time trial) without having to pay full price for it. We shouldn't get punished because of dickhead pirates.

Reply #107 Posted: July 07, 2012, 08:54:43 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Hmm so game makers, and distributors should ignore the existence of pirates, and release all games without protection, for your convenience.

You are getting punished? Howso, you enjoyed very limited generosity, if thats not extended to all titles, as you seem to expect, you feel punished? A little childish and greedy aren't you ?

The pirates excuse? What excuse, no excuse was ever given. They pirate simply because they can.

Reply #108 Posted: July 08, 2012, 02:09:52 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
I pirate because I enjoy adventure on the high seas.

Reply #109 Posted: July 08, 2012, 03:12:37 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
I'm in it for the rum, and  wenchs.

Reply #110 Posted: July 08, 2012, 04:48:29 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1493199
I'm in it for the rum, and  wenchs.

And somewhere in that Crowd is a very intoxicated Demon Lord

Reply #111 Posted: July 09, 2012, 08:33:55 am

Offline Pyromanik

Came across this the other day and I thought it was a very very cool approach to the whole thing.
http://keyserver.linuxgamepublishing.com/about.php

I like the part where if you share it out, whoever you share it to can turn around and fuck you over. Put the onus back on the user.

Reply #112 Posted: July 09, 2012, 10:23:10 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
Too bad all those games are a decade old.

Reply #113 Posted: July 10, 2012, 12:22:35 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Haven't you heard, retro is back *sixties dance

Reply #114 Posted: July 10, 2012, 12:32:51 am

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Black Heart;1493374
Too bad all those games are a decade old.

I wasn't looking at the games.
I like the anti piracy system.

Although if that keyserver ever fails... :S

Reply #115 Posted: July 10, 2012, 06:43:01 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1493269
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LIZrHUPSzE

And somewhere in that Crowd is a very intoxicated Demon Lord

Alestorm fuck yeah, also I am insanely jealous you have been to Wacken.. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your genitals ;-P

Reply #116 Posted: July 10, 2012, 06:59:00 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Lias;1493493
Alestorm fuck yeah, also I am insanely jealous you have been to Wacken.. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your genitals ;-P

Wacken was Awesome - I wish I had the money to go back but Alas Weddings are pricey and so is Flights to Germany :(

Reply #117 Posted: July 11, 2012, 08:19:26 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Black Heart;1493178
Hmm so game makers, and distributors should ignore the existence of pirates, and release all games without protection, for your convenience.

You are getting punished? Howso, you enjoyed very limited generosity, if thats not extended to all titles, as you seem to expect, you feel punished? A little childish and greedy aren't you ?

The pirates excuse? What excuse, no excuse was ever given. They pirate simply because they can.

I found an interesting article when trying to find a DVD Player that has HDMI Input
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9870317-1.html
Why don't video recorders have HDMI inputs? by John P. Falcone | February 22, 2008 5:00 AM PST

It's a great question. High-Definition Multimedia Interface provides the advantage of passing a high-bandwidth all-digital high-definition video and audio signal on a single cable, as opposed to the tangle of component video plus audio cables that were required for HD. (If those terms are Greek to you, check out the connectivity section of the CNET TV Buying Guide.) HDMI is now the standard connector for HDTVs and all of the HD-capable components that connect to them--DVD players and recorders, DVRs, game consoles, Blu-ray and HD DVD players, and even camcorders and PCs. But all of those are video sources that only have HDMI outputs. You'll find HDMI inputs only on AV receivers, HDMI switchers, and--of course--TVs. So, why the disparity?

Not surprisingly, the dearth of HDMI inputs on recording devices is by design. The HDMI specification includes a copy-protection scheme known as High-Definition Copy Protection. So to use HDMI (and get the snazzy HDMI certification logo on your device), manufacturers need to ensure that their products are HDCP-compliant. That pretty much means that HDMI inputs are limited to display devices (TVs) and repeaters (AV receivers and switchers). Those repeaters are so-called "passthrough" devices--they can do little more than pass the HD video signal onto the next device (invariably, the TV). But, by definition, that HDCP-encoded video signal is designed to be unrecordable. That's why there are no recorders with an HDMI input. (You won't find HDMI inputs on Slingbox products for the same reason.)

So what's the alternative? Recorders with component video inputs are few and far between: Philips had component-in on its otherwise lackluster DVD recorders in years past, as did Sony on at least one model--but both companies have since dropped the feature. The upcoming Hauppauge video encoder supposedly can accept and process 1080p video via its component inputs. Likewise, several Slingbox models (as well as competing placeshifting products from Sony, Monsoon/HAVA, and Pinnacle) can accept component video--including HD streams--and pass it through to a TV or AV receiver. However, for recording you're pretty much stuck either with "closed box" HD DVRs or utilizing the so-called analog hole: the composite or S-Video output from your DVR, cable, or satellite box will still output an analog video signal--not in high-definition, of course--that's easily recordable. Which is why they're the only two inputs you'll find on your DVD recorder. (Speaking of which: make sure you use S-Video in--the quality is noticeably better than composite.)

The irony here, as usual, is that honest users who just want more convenience, better quality, and fewer wires are the losers--even as digital piracy remains as rampant as ever (thanks to PC-based recording, not set-top recorders). Still, don't expect Hollywood studios or electronics manufacturers to change their tune on this one. For the same reason, I wouldn't hold my breath for a set-top Blu-ray recorder in North America anytime soon (despite the fact that they've long been available in Japan).

You learn quite alot about Component/Composite/S-Video/Coaxial/HDMI cabling when you try to plug anything modern into an old RCA Crt TV
Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:26:53 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #118 Posted: January 05, 2013, 11:26:19 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1513639
You learn quite alot about Component/Composite/S-Video/Coaxial/HDMI cabling when you try to plug anything modern into an old RCA Crt TV
Or research if it's possible to adapt a plug to go into the RCA or S-Video inputs on your TV from your Sega Mega Drive 2 because analog tuning is going the way of the dinosaur.

Reply #119 Posted: January 06, 2013, 01:52:00 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Pyromanik;1513650
Or research if it's possible to adapt a plug to go into the RCA or S-Video inputs on your TV from your Sega Mega Drive 2 because analog tuning is going the way of the dinosaur.

Apparently you can buy the MX HDMI to AV Converter (http://mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=5471)

However, check out this bad boy:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Power-Universal-Output-Cables/dp/B0078QOXJI

With a connector to Wii, Xbox360, or PS3 and outputs to Component, Composite, or S-Video

I am pretty sure I will be using the Universal Output Cable to pirate many a Hollywood Movie. Thanks Hollywood!

Reply #120 Posted: January 06, 2013, 07:48:18 am

Offline Pyromanik

set top boxes: the worst thing for the industry since the VCR.
True story.

Reply #121 Posted: January 06, 2013, 10:08:04 am

Offline Tiwaking!

What the hell is this? People pirated World of Goo?
Why would you do such a thing?

Jimquisition: When Piracy Becomes Theft

Reply #122 Posted: August 15, 2014, 07:39:14 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
highlights how much better torrents are than steam. or how shit people are, or maybe a bit of both.

Reply #123 Posted: August 15, 2014, 08:51:59 am

Offline pop

• Addicted
  • pop barely matters.pop barely matters.
some games just arent worth paying for

Reply #124 Posted: August 15, 2014, 10:34:42 am