Topic: Solar Eclipse - 14th November

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I was able to see it before not using my solar glasses, the cloud cover was enough to block out most of the light, yet still allow me to see the esclipe.

I don't recommend it though.

Reply #25 Posted: November 14, 2012, 09:54:48 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Yeah it you put sunglasses in and wait for some light cloud you can look straight at it.

Nothing like seeing it with your own eyes. Even if it is the last thing you ever see.

Reply #26 Posted: November 14, 2012, 10:03:09 am

Offline LeadCollector

• Game Server Admin
  • LeadCollector has no influence.
Pretty awesome already and still a wee while until we hit the 89% mark

Reply #27 Posted: November 14, 2012, 10:16:16 am

Quote from: Spork;1411842
Your face won\'t make top four!

Offline SLAYER!@#

• Addicted
  • SLAYER!@# has no influence.
My eyes!

Reply #28 Posted: November 14, 2012, 10:27:42 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: SLAYER!@#;1508710
My eyes!

ze goggles, they do nothing!

Reply #29 Posted: November 14, 2012, 10:31:37 am

Offline varkk

• Just settled in
  • varkk has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1508704
I was able to see it before not using my solar glasses, the cloud cover was enough to block out most of the light, yet still allow me to see the esclipe.

I don't recommend it though.
Pretty much how it was here in Greymouth, was in an office with dark tinted windows and just happened to glance up at the right moment to see the silhouette of the sun partially covered by the moon projected on to the clouds. Then the clouds became too thick again.

Reply #30 Posted: November 14, 2012, 11:20:00 am

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Did the old cardboard pin hole trick learnt in primary school, very clear crescent around 10:40 here in welly, pretty cool.

Reply #31 Posted: November 14, 2012, 11:43:56 am
- badfox

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
I'm imagining spacemonkey laying back having a cigarette right about now with a satisfied expression on his face..

Reply #32 Posted: November 14, 2012, 11:44:27 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
The clouds looked funny for a little bit

Reply #33 Posted: November 14, 2012, 11:47:06 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
forgot, didn't notice. Guess there will be another one.

Reply #34 Posted: November 14, 2012, 02:04:00 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Watched it through a welding helmet.

I'd rate it 87/100.

Reply #35 Posted: November 14, 2012, 04:15:34 pm

Offline LeadCollector

• Game Server Admin
  • LeadCollector has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart;1508754
forgot, didn't notice. Guess there will be another one.

You will have to wait until 22 July 2028 for a total eclipse of the Sun.  Even then it will be very low in the sky.  The path of totality passes over the South Indian Ocean, but this time enters north Australia and passes diagonally across the continent with Sydney on the centre line.  Having crossed the Tasman Sea, the path crosses the Southern part of the South Island with Dunedin in the centre of the path.  The eclipse will occur there at about 4.15 pm and the Sun will only be about 8.5° above the horizon.

There are two further total eclipses for New Zealand within a decade, in 2037 and 2038. In addition annular eclipses cross the country in 2035, 2042 and 2045.

http://rasnz.org.nz/Eclipses/solar.htm

Reply #36 Posted: November 14, 2012, 04:24:50 pm

Quote from: Spork;1411842
Your face won\'t make top four!

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
It was cool.

I took some photos with my phone. Will see if you can actually see anything on them.

Reply #37 Posted: November 14, 2012, 05:50:15 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
Was cloudy from 8-12 only got to see it at around 30%

Reply #38 Posted: November 14, 2012, 06:33:30 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Was asleep after night shift so was too buggared to care.

Reply #39 Posted: November 14, 2012, 06:54:31 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
I setup before 9ish however the sun was on the other side of my office so I had to relocate 'cept I couldn't be bothered doing this completely so I just chucked my camera over the other side on a little tripod with my 55-250mm lens (yes haha.. could've done with a good 1-200 extra mm's but I'm not made of money) and had it take a few shots over the course of the next couple of hours.

Had pretty much 1 usable shot no shit - all were either overexposed or just soooooooo much cloud cover you couldn't see shit :(

Here's the 'best' I managed :( hopefully I'll get a better shot with better equipment in 2028 haha.

Linked so you can see it in all its cloudy glory haha - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvsphotos/8184296009/sizes/h/in/photostream/
Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:09:11 pm by winter

Reply #40 Posted: November 14, 2012, 07:05:02 pm

Cool shot, clouds make it better imo

Reply #41 Posted: November 14, 2012, 07:49:49 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
That's the moon.

Reply #42 Posted: November 14, 2012, 08:01:10 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Quote from: Zarkov;1508806
That's the moon.

Bit of both eh.

Reply #43 Posted: November 14, 2012, 08:06:22 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
*holds out for 2037/8

Reply #44 Posted: November 14, 2012, 11:59:04 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
We got some blinds put up in the office. At about 10:30 the boss exclaims "fuck it's dark, it's weird with those blinds up"... little did he know that there was an eclipse. A pity I didn't remember until later :< While the blinds do indeed make the office darker, that's not what was making everything look weird, hehe.

I missed it due to being inside, and working, with no glasses... and also forgetting :<

Reply #45 Posted: November 15, 2012, 12:10:04 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I tried to see it but was unprepared and too busy at work.

but we did watch it going darkish outside too which was neat

Reply #46 Posted: November 15, 2012, 12:18:39 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Too bad guys.

Probably the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life, and will ever see ever again.

Ever.

Reply #47 Posted: November 15, 2012, 04:55:07 am

Quote from: BerG;1508855
and will ever see ever again.

Ever.

So Berg is now blind.

His movie reviews wont really be the same now.

Reply #48 Posted: November 15, 2012, 08:14:17 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Serves him right.

He should have used eye protection like the rest of us.

Reply #49 Posted: November 15, 2012, 04:09:48 pm