Topic: Working in ICT or similar

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Lots of you work in the computing industry or related. I'm thinking about retraining for a career shift, and since I have a life long, hobby level interest in computers, that's where I am looking. I have no major career aspirations, I work to live, not the other way around, so I am only aiming for a routine job with enough responsibility to make it engaging, but not so much I have to live the role. If I'm earning 50 - 70 K in today's terms I'd be happy.

So, what level of qualifications in the field would be needed to make that realistic? I have an exemplary 30 year work history that ticks all the boxes except proving specific skill sets, so do I need degree level qualifications for the kind of position I am aiming at? Or could I get away with diploma or even certificate level qualifications?

If anyone felt inclined to chat with me about the industry n more detail, PMs welcome ( pics optional )

Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:19:25 am

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
What do you want to do in ICT? It's such a large industry, you really need to narrow your focus. A very brief list of some of the different areas:

- Support
- Dev
- Testing
- Analysis
- Project Management
- Networking
- Systems

Degrees aren't necessary, I don't have one, and I'm a Senior Software Engineer.

As for money, most IT jobs will net you about 40K at entry level, and salary cap is what you make it. To put it in perspective, I was earning 70K after 1.5 years in professional work.
Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:15:47 am by Xenolightning

Reply #1 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:29:26 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Helpdesk, CSS, Implementation level in certain areas of IT will net 65-75k

Reply #2 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:43:51 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I think a one year diploma should be enough. Where I work they usually look for some kind of qualification, although experience is far more important.

If you are motivated then the technical skills should come easy.

If you know someone already in the industry, they could then recommend you for a position. (The company I work for is always looking for people, developers, testers etc)

Are you in Auckland?
Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:45:30 am by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Reply #3 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:43:51 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
I'm asking generalist questions here, helps me to focus it down. What's the most common type of work in the industry that generally matches the job shape I am looking for?

Transferable mid level skills that involve making systems or things do what they are supposed to.

Reply #4 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:48:47 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Your replies while I was typing have helped significantly. Thanks

Reply #5 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:49:43 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

I think a one year diploma should be enough. Where I work they usually look for some kind of qualification, although experience is far more important.

If you know someone already in the industry, they could then recommend you for a position. (The company I work for is always looking for people, developers, testers etc)

Are you in Auckland?

Nope to Auckland. I'm  In Christchurch

You've nailed one point there. I've got 30 years in the workforce, and pick things up fast. Once I bullshit my way into something I'd back myself to fill in any gaps pretty quick, and once someone is paying me, I take things pretty seriously. So the question is, what're the best bits of paper to wave around, to get me into the interview. ;p

Reply #6 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:54:41 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!

Are you in Auckland?

Nope to Auckland. I'm  In Christchurch

You've nailed one point there. I've got 30 years in the workforce, and pick things up fast. Once I bullshit my way into something I'd back myself to fill in any gaps pretty quick, and once someone is paying me, I take things pretty seriously. So the question is, what're the best bits of paper to wave around, to get me into the interview. ;p

chch drop  the salary 10k  55-65 with experience otherwise 45-55k  ask LIAS - heaps of experience but shit pay.

Reply #7 Posted: May 04, 2015, 11:00:58 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

50k be fine, if the job wasn't costing me any sleep and the workplace was pleasant. The wife works full time and the kids have left home so I've got it pretty sweet :D

Reply #8 Posted: May 04, 2015, 11:11:11 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
50k be fine, if the job wasn't costing me any sleep and the workplace was pleasant. The wife works full time and the kids have left home so I've got it pretty sweet :D

Run an internet cafe with a brothel above it..

Foreign Nerds who want to game and Nerds who need to get laid but cant pull on their own...

Reply #9 Posted: May 04, 2015, 11:18:58 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I'll reply in full later

Reply #10 Posted: May 04, 2015, 11:46:43 am

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
Cpit might have some kind of night courses to get you a piece of paper to wave under potential employers

Good luck with your new career.

Reply #11 Posted: May 04, 2015, 01:31:25 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Okay:

Do you Need a degree - no.
Would a degree be helpful - maybe:

Since you aren't a younger candidate, your lack of experiance may be held more against you - a company might take a punt with a young kid without a degree if they show promise, because they can pay them a small amount until they get to the point where they are worth something, at which point the work experiance gained is worth more than what a potential degree would have.

There are a bunch of Courses that you can do before you do a fullbown degree (MCSE, MCSA, CCNA etc. etc. etc.)

Making systems as a general rule is good, but it doesn't hold much weight passed working in a small IT shop (and dealling with 75 year olds trying to make 15 year old PCs work)

Pay in IT is good, I'm currently being underpaid by work (they owe me a pay rise, they know it, I know it) and I am still pushing the 60K bracket (once perks are factored in)

but as Xeno said - decide what you want to do - do you want to Code? Do you want to build Servers? Do you want to talk to people? Do you want to build cool networks? Do you want to sit on your arse all day, browsing gaming forums and writing emails? (sorry, this job is taken)

next question is are you prepared to work funny hours - if you get up to dealing with Servers and business (where the money is) then you must be prepared that when a server Shits itself at silly-o-clock in the morning - you are going to have to fix it.

Reply #12 Posted: May 04, 2015, 01:46:43 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Woo lets open a fixit shop and exploit hot young women.

Reply #13 Posted: May 04, 2015, 01:54:20 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline MrBurNZ

• Devoted Member
  • MrBurNZ barely matters.MrBurNZ barely matters.
Ill keep an eye out here, I'd take you over the pimply faced polytech graduates we have no end of trouble from.
Without experience I'd say get some piece of paper that says you know something and a desktop support role shouldnt be too hard to find.

Reply #14 Posted: May 04, 2015, 02:18:16 pm
BF3 = MrBoourNZ

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
TDL hit most of the key parts. You really need to find what you like. IT can be an awful place to work if you don't get some enjoyment out of it.

What kind of positions have you worked in/currently in?

Another easy way into IT is testing. You can do a couple of weeks in a testers course, learn a few things, and get an ISTQB qualification. It's a great way to get a foot in if you are interested in software.

Reply #15 Posted: May 04, 2015, 02:41:30 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Dr Woomanchu

The industry isn't a random thought. I've been mucking around with minor scripting, and system building and network setups etc etc since I was first exposed to the apple II our school had bought for the applied maths class.

I've only avoided it as a work option because  I've preferred to spend my work life being active. But I'm at the time of life when you reevaluate, and so the it field becomes more of an option.

I've managed businesses, and I'm an experienced and qualified dairy processor, Hospo owner, event manager, truck driver, logistics manager and a whooole bunch of other shit.

Now I'd like to work indoors more, largely business hours, in the kind of job where my problem solving skills and ability to get on with a wide range of people ( but not deal with them all fuckin day), and ability to work independently and exercise judgement without having to be the boss of a whole pile of people, can be put to use.

Strange hours occasionally are fine.

So what I am gaining from this thread is an appreciation of where I should drill down and look for opportunities. I appreciate the small insights I am getting into various job shapes.

Reply #16 Posted: May 04, 2015, 02:55:08 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
ENGINEERING AT CANTERBURY, 5 YEARS FULL TIME FUCKING HARD WORK, MAXIMUM MONEY AND ENJOYMENT.

codex has worked this one out.

edit: seriously, massive commitment. Doesn't sound like you're into it.

Reply #17 Posted: May 04, 2015, 06:31:40 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Degrees are worth nothing. Just get some kind of paper that say "I at least know what button does what". So a diploma or the like should be fine. Like Xeno said, experience is more what people are after.

Provided you can show logical problem solving skills along with ability and lust for learning, that should be enough.
But then on the other hand, that's not really how most employers think, so I dunno.

Beyond this it basically comes down to knowing if you like to code all day or not.

Reply #18 Posted: May 04, 2015, 08:50:49 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
just retire - kick back and relax and take it easy :)

failing that i would suggest a guest lecturing type role - passing on what its like in the real world would be great for students, who mostly only see student life and usually dont see the differences until they leave.

good luck Woohoo

Reply #19 Posted: May 04, 2015, 10:46:11 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I think with your skillset you could upskill to walk into an entry level field engineer type job pretty quickly.

Self study and sit 70-685, maybe add 70-680 or branch sideways and grab a CCENT/CCNA, CPIT do some CCNA classes at night(we might have stopped, cant see anything on the web currently), and vision college do a Saturday one

Reply #20 Posted: May 04, 2015, 11:20:55 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Places like Geeks on Wheels, Need a Nerd, etc would be a good place to start btw Woo, they often take people from other backgrounds coming into IT, as long as you have the people skills, because being a home based engineer it's a real important thing.

Reply #21 Posted: May 05, 2015, 11:38:25 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
The industry isn't a random thought. I've been mucking around with minor scripting, and system building and network setups etc etc since I was first exposed to the apple II our school had bought for the applied maths class.

What type of Scripting (*nix, Powershell etc.)

as what you have there is the basic building blocks of a junior Sysadmin - whats your Server knowledge like? are you familiar with things  like:

AD, DNS, Exchange, DHCP, permissions, Network shares, etc.

if not, I would strongly recommend learning those as this will give you a good grounding to talk to business and start - if you want to know more, download VMware/Virtual-Box/Install Hyper-V and  create yourself a virtual server and play with it.

Just trying to get that going will teach you heaps and put you in a good position when talking to potential employers.

Reply #22 Posted: May 05, 2015, 05:08:25 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Thank you all for the practical advice and insights. It has helped me clarify my thinking immensely

Reply #23 Posted: May 05, 2015, 06:58:11 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
FYI Woo, just got confirmation we DO do CCNA as a night course still. CCNA1 in Term1, CCNA2 in Term 2, CCNA3, in Term 3, CCNA4 in Term4, so if you want to do them all in a row at night you need to start in Feburary.

Reply #24 Posted: May 06, 2015, 03:11:06 pm