Topic: Crossfit thread

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

• Valvanite has no influence.
Is there anyone else doing this right now? Ive just completed my first month and simply love it.

I spent 10 months in Queenstown in there gym for 2 hours a day 5 days a week pumping iron and getting on the bike. But it bored the shit out of me and I wanted to incorporate a more social dynamic into it as well.

I enjoy high intensity cardio. I enjoy Olympic weightlifting. I enjoy climbing on ropes, Bars and pushing my body further and further each time.

Crossfit games are in one month. So ive started training to see how I do.

Im currently training at Frank brothers gym in Montreal street Christchurch.  For those that done know, Ken Franks the owner has two sons. Owen and Ben franks. Who regulary train there, among other all black and silver ferns also.

Also I get to see a lot of this when I workout.  Chcikl that can squat there body weight bro. Maaaan Ive never seen such sexy posterior chains and stomachs!

Posted: February 10, 2013, 09:01:20 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Hmm, I had not heard of this crossfit, but I also like climbing things.

Might have to work it into my Muay Thai schedule. Will see if theres any local classes...

Reply #1 Posted: February 10, 2013, 09:43:27 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I avoid Crossfit and people who do Crossfit like I avoid Christians and people who believe in Jesus.

Reply #2 Posted: February 10, 2013, 09:54:11 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I like the idea of crossfit. I first heard about it about 5 years back when some guy was first trying to bring it to CHC, I made a shitty little website for him but then he went tits up or something, not sure.
The idea is very cool, but the practicality... everyone doing their 'open source' type workouts seems to look like those chicks in that video, who have wider shoulders than most of the men I know.
Plus the 'open source' is all "use a medicine ball to do some shit you've never heard of, do 10 165Kg deadlifts - natrually finish your set, then do some other ludicrous shit that's impossible if you're starting out. More over, we're not going to give you any actual tips on how to do what you're doing so you'll develop bad form and fuck yourself forever".
They're all just 'come down to the gym and do it with us'... well actually no. Because 1, it's very intimidating, & 2, I cannot do it because I'm extremely out of shape.

It was at that point I realised that crossfit is not much different at all to any other marketing plan, where it's sole intention is to get people into the gym, and isn't in any way or form about sharing workouts and encouraging people to better themselves when they're too ashamed to start out by giving them a way to do things on their own.

So yeah. I like the idea, but hate gyms.
Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:17:08 am by Pyromanik

Reply #3 Posted: February 10, 2013, 11:12:53 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Jesu they musty have bveen terrible gyms you tried them at. To even further on with my gym I had to attend 3 elements classes where I was taught the fundamentals of correct form, respect for the body and basic understanding of what is in the workouts and how to approach each one.

To believe that the coaches just leave you to it is bullshit. Im constantly told off by my coaches and given tips when I am performing my routines in order to make sure I am not only doing the exersice in the most efficient way, but also to avoid any injury from bad form.  They constantly hover around shouting words of encouragment and checking on good form and that you are fully squatting or locking out the arms. If not, you start again.  The workouts can be scaled also, so you can lift as much or as little weight as you want. They just want to see that you're trying.

The gym I workout in doesnt even have any machines. We have some rowers. The rest is a jungle gym type of bars, some ropes hung from the ceiling and plenty of bars and weights that you can throw arouind.

It was at that point I realised that crossfit is not much different at all to any other marketing plan, where it's sole intention is to get people into the gym, and isn't in any way or form about sharing workouts and encouraging people to better themselves when they're too ashamed to start out by giving them a way to do things on their own.

you've a very closed mind idea about it in this respect. we spend most of our stuff in teams, either cheering each other on to further beter ones self, or congratulating anyone in the class no matter how small or big the achievment is.  Kinda the reason I joined, Bigger social aspect almost to the point of a community, and the ability to challenge ones peers to continue pushing.

Marekting however is almost true.  It didnt however get me in the gym, It made me get more out of it in more than 3 respects. However what way they did it to get people to exersice, it certainly cant be as bad as what some marketing campaigns will have yo buy into. ahem... apple
Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:48:38 pm by Valvanite

Reply #4 Posted: February 10, 2013, 04:46:12 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Seems like the image of Crossfit has changed in the last few years.

When I first encountered it it wasn't so commonly known, and was touting itself as "Open source fitness" ie. no gym required.
They'd basically just post a routine on their website and then ask for times to be posted in comments. Dangerous stuff if you don't know what you're doing. Let alone that most of it required gym equipment, so wasn't really all that 'open source' unless you were a trainer (using it for trainees) or an already seasoned gym bunny (following it on your own).

I imagine if you take the right approach (such as the one you have) it'd go all good.

Reply #5 Posted: February 10, 2013, 09:57:26 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Quote from: BerG;1517471
Hmm, I had not heard of this crossfit, but I also like climbing things.

Might have to work it into my Muay Thai schedule. Will see if theres any local classes...

google franks brothers, thts where I go. By far the best in chch

Reply #6 Posted: February 10, 2013, 10:13:34 pm

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Its shit like this that gives crossfit a bad rep.

Sadly a lot of places are doing this sort of crap, which is why I'm not too fond of it myself. Crossfits WOD basically pushes people to beat your previous best times and others times as well, so form a lot of the time goes out the window in order to get on the board, putting people in bad positions and risking injury.

Reply #7 Posted: February 10, 2013, 10:54:11 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Those dont look like the girls in the first video.

Reply #8 Posted: February 11, 2013, 04:40:49 am

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Quote from: pyro;1517582
Its $#@! like this that gives crossfit a bad rep.

Sadly a lot of places are doing this sort of crap, which is why I'm not too fond of it myself. Crossfits WOD basically pushes people to beat your previous best times and others times as well, so form a lot of the time goes out the window in order to get on the board, putting people in bad positions and risking injury.

Yes it is. This pains me to see. Snap city direct ticket. The weights on there bars are fucking rediculous.  Also what the fuck is a dog doing in the gym.

I feel much safer at my gym, purely because the same coaches that train me, Train the All blacks and a few Silver ferns that come in from time to time

Ok more girl videos then. Dana gets my muscles twitching too.  She would destroy any man in the sack I reckon, Tightening her vaginal muscles until it snaps off. Snap city bitch

Reply #9 Posted: February 11, 2013, 10:12:00 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
The idea of having people hang around you and clap and cheer you on just makes me cringe.

I like my solitude when I do weights.

Also, those weights are show pony weights. They look heavy as fuck but are probably closer to 5 - 10kg per disc.

Reply #10 Posted: February 11, 2013, 10:48:08 am

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Yeah guess its different strokes then. Its not like we all stand around one person while they lift. Everyone is lifting. But we do it in pairs for spotting.  Sometimes its not physical strentgh barriers one has to break through, Its a lot more mental. And to have half a dozen people yelling at you to pick up the fucking weight and it aint nothing could be all you need to lock out those legs or jerk that bar above your head.

Heres today WOD which I will have to complete. My class starts at 12:15

WOD - Today

11/02/13

Seven rounds for time of:
82kg (55kg)  Front squat, 7 reps
7 Chest-to-bar pull-ups.

Will post my results when I get home. I have a 3 hour hike to do after this workout as well. Its with a cute girl so I hope my legs dont give out near the top

Reply #11 Posted: February 11, 2013, 11:05:13 am

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Todays workout. was pretty brutal if you werwe doing the 82kg weights. My max clean of 3 reps is only 85kg. Meaning 7 reps of front squats would mean I would have to be doing 140kg 1 rep max to smash out 7.

I scaled it down and went for 45kg. Much easier and I wanted to finish.

Chest to bar is just like a pullup except you bring yourself up a little more and bang that chest on the bar.

Im monkeyman by the way. Theyve nicknamed me this because I like to swing around on the bars.

Reply #12 Posted: February 11, 2013, 02:34:03 pm

Offline Pyromanik

How does one not swing on bars?

Reply #13 Posted: February 11, 2013, 05:35:43 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

inorite

Reply #14 Posted: February 11, 2013, 06:17:24 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

I am currently competing in this. Me and 120,000 others worldwide., The workout is released on the crossfit website on thursday our time and we then rock on down to the gym on Saturday to compete.

This years first wod was a shock to us all. A killer workout that left a lot of us by the wayside.

40 Burpees
30 snatches at 35kg
30 burpees
30 snatches at 60kg
30 burpees
30 snatches at 75kg
20 burpees
As many snatches as you can at 95kg in the remaining time

This was a 17 min workout and was very tough. Especially for me who had only been oly lifting for the last 2 months. Snatching is a huge full body movement and getting 60kg above your head to lockout was incredibally difficult.  I was glad I had plenty of people by the sideline to yell and scream at me when I thought all was lost.

Heres a few pics of myself and the event.  Ill let you guess which one I am

Reply #15 Posted: March 11, 2013, 10:42:10 am

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
  • BigBoss has no influence.
A guy at my work is hard into his Crossfit Valv ... dunno if you have heard of him Zach Morton-Adair ... he is competing this year ... he smashed that WOD over the weekend, think hes in the top 5 so far in Australasia... hes rediculously fit and ripped haha

Reply #16 Posted: March 12, 2013, 07:09:16 am

BigBoss   -   SacrificialLamb   -   Snake™

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Oh fucking good on him! Yeah it was a tough workout so to be ranked that well is very impressive. I only managed to get three lifts at 60kg that the judge counted. After 60 burpees and 30 snatches at 35kg I didnt have much left. But im told me lifting 60kg with the rest of the big boys was an impressive effort considering most of the competitiors have been training for the past year and a bit and myself only 2 months.

Havent heard of your mate. where does he train? In oz or Nz?

Edit, I just checked his profile, Dammit hes impressive. 190 total reps for the first workout. 2nd in Australasia!  Tell him I said keep up the hard work. Thats awsome of him!
Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:06:58 am by Valvanite

Reply #17 Posted: March 12, 2013, 09:58:25 am

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
  • BigBoss has no influence.
He is insane aye, has so much self control with his eating, and trains religiously. He went to Australia last year to compete I think, so musta been doin it a couple years now. I went to a boot camp type thing through the Mount box at end of last year ... I vommed after haha. Big ups to all you guys!

Reply #18 Posted: March 12, 2013, 12:03:49 pm

BigBoss   -   SacrificialLamb   -   Snake™

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: pyro;1517582
Its shit like this that gives crossfit a bad rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-j3RoNBscY

Even people who don't exercise much and have never weightlifted (me) know that what they're doing is bullshit. Herp-derp 1 rep of far too much at super poor form. It's like a schoolboy pissing competiton. I AM 16 BROS LOOK AT HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT!

Reply #19 Posted: March 12, 2013, 05:33:55 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

what does this have to do with the open Pyro? Way to derail current news.

Im sorry Pyro. Tha wasnt cool of me. You're right however.

Todays Wod was Deadlift day.  A new Personal best for me 135kg!
Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:59:36 pm by Valvanite

Reply #20 Posted: March 12, 2013, 06:34:46 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Valvanite;1520482

Which Pyro? :<

I'm not saying that the wod is bad, just that one should be careful & know what they're doing. Obvious badness is really bad. It's not about who can lift so much, it's about self improvment. Just that sometimes the competitive aspect of the wod gets that aspect a bit lost.
Same thing the other Pyro is saying I think.

Reply #21 Posted: March 14, 2013, 06:51:32 pm

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Quote from: Valvanite;1520482

Grats on the deadlift PR.

Not that I do crossfit, but im looking forward to bulking up again, just about to finish my cut from 90kgs, down to 84 atm pretty lean.
Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:12:37 pm by pyro

Reply #22 Posted: March 14, 2013, 08:10:12 pm

Offline Valvanite

• ZUUUNE

Nice bro.

WE just got the next wod released for this Saturday

10 min amrap (as many reps as possible)

5 x over head press at 50kg
10 x Deadlift at 50kg
15 x boxjumps at 24"

I watched the two world champs do it this afternoon. They finished with rep totals of like 361.

Excited about this wod. I love Deads and boxjumps, so im going to smash this.  And with a 50kg I can pretty much touch and go

Reply #23 Posted: March 14, 2013, 10:51:06 pm

Offline AintNoMeInTeam

• Devoted Member
  • AintNoMeInTeam has no influence.
Nice work on the PR.
Its getting about time I go for another personal record on deadlifts. The other day I did 140kg x 5, 160kg x 4, 170kg x 3, 180kg x 3 and 190kg x 2.
My current deadlift PR is 200kg.

Doing high reps deadlift is hard; one of the few times i went for reps i got 120kg for 21, which I have no plans to do again.

Reply #24 Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:06:06 pm
Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes...there\'s too much fraternizing with the enemy.
-Henry Kissinger