Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;863649
That doesn't make sense.

You could say "It not necessary for the the universe to be a simulation", but that's meaningless.

Science can discover everything about the simulation apart from the fact that it is a simulation.

Unless i'm failing to see your point.

Simulation and god are very separate ideas.

If technology advances to the point where we know everything about the universe except for whether or not a god exists, then we can say "the universe does not require a god". Occam's razor would then point out that if the existence of god is superfluous to the requirements of the universe, then it is logical to assume that there is no god.

Reply #6150 Posted: January 05, 2009, 11:29:08 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
  • Dante has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;863651

If technology advances to the point where we know everything about the universe except for whether or not a god exists, then we can say "the universe does not require a god". Occam's razor would then point out that if the existence of god is superfluous to the requirements of the universe, then it is logical to assume that there is no god.

Except then that would logically lead to another remarkable predicament and yet another striking question, assuming one day a scientific theory can be proposed that accurately describes the unification of all the fundamental laws and phenomena of the entire physical Universe and exactly how they came into being, and that is: Why then are we able to so effectively understand, and describe the structure and interrelating features of the cosmos with our finite, minds and evolved cognitive thought? ...Surely that demands some kind of explanation?

It's that exact thing that scientists have been pondering since the very dawn of scientific discovery - it's incredible enough that the universe and structure of nature is coherent, comprehensible, rational and intelligible let alone that we have the ability to, and are privileged enough to understand it in such intricate detail! Don't you think? As I'm sure you are aware, or perhaps you just need reminding, one of the very reasons people actually believe in God is because of the fact that the the universe is such an intelligible and rational system, since God is believed to be both logical and rational it follows that God's creation too would be both logical, rational and comprehensible.

I wouldn't usually quote the Bible, but this passage from Romans 1:19-2 seems appropriate in this regard:

"since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

To say that: "god is superfluous to the requirements of the universe, then it is logical to assume that there is no god." is still intellectually unsatisfying for a whole lot of reasons. It has been said by some of the greatest scientists, Einstein, Stephen Hawking (and even this

string theorist dude) for example, that if a so-called Theory of Everything were to be discovered and explained by the scientific method, it would be the greatest scientific achievement for humanity for it would be equivalent to glimpsing into "the mind of God". Note; their words, not mine. You're taking the so-called "God of the gaps" argument to the absolute extreme borders slightly on the absurd and is something I would strongly disagree with. It might work against the literal biblical creationist people, but any intelligent and reasoned believer would most likely take issue with your supposition.

Reply #6151 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:14:51 am

Offline Dante

• Just settled in

Except then that would logically lead to another remarkable predicament and yet another striking question, assuming one day a scientific theory can be proposed that accurately describes the unification of all the fundamental laws and phenomena of the entire physical Universe and exactly how they came into being, and that is: Why then are we able to so effectively understand, and describe the structure and interrelating features of the cosmos with our finite, minds and evolved cognitive thought? ...Surely that demands some kind of explanation?

It's that exact thing that scientists have been pondering since the very dawn of scientific discovery - it's incredible enough that the universe and structure of nature is coherent, comprehensible, rational and intelligible let alone that we have the ability to, and are privileged enough to understand it in such intricate detail! Don't you think? As I'm sure you are aware, or perhaps you just need reminding, one of the very reasons people actually believe in God is because of the fact that the the universe is such an intelligible and rational system, since God is believed to be both logical and rational it follows that God's creation too would be both logical, rational and comprehensible.

I wouldn't usually quote the Bible, but this particular passage from Romans 1:19-2 seems appropriate in this regard:

"since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

To say that: "god is superfluous to the requirements of the universe, then it is logical to assume that there is no god." is still intellectually unsatisfying for a whole lot of reasons. It has been said by some of the greatest scientists, Einstein, Stephen Hawking (and even this

string theorist dude) for example, that if a so-called Theory of Everything were to be discovered and explained by the scientific method, it would be the greatest scientific achievement for humanity for it would be equivalent to glimpsing into "the mind of God". Note; their words, not mine. You're taking the so-called "God of the gaps" argument to the absolute extreme borders slightly on the absurd and is something I would strongly disagree with. It might work against the literal biblical creationist people, but any intelligent and reasoned believer would most likely take issue with your supposition.

Reply #6152 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:17:57 am

Offline Dante

• Just settled in

Except then that would logically lead to another remarkable predicament and yet another striking question, assuming one day a scientific theory can be proposed that accurately describes the unification of all the fundamental laws and phenomena of the entire physical Universe and exactly how they came into being, and that is: Why then are we able to so effectively understand, and describe the structure and interrelating features of the cosmos with our finite minds and evolved cognitive thought? ...Surely that demands some kind of explanation?

I wouldn't usually quote the Bible, but this particular passage from Romans 1:19-2 seems appropriate in this regard:

To say that: "god is superfluous to the requirements of the universe, then it is logical to assume that there is no god." is still intellectually unsatisfying for a whole lot of reasons. It has been said by some of the greatest physicists and cosmologists, Einstein, Stephen Hawking (and even this

string theorist dude) for example, that if a so-called Theory of Everything were to be discovered and explained by the scientific method, it would be the greatest scientific achievement for humanity for it would be equivalent to glimpsing into "the mind of God". Note; their words, not mine. You're taking the so-called "God of the gaps" argument to the absolute extreme borders slightly on the absurd and I would be intrigued to know your reasoning behind it. It might work against the literal biblical creationist people, but any intelligent and reasoned believer would most likely take issue with your supposition.

Reply #6153 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:21:39 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

The creators of the simulation would be Gods by definition. How are they separate ideas?

God is most often view of as the creator and overseer of the universe, Exactly what creator of a simulation would be.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but by my understand you are saying that if the universe does not require a god to run, it logical to assume that there is no god. I understand though that it would make no diffrence to assume that there is no God. However there is no advantage to it, and as you would be unable to convince others, it would only lead to more discussion on the subject.

If God created the universe so it would run independently without intervention, then of course it doesn't need a god to run. But it would be pointless assume there is no God, but it wouldn't matter if you did assume so.

Same came be said of a simulation, if it was only created by the simulators and not interfered with after that.
However you can't say "the universe is not required to be a simulation, thus it's logical to assume it's not a simulation". Well you could say that, but it wouldn't mean anything.

Occam's razor is flawed, it's obvious in many cases that the simplest solution is not the correct one. Occam's razor has no logical base, it's just a way of thinking. It's also flawed in the assumption of what is the 'simplest' solution. One could say "God did it' is far more simple then evolution, which is quite complex. However evolution is correct despite being complex, imo.

I also dislike the term logic and logical, everybody's logical is different, thus nothing can be argued logically.

Reply #6154 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:24:01 am

Offline Dante

• Just settled in

Except then that would logically lead to another remarkable predicament and yet another striking question, assuming one day a scientific theory can be proposed that accurately describes the unification of all the fundamental governing laws and phenomena of the entire physical Universe and exactly how they came into being, and that is: Why then are we able to so effectively describe, and understand the rational structure and interrelating features of the cosmos with our finite minds and evolved cognitive thought, so accurately and in such detail? ...Is that not surprising to you in any way at all?  Surely it demands some kind of explanation? What reason should the universe be ordered, and intelligible to us at all in the first place? No reason? Conceding that the Universe could be a completely self-contained system, which it could very well be, but with no further explanation required... might seem satisfying to a devoted adherent to a strictly (metaphysical?) materialist worldview, but somehow I don't think it will be satisfying to those seeking ultimate truth.

And it's that exact thing that scientists have been pondering since the very dawn of scientific discovery - it's incredible enough that the universe and structure of nature is relatively coherent, comprehensible, ordered and intelligible let alone that we have the ability to, and are privileged enough to understand it in such intricate detail! Don't you think? As I'm sure you are aware, or perhaps you just need reminding, one of the very reasons people actually believe in God is because of the fact that the the universe is such an intelligible and rational system, since what people refer to as God... is generally believed to be both logical and rational... it follows that God's creation too would be both logical, rational and comprehensible to reason.

To say that: "god is superfluous to the requirements of the universe, then it is logical to assume that there is no god." is still intellectually unsatisfying for a whole lot of reasons. It has been said by some of the greatest physicists and cosmologists, Einstein, Stephen Hawking (and even this

string theorist dude, Michio Kaku) for example, that if a so-called Theory of Everything were to be discovered and explained by the scientific method, it would be the greatest scientific achievement for humanity for it would be equivalent to glimpsing into "the mind of God". (Note; their words, not mine.) Your taking the so-called "God of the gaps" argument to the absolute extreme borders slightly on the absurd and I would be intrigued to know your reasoning behind it. It might work against the literal biblical creationist people, but any intelligent and reasoned believer will most likely take issue with your rather presumptuous supposition.

Reply #6155 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:24:24 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Welcome to the forums Dante.

Reply #6156 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:43:04 am

Offline Dante

• Just settled in
Quote from: Spacemonkey;863705

Quote from: Spacemonkey;863689
The creators of the simulation would be Gods by definition. How are they separate ideas?

I don't know what particular conception of God you are thinking of, but I do not know of any that equate to the idea of finite, individual creators of a "simulated" reality. The idea that the physical Universe could just be a computer generated simulation and you and I don't actually exist, is not philosophy, it's pseudo-philosophy absurdism that some guy probably came up with after a weekend-long beer and acid binge. "Dude, I just figured out the meaning of life maaan." A bit too much sci-fi maybe, mate :D

Fun for a bit of conjecture and pure speculation maybe, but I don't think the idea can be taking very seriously in any true intellectual sense.

In saying that, it is interesting to note how we could sometimes perceive the Universe as a kind of computer, in the sense that it is an ordered system that produces information and complexity, and that it's underlying processes can generally be described with mathematical equations - just as Newton viewed the universe as a great mechanical "clock" I can see how in modern day thinking, especially with recent understanding of Quantum Mechanics and other areas of scientific knowledge, some may instead think of it as a great computer system of sorts...and also how our brains (thought not our minds, I would say) are essentially like an extremely complex computer, as a rather crude comparison.

I don't think the fact that we may sometimes perceive it that way has any applicable basis to reality though.

Reply #6157 Posted: January 06, 2009, 12:59:09 am

Offline Dante

• Just settled in

I don't know what particular conception of God you are thinking of, but I do not know of any that equate to the idea of finite, individual creators of a "simulated" reality. The idea that the physical Universe could just be a computer generated simulation and you and I don't actually exist, is not philosophy, it's pseudo-philosophy absurdism that some guy probably came up with after a weekend-long beer and acid binge. "Dude, I just figured out the meaning of life maaan." A bit too much sci-fi maybe, mate :D

Fun for a bit of conjecture and pure speculation maybe, but I don't think the idea can be taking very seriously in any true intellectual sense.

In saying that, it is interesting to note how we could sometimes perceive the Universe as a kind of computer, in the sense that it is an ordered system that produces information and complexity, and that it's underlying processes can generally be described with mathematical equations - just as Newton viewed the universe as a great mechanical "clock" I can see how in modern day thinking, especially with recent understanding of Quantum Mechanics and other areas of scientific knowledge, some might instead be inclined to thinking of it as a great computer system of sorts...and also how our brains (though not our minds/consciousness, I would say) are essentially like an extremely complex computer, as a rather crude comparison.

I don't think the fact that we may sometimes perceive it that way has any applicable basis to an objective reality though.

Reply #6158 Posted: January 06, 2009, 01:02:48 am

Offline Dante

• Just settled in

In saying that, it is interesting to note how we could sometimes perceive the Universe as a kind of computer, in the sense that it is an ordered system that produces information and complexity, and that it's underlying processes can generally be described with mathematical equations - just as Newton viewed the universe as a great mechanical "clock" I can see how in modern day thinking, especially with recent understanding of Quantum Mechanics and other areas of scientific knowledge, some might instead be inclined to thinking of it as a great computer system of sorts...and also how our brains (though not our minds/consciousness, I would say) are essentially like an extremely complex computer, as a rather crude comparison.

I don't think the fact that we may sometimes perceive it that way has any applicable basis to an objective reality though.

Reply #6159 Posted: January 06, 2009, 01:05:15 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

God is most often view of as the creator and overseer of the universe, Exactly what creator of a simulation would be.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but by my understand you are saying that if the universe does not require a god to run, it logical to assume that there is no god. I understand though that it would make no diffrence to assume that there is no God. However there is no advantage to it, and as you would be unable to convince others, it would only lead to more discussion on the subject.

If God created the universe so it would run independently without intervention, then of course it doesn't need a god to run. But it would be pointless assume there is no God, but it wouldn't matter if you did assume so.

Same came be said of a simulation, if it was only created by the simulators and not interfered with after that.
However you can't say "the universe is not required to be a simulation, thus it's logical to assume it's not a simulation". Well you could say that, but it wouldn't mean anything.

Occam's razor is flawed, it's obvious in many cases that the simplest solution is not the correct one. Occam's razor has no logical base, it's just a way of thinking. It's also flawed in the assumption of what is the 'simplest' solution. One could say "God did it' is far more simple then evolution, which is quite complex. However evolution is correct despite being complex, imo.

You're confusing two points.

In the situation I'm suggesting, god is superfluous, because the lack of existence of god would change nothing in the universe.

To fit your idea into my idea, you don't say that "the simulation is superfluous" which is what you've done twice, you'd say "the simulation's creators are superfluous".

We're both butting up against the idea that if god is superfluous to requirement of the universe, then it doesn't matter if people believe in god or not. You seem to be taking the stance that even if everything within the universe can be explained, people will still believe in god. But why? Why would people believe in something that is proven to have no relevance, importance or influence over the workings of their lives? In millions of years do you not think the human race would have developed to a point where we do not require reassurance from supernatural invisible friends?

Either way, we agree that in such a universe, whether god exists is irrelevant, and the other view equally irrelevant. However, all I'm arguing is that it would be possible to prove god completely irrelevant.

@Dante. Back for more aye. Since I'm talking millions of years of development, both of technology and of the human brain, no it wouldn't surprise me if we were able to perfectly describe the universe. It is logical that if a system exists, it is possible to describe it. Describing from within is more difficult and would take longer, but it is still theoretically possible. A rat in a maze can learn to understand the maze, even if it takes longer than the man who built the maze.

Also, you mention that god is logical and rational. This is an assumption. There are many examples of a potential god's lack of logic assuming he is omnipotent.

And I disagree with you re: the universe being a simulation. That seems equally as plausible as a magical invisible anthropomorph in the sky.

Reply #6160 Posted: January 06, 2009, 04:22:11 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
  • UppityDuck has no influence.
Quote from: Dante;863719

...and this readily applies to religion, and doesn't always apply to science.

Reply #6161 Posted: January 06, 2009, 07:10:52 am
A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue.

Russian Proverb

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Atheist

Atheism(moar like Gaytheism, amirite?) is a religion for people who worship themselves instead of God. As a Christian will typically quote the Bible during an argument, most atheists will quote The God Delusion. Since nearly every forum on this series of tubes we call "Internets" has a 90 page long religion thread, it is clear that much drama and BAWWW is had with such a sensitive topic. In this article we'll take a look at the atheists side of this eternal argument and attempt to glean important facts regarding their position. BEHOLD!

check the site for me lulz.

Reply #6162 Posted: January 06, 2009, 08:27:11 am

Offline nzr_hotsexgary

• Just settled in
  • nzr_hotsexgary has no influence.
If technology advances to the point where we know everything about the universe except for whether or not a god exists, then we can say "the universe does not require a god".

Read up on Godel's incompleteness theorems which explain why we'll never advance technology to that point. No system can be fully knowledgable of itself, and therefore our knowledge of the universe will always be incomplete.

Reply #6163 Posted: January 06, 2009, 09:41:43 am

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: nzr_hotsexgary;863754
Read up on Godel's incompleteness theorems which explain why we'll never advance technology to that point. No system can be fully knowledgable of itself, and therefore our knowledge of the universe will always be incomplete.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2716/mhkslqcnwewxrcnbmseta25wr4.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Consider the possibility that Godel may be incorrect. The hypothetical I used was millions of years of advancement.

Reply #6164 Posted: January 06, 2009, 09:48:40 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;863758
...millions of years of advancement.

I smell a challenge

Reply #6165 Posted: January 06, 2009, 10:43:22 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline nzr_hotsexgary

• Just settled in
  • nzr_hotsexgary has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;863758
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2716/mhkslqcnwewxrcnbmseta25wr4.jpg
Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Consider the possibility that Godel may be incorrect. The hypothetical I used was millions of years of advancement.

You're forgetting that Godel's theorem has been mathematically proven. A mathematical proof (just in case you aren't familiar with them) is universally correct, and can be applied to any situation with the same premises. "Millions of years of advancement" will allow us to continue to get closer, but it will be a losing battle, similar to how scientists still can't bring a particle to absolute zero (but they keep getting closer).

I'm willing to bet you haven't looked into it though and are blindly believing what you've already decided upon - much in the same way someone would blindly follow their religion, right?

Reply #6166 Posted: January 06, 2009, 10:48:27 am

Offline Arnifix

Quote from: nzr_hotsexgary;863799
I'm willing to bet you haven't looked into it though and are blindly believing what you've already decided upon - much in the same way someone would blindly follow their religion, right?

I spent about 10 minutes reading before quickly posting so I could go back to doing work. Excuse me for not being a gentleman of leisure with nothing better to do at 11 in the morning.

If you need me, I'll be in the garden with a G&T.

Reply #6167 Posted: January 06, 2009, 11:07:40 am

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Simon_NZ;863745
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Atheist

check the site for me lulz.

nice i havnt read that much bullshit since i read the bible, amirite?

Reply #6168 Posted: January 06, 2009, 05:41:24 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: KiLL3r;864007
nice i havnt read that much bullshit since i read the bible, amirite?

There is an interesting documentary narrated by Dawn French called "Chasing God" on right now, channel: Maori Channel

Go and watch!

Edit: Bah. That was boring as hell, poorly structured and came to absolutely no conclusion. What a complete waste of time

Reply #6169 Posted: January 06, 2009, 08:44:54 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
i was watching "the big debate" on youtube last night with dawkins and a bunch of other joe averages and he came up with the absolute best way to win a debate against a muslim and childhood indoctrination (which was what the debate was about).

basically in islam when your born you are instantly a muslim. Thats what the rabbi said but, you can choose to change at anytime. Dawnkins reply. "what the punishment for Apostasy? (renouncing your religion)"

the rabbi totally ignored his question. Finally at the very end of the show dawkins pushed the point and finally got an answer.  "Death"

So feel free to give up islam at anytime as long as your prepared to die.

apostasy is punishable by death in the countries of Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iran, Sudan, Afghanistan, Mauritania and the Comoros.

Reply #6170 Posted: January 06, 2009, 09:51:02 pm

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Were they Rabbis or Mullahs?

Japanese who say they are the descendants of Jesus

Junichiro Sawaguchi believes he is descended from Jesus, but 'as a Buddhist it's just not all that important'

According to the document, Jesus arrived in Aomori at the age of 21, where he took the name Daitenku Taro Jurai, studied the Japanese language and developed a deep affinity for the country and people. Eleven years later – conveniently the same period in the Bible that his whereabouts cannot be accounted for – he returned to Judea but fell foul of the Romans.

Instead of being crucified, however, the Romans got the wrong man and nailed his brother, Isukiri, to the cross. Carrying his brother's ear and a lock of hair from the Virgin Mary, Jesus fled across Siberia to Shingo, where he grew rice, married a local woman called Miyuko and had three daughters, it claims.

At the ripe old age of 106, Jesus died peacefully and was interred in the mound that sits on Mr Sawaguchi's land.

:sly:

Reply #6171 Posted: January 07, 2009, 12:53:38 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: UppityDuck;864379
Were they Rabbis or Mullahs?

Japanese who say they are the descendants of Jesus

Sounds more like what Imams or Mullahs would say

Japanese being descendants of Jesus is no more ridiculous than Mormons, Ethiopian Christians or Afghani Christ descendants

That program "Chasing God" was also crap for another reason: They didnt speak to God! There are lots of Gods alive today, not just Messiahs and Prophets. Fully fledged Avatars. Come to think of it, they didnt speak to any Messiahs or Prophets either

Reply #6172 Posted: January 07, 2009, 04:02:24 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline UppityDuck

• Addicted
Found this on another website:

Faith is, quite simply, a belief which is void of evidence - sight, sound, smell, feel, or taste.
A belief which can not be verified - only believed by inferior means.
Is it not strange that such an attribute would be considered good in our modern society?
Of course the main culprit of this is Christianity, believing that it's a good thing not to have evidence and to simply accept what was written down thousands of years prior and translated multiple times.
Whether you consider it good or bad, it certainly is not logical.

The Circle of Faith

I understand the circle because I was a part of it for several years.
Having faith in nothing - to see it come alive in the mind and grow on itself - with no concrete bases whatsoever. The circle of faith is a self affirming belief in nothing in an attempt to make it something.
Each time you pass another lap on this circle, your faith grows, but why it does, nobody knows - except for psychologists, that is .

The Effects of Faith

We know today, through psychology, that the mind can be very adept at creating false realities. Having faith in something will eventually cause the mind to look for it and, upon not finding it, create it (in some sense).
There's an old computer saying: Garbage in, garbage out.
The mind is very similar - whatever you feed it will grow and become real in your mind.
Is it any wonder that if you continue the circle of faith for years you will eventually start having 'personal experiences'? If anything, this is a testament to the mind, but if not verified by scientific means, it truly means nothing.

So at the simplest level, we see that you must have faith in faith - in effect having faith in a faulty portion of the mind which has power to create whatever reality it sees fit. What sense does that make?

Deny Ignorance - Deny Faith

Faith can easily be linked with ignorance.
Faith denies evidence and facts in order to continue a belief.
The denial of facts is ignorance.
The lack of understanding of how evolution works, followed by calling it "ridiculous" or "evilution" - which is, in fact, to spit in the face of some of the greatest minds of the past century, IS ignorance.
To have enough guts to actually learn what evolution IS and then to debate it in an intelligent manner is not ignorance - but faith rarely allows such an honest attempt to understand what does not support the faith.

Any belief you have should be sound enough to stand on it's own merrits.
If a belief system requires you to have faith, then that should be a warning sign to you right there - that the belief system has it's flaws which must be ignored through faith.
Deny Ignorance.
Deny Faith.

There's a quote by Dan Barker who says it better than I could:
"Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits."

:rnr:

Reply #6173 Posted: January 08, 2009, 01:25:24 pm

Russian Proverb

Offline krasher

• Addicted
  • krasher has no influence.
Seeing faith and religion as having a net negative effect is old school and unsupported by empirical research.
http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=n66m64712k283x8h&size=large

"Lynne Friedli, manager of the HEA's Mental Health Programme, said: "Religious belief and faith have a central place in many people's lives and this initiative will raise awareness of the important role that faith has in protecting people from mental ill health and helping them to deal better with problems when they do occur."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/462748.stm

"Part IV discusses obstacles faced by researchers like Koenig, and by faith-based organizations that seek support to provide mental-health services. Few NIH grants are awarded for studies of religious mental-health interventions; one reason is that few peer reviewers have expertise in this area. According to Koenig, many leading scientists still hold the view that religion and science are incompatible (it seems to me that ASA is well-equipped to address this situation). In this final chapter, Koenig suggests possible solutions. His final recommendation is that "Only by working together as colleagues, respecting and valuing each other’s contributions, can the secular health community and the faith community meet the challenges that lie before them." That sounds to me like good advice for all who seek to improve the interface between science and religion."
http://www.templetonpress.org/bookreviews_detail.asp?book_id=80

"The vast majority of research thus far in healthy populations suggests that religious beliefs and practices are associated with greater well-being, better mental health, and more successful coping, especially during situations of high stress."
http://www.hcnet.usp.br/ipq/revista/vol34/s1/en/5.html

The studies reviewed here demonstrate that faith-based programs are a promising means of reducing cardiovascular health risk factors among minorities and women, who tend to be at greatest risk than the rest of the population from cardiovascular illnesses.
http://her.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/22/5/619

You can argue that faith is poor reasoning, but it is about allowing room for the unknown and unmeasurable and this - according to research - proves to be helpful to peoples mental and physical health.

That is the end of my tiny literature review :)

Reply #6174 Posted: January 08, 2009, 02:09:35 pm
=]IRBS[=

i5 2500k|GTX560ti|GA-Z68X-UD3|8Gig DDR3 1600|24" LG 19x12|650W Corsair|64GB SSD Cache WD640