Topic: Internet Memes in Music

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
What are your thoughts on this?
Is using internet memes in music a good idea or a bad idea?

I ask because I wrote a song last night - the theme of the song is about being fake in a relationship. I've tentatively titled the song "I Put On My Robe and Wizard Hat".

Thoughts?

Posted: October 23, 2008, 11:39:55 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Awesome!

I quite like Weezer's song; Pork and Beans with all the YouTube references. (in the video).

Depends on what audience the song is going to be directed at.

Reply #1 Posted: October 23, 2008, 11:43:51 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Most nerdcore has a lot of memes. And it's good shit.

Reply #2 Posted: October 23, 2008, 12:09:41 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Breaking rules 1 and 2 tbh

Reply #3 Posted: October 23, 2008, 12:15:05 pm

Offline pix

• Addicted
  • pix has no influence.
I don't really like it, makes the song 'temporary' like the meme is.

Reply #4 Posted: October 24, 2008, 10:36:30 am
I still call it ICONZ.

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
tbf, "I put on my robe and wizard hat" is so old that it probably doesn't matter.

Reply #5 Posted: October 24, 2008, 12:19:11 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline hoodieblanket

• Addicted
  • hoodieblanket has no influence.
well rihanna has this song with the o-zone song by that dude thats gone internet popular

Reply #6 Posted: October 24, 2008, 01:12:07 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Flea, you should write a song about gazebos.

Reply #7 Posted: October 24, 2008, 01:20:59 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Is detachable penis an internet meme?

Reply #8 Posted: October 24, 2008, 02:07:19 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
I'm not too fond of gazebos, Arn, thus any song I write would be remarkably unremarkable :D To be honest, I just kinda write the words for the songs based on what the music is doing and on ideas I've written previously - then I give the songs tentative titles and put the song name decision to the whole group.

Some of the tentative titles have been long and pointless ("A Rare Moment of Apprehension", which actually got used as the final song title before being shrunken to its current title, "Apprehension"), or based on things I see (one is "I'm Not There", the name of the recent Bob Dylan movie, which fit the theme of the song), another is "I Put On My Robe and Wizard Hat", another is "The Wannabe White Stripes Band" (since the song starts off with a riff that reminds me of Jack Black). Others are short ("Disconnected", "Passing", one called "Fail" which I might leave as the title anyways).

My point:

... uhh, yeah.

Quote from: TofuEater;819897
Is detachable penis an internet meme?

It was a song by King Missile first, wasn't it?
I'm sure it came out before internet memes did :D

Reply #9 Posted: October 24, 2008, 02:25:06 pm

Offline SUPA_maori_BRO

• Devoted Member
  • SUPA_maori_BRO has no influence.
Does

We’re sitting here in Ventrilo
playing some DotA
We push on and we’re owning
With the opponents we’re toying

count?

Reply #10 Posted: October 24, 2008, 04:04:53 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;819904
It was a song by King Missile first, wasn't it?
I'm sure it came out before internet memes did :D

I have no idea (well i do actually), but this just seemed to be the thread where posting "detachable penis" seemed totally appropriate. :P

Reply #11 Posted: October 24, 2008, 04:23:07 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;780671
What are your thoughts on this?
Is using internet memes in music a good idea or a bad idea?

I ask because I wrote a song last night - the theme of the song is about being fake in a relationship. I've tentatively titled the song "I Put On My Robe and Wizard Hat".

Thoughts?

It is a bad idea. Songs based entirely around them are just terrible. Songs ABOUT them are okay though.

There are some terrible YouTube videos using nothing but rage images and they are horrible. They're professionally done, but scream a lack of creativity.

PsychicPebbles is pretty much the only one who does good animated videos

Reply #12 Posted: March 09, 2013, 01:40:17 pm
I am now banned from GetSome