Topic: John Carter - Biggest Flop Ever?

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2012/03/disneys-john-carter?fsrc=scn/gp/wl/bl/thebiggestflopever
John Carter flop to cost Walt Disney $200m
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442200

Having recently rewatched Waterworld (the previously biggest flop ever) I was suprised to stumble on this beauty of an (allegedly) terrible movie.

Unfortunately it is 2 hours 15 minutes and it is meant to be all bad. If it makes it to NZ I might go see it for the infamy alone.

Posted: March 24, 2012, 11:12:30 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1476725
If it makes it to NZ I might go see it

If you do that, it becomes just a little less of a flop.

Just wait for the torrent bru.

Reply #1 Posted: March 24, 2012, 04:19:19 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I liked Waterworld.

Reply #2 Posted: March 24, 2012, 04:24:46 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Same.

Not sure why all the hate.

Reply #3 Posted: March 24, 2012, 04:26:50 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline broncos

• Addicted
  • broncos has no influence.
Same

Reply #4 Posted: March 24, 2012, 05:03:26 pm

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
Serves them right for spending $250m on a 2 hour movie. Morons, no movie needs that sort of a budget.

Reply #5 Posted: March 24, 2012, 05:06:43 pm
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum
 - You\'re*
 - TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 - What is this thread about?

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Fairly sure its been playing here for a few weeks.

I was going to see it, but saw underworld instead.

Fucking stupid mistake.

Reply #6 Posted: March 24, 2012, 05:19:18 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1476782
I liked Waterworld.

Same. Not exactly sure why no one liked that movie. Maybe it was because it was the 90's. People were much stupider and less numerous back then.
Quote from: BerG;1476795
Fairly sure its been playing here for a few weeks.

I was going to see it, but saw underworld instead.

Fucking stupid mistake.

Quote from: swindle;1476780

Underworld got torrented and was horrible.

Reply #7 Posted: March 24, 2012, 05:41:43 pm

Offline xpertz

• Addicted
  • xpertz has no influence.
Waterworld was awesome. Mind you I was young when i watched it, hmm might watch it again to see why it was a flop.

Reply #8 Posted: March 25, 2012, 04:41:14 pm
<on3.co.nz | CS 1.6 TOURNAMENT #1>EAC
[EAC] HcN.skytech :: This server requires the use of 32bit colour
HcN.skytech dropped
HcN.skytech has left the game

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I like Waterworld too.

Reply #9 Posted: March 25, 2012, 05:10:57 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: swindle;1476780

Has anyone actually seen this allegedly horrible movie?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17790694
Disney film boss Rich Ross resigns after John Carter flop
The head of Disney film-making studio, Rich Ross, has resigned as chairman a month after the film John Carter became one of the company's biggest flops.

He revealed his move by email: "I no longer believe that the chairman role is the right professional fit for me."

Reply #10 Posted: April 21, 2012, 09:22:54 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I liked Waterworld.

Well it looks like you're not the only one!

Reply #11 Posted: May 13, 2012, 09:01:17 am

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
You have way to much time on your hands.

Reply #12 Posted: May 13, 2012, 03:50:03 pm
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I liked Waterworld.

Waterworld was awesome.

It was like Mad Max 2, but more water and less Australian.

Reply #13 Posted: May 14, 2012, 08:37:58 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I thought waterworld flopped more because of the massive delays during production and little issues like the set sinking. The budget blew out, the promoters got pissed about missing theatre dates, and there already was a "oh god its Kevin Costner" cringe from audiences thanks to his other movies. None of it really had anything to do with the content of the story.

Reply #14 Posted: May 23, 2012, 08:00:36 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;1486850
I thought waterworld flopped more because of the massive delays during production and little issues like the set sinking. The budget blew out, the promoters got pissed about missing theatre dates, and there already was a "oh god its Kevin Costner" cringe from audiences thanks to his other movies. None of it really had anything to do with the content of the story.

Yes, I think that's mostly correct.

It was super expensive, most expensive movie ever produced untill Titanic.

Reply #15 Posted: May 23, 2012, 09:40:39 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
This was a pretty big flop

Reply #16 Posted: May 23, 2012, 03:21:32 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

An annoying advert appeared on a YouTube advert. Unskippable. So I looked it up

We have a new challenger
Movie 43
Movie 43 is a 2013 American anthology comedy film co-directed and produced by Peter Farrelly, and written by Steve Baker, Rocky Russo, Jeremy Sosenko, and 17 others.

The film was shot over a period of several years, and was released on January 25, 2013. The film has been universally panned by critics, some stating it is one of the worst movies ever made.

Richard Roeper - "Movie 43 is the new Citizen Kane of awful" 0/4 stars

Reply #17 Posted: February 01, 2013, 03:26:31 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
This Movie 43 looks hellishly funny.

The trailer makes me feel that the entire movie production is literally laughing at its own existence.

It's weird.

Will watch.

Reply #18 Posted: February 01, 2013, 05:18:54 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Black Heart;1486850

Oddly enough, your assessment appears to be right on the nose.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-defense-force/6766-Waterworld
tl;dw - There was nothing wrong with the movie. It is a light hearted, bombastic movie with a simple story. It is no worse than Independence Day as a movie from the 90's

Reply #19 Posted: February 01, 2013, 06:57:21 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Bombastic, are we using that word again?

Reply #20 Posted: February 01, 2013, 07:04:43 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Retardobot;1516629
Bombastic, are we using that word again?

Party like its 1995!!

Reply #21 Posted: February 01, 2013, 07:10:43 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Mr lova lova, mm, ooh gurrl

Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:45:12 am by Pyromanik

Reply #22 Posted: February 03, 2013, 08:40:56 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.