Topic: The official NFL (National Football League) thread

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
  • Thetruereddevil has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;1049102
I can't believe how shit Brady played - it was more what i would have expected from him in the rookie Superbowl appearance. To be fair, he got fuck all pass protection early on and i knew it was going to be a hard ask given the holes in the Pats defence, but we'll come back stronger next year.

Go the Ravens - its going to be a hard-ass revengefest against the Colts next week. I'm picking Ray Lewis is already practising on tackle dummies with Mannings face drawn on them. :rnr:

Pats were too beaten up, and not as good as the title years, esp secondary, theyll be back tho, theyre still pretty scary on offense

would like to see the ravens and chargers thru, saints and vikes on nfc side

Reply #75 Posted: January 12, 2010, 05:08:34 pm

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
  • nz_wing has no influence.
Manning won MVP while Charles Woodson won Defensive Player of the Year.

Reply #76 Posted: January 14, 2010, 01:10:20 am

XBL GT: kazzaWing

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
Colts and Saints make it through to their respective divisional finals.

What annoys the hell out of me is ESPN show the colts game twice, but not the Saints. TV One news shows the results of te Colts game but don't even mention the Saints. It's blatant NFCism. Why does the AFC get all the publicity? And don't say "because all the good teams are in the AFC"....please. Even if it is the truth. I'm not sure I could handle it.

Reply #77 Posted: January 18, 2010, 07:12:49 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
Quote from: TuataraDude;1051826

What annoys the hell out of me is ESPN show the colts game twice, but not the Saints. TV One news shows the results of te Colts game but don't even mention the Saints. It's blatant NFCism. Why does the AFC get all the publicity? And don't say "because all the good teams are in the AFC"....please. Even if it is the truth. I'm not sure I could handle it.

agree on this one

also, sad news about Bears DE Gaines Adams

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4833908

Reply #78 Posted: January 18, 2010, 07:20:35 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Thetruereddevil;1051827
also, sad news about Bears DE Gaines Adams

Cardiac arrest at 26, that is indeed pretty sad. Just shows how much stress those guys put on their bodies. I saw an interview with a football player from the 50's or 60's (can't remember which or who it was) but he could barely walk without being in pain because of the hammering his body took when he was playing. Not unusual apparently.

Reply #79 Posted: January 18, 2010, 08:06:17 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.

What annoys the hell out of me is ESPN show the colts game twice, but not the Saints. TV One news shows the results of te Colts game but don't even mention the Saints. It's blatant NFCism.

No, it all comes down to who has the rights to screen it. For instance, Fox had the rights to the NFC match, which is why it was shown on SS1 - because Murdoch owns Fox and Sky. And i saw the Saints result on TV1 News, but i don't remember seeing the Colts/Ravens result.

Quote from: TuataraDude;1051836
Cardiac arrest at 26, that is indeed pretty sad. Just shows how much steroids those guys put in their bodies.

EFT. :disappoin

Reply #80 Posted: January 18, 2010, 08:29:56 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: TofuEater;1051846
EFT. :disappoin

I don't doubt it. Still sad though.

Vikings V Cowboys update.

Spoiler :
Final score Vikings win 34-3.

Reply #81 Posted: January 18, 2010, 09:12:22 am

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.

What annoys the hell out of me is ESPN show the colts game twice, but not the Saints.

The Saints game was on skysport one. Man Kurt warner was getting his ass handed to him on a plate

Im at home today still got a week off work so will be watching the other 2 games today

Reply #82 Posted: January 18, 2010, 10:10:57 am

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
Quote from: TuataraDude;1051857
I don't doubt it. Still sad though.

Vikings V Cowboys update.

Spoiler :
Final score Vikings win 34-3.

WHOO!

should be a good one in the superdome, AND i have the day off:D

Reply #83 Posted: January 18, 2010, 11:08:37 am

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Spoiler :
I can't believe the Cowboys didn't put up more of a fight.
Romo is waaaaaaaaaaaay over-rated.

Reply #84 Posted: January 18, 2010, 11:54:05 am

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
Vikings D-line is too good.

Jets are officially my second fav team now.

Revis Island, im so there.

Reply #85 Posted: January 18, 2010, 02:01:40 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
I watched the Colts game live yesterday and one thing annoyed me more than anything.

The ocmmentators kept on about how great Manning is - and I agree, he's an excellent Q-back. But what won the COlts that game was their D. Keeping the Ravens to 3 was immense, especially as they averaged 25 points a game in the regular season.

Although the Ravens didn't help themselves with the amount of penalties they gave away. The worst being the multiple penalties at the end of the first half.

But yeah, that Colts D was immense - great against the pass, and really great against the rush.

Reply #86 Posted: January 18, 2010, 02:08:07 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
Brett farve is the man

Spoiler :
Vikings defense was sick. As for the chargers well they must be disappointed

Reply #87 Posted: January 18, 2010, 03:02:49 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Xt1ncT;1051997
The ocmmentators kept on about how great Manning is - and I agree, he's an excellent Q-back. But what won the COlts that game was their D. Keeping the Ravens to 3 was immense, especially as they averaged 25 points a game in the regular season.

Like so many sports its defence that wins matches. I hope Graham Henry learns that lesson before the next RWC.

All the years i've watched NFL the two "truths" that keep coming back is the teams that win:
have an excellent running game (which allows them to control the clock)
have great defence (which stops the opposition scoring points)

Reply #88 Posted: January 18, 2010, 03:29:35 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: TofuEater;1052068
Like so many sports its defence that wins matches. I hope Graham Henry learns that lesson before the next RWC.

All the years i've watched NFL the two "truths" that keep coming back is the teams that win:
have an excellent running game (which allows them to control the clock)
have great defence (which stops the opposition scoring points)
In that case the Colts won't win.

I thought their running game sucked!!!

Reply #89 Posted: January 18, 2010, 04:25:59 pm

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Xt1ncT;1052087
In that case the Colts won't win.

I thought their running game sucked!!!

When you have a person named "Peyton Manning" anything can happen.

Reply #90 Posted: January 18, 2010, 04:52:00 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: nz_wing;1052105
When you have a person named "Peyton Manning" anything can happen.
Maybe - but even he didn't play that great yesterday - no scores in the 2nd half other than the FG.

As mentioned, it was their D that won the game for them. And some awesome other plays - the one on the intercept where Garcon chased back and punched the ball out during the tackle was the play of the match IMO.

Reply #91 Posted: January 18, 2010, 04:56:01 pm

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Xt1ncT;1052111
Maybe - but even he didn't play that great yesterday - no scores in the 2nd half other than the FG.

As mentioned, it was their D that won the game for them. And some awesome other plays - the one on the intercept where Garcon chased back and punched the ball out during the tackle was the play of the match IMO.

Didn't play great? Are you kidding me?

Name one QB apart from him, that could drive down and score a touchdown in 1:25 before the half.

Also its a known fact that the Colts D plays better when they are leading. When down, teams tend to pass the ball, this means Mathis and Freeney can rush off the end and cause pressure and turnovers for the Colts.

The Colts D played extremely well BECAUSE they were leading after halftime. And who lead the charge in scoring 14 points in 1:57 before the half? That's right, that man, the MVP.

Reply #92 Posted: January 18, 2010, 05:03:20 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: nz_wing;1052120

Name one QB apart from him, that could drive down and score a touchdown in 1:25 before the half.
He played well, but overall I didn't think he played great - just my opinion.

He was helped massively by the penalties the Ravens gave away - but yeah that was a good drive, I'll give you that :)

Reply #93 Posted: January 18, 2010, 05:26:38 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
AFC championship final between the Colts and the Jets will be broadcast on ESPN at 09:00 (NZ Time) on Monday Morning.( Go Jets, but only because I am concerned the Colts will beat the Saints at the Superbowl).

NFC championship final between the Saints and the Vikings will be broadcast on Sky Sport 3 at 12:30 (NZ Time) on Monday afternoon - Go Saints (Obviously). Good thing I can work from home at times.

So, if you have the sky sports package that includes these channels, no excuses (Like I did recently :().

Reply #94 Posted: January 24, 2010, 09:57:25 am

Offline Thetruereddevil

• Addicted
Quote from: TuataraDude;1055693
AFC championship final between the Colts and the Jets will be broadcast on ESPN at 09:00 (NZ Time) on Monday Morning.( Go Jets, but only because I am concerned the Colts will beat the Saints at the Superbowl).

NFC championship final between the Saints and the Vikings will be broadcast on Sky Sport 3 at 12:30 (NZ Time) on Monday afternoon - Go Saints (Obviously). Good thing I can work from home at times.

So, if you have the sky sports package that includes these channels, no excuses (Like I did recently :().

all ready to go and watch it

nervous as hell! but should be a good one fingers crossed

Reply #95 Posted: January 25, 2010, 10:22:28 am

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
Colts defense baaabbbyy~

Reply #96 Posted: January 25, 2010, 11:12:53 am

Offline nz_wing

• Devoted Member
Book those tickets, the Colts are headed to Miami!

Reply #97 Posted: January 25, 2010, 12:01:45 pm

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
Quote from: nz_wing;1056104
Book those tickets, the Colts are headed to Miami!

At 17-7 I thought they would have to pull one out of the hat to get there.....and they did. Well done.

Reply #98 Posted: January 25, 2010, 02:57:21 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
Yeah boi!!! COLTS all the way!

Reply #99 Posted: January 25, 2010, 03:45:02 pm