Topic: Hardwire a USB into wire harness

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Hey team, I have a lap timer on my track bike that needs charged via Mini USB which is a pain to either remove the lap timer to charge or park it close enough to get a power source into it. What I wan't to do is hook it up to the bike so it is charging full time. Hence I need to find a cable that would allow such an operation.
I have considered sacrificing a general USB cable and soldering it into the loom, however I don't know which wires are power and earth (also lap timer is expensive and don't mind spending to get the correct gear to run it. Has anyone come across something like this? I had a quick google on the internet machine but could only come up with cigarette type chargers, which would work but I would rather have a more compact unit. that doesn't look like balls.

See Right hand item in the image for the type I am talking about.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7951[/ATTACH]
Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:12:26 pm by frankytanky

Posted: August 27, 2013, 04:06:04 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
I know nothing much of this but after a quick google;

This looks interesting too;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2063137

Reply #1 Posted: August 27, 2013, 05:06:56 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.

Reply #2 Posted: August 27, 2013, 07:44:53 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
you coming up this weekend for KOR?

Reply #3 Posted: August 27, 2013, 08:01:31 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pe_Pa_Possum

• Just settled in
  • Pe_Pa_Possum has no influence.
USB is 5V, whereas the battery on your bike is 12V so you will need a DC to DC converter between the two (such as a USB cigarette lighter charger) otherwise you will fry your lap timer

EDIT
This might do the job for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Module-12V-To-5V-Mini-JNEP-USB-Output-Power-Adapter-Buck-Power-/281157399650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4176497462
Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:36:57 pm by Pe_Pa_Possum

Reply #4 Posted: August 27, 2013, 09:33:49 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Quote from: Pe_Pa_Possum;1530649
USB is 5V, whereas the battery on your bike is 12V so you will need a DC to DC converter between the two (such as a USB cigarette lighter charger) otherwise you will fry your lap timer

EDIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Module-12V-To-5V-Mini-JNEP-USB-Output-Power-Adapter-Buck-Power-/281157399650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4176497462

Boom, that is exactly the thing I was after, thanks so much for linking that through. Absolute champ thanks!

My bike is still in a million pieces at the moment so no way am I up there this weekend, instead I will be running a 50km race in Naseby. Good times

Reply #5 Posted: August 27, 2013, 09:43:03 pm

Offline Pe_Pa_Possum

• Just settled in
  • Pe_Pa_Possum has no influence.
Would it be worth putting a switch inline so that its not charging continuously?

Reply #6 Posted: August 27, 2013, 10:50:57 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pe_Pa_Possum;1530649

EDIT

His bike will have a 5VDC wire we can splice into.

Quote from: frankytanky;1530650
Boom, that is exactly the thing I was after, thanks so much for linking that through. Absolute champ thanks!

My bike is still in a million pieces at the moment so no way am I up there this weekend, instead I will be running a 50km race in Naseby. Good times

either wire that sucker in or I can wire a usb plug straight on when you're up for the next race.

Reply #7 Posted: August 27, 2013, 10:57:15 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1530655
His bike will have a 5VDC wire we can splice into.

either wire that sucker in or I can wire a usb plug straight on when you're up for the next race.

Cheers but I will probs go with the 12v route as the 5v signals on a bike are usually from sensors and I don't want to interrupt any signals too and from them.

Will you be riding this weekend? What lap times are you at these days?

Thanks everyone for the help by the way

Reply #8 Posted: August 28, 2013, 07:16:09 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Don't worry, just read the other post. Its hard with a long time off the bike trying to get your confidence back etc.

Reply #9 Posted: August 28, 2013, 09:46:00 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: frankytanky;1530662
Cheers but I will probs go with the 12v route as the 5v signals on a bike are usually from sensors and I don't want to interrupt any signals too and from them.

Will you be riding this weekend? What lap times are you at these days?

Thanks everyone for the help by the way

Yeah do the DC/DC conversion, that wee box is bugger all weight.

I got out yesterday and was timing 1:59's but then I didn't clear my last session times, in the next session I was going much quicker, but still no where near my 1:44 fastest.

My elbows feel all gammy and I cant get them in the right place, I've tried messing around with the bars a bit (which are new bars) but I think I'm still regaining confidence in my ability to move around on the bike etc.

I'm hoping a solid race on the weekend will straighten me out and get me back into it.

Reply #10 Posted: August 28, 2013, 11:09:20 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
A little embarrassing, the lap timer may have come with a permanent power source feed..... oh dear.......
thanks anyways guy, nice to see what products are on the market.....

Reply #11 Posted: August 28, 2013, 11:59:55 am