Topic: Shame on you PB Tech - your anniversary sale is a sham!

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
As early as last week, I was stating in these forums how I was a PB Tech fanboy. No longer.

Today, I needed a powerline adapter so went directly to PB Tech, my regular North Shore store. I was aware there was a 3 day sale on for Auckland anniversary day, but wasn't expecting what I wanted on sale, but would check out other wares.

The store was just littered with yellow "3 day sale stickers". So out of curiosity, I wanted to see what kind of deals were available. I just lifted up the sticker to see what was behind. Of the approximately 1/2 I came across that had discounts, it wasn't much, but there was a price difference. But this got my blood boiling, how dumb do they think their customers are??

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/62/iem9.jpg
Shame on you PB Tech - your anniversary sale is a sham!

I bought this item on the 18th of January, 2014, hmmm, look how much I paid vs the big 3 day sale sticker.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/138/kyu5.png

The evidence.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/707/bcli.jpg

No matter how many stickers I moved, the numbers just stayed the same...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/g0of.jpg

I was getting angry, I should have taken photos with some items which were different, but it never occurred to me how rampant this was.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/546/o3o1.jpg

and more

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/849/m46c.jpg

and more
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/716/sfcq.jpg

oh, another one. No matter how many stickers I uncovered, over half were simply NOT on sale.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/268/59dv.jpg

I am sifting through the fair trading act now, as I am sure that deceptive selling is covered by this behaviour. I had a word with the girl on the counter, being careful not to be an ass as it isn't her fault. But if no one complains, it'll continue to happen. Hence why I am posting here. I made sure all customers in line knew that the sale was not a sale, unless they boxed shit up and put it in the entrance.

Spread the word. Voice your thoughts.

Fuck you PB Tech.

Boom - here it is

http://www.comcom.govt.nz/fair-trading/fair-trading-act-fact-sheets/pricing/

Sales

In the mind of the ordinary consumer, the word "sale" means an opportunity to buy goods at reduced prices for a limited time.

There are many different types of sales. All sales, however, imply that a lower price than usual is being charged. Any goods or services a business promotes as part of a sale must be priced below normal levels. If a sale does not include stock already on sale or discounted, then this must be clearly disclosed. Likewise, unless a business clearly discloses that a sale is limited to certain products, consumers are likely to consider that most, if not all, of the business' stock is being offered at sale prices.

Businesses should also take care when promoting goods ordered specifically as sale stock. A business should not promote these goods using "was/now" prices, as they have not been sold prior to the sale.

Businesses must also be able to prove that how they have described a sale is truthful. "Liquidation" or "receivership" sales imply that the business running the sale is closing down. If a business advertises a "closing down" sale, with no intention of closing, it will breach the Fair Trading Act.

Example: A bicycle retailer advertised closing down sales at two of its stores but had no plans to close down either store. The retailer brought in extra stock for the sales and kept the sales running for several months. The Commission issued the company with a warning.

A sale represents a special buying opportunity and consumers often change their ordinary shopping habits to take advantage of such an opportunity. A sale must be for a short duration and only for the period stated, unless unforeseen circumstances lead to the sale being extended or shortened. If a business advertises a sale as "last three days of the sale" for several weeks, consumers would be misled about the opportunity available to them.
Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:00:06 am by benlav

Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:38:41 am

Offline Scopey

• GS Developer
  • Scopey has no influence.
Never again PB tech tbh.

Our software company bought two of their custom PCs at the end of last year and BOTH of them had dodgey hard drives. We sent them both back and they were fixed/replaced, but having almost 2 weeks without 2 computers in a software company doesn't really work.

And then my mate had his problem. His PC died after a power cut one night (plugged into a surge protector). He sent it to PB tech in Wellington who then broke his case and PSU trying to diagnose the problem (he was there), but they would only fork out for the PSU replacement.

Reply #1 Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:48:15 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
wow, looks like dragon pc with their low prices and shitty service aint so bad after all!

Reply #2 Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:15:32 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Looking at this, if they had some items on sale they weren't breaking the law. The yellow stickers didn't say that the individual items were on sale, just that the store was having one.

It's somewhat misleading, but not illegal.

Reply #3 Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:36:54 am

lol @ console hate

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Disagree. See the first line of the fair trading act quote.

All stickers and labels were the same. So how can a consumer differentiate between a sale and non sale item? There were items that didn't have a giant yellow sticker on them and were 'normally' priced. So those items clearly weren't on sale.

You can't advertise a specifc item and say "sale" on it, if it isn't on sale. I hear what you're saying, but there is no technicality here. It is deceptive, misleading and illegal.
Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:57:25 am by benlav

Reply #4 Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:50:50 am

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Disagree as well. Stickers say Sale and then under underneath "Today cash price" $ That is a clear indication the item is on sale as the normal white stickers don't say that at all, giving the impression that price is only for Today.

Reply #5 Posted: January 25, 2014, 12:39:08 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
That sure seems dodgy to me, I think I may flag them for any future purchases.

Reply #6 Posted: January 25, 2014, 03:29:33 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Disagree as well. Stickers say Sale and then under underneath "Today cash price" $ That is a clear indication the item is on sale as the normal white stickers don't say that at all, giving the impression that price is only for Today.

It's tricky, but it's not in breach.

I agree it's misleading in this case, but I think it's been very carefully worded. Look at Benlavs first image. Where on that ticket does it say the Samsung adapter is on sale? It says PB Tech is having a sale. It states what the price for the adapter is today, but thats about it.

It still takes a devious mind to go around changing ALL the stickers for the sale though.

Reply #7 Posted: January 25, 2014, 03:43:16 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline benlav

• Addicted
I still don't think your argument holds water.

Likewise, unless a business clearly discloses that a sale is limited to certain products, consumers are likely to consider that most, if not all, of the business' stock is being offered at sale prices.

btw - I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't agree. I think they have breached the act and therefore broken the law.
Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:46:37 pm by benlav

Reply #8 Posted: January 25, 2014, 04:11:56 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I'm with Benlav on this, though I understand where Clin is coming from.

Warehouse Stationery use to do the same when I worked there, have a sale, put up actual proper sales ticketing, but also put up "everyday great value" ticketing that looked quite similar. They would also often advertise a product at it's normal price and let the consumer assume it's on special. When you read the flyer properly no where on the page did it say this product was any cheaper than usual.

Benlav there is a group you can contact with information on this, fucked if I can remember their name right now. Send an email with your experience and pictures.

Reply #9 Posted: January 25, 2014, 04:50:33 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline zolteg

• Devoted Member
  • zolteg has no influence.
Fuckit, point the Com Com at them.....at least then it'll be confirmed either way...

Reply #10 Posted: January 25, 2014, 05:01:15 pm

Offline han16

• Addicted
  • han16 has no influence.
wow bunch of sly wankers, CL looks to be getting more of my business simply because others are dropping the ball.

Reply #11 Posted: January 25, 2014, 05:12:03 pm
Reverse Jihad Tank Extraordinaire

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
The line of text on each ticket that says "Today's cash price", on the ticket the same as on actual sale products, points to me as misleading

Reply #12 Posted: January 25, 2014, 05:47:46 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
*waits for BenZene to chime in (extensively)*

PB is typically the cheaper of the tech store options out there, but as a consumer, if I'd seen a yellow sticker, and not been curious like benlav, I'd have expected that item to be selling at a lower price. HOWEVER, due to experience with a variety of stores, AND knowing the filthy practices of other stores (intimately), much like benlav, I'm always skeptical as fuck. I'll wander most tech stores with pricespy's website close at hand. You can actually throw a rotten stereotype on most retail stores in the PC/tech industry, and it's shit that it happens, but the practice is rife overseas due to the tiny margins available on technology for the main part.

I'll be interested to read BenZene's commentary on this one.

Reply #13 Posted: January 25, 2014, 06:11:09 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Clin

• Addicted

btw - I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't agree.

Me too bud. All friends here.

Reply #14 Posted: January 25, 2014, 06:55:17 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
I'll be interested to read BenZene's commentary on this one.

(Disclosure:  I play a piano in a whore house, and sometimes I play this type of tune)

To me this looks like a clear breach of the Fair Trading Act.   The Act prohibits (amoung other things) (a) conduct, in trade, that is likely to mislead or deceive (or actually is); (b) conduct that is liable to mislead the public in relation to goods; (c) making false or misleading representations about the price of goods.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1986/0121/latest/DLM96439.html
(See sections 9, 10 and 13 respectively)

I don't think its misleading per se to have a sale and then not discount your product (although you have to be careful about headlines like "50% off").  But they have gone further and attached a big yellow sale price tag.  This will probably give a significant number of consumers the impression that the price has been reduced. For me the missing bit of information (EDIT: I see you mention it later) is what labels did they have on the items that were actually on sale?  If they were the same, its a slam dunk.  But even if they didn't, a lot of people would look at the big yellow tag and understand that to mean the product is on sale because its Auckland Anniversary, as in its price has been reduced.

The Commission has taken action around this kind of this before.  For example:
* Kathmandu were fined 28,000 in 2006 for claiming things were on sale when they were available at the same price immediate before the sale:
http://www.comcom.govt.nz/the-commission/media-centre/media-releases/detail/2006/kathmandufindsoutthetruecostofsale
* Progressives were warned in 2012 about their "20% off" beer and wine sale, where they were selling things at 25% off RRP, notwithstanding that Progressives almost always charges below the RRP:
http://www.comcom.govt.nz/the-commission/media-centre/media-releases/detail/2012/commerce-commission-warns-progressive-enterprises-over-misleading-sales-claims

You could get in touch with their contact centre on Monday (in Wellington, so will be open!) or submit a complain online via here:
http://www.comcom.govt.nz/the-commission/making-a-complaint/online-complaint-form/

However the Commission receives thousands of complaints a year, and is funded to investigate maybe a hundred at most,  and to prosecute 10-20 a year max (sometimes less). So they prioritise, and this would only end up getting prosecuted if this was an area of priority for them, or if they had received a lot of complaints about this store (ie if they are a repeat offender, or if this particular incident affected a lot of people).

Incidentally, while I'm on my soap box:

(a) a lot of businesses go wrong because they think that as long as its true, its not a breach of the law.  But you can mislead people without lying, and its still misleading.  Which means its still illegal.

(b) the law has been tightened up, starting in about 6 months, and soon it will also be prohibited to make claims about your products without reasonable grounds to do so.  That is going to kill some snake oil merchants.  Good luck with selling homeopathy or magnetic blankets for example.   
Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:44:16 pm by BeNZene

Reply #15 Posted: January 25, 2014, 08:05:18 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
There you have it.
I was wrong.

Reply #16 Posted: January 25, 2014, 08:13:39 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
There you have it.
I was wrong.

Like I say, just my view. And I'm sure PBTech can find a much more expensive piano player than me to agree with them ;)

Reply #17 Posted: January 25, 2014, 08:18:11 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
Another minor part I failed to mention. Before giving the girl grief at the counter,  I did explicitly ask her if the yellow stickers meant the item was on sale. To which she said yes. So their intention from her perspective at least was that yellow sticker equal sale.  I then replied that half the shit is the same price as it was last week. Poor girl didn't know what to do.

Reply #18 Posted: January 25, 2014, 08:41:37 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
Another minor part I failed to mention. Before giving the girl grief at the counter,  I did explicitly ask her if the yellow stickers meant the item was on sale. To which she said yes. So their intention from her perspective at least was that yellow sticker equal sale.  I then replied that half the shit is the same price as it was last week. Poor girl didn't know what to do.

Was she surprised?

Reply #19 Posted: January 25, 2014, 08:45:31 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted

Was she surprised?

Yeah, but in a way that she didn't really get paid enough to care.

Reply #20 Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:22:51 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Did she have nice tits?

Reply #21 Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:38:55 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Did she have nice tits?

I think this right here is the question we all want the answer to.

Reply #22 Posted: January 26, 2014, 12:01:36 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Did she have nice tits?

Pics or HoS

Reply #23 Posted: January 26, 2014, 12:18:49 am
Dr. λcula³

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Codex

I like how this thread went from pbtech being dicks to wanting to see the pbtech girls tits

Well played, mentlegen

Reply #24 Posted: January 26, 2014, 11:37:39 am