Topic: Rii's Workout Diary.

Offline Venomoose

• Devoted Member
  • Venomoose has no influence.
Unfortunately when it comes to dieting, you really do have to count calories/macros to make it all worthwhile, and yeah clean foods tend to taste bland. Honestly you just get used to it, and it helps build self discipline imo.

Kinda hard to make further comments on your diet & exercise as you haven't said how many times a week you can go to the gym & long term goals ('toning' makes no sense to me lol).

Reply #25 Posted: June 27, 2012, 01:39:07 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Venomoose;1491635
Unfortunately when it comes to dieting, you really do have to count calories/macros to make it all worthwhile, and yeah clean foods tend to taste bland. Honestly you just get used to it, and it helps build self discipline imo.

Kinda hard to make further comments on your diet & exercise as you haven't said how many times a week you can go to the gym & long term goals ('toning' makes no sense to me lol).

Why does toning make no sense? I posted my goal a few posts back.

Going from 78 - 80Kg in muscle gain is my goal. However, at the end of the day I'm looking at creating definition in my upper body and I suppose I can only really know how much definition I want when I get there - I haven't picked a guy out of a muscle mag and gone OMG I WANT 2 LOOK LIEK DIS GUY. I weighed in last Friday at 78Kg, this morning I'm 76.5Kg.

I'll know more about my schedule and time table when I meet up with my PT again tomorrow where he sets me a decent routine, from there I'll work out what days and what muscles I should be working out to reach my goal.

Reply #26 Posted: June 27, 2012, 08:54:28 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1491644
I haven't picked a guy out of a muscle mag and gone OMG I WANT 2 LOOK LIEK DIS GUY.

You can borrow some of my muscle guy mags if you want.

Reply #27 Posted: June 27, 2012, 09:12:10 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1491645
You can borrow some of my muscle guy mags if you want.

Your muscle mags are just sheets of tinfoil fashioned together to make a book of tinfoil pages.

Reply #28 Posted: June 27, 2012, 09:13:41 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Yes, that is absolutely correct.

Reply #29 Posted: June 27, 2012, 09:24:42 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
pages don't stick together that way.

Reply #30 Posted: June 27, 2012, 09:49:04 am

Offline Erelyes

• Just settled in
  • Erelyes has no influence.
Quote from: Retardobot;1491600
Why is this?

A couple reasons.
Firstly, lifting weights when tired makes it more difficult to keep correct form in the lifting. Form is important to avoid injury.
Secondly, what grows strength / muscle is lifting heavy. If you try doing weights after your cardio, you won't be able to lift as much.
Thirdly, if your goal is definition, you'll achieve that two ways. Firstly, by building muscle, secondly by burning fat. It's easier to focus on building the muscle/strength first, because the more you can lift, the more calories you burn; making fat burn easier.

Obviously if muscle endurance was important to you (e.g. you want to be able to run 5km in under half an hour, or do a 21km half marathon) then you would put more emphasis on cardio, and lift lighter. But keep in mind, even Usain Bolt does squats!

Quote from: Retardobot;1491600
Yep. Have been doing the bicep curls. PT showed me how to do them. My form will get better over time. I'll be shown more exercises come Thursday (next session). For now, I'm doing what I know and what I can when at the gym.

Cool. Just remember that bicep curls target one muscle - the bicep. There are plenty others in your upper body. It's easier doing 3 compound excercises rather than 10 isolating ones.

TBH my lifting form (squat, bench press, overhead press, barbell row, deadlift) is 90% self-taught using vids on the web. When I had my PT session at 7 wks in, I got one or two pointers but that was it. There are lots of demo vids on the web that explain form.
I found these very helpful - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL740E59213CF55DCD&feature=plcp

Don't get me wrong btw, isolation/machines have their place. But for a beginner, compound movements using free weight are best. Start light, focus on form and power, add 1.25kg/side every session. Eat well, get 8hrs sleep/night.

And ignore muscle mags :p  Google Image search 'Roelly Winklaar' for a laugh.

Reply #31 Posted: June 27, 2012, 10:45:04 am

Offline SheepShagger556

• Devoted Member
  • SheepShagger556 has no influence.
Shit mate, I sold my computer bought an expensive mountain bike and dropped 6kg with out a change in diet. Now its winter though I can't ride as much so put back on 2kgs. Bring on Summer!

You will be fine.

Reply #32 Posted: July 03, 2012, 08:22:20 pm
Quote from: Bell;1426496
A guy called SheepShagger telling you to go to the Shed to drink and watch a game of rugby.

This is New Zealand

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I dropped 2 kilo's in the first week with a diet change alone.

Now I've put a kilo back on which I am hoping is muscle because my body fat percentage is still dropping ever so slightly.

Reply #33 Posted: July 04, 2012, 08:09:03 am

Quote from: Retardobot;1492599
Now I've put a kilo back on which I am hoping is muscle

Only way to prove this, is with photos.

Reply #34 Posted: July 04, 2012, 08:58:16 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I've been taking photos every day I visit the gym, which on average so far is 6-7 times a week for an hour - hour an a half a visit.

I'm not sure if it's worth posting photos or even if I feel comfortable posting photos.

If people want photos, I'll post them I guess.

Reply #35 Posted: July 04, 2012, 09:02:22 am

Of course you shouldn't feel comfortable posting photos.

This is an internet gaming forum.

You'll make everyone else jealous of your handsome muscular body.

Reply #36 Posted: July 04, 2012, 09:20:42 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Update:

Roughly 3 weeks in and I am noticing huge changes. I was 78KG, I've now dropped to 75 - 76. Noticing a lot more definition especially around my chest area and my arms. I've relaxed my diet a little but am still adhering to healthy food (fruits, veges, meats without fattening sauces).

Ran out of protein mix last night so will have to grab some more this morning. I didn't expect to go through so much. I average a 3-4L tub every week. 1 drink at breakfast and 1 pre and post workout every night. Thinking about adding a 4th with my lunch as I'm still a few grams off my daily protein intake.

I've managed to work out a rough guide for a workout regime based on what the PT has been having me do but for now I've invested in a few more sessions with him as he does a good job at wrecking my body every time he runs me through a session. My legs are in hell at the moment from a Monday session where the PT noticed that my legs are my strongest assets and turned up the heat to see what I could do. I've never actually been so sore that I need help to get on and off the toilet.

Last night I focused on my chest after not working it for a few days and holy shit, after the first few reps I could feel the difference, I felt like I needed a bra.

Tonight it's abs + arms.

May post up before + after shots at the 6 week mark.

Reply #37 Posted: July 11, 2012, 09:12:01 am

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Good stuff man, keep it up!

Reply #38 Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:17:37 am
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Taking a couple of rest days.

After working my chest on Tuesday after the PT telling me we were going to work abs + arms on Wednesday only to change his mind and end up training me in chest and arms I discovered that I've been going too hard. I've been at the gym everyday for the past 3 weeks and on Wednesday I felt my body telling me to slow down.

So last night I took a rest day and I'm thinking about taking it easy again tonight so I can go hard on abs and shoulders on Saturday.

Jeans have become pretty damn loose as well. Can't afford new ones :\

Reply #39 Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:22:12 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1492607
I'm not sure if it's worth posting photos or even if I feel comfortable posting photos.

If people want photos, I'll post them I guess.

I want photo's

Comfortable now ;)

Reply #40 Posted: July 13, 2012, 01:14:35 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
my2cents

/avoid training (resistance) for longer than an hour
/you only get stronger when you sleep
/stay off machines use free weights and get someone to show you proper form
/if you train (are pushed) to hard you won't enjoy it and stop

luck to you

Reply #41 Posted: July 13, 2012, 01:45:04 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Training is usually anywhere from 45 mins to an hour.

I'm sleeping well. I get in bed anywhere from 9-10pm and get up at 7am.

I'm using a mixture of weights + machines as directed by my PT. Also, PT is teaching me decent form.

Trainer puts my balls to the walls, I hurt the next day but love it.

Reply #42 Posted: July 13, 2012, 01:48:10 pm

Offline Erelyes

• Just settled in
  • Erelyes has no influence.
Quote from: Kopfjaeger;1493900
/avoid training (resistance) for longer than an hour
/you only get stronger when you sleep
/stay off machines use free weights and get someone to show you proper form
/if you train (are pushed) to hard you won't enjoy it and stop

+agree

Retardo, don't train two days in a row as a beginner/intermediate. You need the day after to recover.

Mini-hijack, I am almost squatting with 1X BW (doing 87.5 tomo morning and I weigh ~89). Deadlifting 100, benching 60, pressing 42.5, pendlay rowing 60. All that is 5x5 (except deads which are 1x5). Thats after 2.5-3 months
Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:21:04 pm by Erelyes

Reply #43 Posted: July 17, 2012, 09:18:33 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

The instant you tell anyone you go to the gym and every man and his dog comes out of the wood work and tells you to do this and do that and don't do that regardless of the fact that you've mentioned you're following the advice of a qualified trainer.

Reply #44 Posted: July 17, 2012, 10:14:27 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Bro, I used to be fit as when I was 18. Now I'm ~90Kg, but obviously I know what I'm talking about.
Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:35:56 am by Pyromanik

Reply #45 Posted: July 18, 2012, 12:33:30 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Smashed my records last night.

Have been given the green light to up my protein intake from 180gms a day to 200+.

So this morning it was 4 eggs + 2 protein drinks totaling roughly 75gms in protein for breakfast.

Reply #46 Posted: July 20, 2012, 10:21:03 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Great to hear your through the initial pain and starting to see imporvement. Its easy to see how some people stop prior to results cos it is hard! Well done man, long may results be smashed!

Reply #47 Posted: July 21, 2012, 08:38:17 am

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Quote from: Retardobot;1494465
The instant you tell anyone you go to the gym and every man and his dog comes out of the wood work and tells you to do this and do that and don't do that regardless of the fact that you've mentioned you're following the advice of a qualified trainer.

To be fair a "qualified trainer" doesn't mean much these days. Not saying you're trainer is good, just a lot of young guys out there that basically follow simple guidelines and realistically don't have much of a clue on proper form, exercises, diet and varying techniques to achieve each individuals goals. Most young trainers just have a basic set program they give out to virtually everyone. Also remember the internet is your friend, lots of valuable info regarding everything you could want. Come join us over at http://www.nzbodybuilding.co.nz/index.php, lots of knowledgeable people always will to help anyone regardless of their goals, Its not just a bodybuilding site, more of an overall fitness forum(Bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfit, etc).

Keep up the good work though, train hard, eat right, sleep well, 3 easy steps to follow to reach your goals. And yea basically ignore all the people trying to give you advice unless they have been there done it and are in reasonably good shape themselves.

Reply #48 Posted: July 21, 2012, 03:59:08 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Update. For you, Monkey.

5 week mark next week means I get re-assessed by the PT.

I'd say he's money well spent.

Sorry about camera quality. Mrs. took the camera with her overseas.

Reply #49 Posted: July 27, 2012, 10:56:21 pm