Topic: Good programming language to learn?

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1333741
Again I'd probably use Python, if I knew it.
You should try Python. I learned how to program in Python when I made my own Mount&Blade mod. It was really, really easy.

Kayne: You should definitely give Python a go, if only to create mods and stuff. I found it quite fun having to define almost everything myself!
Quote from: Bell;1333744
Realistically you could stay with C# since the largest proportion of programmer jobs are C#
Bell is right. C# will get you a job.

Java will get you the chicks though:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl1f1-Da0OI

Reply #25 Posted: November 20, 2010, 09:37:35 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
So confused, everyone is yelling at me to use different languages :P

I will probably never get a job in programming. I have an electrician apprenticeship starting next year.

Learning a language is just for fun lol

Reply #26 Posted: November 20, 2010, 09:42:32 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Send me a pm if you have any XNA questions, i'm working on a few games at the moment.

Reply #27 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:13:02 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: `Kayne;1333788
Hmms Problems has convinced me to learn c# since it seems to be most popular, and Python seems to need other programming languages to work well.

TBH, I actually want to learn alot of programming languages, including Java, Lua and now, Python.

Python doesn't need other languages to work, it's Python.
Python is also very popular.

It really depends on what you're trying to do I think. Languages are tools in a programmers arsenal of solutions. Apply the correct tool to the right job. Everyone is telling you different things because we all have different experiences.

Python will teach you good programming basics.
C# will teach you more involved stuff.
True C will teach you more about computer composition and the like.

Also: what Codex said.
Quote from: Codex;1333802
if you can pick up c or c++ as a first language, you can dominate the world.

If you learn C, you've pretty much learnt every language that isn't FORTRAN or COBOL.

Reply #28 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:32:37 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Ugh lol, Do I want to be using command line, or python IDLE (gui)

Idle is just basically a notepad, instead of a command line, which is what I want. But I see no way of executing any scripts.

I think i'll give both C# and Python a good go, I guess.

Reply #29 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:37:56 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
You'll probably find a 'run' under one of the menus.
You could always choose a different IDE. There are plenty out there.

I think even medit (which IS a text editor) supports running of python code. (it's also written in python).

Reply #30 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:40:48 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Lol, I looked, Theres no run.

Different Ide, I spose so lol.

Just to verify, is a Shell a program of a script that is being run?

Reply #31 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:43:08 pm

Offline Pyromanik

GoogleFu says press F5.
http://ai.uga.edu/mc/idle%5Cindex.html

Or, open the "Run" menu and select "Run Module"

Otherwise:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Reply #32 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:46:27 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Yeah Pyro, I worked out that IDLE is really a "Shell" (I don't know what the term means yet)

Turns out I had to go "New" to get to what I wanted.

I know... I know... "Herp Derp."

Reply #33 Posted: November 20, 2010, 10:54:13 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: `Kayne;1333829
Yeah Pyro, I worked out that IDLE is really a "Shell" (I don't know what the term means yet)

Turns out I had to go "New" to get to what I wanted.

I know... I know... "Herp Derp."

Do you really not understand the concept of a shell?

Reply #34 Posted: November 20, 2010, 11:04:27 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
The outer casing?
A hollow casing?
A defensive layer?

I'm guessing the main word would be casing?

Reply #35 Posted: November 20, 2010, 11:14:52 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You should totally learn punch card programming, it's totally in demand right now. You can get 150k+ for punch card programming.

Reply #36 Posted: November 21, 2010, 12:35:29 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1333851
You should totally learn punch card programming, it's totally in demand right now. You can get 150k+ for punch card programming.
First one to make a working version of Crysis wins

Reply #37 Posted: November 21, 2010, 01:21:18 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Problems;1333781
just starting the first planing of a online 3d rpg game with a friend.

Every beginner game dev hobbyist has the dream of making an online 3rd RPG game.
They are one of the hardest and most content filled games imaginable and therefore generally a terrible idea to attempt.
Even a Offline 2D RPG is a shit ton of work, because the game is all about content and not so much about game mechanics.

Reply #38 Posted: November 21, 2010, 01:50:11 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
TBH my goal is to make a 3d fps, I'll probably get my brother to do the 3d shit and i'll just some how work with it.

Reply #39 Posted: November 21, 2010, 02:05:25 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Mod an existing FPS into the game you want.

Actually I have the perfect thing for you.
http://www.udk.com

If I had time to make my own game I would be doing it with that.
I've already mucked around with it abit, I was easily able to modify the guns, change the flight dynamics of one of the vehicles and created a terrain map of Cassino Italy using real world height map information.
Very cool.

Actually I'd recommend that to anyone wanting to try a 3D online RPG too.
It has full networking support you can modify it somewhat for your own needs and obviously the 3D part is taken care of for you.
Which puts you years ahead of making your own engine and you can spend all of your time actually working on the game/storyline

Reply #40 Posted: November 21, 2010, 02:08:43 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: `Kayne;1333868
TBH my goal is to make a 3d fps
Quote from: Bell;1333869
Two of the groups in game development used a program called "FPS Creator" to make their games.

One was called "Sure Shot S.I.T" and the map was of the Information Technology Block (I-Block). You were a disgruntled ex-student who comes back to BIT with a machine gun and thoughts of vengeance. Turns out all of BIT has been zombiefied and you are trapped and have to kill everyone to get out.

Ken Sutton was most disturbed at the screenshots of Zombie Ken Sutton being killed in his office.

Reply #41 Posted: November 21, 2010, 06:14:31 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Design your own first person shooter games

No coding required!

Create your game instantly with the intuitive 3D editor. Drag and drop walls, lights, doors, enemies, ammo, weapons and more - with pixel perfect precision, and watch as they intelligently link together. Then with one click of the mouse, play your game!

I hope they failed

Reply #42 Posted: November 21, 2010, 11:18:26 am

Quote from: Bell;1333865
Quote from: Problems;1333781
just starting the first planing of a online 3d rpg game with a friend.

Every beginner game dev hobbyist has the dream of making an online 3rd RPG game.
They are one of the hardest and most content filled games imaginable and therefore generally a terrible idea to attempt.
Even a Offline 2D RPG is a shit ton of work, because the game is all about content and not so much about game mechanics.

Agreed.

Unless you have a dedicated artist in your team (or a team of dedicated artists), making a content heavy game is a wrong way to go.

I think, if you're just a programmer, make a simple game, but with an interesting and unique gameplay.

or just make a space invaders clone.

Reply #43 Posted: November 21, 2010, 12:19:44 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Codex;1333802
if you can pick up c or c++ as a first language, you can dominate the world.

i do this and dominate the world (its my little world but i still dominate it) :D

Reply #44 Posted: November 21, 2010, 12:47:51 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Best advice is to branch out into a few useful languages.

I've been trying to learn C++ though, but i've only been able to find tutorials which teach the basics, which are the same for any language.

Reply #45 Posted: November 21, 2010, 01:05:49 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1333869

He could learn LUA. He is a gmod admin after all.
Quote from: `Kayne;1333836
The outer casing?
A hollow casing?
A defensive layer?

I'm guessing the main word would be casing?

I am not sure if you are being flippant or not, sooooo..

A shell is a program that provides the user with a interactive interface to the computer's resources, like disks and whatnot. Shells that use a command line interface (like cmd.exe and bash, for example) have a interpreted programming language (meaning it's programs don't have to be compiled to run) and in addition to being able to type commands in one by one you can have the shell read them from a text file, variously called shell scripts and batch files.

Many home computers of the 1980s booted from ROM into interface very similar to IDLE's Python Shell, only in a another very popular interpreted language call BASIC. These days however shell can refer to everything from GUI Desktop environments (like Explorer.exe and GNOME KDE etc) to the thing you type your serach into google with.

Reply #46 Posted: November 21, 2010, 01:22:35 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Pyromanik

Don't be too harsh, everyone starts somewhere.

But that's a good overall description of a shell, yeh.
In a way, it is an outer casing, it is responsible for almost all you see and do with your computer at the user level.
Or at a specific subset of, such as the Python shell. Responsible for all things Python.

It takes time to learn and get your head around the concepts. But you have to learn the basics before you can dive in any deeper. I remember when I first started learning programming (C++). I just wanted to make forms all day, but I had no idea on how to make them actually function (Borland C++ Builder).

Reply #47 Posted: November 21, 2010, 01:40:22 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Lol cheers guys :P

And umm

Quote from: Spoonguard;1333995
He could learn LUA. He is a gmod admin after all.

Ehh, The only thing you could do with gmod with lua is make addons. Which isn't really my kind of thing lol.
Unless you're thinking about Expression2, Which is the programming language which you write ingame to make your stuff do cool shit :P. I was talking To Grumpy Hitler and He was telling me that E2 is pretty much based off the general C programming languages.

Reply #48 Posted: November 21, 2010, 02:23:00 pm

Offline Pyromanik

LOTS of languages are.

Reply #49 Posted: November 21, 2010, 02:25:16 pm