Topic: Warspace: A game i'm making

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
If you dont have any further ideas for Warspace, here are a few:

The Wager
A simple explore and exploit game set on the high seas of a strange new land. Explore the map to find islands and sell them at the docks.

Game contains three main resources: Money, Supplies, and Disease (well PREVENT disease)
http://www.surprisedman.co.uk/the-wager/

The only downside to the game is a lack of colour for colonised islands (yellow = unexplored, red=dock) and it is abit long and there is no real way to figure out how long a trip is (1 square=1 day I think)
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1517982
Having just played Strange Adventures In Infinite Space I think a combination of these two games would create a vastly superior experience.

This one matches your space setting and it has a nice short time limit with a very small play area.

Reply #25 Posted: February 28, 2013, 09:30:05 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I have to track down the source code.

Then I have to decide what platform to use.

I'd like it to be browser based with no plugins, which only really leaves JavaScript and HTML

Reply #26 Posted: March 01, 2013, 07:59:21 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1519466
I'd like it to be browser based with no plugins, which only really leaves JavaScript and HTML

Something like this?
Or Defender of the favicon?

Reply #27 Posted: March 01, 2013, 10:30:19 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1519479
Something like this?

Or Defender of the favicon?

No, it won't be crap like those.

Reply #28 Posted: March 01, 2013, 10:48:48 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1519481
No, it won't be crap like those.

You may need this then:
Windows Store apps for Absolute Beginners with JavaScript
http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Store-apps-for-Absolute-Beginners-with-JavaScript

Reply #29 Posted: March 02, 2013, 01:06:51 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Nothing really tricky about javascript at all.
Except that there are no classes. And pretty much everything is mutable. Except strings.

Reply #30 Posted: March 02, 2013, 01:25:30 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

I need to find the source code for this shit.

Reply #31 Posted: February 07, 2014, 08:43:56 am

Offline Tiwaking!

I need to find the source code for this shit.
Thats odd. I was looking at this topic yesterday because it came up in a search result and was wondering where your project ideas had gone

What a strange place this world is

Reply #32 Posted: February 07, 2014, 09:24:37 am

It's not odd. You gave me rep.

Reply #33 Posted: February 07, 2014, 10:34:32 am

Offline RightHandOnly

• Just settled in
  • RightHandOnly has no influence.
sounds like VGA Planets

Reply #34 Posted: February 07, 2014, 02:17:44 pm
With Age comes Wisdom and Skill.......I have all 3.

I\'m so Leet , I d

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Love the 4X, shall download.

Reply #35 Posted: February 08, 2014, 10:47:37 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Nothing really tricky about javascript at all.
Except that there are no classes. And pretty much everything is mutable. Except strings.

Sorry to Hijack your thread Spacemonkey, but I found a great page about Javascript here
http://js1k.com/2010-first/demos

I was trying to find an ASCII chess board. A link on Wikipedia led me here because someone made an interactive Javascript ASCII chessboard that has an A.I!
http://js1k.com/2010-first/demo/750

Reply #36 Posted: February 27, 2014, 11:38:46 am

Offline Tiwaking!

If you are looking for some ideas for your game, here is a fun little program you can try out:
Space Gen
http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php?topic=26010.0
This isn't quite a game (yet), but an open-source generator for pulp sci-fi settings inspired by How to Host a Dungeon and the Dwarf Fortress world generator. You can view an animated description of the setting's evolution, pause at any time, and export a detailed description of the world as a text file. To try it out, launch the program and keep hitting space to advance, or press R to enter auto-advance mode and come back later. You can move around with the arrow keys and see information about planets by putting the cursor over them.

I was engrossed in watching the universe unfold. Two great empires arose: The alliance of Scaly Green Lizards, Immortal Catoids, and Slim Humanoids (the first three Space Faring Races) and the Theocracy of Feathered Avians

Unfortunately the Theocracy died due to heavy pollution of their homeworld. Then the Scaly Green Lizards died out due to pollution as well, and were replaced by the Scaly Green Robot servants they had created.

This caused a civil war between the Republic of Lizards, Catoids, and Humanoids against the Robots and Humans.

This civil war was never resolved for in the year of our lord 174 the galaxy was struck by the unstoppable Armageddon event known as "Division by Zero Error" because the Robots invaded an uninhabited planet controlled by the Lizard,Catoid,Humanoid republic

Reply #37 Posted: May 17, 2014, 10:51:25 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Hey SpaceMonkey, check this out
http://29a.ch/sandbox/2011/neonflames/#

I wish I knew how it worked. You could use it to generate the background nebulae to your game. Or my game. Or anyones game!

Reply #38 Posted: August 22, 2014, 07:11:23 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
That's pretty cool actually.

A bit on the slow side, but very cool.

Reply #39 Posted: August 23, 2014, 08:23:47 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

That's pretty cool actually.

A bit on the slow side, but very cool.
If I knew how it worked I could use it as a 'passive exploration mechanic' along with creating awesome graphics.

So, say you have a ship moving through dark space, the colours appear and will become stronger along the paths the ship frequently travels. That would give a player an easy visual reference to the movement of fleets or commerce and also potential weaknesses in their empire from enemies as unexplored areas would be weakly coloured or remain dark and unknown.

Reply #40 Posted: August 23, 2014, 09:23:24 am

So I found a old USB drive.

Had a look on it, there was the source code to Warspace.

Reply #41 Posted: December 17, 2014, 08:06:12 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

So I found a old USB drive.

Had a look on it, there was the source code to Warspace.
I've been playing a few hundred different games people have been making.
There are so many terrible or unfinished games out there.
There are some great games that are unfinished (e.g Goblin Camp, C-evo).
Try not to let Warspace be either of these.

Reply #42 Posted: December 17, 2014, 08:22:30 pm