Topic: Studying Computer Programming

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
It's been several months since I've finished at MDS and nothing has really worked out because NZ just doesn't have the industry to support my education, and moving isn't an option for various reasons. Even if it was, I'm not sure the lifestyle is suitable for me as I want something more consistent.

So lately I've been thinking about what I can do instead, and the reason I've been doing crap all for the past few months is because I can't come to a decision on whether to study again or not, but now I'm at the point where there's really little other option.

So I had a few questions. I was going to ask AUT, but then I wondered if AUT is more of a business than a school like Massey who just tell you whatever to make an extra few bucks, so better to get somewhat unbiased opinions on these things. Other thing is, is university even the best idea? Is AUT an appropriate place to study this compared to other options?

I think I'd like to end up making desktop programs for windows or even linux, or even making video games.

1) I'd like to minimize the time I'm studying, but comp science is 3 years which is one of the biggest reasons against wanting to do it. Is there a better alternative?

2) My math is extremely poor, and that needs to change, will comp science carry my hand throughout the first year or do I need to fix this myself prior to beginning?

3) Did you study some form of programming, what was it, and what were your thoughts? What did you learn from this endeavour that could be useful to others who are interested in this line of work?

Lastly, any advice that comes to mind?

Posted: October 08, 2012, 03:35:03 pm
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Programming for programmings sake is boring, have you tried modding, then learning as you go? It's better to have a project that needs you to learn something to make it happen.

In before thread falls apart

Reply #1 Posted: October 08, 2012, 03:53:30 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Plumber's apprentice.

Reply #2 Posted: October 08, 2012, 03:54:10 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Emrico1;1504951
Programming for programmings sake is boring, have you tried modding, then learning as you go? It's better to have a project that needs you to learn something to make it happen.

In before thread falls apart

Modding games and the like? Never really appealed to me. I want something I can do professionally, doesn't involve a lot of moving around to find work, and isn't difficult to get the work i.e jobs are actually available.

Actually having to attend school or a course would be the best option for me to learn because I do better in a like-minded environment rather than sitting in a room on my laptop plugging away at something. Atmosphere helps. The qualification on your CV doesn't hurt, either.

Quote from: Zarkov;1504952
Plumber's apprentice.

Sure you're just trolling, but yes that's actually a pretty decent idea, if you don't mind that type of work it pays quite well :P
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:04:22 pm by Oddball

Reply #3 Posted: October 08, 2012, 03:58:46 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: Oddball;1504950
1) I'd like to minimize the time I'm studying

2) My math is extremely poor

Lastly, any advice that comes to mind?

Yeah.

Don't study.

Reply #4 Posted: October 08, 2012, 03:59:05 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Not trolling.

More people need to train for occupations that we actually need.

Reply #5 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:01:46 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Where abouts in NZ are you?

I did this
http://www.manukau.ac.nz/programme-data/computing-and-it/bachelor-of-information-systems

It was programming/software develoment mixed in with with a bit of business.

Have a look to see if AUT has something like it.
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:08:58 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #6 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:06:02 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Zarkov;1504957
Not trolling.

Plumbing doesn't really appeal to me.

Quote from: swindle;1504956
Yeah.

Don't study.

Does not compute. Math poor. Don't study == math remain poor.

What?.

Reply #7 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:06:33 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1504958
Where abouts in NZ are you?

I did this
http://www.manukau.ac.nz/programme-data/computing-and-it/bachelor-of-information-systems

I'm in Parnell (just out of Auckland City, walking distance)

Reply #8 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:06:52 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1504957
Not trolling.

Like Computer Programming.

Our company is always needing to hire new developers.

It doesn't need any more plumbers.
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:10:33 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #9 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:07:30 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1504961
Like Computer Programming.

Our company is always needing to hire new developers.

I doesn't need any more plumbers.

Programmers are in demand, good point :P

Edited for google map fail.

Reply #10 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:12:00 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
So one question still unanswered. Is there a better alternative to this 3 year course, whether it's comp sci or bachelor of IT that monkey did.

Actually most of my questions still unanswered =D

Reply #11 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:15:14 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Just get in contact with universities you think you'd like to study at. Ask them what they offer and how they offer it.

I've just done a month or 2 of research into Masters papers offered across universities in NZ.

Have decided to take my Masters with RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) via distance learning.

Do your homework.

Reply #12 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Retardobot;1504964
Just get in contact with universities you think you'd like to study at. Ask them what they offer and how they offer it.

I've just done a month or 2 of research into Masters papers offered across universities in NZ.

Have decided to take my Masters with RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) via distance learning.

Do your homework.

I shall, but doesn't hurt to get other opinions / extra information / etc. It's not like people HAVE to take time to respond to this thread :P

One of my concerns is that massey baited my sister into studying there, a course she's already done in high school, partially her fault for lack of homework done as you just mentioned, but still, cuntish business people == not really a school. Makes me trust what universities say less.

Anywayyy, I'm going to arrange an appointment to discuss this course with an advisor at university of auckland, since they're the most practical choice, and see what they say to start with.

AUT has such a nice layout in the sense it says "Pick three from here, seven from there" whereas university of auckland just has a splatter of subjects and shit all info. I've never been to university (ofc I've studied on the level) so little confusing for me.
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:25:56 pm by Oddball

Reply #13 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:22:22 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I have some questions you should ask yourself (and I mean this without trolling)

You say your maths is poor - what about your analytical and logical skills - generally those with poor maths also aren't too sharp when it comes to logic and analysing things.

These are also skills that are required as a programmer and generally you are able to think logically and analytically or you can't - if you can't, being a programmer isn't going to be the job for you.

Are you wanting to be a programmer because writting code interests you/you like making programs better or because there are lots of jobs in that field and you think it will be a cool job?

be wary about jumping on the Band Wagon when it comes to careers - do what you are good at, not necersarrily what has a lot of job vacancies.

Reply #14 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:25:34 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1504966
I have some questions you should ask yourself (and I mean this without trolling)

You say your maths is poor - what about your analytical and logical skills - generally those with poor maths also aren't too sharp when it comes to logic and analysing things.

These are also skills that are required as a programmer and generally you are able to think logically and analytically or you can't - if you can't, being a programmer isn't going to be the job for you.

Are you wanting to be a programmer because writting code interests you/you like making programs better or because there are lots of jobs in that field and you think it will be a cool job?

be wary about jumping on the Band Wagon when it comes to careers - do what you are good at, not necersarrily what has a lot of job vacancies.

My role at school as a Creature TD required logic and problem solving, I think I could be good at math if I had ever, once in my life, actually had a decent teachers on the subject, not some ass who sat there frowning at his students and being a dick. Had the same teacher all through high school and he was useless.

Following that I never had any form of study that required math. So that type of thinking isn't completely alien, it's just math itself that is and I believe I can learn it and be good at it, or at least functional.

But problem solving itself is no problem for me, har. Analytical thinking is pretty much the core of being a Creature TD.

I've done a bit of python for the sake of my role, to automate tasks etc. but I have no real foundation in it, and this course would give me that. I've also wanted to branch out into C++ and C# possibly, but I'm not confident enough and run into issues I can't find solutions to because, as mentioned, I'm missing a foundation.

Programming genuinely interests me and it was for that reason that I studied 3D (not programming interesting me, 3D interesting me!), the difference here is that programming actually has work available in NZ.

Reply #15 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:31:34 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #16 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:46:49 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Growler;1504969
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/an-introduction-to-c.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers-software/programming/chash.html

There's heaps of such resources, gone through some myself in the past, but it's not going to give me the foundation I need and I already mentioned about the atmosphere / environment. I think it's the difference between being a rock solid programmer and a cowboy programmer.

Reply #17 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:51:24 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Programming is a bitch

"oh you missed a semi-colon on line 45876289 and on line 8932781994... but me, your friendly compiler, isn't going to tell you that, I'm just going to refuse to work without reason"

Reply #18 Posted: October 08, 2012, 04:57:43 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1504972
Programming is a bitch

"oh you missed a semi-colon on line 45876289 and on line 8932781994... but me, your friendly compiler, isn't going to tell you that, I'm just going to refuse to work without reason"

I'm already used to that.

Maya likes to do this:

"Syntax Error". You want line numbers? I DONT THINK SO.

Rage. Eventually I got used to it and it's happened less and less since, probably because I'm more aware of the common mistakes I make.

One of the things I genuinely love about programming is making art related applications and miniature video games, not that I ever do them, because I suck at it =D

There are some projects in my mind at almost all times either way. So I don't think I'll ever run out of stuff I actually want to make, and doing this course will let me do that on the side, I'm sure if I sell my applications at $1-2 a license I'll be set ;p
Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:05:05 pm by Oddball

Reply #19 Posted: October 08, 2012, 05:01:59 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Good answer ;)

Personally I try to teach myself everything I want to know, because I learn better that way, so I have never looked around at study options for it, but it sounds like something that would be worthwhile for you

Reply #20 Posted: October 08, 2012, 05:06:31 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I wouldn't advise postgrad study at Massey.

Steve Maharey is a deceitful prick. He's an ex politician so no suprises there.

Reply #21 Posted: October 08, 2012, 05:31:47 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Retardobot;1504984
I wouldn't advise postgrad study at Massey.

Steve Maharey is a deceitful prick. He's an ex politician so no suprises there.

I wouldn't advise any study at Massey after what my sister had to put up with. No problem screwing over students at all.

Reply #22 Posted: October 08, 2012, 05:35:32 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
You're all talk and no action.

A fast flowing river of contradiction.

Reply #23 Posted: October 08, 2012, 05:37:09 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
Quote from: swindle;1504986
You're all talk and no action.

A fast flowing river of contradiction.

What are you even on about? I've only just bought this up, I don't think I'm expected or even should take action within the first day, I have homework to do as rii put it and people to talk to. I have a fuck ton of questions to ask them before I'll make a decision.

I don't know why you keep making baseless statements.

Reply #24 Posted: October 08, 2012, 05:41:36 pm