Topic: One Game A Month

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
One Game A Month is exactly what it says on the tin: A challenge to create one video game every month. And, as crazy as it sounds, there are surprising number of people trying to do so! With 1060 Games Released In January 2013!
http://www.onegameamonth.com/

Earn XP for doing what you love: making games!
Your quest is to try to create one new game each month. Sounds crazy but it CAN be done: 1088 games and counting! Join us. Level up your gamedev skills, earn XP and achievements, and build your portfolio. Oh, and it's fun, too.

Please only post games that are fully playable with a beginning, middle and end. No empty placeholders. Wait to submit until you're actually done the project. After submitting, you can keep working on it if you like, but once it is listed here it should be close to complete so that people who click it get an actual game to play.

One such game is the superb - Puzzle Monsters, a mix of Bejeweled, Puzzle Bobble, and Pokemon
http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/PuzzleMonsters/

So if you like playing new games you should give these a try. If you like making games, then this might be a good incentive to try making one game a month.

Posted: February 07, 2013, 02:08:21 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Will you be doing Space Mines Delux Part 2 in a month.

I want to harvest resources with my expendible crew.

Reply #1 Posted: February 07, 2013, 08:33:40 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

I want to harvest resources with my expendible crew.

Reply #2 Posted: February 07, 2013, 08:37:40 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1517105

I want to harvest my expendible crew for resources.

...what??

Reply #3 Posted: February 07, 2013, 10:11:24 am

That sounds more profitable.

Reply #4 Posted: February 07, 2013, 10:13:11 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Don't worry and start doing. Remember, there is no try - just do or do not.

+Points.

Reply #5 Posted: February 07, 2013, 10:10:53 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Pyromanik;1517187
+Points.

Because I dont do anything for a living, Ive decided to play every single game in january. I've still got quite a way to go.

Here is the current list:
* = Unplayable
* Super Sloth Jazz Jam (iphone)
Pung - Its Pong, but worse. The reflection physics means infinite unvaried bounces
* Blacksmith Dash (android)
* Exploration Platformer (xna) crashed hard. LOADS of fun though!
My Cooking Lab (flash) (french)
Bruce Willis Rides Again - Really Really hard
* The Marvelous Megaphone - Missing Resources
* Will and Ed's Heart-Racing Adventure (unity)
* Where is Love (apk)
glowing architecture (text adventure) - instant death
* Throne Once, Lost Twice (flash)
* Bllue Max (unity)
* Robot Mayhem Game (OSAKit Player)
The Living Game (flash) - Random levels with "do you like this level?"
Tonys Key (html5) B&W Precision Platformer
Gates of Rath (flash) Pac Man esque maze puzzle game
* Space Gunner (unity)
* Zen Tiles (unity)
Cyborg Ninja 2030 (flash) - Shinobi
* Kalima - Register
* KOHO Blackjack - XNA 4.0
* Christmas jump (unity)
Stinky Pete - 2.5d Boulder Dash style Puzzle Game
Less Than Three - Odd defend a beating heart game
Dark Organism - Strange b&w hunter/hunted game
* Where is Love (unity)
Connection (html5) Weird networking pipeline style game
Phlaze - Competitive Katamari
Fortress Firefighters - Life
Explosion Troubles (html5) - fiendishly fun platformer. Run, Jump, or Die
* Mothership Defence (unity)
Thera'Py - Not a game. Just a question and response exercise where you talk to yourself
* HRTBT - Runs in some unrecognised resolution
Star Walrus Apocalypse (flash) rtype clone
* Rift Gambit (unity)
* The Apartment (unity)
* Mosaic (apk)
Besouro (flash) - Top Down jumping puzzle game. Frogger style
Tom Was Loving - not a game.
Booster - Simplistic but charming platformer in the style of a weaponless mario
There's a girl who works down the chipshop swears her name is Elvira - Text Adventure

Reply #6 Posted: February 07, 2013, 10:47:38 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Not in the "One Game A Month" but a brilliant game nonetheless:
WTF
http://www.aoedipus.net/dist/wtfloader.html

2D side scrolling World of Warcraft with excellent dialogue.

Reply #7 Posted: February 12, 2013, 08:14:29 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

http://www.onegameamonth.com/games
Bloody hell there are some terrible games. The website claims 7058 games, but the number of them that barely count as games is huge.

I mean, look at this craptacular:
http://www.darshanrane.com/games/header/
You move your character left and right with the arrow keys and get one point for every ball you get.

In any decent game development book, that wouldnt even constitute the first paragraph.

I've always wondered why great Video Games tend to be absolutely dominated by a few individuals, people like Warren Spector or Ken Levine or Lord British or Peter Molyneaux or Sid Meier or Markus Persson. Oh, and dont forget Shigeru Miyamoto of course.

Well, it just turns out that there are, for some reason or another, there are people in this world who are absolutely amazing at creating video games. And that the skill of creating a great video game is rare. And by rare I am talking Runescape Blue partyhat rare. I dont even play Runescape and even I know how rare they are.

I guess what I am trying to say here is: if you can make a game with good potential, you are 80% better than the rest of the world

Reply #8 Posted: July 17, 2014, 12:04:18 am

So no word yet on Space Mines Deluxe Part 2?

I expect to have to apply for resource consent for asteroid mining, which will take 2 to 3 years to get approved. And expensive law suits whenever one of my crew dies through negligence.

Realism!

Reply #9 Posted: July 17, 2014, 08:15:49 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
http://www.onegameamonth.com/games
Bloody hell there are some terrible games. The website claims 7058 games, but the number of them that barely count as games is huge.

I mean, look at this craptacular:
http://www.darshanrane.com/games/header/
You move your character left and right with the arrow keys and get one point for every ball you get.

In any decent game development book, that wouldnt even constitute the first paragraph.

I've always wondered why great Video Games tend to be absolutely dominated by a few individuals, people like Warren Spector or Ken Levine or Lord British or Peter Molyneaux or Sid Meier or Markus Persson. Oh, and dont forget Shigeru Miyamoto of course.

Well, it just turns out that there are, for some reason or another, there are people in this world who are absolutely amazing at creating video games. And that the skill of creating a great video game is rare. And by rare I am talking Runescape Blue partyhat rare. I dont even play Runescape and even I know how rare they are.

I guess what I am trying to say here is: if you can make a game with good potential, you are 80% better than the rest of the world

Hmm, that's starting to get a bit philosophical there though Tiwa!
There's a great difference between being able to make a good game, and being able to design a good game.

Granted in the past folks like Molyneaux have been able to scoot past juggling both roles, but they're not intrinsicly linked. Does Miyamoto actually do dev too? I don't even know.

Reply #10 Posted: July 20, 2014, 11:37:10 am

Offline Tiwaking!

There's a great difference between being able to make a good game, and being able to design a good game.

Granted in the past folks like Molyneaux have been able to scoot past juggling both roles, but they're not intrinsicly linked.

Disagree.
QWOP by Bennett Foddy is a good single player game.
GIRP is an even better game because it works Multiplayer as well.
Oh, and lets not forget the two best games:
Tetris by Alexey Pajitnov
Scorched Earth by Wendell Hicken

You'll find that later games reincorporate ideas from the older games made by Programmer/Designers. A good example is Ufo: Enemy Unknown
Julian Gollop of Mythos Games designed Laser Squad which became the UFO series.
William G M Leslie III and Thomas Ralph Carbone of Omnitrend Software had previously made the Breach and Rules of Engagement series of games.
UFO is a combination of these two games (Breach and Rules of Engagement) plus the ideas from Laser Squad (which is based on Breach). And all of the game elements come from Board games, notably SFB.

Im not sure what my point was, but a Japanese proverb goes “To teach is to learn.” and there are a whole lot more game/video game development teachers these days than there were back then.

Oh wait, I remembered my point: The ability to make something good is directly proportional to the ability to recognise what would make it good. Good Games, like good music, create a positive feedback loop in the user.

This is why parasitic game studios like Zynga are destined to fail
Does Miyamoto actually do dev too? I don't even know.
Yes. But not so much anymore.
He graduated from the Kanazawa Municipal College of Industrial Arts with a degree in industrial design.
Thanks to him, this is what their graduation ceremony looks like
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/03/05/the-japanese-universities-where-graduation-is-one-giant-cosplay-party【photos】/

I expect to have to apply for resource consent for asteroid mining, which will take 2 to 3 years to get approved. And expensive law suits whenever one of my crew dies through negligence.

Realism!
Why would the Mayor *cough* ABSOLUTE RULER *cough* of a colony need consent?
Silly SpaceMonkey
That is what the Execute Council button is for

Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:43:15 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #11 Posted: July 20, 2014, 03:41:13 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Granted in the past folks like Molyneaux have been able to scoot past juggling both roles, but they're not intrinsicly linked.
Disagree.
QWOP by Bennett Foddy is a good single player game.
GIRP is an even better game because it works Multiplayer as well.
Oh, and lets not forget the two best games:
Tetris by Alexey Pajitnov
Scorched Earth by Wendell Hicken

You'll find that later games reincorporate ideas from the older games made by Programmer/Designers. A good example is Ufo: Enemy Unknown
Julian Gollop of Mythos Games designed Laser Squad which became the UFO series.
William G M Leslie III and Thomas Ralph Carbone of Omnitrend Software had previously made the Breach and Rules of Engagement series of games.
UFO is a combination of these two games (Breach and Rules of Engagement) plus the ideas from Laser Squad (which is based on Breach). And all of the game elements come from Board games, notably SFB.

Im not sure what my point was, but a Japanese proverb goes “To teach is to learn.” and there are a whole lot more game/video game development teachers these days than there were back then.

Oh wait, I remembered my point: The ability to make something good is directly proportional to the ability to recognise what would make it good. Good Games, like good music, create a positive feedback loop in the user.

This is why parasitic game studios like Zynga are destined to fail

Hmm, true. I was thinking about games like this (which I categorise as 'time-wasters') as I typed... but the deallyoh with them is that they're generally based around a single mechanic (and are proud of it, as opposed to modern 'in depth' or 'immersive' games that are really just based around QTE boss battles and copious amounts of bloom so hopefully the player won't notice).

But then may time wasters aren't any less of a game just because they're mundane and repetitive... the difference between good and bad is as you say, recognising what works and what doesn't (especially when attempting to combine mechanics), and balancing the skill to repetition ratio.

Eg. If you played Action Potato for more than 3 rounds at once you'd probably think it's pretty crap too. But it's actually surprisingly fun for a couple of minutes to ... well... kill some time (waiting for train/plane/bus, etc).

Reply #12 Posted: July 20, 2014, 04:20:24 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

But then may time wasters aren't any less of a game just because they're mundane and repetitive... the difference between good and bad is as you say, recognising what works and what doesn't (especially when attempting to combine mechanics), and balancing the skill to repetition ratio.

That is not entirely true (the skill to repetition ratio). The web series Extra Credits points out what repetition really is, a Skinner Box

Extra Credits: The Skinner Box
A good example of why this works is: Cow Clicker. Cow Clicker sounds like a ridiculous for a game. You click on a cow every so many hours. But then we have this (a video I show my game development class)

How far will you go for Fantastic Delites? - Delite-o-matic
Humanity hasnt moved too far from their monkey orgins

Here is an example of a 'time waster' which is so well written that you can totally excuse the terrible gameplay and graphics.

<3 the music though
http://andwhathave.eu/~afal/surfing_ace/
♪ Hunk Hunk! HUUUUNNNNNKKKKKKK ♪

Reply #13 Posted: July 20, 2014, 06:08:42 pm

Offline Pyromanik

phew, for a moment there i thought you were going to link farmville :<

Reply #14 Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:06:50 am

Offline Tiwaking!

This game might tide you over until Space Mines Universe is done:

Space Engineers Review (Alpha) - Is it Worth a Buy?

Reply #15 Posted: July 23, 2014, 09:48:31 pm