Topic: Thoughts? Selling desktop to buy lappy...reasonable price.

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
  • desertergreg has no influence.
Ahoy there kids and kidettes...wait thats... nevermind.

I'm thinking sell me old faithful, and going minimal.

so old faithful is:
Asus 300 case
intel i5 750 2.67GHz
4G Ram cant remember what but can update at some stage.
W7 64bits
xfx radeon 6950 xxx edition
asus neo eco 620
500G drive SCSI
150G drive ATA

2 x contolled fans in
2 x "controlled fans" out

now its bin a while so im pretty rusty on my tech stuff, but what says you this be worth?

obviously the 'disk' drives are holding it back a bit, i never got around to upgrading thems.

Also, Im thinking of getting this:

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=368/ID=20002/SID=854103852/productdetails.html

so thoughts on this being a reasonable replacement would be appreciated....

now before you go ahead and post your 2 cents in the slot, just remember im after affordable and does the job (bf3/4), no need to go high end etc and give me options out of the ball park...

see pics attached...(skull not included(unless you want to add $400))

Posted: March 29, 2013, 07:20:41 pm
Quote from: Nostargate;1363344
I roofled once, it was a party.....i was young and naive.....................................

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Why do you want a "gaming laptop"? Do you need to be portable for some reason?

Others on here have gone to laptops, then back to desktops. You get a lot better value for money out of a desktop, plus being much more up-gradable.

Reply #1 Posted: March 29, 2013, 07:24:36 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
sigh...i know.

my reasons are:
it takes up a whole lotta space and looks messy.
i dont want to leave the comfort of my lounge
internet is twice as fast at work, plus it would be handy to be able to bring everything into work regularly and back home again (design stuff)
i want to buy something new
um thats all...

not great reasons.

if you think i need talking out of it go ahead...

oh and my wife may be more tolerant of me gaming if its in the same room as her even though she has her nose planted in her laptop and is otherwise ignoring me.

for this last reason i tried xbox. it isnt the same...
Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:36:20 pm by desertergreg

Reply #2 Posted: March 29, 2013, 07:29:06 pm
I roofled once, it was a party.....i was young and naive.....................................

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #3 Posted: March 29, 2013, 07:51:09 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
is it me, or does the same rig (ish) be the same price though?

Reply #4 Posted: March 29, 2013, 08:27:43 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
That's in $US and you will need to pay import taxes which I think will just be GST so %15

Reply #5 Posted: March 29, 2013, 08:46:53 pm

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
build yourself a nice matx gaming rig and call it done.. half the space needed with better bang for buck, and get a Surface Pro Tablet or other windows 8 pro tablet for mobile stuff.

Reply #6 Posted: March 29, 2013, 08:47:25 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
The thing to remember with laptops is that even though the part model numbers look the same, they don't have the same power.
The little 'm' on the end of model numbers represents a considerable drop in performance.

So many people will buy the laptop with the 670m in it expecting similar power to a 670, eg;
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+670M/review

Reply #7 Posted: March 29, 2013, 09:06:15 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
mmm indeed, which is why ive been using these and generally comparing pixels per second etc to compare, particularly as AMD and nvidia cards work different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

is it accurate to compare fillrates across brands in this way though?

anyway the point is im not comparing my 6950 directly with the aboves 7970m directly, although if fillrate is a reasonable way to compare then they do seem to stack up with each other.

directly.

Reply #8 Posted: March 29, 2013, 10:28:21 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
im assuming i can also just plug in a bigger screen if i want to with an HDMI cable?
or even a tv? does that even work a tv? Does it push your GPU because its a much bigger screen?

Reply #9 Posted: March 29, 2013, 10:54:28 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Yep you can plug it into a bigger screen no problems, plugging it into a TV won't make a difference the performance is based on resolution not screen size.

Reply #10 Posted: March 29, 2013, 11:16:37 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
I feel like I've seen delay between a laptop screen and tv screen?
Or am I tripping?

Reply #11 Posted: March 30, 2013, 11:32:45 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Input lag. TV is not as fast as a pc monitor.

2ms vs ...16ms?

Reply #12 Posted: March 30, 2013, 02:40:56 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
Mmm that is too muchee

Why is that anyway? It's unfortunate.
Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:57:35 pm by desertergreg

Reply #13 Posted: March 30, 2013, 04:14:32 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Pffft 750 gig wont hold much midget goat fisting :apathy:

Reply #14 Posted: March 31, 2013, 12:49:29 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
TVs where never designed around ultra fast response times for FPS etc...

Reply #15 Posted: March 31, 2013, 02:35:44 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
This is true. That's what external hard ons are for.

Reply #16 Posted: March 31, 2013, 02:36:39 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
Hang on, does this mean all Xbox/whatever other console have a 16ms delay because of the tv?

Reply #17 Posted: March 31, 2013, 05:06:03 pm

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
Ok this has also become an Athlon a10 vs i7 question too.

:(

Reply #18 Posted: April 02, 2013, 07:25:58 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: desertergreg;1522244
Hang on, does this mean all Xbox/whatever other console have a 16ms delay because of the tv?
I think that's the least of the worry, especially with wireless controllers.
Quote from: desertergreg;1522291
Ok this has also become an Athlon a10 vs i7 question too.

:(
Is that really a question? The only reason I would even consider going AMD is if you plan to use integrated graphics*, otherwise INTEL, INTEL, INTEL.

*And even then I wouldn't go AMD

Reply #19 Posted: April 02, 2013, 08:41:32 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You should mention that your case has anti-gravity generators which allow it to hover in mid air.

That's some pretty cool tech, will add at least an extra $2,500,000 to your selling price.

Reply #20 Posted: April 02, 2013, 08:52:28 am

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
Pfft who needs desks? Actually I just bought some crazy ass cooling fans. Lil noisy, but as cool as a polar bears toenails.

Ok ok ok. I'm just used to focusing on gpu's not processors. And on that score the 7970m beats the gtx660 as far as I can tell, but of course the i7 beats the a10...

This seems like its going in circles :/

Learning though, lots of learning new stuff.
Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:31:00 am by desertergreg

Reply #21 Posted: April 02, 2013, 09:27:23 am

Offline desertergreg

• Devoted Member
I've decided bell is right.

Reply #22 Posted: April 03, 2013, 11:37:48 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: desertergreg;1522379
I've decided bell is right.
Don't tell him that, but yes.

Reply #23 Posted: April 03, 2013, 12:10:38 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1522292
I think that's the least of the worry, especially with wireless controllers.

Is that really a question? The only reason I would even consider going AMD is if you plan to use integrated graphics*, otherwise INTEL, INTEL, INTEL.

*And even then I wouldn't go AMD

Intel for Power!

POWAAAARRR!

Reply #24 Posted: April 03, 2013, 12:23:10 pm