Topic: Ukraine protests

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...

Posted: January 22, 2014, 12:02:24 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
I did a crash course last night. It's all pretty insane. The videos of the special forces getting molotov'd were scary. I went to GCSB protests last year thinking I was "being active" when really I'm just living in paradise.

I've read that the new anti protest laws brought through over there were voted on by show of hands and the count was estimated. The Ukrainian Parliament are supposed to use a digital voting system for official records, but I guess they're past that.

Infographic of new Ukrainian anti protest laws

Reply #1 Posted: January 24, 2014, 04:49:31 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Did you see the ones where the special forces were THROWING the molotovs? Some absolute bullshit going on over there for sure.

Reply #2 Posted: January 25, 2014, 12:17:51 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Ukraine PM (but not the President) has resigned, and anti-protest law has been scrapped. Sounds like some success for the protesters?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11193342

Reply #3 Posted: January 29, 2014, 07:40:30 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Not for the reason they were protesting in the first place... :/

Reply #4 Posted: January 29, 2014, 07:48:00 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Oh man, things have escalated as I feared they would. It's a full scale revolution now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26280710

Apparently a truce is in the works... we'll see :/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26267220

Yeah nah collapsed like a house of cards.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26269221
Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:14:23 am by Pyromanik

Reply #5 Posted: February 21, 2014, 09:10:53 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...

Reply #6 Posted: February 21, 2014, 04:40:31 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
wow, stunning images. What a complete clusterfuck of a scenario, and there really aint an end in view!

Reply #7 Posted: February 21, 2014, 04:48:27 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
This could just be the start:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/20/ukraine-protests-spread-from-kiev

Fears have grown that the entire country is moving closer to widespread civil violence after a televised warning by Oleksandr Yakimenko, head of the state security service, the SBU. "In many regions of the country, municipal buildings, offices of the interior ministry, state security and the prosecutor general, army units and arms depots are being seized," he said.

The SBU said 1,500 guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition had been seized in the last few days, though the figures could not be independently confirmed. Some opposition activists denied that weapons had been taken.

Scary thought - if the pro-EU opposition was winning, at what point might Russia send troops in?  And would other countries send troops too?

Reply #8 Posted: February 21, 2014, 05:40:20 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Scary thought - if the pro-EU opposition was winning, at what point might Russia send troops in?  And would other countries send troops too?

I think Russia might, I doubt Nato would.

Reply #9 Posted: February 21, 2014, 05:44:44 pm

Offline Pyromanik

This could just be the start:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/20/ukraine-protests-spread-from-kiev

Fears have grown that the entire country is moving closer to widespread civil violence after a televised warning by Oleksandr Yakimenko, head of the state security service, the SBU. "In many regions of the country, municipal buildings, offices of the interior ministry, state security and the prosecutor general, army units and arms depots are being seized," he said.

The SBU said 1,500 guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition had been seized in the last few days, though the figures could not be independently confirmed. Some opposition activists denied that weapons had been taken.

Russia won't send troops unless the EU support is also forceful. Especially with the olympics.
But considering half of Ukraine is full of Russians, I imagine Russia would step in to protect them if it really came down to it. Otherwise I think they're more interested in keeping their noses clean at the moment.

It's getting closer and closer to a division of the country, such as like Berlin (only perhaps without a wall) where 'Western Ukraine' sides with the EU and 'Eastern Ukraine' absorbs back into Russia (totally, as in becomes Russia).

But half the issue is that there are militants running around causing shit unrelated to the truth behind the protests in the first place. Neo-facists (nazis) etc. We all know how peaceful the protests started. And it was amazing it continued on as long as it did without incident. Reading back will reveal much more interesting information, as now the issues are all muddied and mixed together. Eg. there's now a truce and scheduled election, etc. But extreme right 'leaders' are saying if the President doesn't step down in the next few days they will invade, WITH firearms.

The first external influence to inject troops, for whatever reason (eg. peacekeeping), will likely end up wiht an extremely negative spin in internal and external media. 'Meddling', etc. Or seen as trying to sway the result, etc. No one wants that.

The root of the issue is politics. So talks and mediation are the way forward for now. But that could change.
Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:10:01 am by Pyromanik

Reply #10 Posted: February 22, 2014, 09:05:05 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
Big moves overnight
- Parliament claims to vote out President
- New Elections in May
- President's arch rival released from Prison
- Some of President's supports have fled to Russia

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/9754327/Ukraine-protesters-take-Kiev-president-says-coup

Also this is the arch rival:
Spoiler :

Reply #11 Posted: February 23, 2014, 08:46:29 am

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
and this is President Yanukovich's house;
http://zyalt.livejournal.com/1007568.html

Reply #12 Posted: February 23, 2014, 10:14:24 am

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
Sure pays to be in Russia's pocket. That is the most opulent shit I've ever seen.

Reply #13 Posted: February 23, 2014, 12:44:04 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!

I know.. she's 53 and I would bang the fuck out of that ;-P

Reply #14 Posted: February 23, 2014, 04:46:31 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeh she looks fit, but can be scorpian tailed I hear.
Plus the Princess Leia look never really did anything for me, personally.

I liked Timoshekno, thought she was jailed out of some bullshit corruption charges, but more importantly by corrupt folks angling for a look in, which they succeeded at. Now the country is how it is. So we'll see how this goes now.

On the other hand, she's not all that popular because of the gas deal she signed, spun by the current president to be seen as out for herself, lining her pockets, etc. And she was found guilty after all...

I've heard bullshit reports about all kinds of stuff, so it's hard to know what's really going on. I've heard reports about her inciting the protesters to carry on, and not to leave their occupations until they've won. So I've also heard that spun to be inciting more fighting, although I don't think that's what she meant.

In the longer term, when the election comes I think she could be a "better than the other one" vote, but her popularity may have well changed by then to be the 'yes please' kind. Will be interesting to see how it goes in the end.

Especially since the president's house grounds have been opened up for all Ukrainians to see... there's no way he should be able to afford it, even on a president's salary. Corruption is everywhere in Ukraine, I guess the ultimate outcome here is for a real government who's honest intentions are to improve the country, be for the people etc, not just be corrupt.

Sure pays to be in Russia's pocket. That is the most opulent shit I've ever seen.

Not sure what this is about.
Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:12:31 am by Pyromanik

Reply #15 Posted: February 23, 2014, 11:48:24 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator

Not sure what this is about.

Yanukovich's "house".. Which from what I've read, is more like an estate.. multiple buildings, car museum, zoo, they found some of the receipts and stuff they couldn't destroy in time dumped partially burnt and dumped in the reservoir. SO far they have receipts for something like 80 million USD worth of stuff for the house.. His official salary was something like USD$100k.. Pretty obvious he was corrupt as fuck (and he is blatantly in Putin's pocket)

Reply #16 Posted: February 24, 2014, 11:42:15 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator

Reply #17 Posted: February 24, 2014, 01:37:05 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
Spoiler :

reminds me of
Spoiler :

Reply #18 Posted: February 24, 2014, 03:11:43 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I hope he is dead and all his supporters died with him.

And while he is heading that way, he should take Alexander Lukashenko with him.
High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/316f0af0-9d7d-11e3-83c5-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2uGvTQTdc

Viktor Yanukovich’s whereabouts remained unknown for a third day on Monday, as rumours swirled that Ukraine’s deposed president was hiding out in Crimea, a pro-Moscow stronghold with easy water access to Russia via the Black Sea.

While a few Ukrainian news outlets reported on Sunday night that Mr Yanukovich had succeeded in fleeing the country on his private yacht – the Bandido – by late Monday there were no reports of his arrival at a foreign destination. His options for escape, meanwhile, appeared to be narrowing.

edit: Pyromaniks Post
Yeh she looks fit, but can be scorpian tailed I hear.
Plus the Princess Leia look never really did anything for me, personally.

I liked Timoshekno, thought she was jailed out of some bullshit corruption charges, but more importantly by corrupt folks angling for a look in, which they succeeded at. Now the country is how it is. So we'll see how this goes now.

She and her husband opposed Russia's extortion fees for Oil. The official charges are that she was paid to do so.

Why would someone be paid money (considerably less money too) to not be paid money from someone else? The charges are ridiculous.

Then again, New Zealand spies on its own citizens and allows Foreign Powers to trample on peoples rights so, judge not less yea be judged I suppose
Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:16:15 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #19 Posted: February 25, 2014, 09:09:17 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
So Russia has invaded:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26379722

Footage on the news showed APC's, helicopters and armed troops.  Have a friend who lives in the Ukraine, kinda hoping this turns out just to be posturing.

Reply #20 Posted: March 01, 2014, 06:37:59 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!

Reply #21 Posted: March 01, 2014, 07:05:55 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
News Reports:

Russia invading Ukraine - says Kiev
The Euromaidan Facebook has been keeping track of actions, but they cant keep up with the news
https://www.facebook.com/emaidanua

This isnt going to be like Georgia/South Ossetian War. This is International

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Ossetia_war

Reply #22 Posted: March 01, 2014, 08:40:19 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
How far could RUS possibly push this while still saying, "What? I'm not touching you. I'm not. Guys I'm not touching him".

Reply #23 Posted: March 02, 2014, 06:21:06 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline prolax

• Administrator

Reply #24 Posted: March 02, 2014, 10:05:53 pm