Topic: Advanced C# Tutorials

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
I am looking for some decent c# tutorials which go beyond the basics. My knowledge set is enough to do most of the "basic" stuff (web interfacing, interacting with forms, multithreading, linq etc), but as soon as i start looking into more advanced stuff (delgates, enums, DLLimport, events, serial handling etc) I generally get lost pretty fast. Which ends up with me either copying a whole bunch of code i have no idea how to use, or having to google each part and get a half understanding.

So wondering if there is any good resources for learning the more complex (atleast to me) things, in a similar format that is readily available for learning basic coding. So something which works you through the concepts step by step, rather than finding 4 concepts you dont understand in one code example.

Posted: March 12, 2014, 04:02:11 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I have a good C# book, it's propping up my monitor. C# In Depth by Jon Skeet

MSDN is a good place to start
There is some stuff here, although it's from 2003, so a bit out of date, but covers delegates and events; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

Reply #1 Posted: March 12, 2014, 04:26:27 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
StackOverflow. Best tutorial ever. And it's interactive.

Aside form that, I really hate programming books, so I can't recommend any.

Another Option: Ask a specific question here and I can assist, or maybe help you over Skype etc..

P.S I werk in C#.NET, so not just a random code monkey, I'm a random code monkey that knows .NET :>
Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:44:15 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #2 Posted: March 12, 2014, 05:29:25 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Good point on the msdn tutorials. Completely forgot about them, and mainly reference the main msdn help (which is a bit hit and miss with examples). Will look over them when I have a chance.

In regards to SO, I reference that a lot in regards to trying to find out specific issues, but often run into the same problem as mentioned above, with an overload of information. Not to mention there is always the issue of how the question will be phrased.

Cheers for the offer of help, will definitely take you up on it sometime.

Also found this goldmine during my searching today.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9033/hidden-features-of-c/9035

Don't think I would otherwise ever learn about stuff like the ?? operator, and would do it the slower way.

Reply #3 Posted: March 12, 2014, 06:03:48 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Try ReSharper also. http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/

It comes inbuilt with code optimisations.  http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/features/coding_assistance.html

So when it sees parts of code that can be bettered using language features, it will show you a little message. It's great for getting hints and tips ALONGSIDE your development. So you still have to understand  what you're writing before you do it, but you get a little helper :P

Reply #4 Posted: March 12, 2014, 09:58:14 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
REsharper is the awesome. We use it here at work.

Reply #5 Posted: March 13, 2014, 09:24:32 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Just watching that video, I feel stupid for not having it installed before hand. No idea how I will remember all those hotkeys though.

EDIT: Does suck that it doesn't support express visual studio. Only have non express of 2010, and have switched to 2013 VS to use they online cloud thing.
Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:53:19 pm by toofast

Reply #6 Posted: March 13, 2014, 07:07:41 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Just watching that video, I feel stupid for not having it installed before hand. No idea how I will remember all those hotkeys though.

EDIT: Does suck that it doesn't support express visual studio. Only have non express of 2010, and have switched to 2013 VS to use they online cloud thing.
Yeah don't use express, it's balls. Obtain a license to VS2012 or VS2013, and use those :>

Reply #7 Posted: March 15, 2014, 10:38:01 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline toofast

• Addicted

Yeah don't use express, it's balls. Obtain a license to VS2012 or VS2013, and use those :>

Is it really balls. Have flicked between the two versions quite a bit, and I rarely find features I use specific to the studio edition. I mean I noticed just recently that 2012 express (for some reason i have 2010 Studio and 2013 express at home, and 2012 express at work) doesn't let you select where you want to build it (in terms of release and debug), but thats hardly a game breaker for me.

Regardless did some searching at work, and was able to get our VS2013 key from msdn. So time to switch.

Reply #8 Posted: March 15, 2014, 10:58:55 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Thought I would post this here.

http://blog.stephencleary.com/

Has a lot of interesting posts about concurrency in c#. Was quite good at bringing me up to speed with async and Tasks, after realising i was stuck in the 90s with my Thread & Backgroundworker usage.

Reply #9 Posted: March 10, 2015, 10:46:31 pm