Topic: Looking for new webhost, any suggestions?

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Doesn't need to be too fancy, needs to be able to run SMF. Prefer NZ based

Let my temporary quick solution of 24/7 Hosting in the short term become waaayyy too longterm.

24/7 Hosting: Not even once. Thank fuck my domain isn't with them or I'd never get it out of there

Posted: July 16, 2014, 09:13:47 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
Talk to the nimmo we have hosting :D

Reply #1 Posted: July 16, 2014, 09:30:08 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Yup - for gamers we can do cPanel hosting as necessary - if you have me on FB, fire me a message. If you don't add me, or PM me, and we can chat about the deets.

Reply #2 Posted: July 16, 2014, 09:34:04 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
24/7 Hosting: Not even once. Thank fuck my domain isn't with them or I'd never get it out of there

Owner has been up on fraud charges (or something like that) in the past too IIRC.
Fuck knows how they're still going. Mostly because people derp hard and get suckered in by low prices, because you never pay for quality, right?
I've not used them, but I've dealt with them on behalf of a client.

Personal recommendation goes to webdrive, or their cloud service that amounts to $1/day if you know what you're doing (just get server for that, setup and management is your perogitive).

But if just shared host then freeparking (ICONZ LOL) seem to be pretty popular.

Reply #3 Posted: July 20, 2014, 11:41:42 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Cheers guys, I've got something sorted.

Hoopla hosting have been giving out a free month of service for 24/7 refugees

The more I look into this, the more I laugh

http://www.3news.co.nz/Embattled-web-provider-faces-new-accusations/tabid/423/articleID/345997/Default.aspx
http://livenews.co.nz/2014/06/05/notice-to-customers-of-247-hosting/
http://techday.com/telco-review/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-247-hosting-nz/184984/

All of their social media outlets have been shut down as well, probably due to the amount of hatred being spewed at them.

Arsey, I'll be in touch at a later date, my main worry at not losing the space has been solved, now I can start looking and planning an update and will check out your offer then

Reply #4 Posted: July 20, 2014, 12:16:59 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I'm not surprised. He's done the exact same thing before.
Seems to slip away from legal trouble, and starts another business doing the exact same thing.

It really surprises me that none of these articles mention the fact that this guy has a history of doing this, in this same industry. IIRC there's some name change scandal too he used to try and convolute/get away from the last business he took payments from customers & never delivered the deliverables... or held domains at ransom, etc.

Commerce commission should be all over this guy like a rash. Let alone various legal parties.
But no, he's let alone to open/buy another business doing the same shit and repeating history, complete with all the same lies and bullshit. Oh yeah, and the company is registered to an office that doesn't exist (last I checked), which is illegal in its own iirc.

And judging by the timing and responses I recieved when their support did get back to me (this is about 1 year ago - mid 2013 iirc), I'm reasonably sure that it's all actually just the one guy "Cam" under pseudonyms (support guy was "Kev" or something like that), I had comparison emails and stuff to compare to with the client I was dealing on behalf of and they look like they're all written by the same chap (despite different names), in terms of language, structure, rudeness, presumptions, dismissals, etc.

I think he might have been the chap behing 'SAFI tech', although that might have just been me making a tenuious connection as they too had issues and collapsed around the same time as this dodgy chaps first company (which I think may have been unnamed) in the article I read.
Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:40:35 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #5 Posted: July 20, 2014, 04:23:19 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
It appears 24/7 hosting will be on fair go tonight

Reply #6 Posted: August 06, 2014, 08:02:00 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
ICONZ

hosted by iHug

Reply #7 Posted: August 06, 2014, 08:19:59 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I loled last night

'I have a $10 a month website which is critical to my business, it was offline for 9 days!'

If you are paying Peanuts, you are getting Monkeys.

Think on this - is your website a $10 a month investment - does it generate more than $10 a month in revenue/sales/leads for your business?

If the answer is yes - then maybe you should think about your decision

Reply #8 Posted: August 07, 2014, 10:33:48 am

Offline Pyromanik

Don't be silly, that's not the Kiwi SMB way!

I also often found that 'critical to my business' often really wasn't. At all.
Or is, in the way that having an ipad is CRITICAL to business - it makes one 'appear more professional and successful'.

Because if it really were critical, there'd be a sound investment in a quality backup plan, in which place retrieving an off site other party provided backup and plonking it on another host wouldn't be an issue.
Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:51:30 am by Pyromanik

Reply #9 Posted: August 07, 2014, 10:46:10 am

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Hands up who has an extensive product catalogue on their website that isn't backed up.

Dumb.

Reply #10 Posted: August 07, 2014, 11:13:16 am

lol @ console hate

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Backups are essential

Like, say, if someone got mad and just walked the servers your stuff was hosted on out of the data center.. or if there was a natural disaster..

Having off site backups would be essential to restoring functionality on alternate hosts.. even losing a day or so of data is better than losing it all..

Reply #11 Posted: August 07, 2014, 11:46:38 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Fun times when your Circuit to your Alternate DC where you have your offsite backups is running slow and the ISP doesn't seem to be able to fix it

Reply #12 Posted: August 07, 2014, 01:16:15 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
I'm looking at migrating my server farm from the cloud to a datacentre. I have heard 247hosting is good, thoughts?

Reply #13 Posted: August 07, 2014, 05:39:54 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Speakman

do itttt

Them move it away immediately for added impact

Anyone got a link to fair go article?

Reply #14 Posted: August 07, 2014, 09:14:22 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
do itttt

Them move it away immediately for added impact

Anyone got a link to fair go article?

Here

In true tech/internet fashion they mock 24/7's poor spelling. It's pretty funny.

Reply #15 Posted: August 08, 2014, 08:16:17 am

lol @ console hate