Topic: Trying to install Win 7

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
FI(UE(U@)JW)@JW)@JPOJW@

This is doing my head in.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, wicked little thing. I also have an Intel 80GB SSD that I want to put into my laptop. Currently, my laptop has Windows 8. I would like to fresh install Win 7 on my SSD. Currently, my laptop has a 750GB HDD which I want to replace with my SSD.

I've tried removing the HDD, putting in the SSD and booting from my Win 7 DVD. When it loads the files and reboots to start the install, it hangs indefinitely at the loading screen.

I've tried installing Win 7 to the SSD while the SSD is in an external enclosure through this process: (because the traditional Windows 7 install process wont install to a USB device) http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7-to-usb-external-hard-drive-must-read/ but rebooting once the install finishes whether the SSD is placed into my laptop or whether I boot from it off of USB it tells me "OS not found".

I've tried testing an install with my Vista disc by booting from it, it wont even boot from the Vista DVD to attempt an install.

I thought the MBR might be fudged on my SSD but the process described above (URL) sorts out the MBR during the install process.

Is my laptop purposefully forcing me to stay with Windows 8 and forcing me to stay with the HDD it came with? The 750GB HDD currently in my laptop has OEM partitions with Windows 8 install on it. I wouldn't mind keeping Windows 8 but I have no way of installing it on my SSD (don't have an install disc).

My next step is to grab an app that will give me a readout of my Win 8 product key and then download a Win 8 Pro install ISO, see if that'll work.

Any other suggestions?

Posted: January 17, 2015, 05:05:01 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
ssd may need drivers for win 7 so the laptop reads it.

I know of several laptops that need Ahci drivers for ssd's.

if you do the install and finish it like you did on the external usb the reason it doesn't boot when in the machine is due to it not knowing the partition table to boot when it is in the machine as in the hardware bus etc is not correct, you could put it in the machine then fire up win 7 setup again and go to the repair stuff and repair the partition table and gpt

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Reply #1 Posted: January 17, 2015, 08:13:33 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I don't think I can boot to the windows 7 repair stuff as when it does its first boot, it gives me the option of pressing a key to boot from the disc, then it loads the files and goes to reboot into the installation - this is when it hangs and I don't actually get to start the install or choose to repair.

Reply #2 Posted: January 17, 2015, 09:57:24 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
SSD shouldn't need drivers, unless that PC needs sata drivers for windows.

Rather than booting off a CD/DVD, try writing a windows 7 install to a USB stick, booting off that.

Reply #3 Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:54:02 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

YUS.

Your suggestion put me on the right path, Lias.

I made a bootable Win 7 USB but it was throwing up the "OS not found" when I tried to boot from it. So I came to the conclusion that my VAIO wouldn't boot from flash media.

Turns out I had to change the boot mode in BIOS from UEFI to legacy. Now installing Win 7 on my SSD from a USB stick.

NOICE.

Reply #4 Posted: January 18, 2015, 08:40:09 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Give that man some rep

Reply #5 Posted: January 19, 2015, 10:58:24 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

So a new problem.

I just learned through Googling that Sony VAIO is no longer a thing. Apparently their VAIO PC's and laptops have been sold off which is why I was wandering into dead ends when it came to support.

Anyway, after installing Windows 7 I realised I needed drivers which brought about a dark cloud. My particular model was never sold in NZ (SVS131C1DW). I come across subtle references that at one stage it was a unit sold in the Middle East or perhaps India. I can get drivers available for the SVS13 series which cover my model but they're all incredibly old (2012) and half of them don't install properly (even after I install all of them, I still can't install the NVidia driver as it tells me I still need to install an Intel driver). I am also unable to source the VAIO apps that give me access to the hotkeys and power swapping (going from stamina settings to speed settings via a hardware switch on the unit).

Anyway, after all that I pulled out my SSD and put back in my 750GB HDD and have done a fresh install of Windows 8 from the hidden OEM partition that installs all the drivers and apps I need. What I plan to do is to make an image of this install and then install the image on my SSD now that I know what I have to do to let me laptop boot from flash based media.

So, because it's been a while since I have played with OS imaging software (only name I know is Norton's Ghost and Acronis) what would be my best bet to get in order to image this current install and then apply it to my SSD via a USB connection?

Reply #6 Posted: January 19, 2015, 04:10:01 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Acronis allows you to do that, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure it allows you to chose which drive to image?

Reply #7 Posted: January 19, 2015, 06:32:01 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me