Topic: The coffee thread

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11471241

I don't understand why so many people are complaining. Everyone complains about the traffic in Auckland (even people not from Auckland), yet they don't want to pay anything to fix the problem.

It would see an average 9.9 per cent rise in residential rates, costed at $214 for the average household.
However, last night it was reported that thousands of ratepayers faced increases of more than $1000, mainly because of large increases in the latest property valuations and a big hike in the last step to a new rating system, or both.

This morning, Mr Brown told Radio New Zealand there would be a "significant" number of people who would notice an increase in their rates as a consequence of revaluation. There would also be thousands who would receive "significant decreases" in their rates as a result of the revaluation, he said.

The average increase is $214, that's nothing. Us Aucklanders spend more then that on coffee each year. As a ratepayer, I'll happily pay that if it means we'll get improvements around transport.

Those people getting increases of $1000 or more, it's only because they have been paying really low rates all this time compared to everyone else, so this increase is only making them pay their fair share.
Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:15:01 pm by Plain old Spacemonkey

Posted: June 26, 2015, 11:08:48 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
A similar thing is happening here, they are looking at putting the rates up by 10%

There are pro's and cons..
I know of some staff at the council that go to work and screw around most of the day, they could be fired, and money could be saved
I also know that money doesn't grow on trees, and if I want to keep the streets tidy, then I have to pay more, because the gardeners paycheck has to go up with inflation just like I expect mine to

10% over a year, when broken down, isn't actually as much as people make it out to be.. because like you said, lots of people spend more than that on coffee in a year.

A lot of people will cry hardship though

Reply #1 Posted: June 26, 2015, 11:36:01 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
The multi-million dollar question is this:

Are they actually going to fix Auckland's transport issues or are they (based on the prospectus they sent out) just going to do a half-arsed job like they always do?

As for rates - its easy to say $214 isn't much, but if you consider that some Auckland houses have had in the space of a year a 20% increase in value, combine that with a 10% increase in rates - it is significant for some people (who are already close to the bone with rates)

Reply #2 Posted: June 26, 2015, 11:47:14 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
As for rates - its easy to say $214 isn't much,

For a lot of people it's less.

Of course the herald wouldn't want you to think that.

How much will rates rise in dollar terms?
The package is costed at $214 for the average household. Some households get a decrease, but tens of thousands will face an increase of more than $1000.

If "tens of thousands" will get an increase of more than $1000, and the average is only $214, then more then "tens of thousands" will be paying less then $214, that's how averages work.

Those people getting $1000 increases have probably had their rates subsided all these years by those people who are now only getting a small increase or decrease. It's just levelling out the field and making everyone pay a fair share.

Reply #3 Posted: June 26, 2015, 12:38:41 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
but is that 10% increase just for roading?

Could they spring another 5% on it for bacon sammies and then 3% for tomacco sauce?

If they keep adding to it is where it gets tricky, been lots of rates changes in chch since quakes, hard to keep up of what's where, thankfully I left the shambolic CCC area and don't pay em shit anymore.

Reply #4 Posted: June 26, 2015, 06:10:59 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

My coffee this morning cost $4.50

All complaints about rate increase are now irrelevant.

The interim transport levy is only for 3 years anyway.

My dad showed me the rates for their house in Rotorua, twice as must as what we're paying here in Auckland. Us Aucklanders should count ourselves lucky.
Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:06:33 pm by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #5 Posted: June 30, 2015, 11:58:23 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!

The interim transport levy is only for 3 years anyway.

With all Due respect:

Bullshit.

Reply #6 Posted: June 30, 2015, 12:25:37 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I don't have an issue with Auckland traffic. It's the attitudes of the impatient dick-holes who're in the traffic that send me into a rage, same with Wellington.

Reply #7 Posted: June 30, 2015, 04:07:10 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
All complaints about rate increase are now irrelevant.

My dad showed me the rates for their house in Rotorua, twice as must as what we're paying here in Auckland. Us Aucklanders should count ourselves lucky.
Yes. And Yes.

Wellington rates are about twice that too.

$500k ~= $2700py (area dependent ofc)

And you are being ripped off for your coffee. I paid $4.23
Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:20:07 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #8 Posted: June 30, 2015, 04:18:25 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I like Auckland coffee. The cups are smaller but lattes usually taste better.

Thread is now about coffee.

Reply #9 Posted: June 30, 2015, 09:48:05 pm

My new job has a fancy coffee machines.

Grinds the beans and froths the milk automagically.

Reply #10 Posted: July 01, 2015, 08:41:10 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I'm terrified that my new job will not have good coffee.

Reply #11 Posted: July 01, 2015, 09:24:48 am

I'm terrified that my new job will not have good coffee.

If it doesn't, you should quit the first day, then storm out of the building in an angry rage.

Reply #12 Posted: July 01, 2015, 10:06:41 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
This is one thing Wellington does well. Coffee.

Mmmm dat Triple Shot Macchiato

Reply #13 Posted: July 01, 2015, 11:09:55 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I'm rocking a Nespresso machine (Latissimo+). Upside - great coffee, easy to clean, super quick.

Downside - the Nespresso capsules are non-recyclable, and you have to drop them back at a Nespresso shop in order to have them re-used. Found an NZ company that imports capsules that are made form plant fibres, so they're biodegradable. Taste great, but the Nespresso capsules are god-tier.

Also have a grinder and plunger, so occasionally I'll buy Mojo beans or Havana X-Blend.

Reply #14 Posted: July 01, 2015, 12:05:36 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I have coffee issues
The ground floor cafe makes a pretty good coffee
The cafe just down the road makes a better coffee, unless a certain staff member is working, then they make a horrible coffee.

So, I can walk down the road for a better coffee, but there's a 25% chance it will suck.

Reply #15 Posted: July 01, 2015, 12:13:04 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

I have coffee issues
The ground floor cafe makes a pretty good coffee
The cafe just down the road makes a better coffee, unless a certain staff member is working, then they make a horrible coffee.

So, I can walk down the road for a better coffee, but there's a 25% chance it will suck.

Simple, get that staff member fired.

Next time they serve you a coffee, sneak a dead rat in it or something, then complain that there's a dead rat in your coffee.

Of course this requires you to go to work with a dead rat in your pocket.

Reply #16 Posted: July 01, 2015, 12:17:22 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
I hate coffee

but I am partial to the occassional Hot Chocolate (when its cold and wet)

Reply #17 Posted: July 01, 2015, 01:48:54 pm

but I am partial to the occassional Hot Chocolate (when its cold and wet)

If a Hot Chocolate is cold and wet, then it's not a hot chocolate anymore.

Reply #18 Posted: July 01, 2015, 01:52:12 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer

Reply #19 Posted: July 01, 2015, 02:02:35 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I'm rocking a Nespresso machine (Latissimo+). Upside - great coffee, easy to clean, super quick.

Rii you can buy metal based pods that you can put your own grinds in that are reusable like over 9000 times.

Reply #20 Posted: July 01, 2015, 02:53:29 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

84-year-old hit with rates rise of $4725

A family are livid at a $4725 rates rise for their elderly mother and say it points to a fundamental problem with property rates.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11482297

Sure on the face of it, it sounds crazy.

But she lives 3000sqm section, valued at $5.6 million, in Mt Eden, by herself.

You could build 6 house in that same space, housing 24 people. No wonder we have a property shortage when we have these massive sections in the city with nothing on them.

There is no fundamental problem with property rates, it's fine. The family should sell the property, then they could buy a really nice house on a smaller section for their mum, and still have millions left over.

I would happily trade positions with them. I wouldn't be livid, I'd be ecstatic.

Reply #21 Posted: July 17, 2015, 08:13:21 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Same with State Housing.. I know someone who's mum has lived in the same state house for 50+ years.. It's a 3 bedroom house, with one old woman and some cats in it for the last 30 years. Move her to a single bedroom place and give the damn 3 bedroom to a family.

Reply #22 Posted: July 17, 2015, 08:36:04 am

Coffee machine broke down at work. :(

And because my rates went up by $3 a week, I can no longer afford coffee from a café.

This is all Len "Park my electric car wherever I want" Browns fault.

Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:43:06 am by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #23 Posted: July 17, 2015, 09:40:27 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
84-year-old hit with rates rise of $4725

A family are livid at a $4725 rates rise for their elderly mother and say it points to a fundamental problem with property rates.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11482297

Sure on the face of it, it sounds crazy.

But she lives 3000sqm section, valued at $5.6 million, in Mt Eden, by herself.

You could build 6 house in that same space, housing 24 people. No wonder we have a property shortage when we have these massive sections in the city with nothing on them.

There is no fundamental problem with property rates, it's fine. The family should sell the property, then they could buy a really nice house on a smaller section for their mum, and still have millions left over.

I would happily trade positions with them. I wouldn't be livid, I'd be ecstatic.

Agree completely. She is living in a huge asset that takes a great deal of space. She can easily access funds to pay the inevitable costs of such a large property. Her children will be benefitting enormously in the not too distant future. Maybe they could pay them for her.

Reply #24 Posted: July 17, 2015, 03:09:57 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here